PDA

View Full Version : driving with foggies on...

RobCDX
3rd May 2008, 08:38 PM
hey all

just curious, how many ppl here drive with their foggies and headlights on at night? and have the cops told you to turn the foggies off?

i went thru an RBT the other nite and was told to turn my foggies off, yet there were plenty of other cars cruising around with them on. anyone know what rule/regulation is in regards to foggies.

on a side note, most cars nowadays come with foggies as more of a looks thing rather than function (that's in my opinion thought)

thanks in advance ur replies

jerrypufflewell
3rd May 2008, 08:57 PM
Yep the law says you can't drive with them on unless it's foggy/smokey.
Know someone nearby that got fined, but it doesn't happen very often. Heaps of people do it, but I don't. Not really because of the law, but because I think they're uneccesary (unless it's foggy, obviously).

poita
3rd May 2008, 09:00 PM
been covered many times before, usually ends in an argument
some say fog lights, some say drving lights
yada yada yada yada

*waits for the shit slinging to beign*

immenotu
3rd May 2008, 09:06 PM
I use mine in bad weather and whenever im driving on the freeway (to make my car more noticable for the idiots who dont pay attention when they drive) Other than that I just use my headlights.

SSS_Hoon
3rd May 2008, 09:47 PM
i drive at night with my headlights on yes i think everyone should.

as for fog lights no i hate the ppl that drive with them on at night and even daytime its just so wrong.(unless the conditions call for it that is then its all god).

SSS_Hoon

sooty
3rd May 2008, 09:56 PM
yada yada yada yada

I'll say nothing other than i use them at night, and never been told anything by any cops whilst going through RBT's :)

chrissn89
4th May 2008, 12:09 PM
I'll say nothing other than i use them at night, and never been told anything by any cops whilst going through RBT's :)

+1

glider
4th May 2008, 12:10 PM
+1

cops up here dont seem to take any notice of them...

NEMO
4th May 2008, 12:35 PM
I hate guys driving around with them during the day... so GAY

JR
4th May 2008, 12:42 PM
i use foggies at night when i'm on the freeway.

i also use them in low light conditions (e.g. evenings) when there is no point having ur headlights on. parkers r not bright enough and ur not noticeable (by idiots who don't look properly). its a SAFETY/VISIBILITY thing, not a looking good thing. for me at least.

u will notice alot of country roads have signs encouraging drivers to drive with their headlights on at all times, even during the day. i don't see why we can't use the foggies instead (if available). foggies have a lower beam throw and are no where near as strong as headlights, so wats the big fuss!!

thats my 2 cents worth. i know alot of ppl don't like foggies, but can i ask why specifically? besides the fact that it is meant to be used in foggy conditions.
ppl r quick to say its wrong....but why? does it dazzle?

but yes, according to law - u should not be driving with ur foggies on unless there is fog.

jerrypufflewell
4th May 2008, 04:00 PM
foggies have a lower beam throw and are no where near as strong as headlights, so wats the big fuss!!

thats my 2 cents worth. i know alot of ppl don't like foggies, but can i ask why specifically?

They're usually the same power (55W input each) as low-beam, so not "no where near the same power". So if you're using both sets of lights you're projecting about double the light onto the road as someone with just low beams on.
They have a greater vertical and horizontal angular spread allowed (see UNECE / ADRs), so despite being set lower on the front of the vehicle they can cover more area some distance in front of the vehicle, hence more glare or dazzling, whatever you want to call it.

Also in most conditions you don't need them, although I can understand people using them during the day / dusk / dawn.

I have already covered this without anyone taking any notice of me btw :p oh that "discussion" was fun lol

Charlatan
4th May 2008, 04:02 PM
Foglights should be treated like high beam imho. I'll always high beam a driver coming at me with foggies on (usually at the last minute so they cant flash me back :) )

glider
4th May 2008, 07:52 PM
on departure from moogerah this evening, several of us drove past a cop with foggies on... no attempt to stop us..

i must say on the country roads they are bloody useful, coz the angels make sfa light but in the light up areas i turn them off.

treating them like high beams doesnt really work because they dont really daze oncoming cars (i've driven past many people with foggies on and had no issue - that said, marko's (astrauturbo) foggies coming from behind me were a bit bright...)

