PDA

View Full Version : TwinTop... who's got one?

tim_
30th April 2008, 12:06 PM
Just thought I'd ask, because I haven't seen any on here... who's got a TwinTop? I got a promotion and I can now easily afford one so I thought I'd upgrade the old CD. Just want to know what people think of them as owners.

USC
30th April 2008, 12:58 PM
heavy...:p

EL BURITO
30th April 2008, 01:01 PM
slow.

get a VXR

SSS_Hoon
30th April 2008, 01:13 PM
Thought about the VW EOS much better looking then the twin top.

Although i dont see all that many twin tops getitng round think only ever seen about 5 or so i would say.

SSS_Hoon

USC
30th April 2008, 01:16 PM
I like the TS convertible better.

imay
30th April 2008, 01:29 PM
Go here www.astratwintop.net and chat with these guys. They've had them longer and probably know a lot more about them.

Personally, don't mind them (the more I see the more I don't mind the looks), just have a big problem with the fussy roof operation and the extra 200+ kg more than my TS convertible they weigh. Only a couple of kW and Nm extra from the direct injection 2.2 and all that extra weight makes for a somewhat sluggish cruiser.
But if you don't mind that, and really like the idea of a TwinTop . . . GO FOR IT!

And still no word from Holden whether they are bringing out a special trim model, a turbo, or a diesel. Last official word I heard was "they're selling quite well, so Holden don't see the need to have a special model."

tim_
30th April 2008, 01:47 PM
hmmm. okay. i was considering the vxr or srit as an alternative, but i've always liked the idea of having a convertible! i might have to take a few diff cars for a test drive. the tt site is pretty good... lots of issues, but i've had plenty with the ah hatch!

Wraith
30th April 2008, 02:26 PM
Just thought I'd ask, because I haven't seen any on here... who's got a TwinTop? I got a promotion and I can now easily afford one so I thought I'd upgrade the old CD. Just want to know what people think of them as owners.

As far as I know we do not have any members here with a twin top, which is a shame, as it's one of the nicest, if not the nicest looking AH...

As for your choice, I and Ian (Imay), can understand where your coming from as we too are convertible owners :)

I would seriously consider getting one, if GMH bring in the turbo variants...

Otherwise my personal choice for a vert in this class is the Eos - hands down fantastic vehicle for the money, no surprises it's the class leader...

Otherwise for a lower price tag and proportionally less car, I'd grab the new Pug 207cc turbo, in the right colour, they look the goods and you won't be mistaken for a gay hairdresser :D

Calibrated
30th April 2008, 02:31 PM
Thought about the VW EOS much better looking then the twin top.

Gay Car of the Year 2007

Wraith
30th April 2008, 02:37 PM
Gay Car of the Year 2007

Your kidding right ?? the Eos is a sensational car...

I thought gay car of the year 2007 went to the Renault Clio ;) with the Megane in 2nd place :D

Calibrated
30th April 2008, 02:44 PM
Your kidding right ?? the Eos is a sensational car...

I thought gay car of the year 2007 went to the Renault Clio ;) with the Megane in 2nd place :D
nope. not kidding..

Best Ride for the Trendy Gay Man
2007 Volkswagen EOS (http://cars.about.com/od/buyingadvice/ig/New-and-redesigned-2007-cars/2007-Volkswagen-Eos-top-up.htm)
Another topless taker on the top gay list. VW's old Rabbit had to be the gayest car ever made. Now it's evolved sister, the EOS, wears the tiara. Ride up or down. Either way, no gay sticker necessary.

Wraith
30th April 2008, 02:46 PM
Damn, lucky I didn't bet money on the Clio winning that title :D

imay
30th April 2008, 03:32 PM
Gay Car of the Year 2007

Well, roll me over and slap me on the backside, Honey!

Who cares! Many have said the same about my TS Convertible, and it, strangely, really doesn't upset me terribly. I wonder whether there's a logical explanation for that! Hmmm.

If the Eos is the gay car of choice, so be it. I would just about be prepared to jump the fence and bat for the other side if some (cute) daddy threw me the keys to one. Don't knock it until you have tried it . . . the car that is! Honest!
Lovely car, the Eos. Shame about the VW badge on the front.

USC
30th April 2008, 03:35 PM
VW EOS is bloody FUGLY! just saw one on the road..what a piece of smelly shit..looks a lot like moving poo to me.

Dunno how u could even compare the AH convert to that rubbish!:mad:

imay
30th April 2008, 03:39 PM
VW EOS is bloody FUGLY! just saw one on the road..what a piece of smelly shit..looks a lot like moving poo to me.

Dunno how u could even compare the AH convert to that rubbish!:mad:

You obviously haven't sat in, nor driven one yet. Give it a go, if your testosterone will allow it!

Wraith
30th April 2008, 03:55 PM
Hahahaha LOL :)

The Eos is indeed a great looking car - no wonder the gay boys love it, if it were fugly as you put it USC, I don't think it would be their choice ride LOL :)

I would still have one too, despite that title, it's definitely one of the best hard top convertibles around, as well as being it's class' leader !!!

If your not into convertibles, you really wouldn't know anyways - that's what I've seen and noticed from people when it comes to verts in general ;)

Calibrated
30th April 2008, 04:31 PM
i'd rather a used E46 if i was looking for a vert.

imay
30th April 2008, 04:37 PM
Just as a side note (and way off topic) . . .

Ange -- Clear out your mail box! No room left for messages.

USC
30th April 2008, 04:38 PM
You obviously haven't sat in, nor driven one yet. Give it a go, if your testosterone will allow it!

My testosterone is telling me that this is way too gay for my liking...I cant even look at it. I wouldnt event bother sit in one as it looks like garbage to me...a pile of it.

Wraith
30th April 2008, 04:41 PM
i'd rather a used E46 if i was looking for a vert.

I too love this exact same vehicle - almost bought one brand new...still look the bizz today they do :)

Wraith
30th April 2008, 04:43 PM
Just as a side note (and way off topic) . . .

Ange -- Clear out your mail box! No room left for messages.

Hi Ian, are you talking about my pager ??

If so that damn thing hasn't been working for me for ages and I've already emptied it out !!!

I keep forgetting to ask admin to fix it for me, my PM box should be working fine...

poita
30th April 2008, 10:42 PM
pager has been disabled, and should no longer exist/work
only PM's will work ;)

MitchSRi
30th April 2008, 10:57 PM
Whilst I have the 5 dr SRi I can vouch that the 2.2L motor is suprisingly zippy.

Tim .. if you buy the EOS you'll have to save up for a sex change as well.

EOS = chick car..

It's more "succesfull hairdresser/real estate agent" than any other car.

and yes I've driven a friends one. She reckons it's "cute". I reckon it looks gay.

Not to mention its like a transformer when the roof goes up and down.

Seriously .. go to your local HSV, get one of sales guys (pick the hoooniest looking one) to take you for a "test drive" in a VXR. If you don't come back and put a deposit on one after that, then your heart and loins are definitely lusting for the gay car of the year!

Shaun
30th April 2008, 11:51 PM
Im hiring one on Friday night while im in Melbourne for Work. Ill let you know what they are like.
Shaun

USC
30th April 2