OPC
4th May 2008, 08:13 PM
yeah i use them day and night my DRIVING LIGHTS

ive also been told by an RBT officer that i couldn't use them

and if someone flashed me whilst i was driving with my DRIVING LIGHTS on id turn around and follow them with my high beams on

Charlatan
4th May 2008, 08:38 PM

and if someone flashed me whilst i was driving with my DRIVING LIGHTS on id turn around and follow them with my high beams on

I guess the RBT officer told you not to use them as its illegal. Shame, he should have fined you as you obviously didnt learn a lesson from his friendly warning. DRIVING lights, fog lights, same thing pal, just different marketing speak

95' GSI
4th May 2008, 08:46 PM
The cops here Rob dont really care, if they see you driving with them on they wont do anything and a lot of the time if they pull you over for any reason they wont say anything.
I have a lot of cop friend and it they say its not illegal to drive with them on when its not foggy but some Anal cops get picky and ask you to turn them off.
Although I personally see nothing wrong with them, now if it was an excel's rear driving light thats a different story...

jerrypufflewell
4th May 2008, 08:49 PM

That's because they're fog lights. Regardless of what Holden called them, according to the law they are fog lights. Driving lights can only be engaged with the high beams.

So you wouldn't need to even flick a switch to follow them with your high beams on because they'd already be on! :rolleyes:

jerrypufflewell
4th May 2008, 09:01 PM
I have a lot of cop friend and it they say its not illegal to drive with them on when its not foggy but some Anal cops get picky and ask you to turn them off.

Presumably all your police friends are in SA as you are. perhaps it's legal in SA, but it's definately illegal in NSW and Victoria. Not sure about the others, but I would guess that Queensland and ACT are the same and nfi about NT, Tasmania or WA.

sooty
4th May 2008, 09:22 PM
This is going downhill again lol...it's the same discussion that's always been had...lock perhaps?

immenotu
4th May 2008, 09:24 PM
This is going downhill again lol...it's the same discussion that's always been had...lock perhaps?

LOL, its funny how 2 little lights can cause so many arguments :)

poita
4th May 2008, 09:25 PM
4 techincally, the cally has em front and back
well mine does ;)

immenotu
4th May 2008, 09:27 PM
well mine does ;)

touche, yeah mine has 4 as well! Ive only ever used the rear ones once. Driving along the freeway at night in the pouring rain.

poita
4th May 2008, 09:30 PM
or 3 if its a shit box excel

immenotu
4th May 2008, 09:31 PM
or 3 if its a shit box excel

Or a suby it seems. Saw 2 suby's the other night with one rear foggy on. They are so annoying to look at.

OPC
4th May 2008, 09:56 PM
I guess the RBT officer told you not to use them as its illegal. Shame, he should have fined you as you obviously didnt learn a lesson from his friendly warning. DRIVING lights, fog lights, same thing pal, just different marketing speak

that time of the month ?

sooty
4th May 2008, 09:58 PM
that time of the month ?

*Watches as this thread starts to decay into what it always does lol*

jerrypufflewell
4th May 2008, 09:59 PM
Or a suby it seems. Saw 2 suby's the other night with one rear foggy on. They are so annoying to look at.

Or a Focus, or a Yaris...

95' GSI
4th May 2008, 10:18 PM
Ok guys, kinda drifting off of topic.

emiliok
4th May 2008, 10:32 PM
its funny how some people get fired up about these things..... who really cares what they are called, ive heard of people being pulled over and asked to turn them off. they r there to help during fog. people who get fired up need to take a strong sedative and have a lie down before you hurt yourselves :cool:

95' GSI
4th May 2008, 10:36 PM
people are simply stating that the laws are different in each state and that some find the rules to be stupid.
Basically thats all Rob was asking, has anyone else been asked to turn them off and about other rules.
People are entitled to their own opinion even if people dont agree with it.

The rules for driving with fog lights on differs and even if they are illegal or not illegal at some point it is very likely that you'd be asked to turn them off if its not foggy.

emiliok
4th May 2008, 10:38 PM
well put

noobie
4th May 2008, 11:12 PM
Never thought about it.

I have mine on whenever i am in the car day or night. Just a habit i suppose.

Get in car.

Switch on lights and foggies (day or night)

meh.

JR
5th May 2008, 12:16 PM
DRIVING lights, fog lights, same thing pal, just different marketing speak

mate....there is HUGE difference between driving lights & foglights - they r NOT the same.

driving lights r basically like ur high beams - they have a long narrow n tall (triangular) beam pattern. see pics.

Driving Beam Pattern
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/hella%20images/FF50_Driving_Pattern.jpg

Fog beam pattern
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/hella%20images/FF50_Fog_Pattern.jpg

i have a pair of driving lights lying in my garage. i had these on before my foglights. they were good, but the amount of people who flashed me n beeped at me...it was not funny. i removed them and replaced them with foglights....never had an issue with other drivers.

if foglights aren't aimed correctly - yes, they will dazzle. that because of their low mounting position to the ground.

anywayz.....each to their own liking.
just frustrating when ppl bag things out when they don't know the facts.

Apex
5th May 2008, 02:30 PM
touche, yeah mine has 4 as well! Ive only ever used the rear ones once. Driving along the freeway at night in the pouring rain.

Same here, I use mine when its pissing down or when someone is tail gating me.

I have my front driving lights on when ever my head lights are on.

glider
5th May 2008, 02:31 PM
when someone is tail gating me..

i did that once to someone in the corsa... they backed the fk off mega fast :D

RobCDX
5th May 2008, 03:06 PM
im not worked up over the issue, just wanted clarification on the issue... coz like most have posted, there are plenty of ppl out there with them on. obviously it does depend on the cop and what mood they're in. thanks for the input guys.. hehe maybe we should leave it there before someone does blow up with frustration.

JohnBu
6th May 2008, 11:01 AM
better than the knobs who drive with just their parkers and foggies on AT NIGHT, using their foggies has headhights, more often than not in a commowhore

cbrmale
8th May 2008, 06:28 PM
Three things:
There is one set of road laws for Australia. In those laws, using foglights is illegal unless it is foggy.

Second, foglights dazzle against the road and especially in the rain. Very inconsiderate for other road users.

Third, foglights use 55W per globe. Using headlights and foglights at night 220W in total), or worse all the time, doesn't leave enough current from the alternator to recharge the battery after starting the engine. Ergo, battery life is severly shortened because the battery is never better than half-charged. Drawing that current also adversely affects fuel economy, and by a surprising amount too.

So for those who boast they use headlights and foglights all the time, not only is it inconsiderate, it is also expensive.

MatsHolden
8th May 2008, 06:30 PM
Three things:
There is one set of road laws for Australia. In those laws, using foglights is illegal unless it is foggy.

Wrong. Each state has individual laws regarding this. In fact Victoria NEVER had it as illegal until recently.

jerrypufflewell
8th May 2008, 08:15 PM
Wrong. Each state has individual laws regarding this. In fact Victoria NEVER had it as illegal until recently.

Yeah, the universal australian road rules only refer to rear fog lights from memory. Still it's illegal in the states where the most population is :p

USC
8th May 2008, 11:07 PM
Ive only used the rear fogs in the sri-t when reversing in a tight space at night..extra light:D other than that, it doesnt look too nice as rear fogs are only on one side.

Ice
8th May 2008, 11:11 PM
Ive only used the rear fogs in the sri-t when reversing in a tight space at night..extra light:D other than that, it doesnt look too nice as rear fogs are only on one side.

on yours maybe but not mine astra G CDX !

immenotu
8th May 2008, 11:37 PM
...it doesnt look too nice as rear fogs are only on one side.

Even my corsa has them on both sides :p :D

Ive used them to reverse park outside my house at night a few times.

USC
9th May 2008, 12:34 AM
strange that the ah sri-t only has it one side unless mine was blown on the other side..but I doubt it cos I pull it off to check. anyone with an H sri-t can confirm?

Red AH SRI T
9th May 2008, 11:10 AM
correct, AH's only have one rear fog light.

There is nothing worse than driving in City traffic with all these tools with their front and rear fog lights on in clear conditions.

Usually little asian girls in their mini's or knobs in their jeeps.

Anywho, i only use my foggies they way they should be. In poor light conditions ie fog, smoke or very heavy rain.

SSS_Hoon
9th May 2008, 11:17 AM
My car has both driving and foglights(well had have since been removed)

the driving lights only come on when high beam is activated, and the fog lights have a switch to make them come on.

Proper adjusted fog lights is all good but driving lights or poorly adjusted fog lights are really annoying.

SSS_Hoon

JR
9th May 2008, 03:01 PM
Proper adjusted fog lights is all good but driving lights or poorly adjusted fog lights are really annoying.
SSS_Hoon

+1
the same thing applies to headlights.

but the number of twats who drive with their highbeams on (when driving between sydney n canberra) is friggin annoying!!! :mad:
mostly cause they have poorly aimed headlights or one doesn't work - highbeams r on!!

i've never seen any problems with other ppl driving with their foglights on, n i've seen shitloads - various shapes, colors n sizes.

Charlatan
10th May 2008, 11:12 AM
mate....there is HUGE difference between driving lights & foglights - they r NOT the same.

driving lights r basically like ur high beams - they have a long narrow n tall (triangular) beam pattern. see pics.

So most cars come with fog lights, not driving lights. Foggies are illegal (in at least some states). And if you think they are DRIVING LIGHTS, you shoulnt be using them.

Good post btw.

Black Nugget
13th May 2008, 03:38 PM
When I first got my TS SRI I drove with the foggies on at night for visibility.

Was told at an RBT that they were illegal unless foggy/inclement conditions as they dazzle oncoming drivers and that it's a 74 dollar fine.

I asked if inclement meant rain etc and he said yes.(This is NSW)

Now I don't drive with them on as I have realised that they can dazzle oncoming drivers and now i sometimes get pissed off with peope who have them on, mostly 4WDs as their higher suspension means that it shines directly into the mirror and thus you get dazzled from behind........I know im a hypocrite,lol :p

jerrypufflewell
13th May 2008, 10:44 PM
+1

but the number of twats who drive with their highbeams on (when driving between sydney n canberra) is friggin annoying!!! :mad:
mostly cause they have poorly aimed headlights or one doesn't work - highbeams r on!!

i've never seen any problems with other ppl driving with their foglights on, n i've seen shitloads - various shapes, colors n sizes.

It doesn't bother me so much on the dual carriageway, however on smaller roads (i.e. Barton Hwy, various state routes) I find fog lights really irritating...

EL BURITO
13th May 2008, 11:31 PM
well today I had to use front and rear due to stupidly heavy rain.

Tfer
14th May 2008, 11:28 AM
on a side note, most cars nowadays come with foggies as more of a looks thing rather than function (that's in my opinion thought)

Certainly is more form than function in most parts of Australia in my opinion....

yada yada yada yada

Peter, Peter, Peter..... you know you want it, just admit it :p

I use mine in bad weather and whenever im driving on the freeway (to make my car more noticable for the idiots who dont pay attention when they drive) Other than that I just use my headlights.

Agreed to making the car more noticeable

i drive at night with my headlights on yes i think everyone should.

as for fog lights no i hate the ppl that drive with them on at night and even daytime its just so wrong.(unless the conditions call for it that is then its all god).

SSS_Hoon

Each to their own mate.... and you have/did have both

I'll say nothing other than i use them at night, and never been told anything by any cops whilst going through RBT's

+ 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 the number of times in recent memory that I have been through an RBT and no one has mentioned the foggies (problem of coming home in the wee hours of the morning after Streetwork I guess)

cops up here dont seem to take any notice of them...

Agreed

Ummm..... no :p

i use foggies at night when i'm on the freeway.

i also use them in low light conditions (e.g. evenings) when there is no point having ur headlights on. parkers r not bright enough and ur not noticeable (by idiots who don't look properly). its a SAFETY/VISIBILITY thing, not a looking good thing. for me at least.

u will notice alot of country roads have signs encouraging drivers to drive with their headlights on at all times, even during the day. i don't see why we can't use the foggies instead (if available). foggies have a lower beam throw and are no where near as strong as headlights, so wats the big fuss!!

thats my 2 cents worth. i know alot of ppl don't like foggies, but can i ask why specifically? besides the fact that it is meant to be used in foggy conditions.
ppl r quick to say its wrong....but why? does it dazzle?

but yes, according to law - u should not be driving with ur foggies on unless there is fog.

Correct... but really not enforced.... we used to have "lights on Fridays" here in SEQ a while back.... was a great initiative. And it is a visibility thing

They're usually the same power (55W input each) as low-beam, so not "no where near the same power". So if you're using both sets of lights you're projecting about double the light onto the road as someone with just low beams on.
They have a greater vertical and horizontal angular spread allowed (see UNECE / ADRs), so despite being set lower on the front of the vehicle they can cover more area some distance in front of the vehicle, hence more glare or dazzling, whatever you want to call it.

Also in most conditions you don't need them, although I can understand people using them during the day / dusk / dawn.

I have already covered this without anyone taking any notice of me btw oh that "discussion" was fun lol

+ 1 :rolleyes:

Foglights should be treated like high beam imho. I'll always high beam a driver coming at me with foggies on (usually at the last minute so they cant flash me back :) )

Inivitation for a road rage issue here me thinks..... :rolleyes:

And there's the proof :rolleyes:

The cops here Rob dont really care, if they see you driving with them on they wont do anything and a lot of the time if they pull you over for any reason they wont say anything.
Although I personally see nothing wrong with them, now if it was an excel's rear driving light thats a different story...

Buwahahahaha :D

Now who wants to be an administrator then? :rolleyes:

well mine does

Same with the Veccy C CDXi :D

Never thought about it.

I have mine on whenever i am in the car day or night. Just a habit i suppose.

Get in car.

Switch on lights and foggies (day or night)

meh.

+ 1 :)

i have a pair of driving lights lying in my garage. i had these on before my foglights. they were good, but the amount of people who flashed me n beeped at me...it was not funny. i removed them and replaced them with foglights....never had an issue with other drivers.

if foglights aren't aimed correctly - yes, they will dazzle. that because of their low mounting position to the ground.

anywayz.....each to their own liking.
just frustrating when ppl bag things out when they don't know the facts.

Used to use driving lights a lot when I lived in the more rural areas of Qld.... great for country roads at night time. ;)

Same here, I use mine when its pissing down or when someone is tail gating me.

I have my front driving lights on when ever my head lights are on.

Only use my rear foggies in the rain on the highways, when I really need other motorists to know I am there :)

Three things:

Second, foglights dazzle against the road and especially in the rain. Very inconsiderate for other road users.

Third, foglights use 55W per globe. Using headlights and foglights at night 220W in total), or worse all the time, doesn't leave enough current from the alternator to recharge the battery after starting the engine. Ergo, battery life is severly shortened because the battery is never better than half-charged. Drawing that current also adversely affects fuel economy, and by a surprising amount too.

So for those who boast they use headlights and foglights all the time, not only is it inconsiderate, it is also expensive.

Point 2: obviously the foggies are not aligned correctly... foglights are designed to spread light low, to get under the fog :rolleyes:

Point 3: ridiculous about the battery life.... just got more than 4 years out of my last battery..... RACQ were amazed it lasted that long :rolleyes:

As for fuel consumption..... pfft.... 3.2l V6 with driver's extensive use of loud pedal..... I doubt the foggies would make much more of an impact :D

My car has both driving and foglights(well had have since been removed)

the driving lights only come on when high beam is activated, and the fog lights have a switch to make them come on.

SSS_Hoon

Agreed :)

+1

but the number of twats who drive with their highbeams on (when driving between sydney n canberra) is friggin annoying!!!

Agreed :)

well today I had to use front and rear due to stupidly heavy rain.

And good for you Laurie :)

I use foggies day and night. Day time for visibility.... the bamboo colour of my Veccy C appears to blend in with the surroundings far too easily, and I would rather be seen by others. Night time.... I like it, and don't seem to have caused any other driver any issues.

As stated before, everytime I have been pulled up by the Qld Police (for whatever reason), the foggies were not mentioned.

My 2 cents..... ;)

Taffy
4th June 2008, 04:31 PM
I looked in to this recently as in the UK it is very against the law to use them and I couldnt understand why everyone here was able to drive past the cops with nothing happening to them.

Apparently, in QLD, there is no legislation about FRONT fog lights. As long as they meet the Australian Design Standards then there is no problem.

I did hear of one person being told to turn theirs off, but they were driving a Subaru with the huge round fog lights.

tomburke7
4th June 2008, 07:19 PM

Maybe its the way gay guy signal each other. It must mean "Hey Bob, I am fag, do you want to #$uk?"

low astra
4th June 2008, 09:51 PM
I looked in to this recently as in the UK it is very against the law to use them and I couldnt understand why everyone here was able to drive past the cops with nothing happening to them.

Apparently, in QLD, there is no legislation about FRONT fog lights. As long as they meet the Australian Design Standards then there is no problem.

I did hear of one person being told to turn theirs off, but they were driving a Subaru with the huge round fog lights.

i had being told to turn them off in my old astra, but i think it was becasue the guy in front of me complained to the officer that was givin the rbt we were stoped at,

my work ute has no fog lights, and the highbeams short out and turn off all the lights if u turn them off, haha its great ill have to fix that this weekend

Tigra
5th June 2008, 03:31 PM
All comes down to the attitude of the officer who pull you over for it. Some are anal over it, some are not. However, DIY fogs lamps tend to gain more attention then factory fitted lights because their normally brighter than the headlights.

Think the NSW ticket is $79 (Zero Points) for the offence of "Unlawful use of fog lamps". Definition of unlawful use is on the way, standby.

Tigra
5th June 2008, 03:50 PM
Okay, here goes:

Correct Offence is "Unlawful use of fog lamp"

Infringement Amount $79 with zero demerit points

ROAD TRANSPORT (SAFETY AND TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT) (ROAD RULES) REGULATION 1999 - REG 55

(a) any fog light affixed to a motor vehicle on a road to be lighted except in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility

More information in relation to lights on vehicles at:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/rtatmrr1999607/s55.html

entice
5th June 2008, 04:00 PM
Okay, here goes:

Correct Offence is "Unlawful use of flog lamp"

[/URL]

What's a "flog lamp" and where do I get me one?

Oh, And Best post of all time..."TFER"...

but indeed, life mustn't be all that short if you've had time to research and put that up.... My hat goes off to ya!

Tigra
5th June 2008, 04:24 PM
My hat goes off to ya!

Thanks, anytime.

deviant
5th June 2008, 04:46 PM
I have never used my front fogs but I have used my rear ones in heavy rain and the once a decade there is decent fog (a slight mistiness does not warrant them).

Having lived in the UK most of my life where heavy fog is common I have found that on most modern cars the front fogs are next to useless. They just reflect back out of the fog so dropping my speed and using side lights only always worked better.
Another useless thing about fog lights is that they are nearly always white...yellow fogs work brilliantly in heavy fog as the moisture in the air does not scatter the beam....there is science behind it but I forget now.

Personally I find fog lights (front and rear) to be very distracting...but I also find misuse of any lights on a car distracting and really wish correct use of the lights was covered in the driving test, its amazing how many people dont know what the dash indications for fogs and highbeam are!!!
Hopefully this will make the legal ramifications and consideration for others more public knowledge which would then encourage better indicating and encourage people to fix and adjust their lights instead of just sticking them on highbeam and forgetting about them.

GreyRex
5th June 2008, 04:54 PM
...its amazing how many people dont know what the dash indications for fogs and highbeam are!!!

I hate to generalise, but this applies to the constant... constant... CONSTANT Hyundais (specifically the Excel from around 2000) driving around with them on.

It is so flipping annoying.

For most cars (including ours)... you need the front fog lights/driving lights on to activate the rear one.

Because the Hyundai Eggshells don't have driving lights... they can obviously have it on with just their low beam... driving home from wherever on the crystal clear nights, blinding everyone

Ok rant over lol

jerrypufflewell
6th June 2008, 12:03 AM
For most cars (including ours)... you need the front fog lights/driving lights on to activate the rear one.

That seems odd to me, I thought it was always just headlights that allowed you to activate the rear foglights... It is on every car I've driven anyway, might be a new thing?

EL BURITO
6th June 2008, 12:42 AM
That seems odd to me, I thought it was always just headlights that allowed you to activate the rear foglights... It is on every car I've driven anyway, might be a new thing?
on mine (K its not a Astra) but it gos Park lights, front then rear

normal beam can go on after parks are on.

rear needs fronts to be on

jerrypufflewell
6th June 2008, 10:38 AM
Does it allow you to go just park, full beam then rear?

JR
6th June 2008, 11:06 AM

thats not true :naughty:
u do not need front foglights "on" to activate ur rear foglights. infact, u do not need front foglights fullstop.

proof - take the ts astra city. it doesn't come standard with front foglights, but it has rear foglights which can b used. they can only b activated once ur headlights r on.

+1

Tigra
6th June 2008, 01:44 PM
thats not true :naughty:
u do not need front foglights "on" to activate ur rear foglights. infact, u do not need front foglights fullstop.

Same as the Tigra - Only need park lights on to activate the front fog lamps. However, dont need the fog lamps on to activate the rear ones. Use it all the time in the Blue Mountains.

immenotu
6th June 2008, 01:54 PM
Same as the Tigra - Only need park lights on to activate the front fog lamps. However, dont need the fog lamps on to activate the rear ones. Use it all the time in the Blue Mountains.

Yep, my Corsa is the same. Can have rear fogs on without the front one's.

poita
6th June 2008, 06:00 PM
yep same as the calibra, it has a seperate switch for each :)

poita
6th June 2008, 08:55 PM
as per qld transport

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb4f760ad029417/QRR_part13_lights_and_warning_devices.pdf

217 Using rear fog lights
(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with a rear fog light must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or
other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) In this section—
rear fog light means a light fitted to a vehicle to make it more easily visible from the rear in fog.

poita
17th June 2008, 02:24 PM
new Vic laws to add fuel to the fire

A new law regarding the use of front fog lights was also announced today.

Minister for Roads and Ports, Tim Pallas, said that using front fog lights in any other conditions apart from hazardous weather conditions was now prohibited.

“Fog lamps turned on when there is no fog can cause glare, affecting other road users’ ability to see and drive safely,” Mr Pallas said.

“The new law brings the use of front fog lights in line with rules for using rear fog lights, reflecting community expectations and improving road safety.

“If drivers use their fog lights under conditions which are not foggy or hazardous they could face fines of $116.”

Snotty
17th June 2008, 03:00 PM
in my old astra i replaced the 21w rear fog globes with 5w globes and just used the fogs as additional tail lights (when i remembered to switch them on) however would be very easy to wire them up to the tail light feed so they automatically turned on when you turn your lights on.

something different for people who never use the rear fogs like me.

Black Nugget
17th June 2008, 03:14 PM
in my old astra i replaced the 21w rear fog globes with 5w globes and just used the fogs as additional tail lights (when i remembered to switch them on) however would be very easy to wire them up to the tail light feed so they automatically turned on when you turn your lights on.

something different for people who never use the rear fogs like me.

man they're not fog lights, they're a dickhead tailgater removal system. gets the bogan of your back with a flick of a switch:D

Snotty
17th June 2008, 03:19 PM
thats a pussys way of doing it, i actually do hit the brakes, not petend to. :p

PS. Im usually that dickhead in your mirror, you're driving too slow, get out of the way! (idiots who sit on the f3 in the right lane driving miss daisy take note!) :D

Black Nugget
17th June 2008, 03:22 PM
thats a pussys way of doing it, i actually do hit the brakes, not petend to. :p

PS. Im usually that dickhead in your mirror, you're driving too slow, get out of the way! (idiots who sit on the f3 in the right lane driving miss daisy take note!) :D

no I am not a right lane hogger - overtaking only, but there alot of people who tailgate in the inner lane or tailgate you when youre being held up

and im not gonna actually brake.......then it means ill be late!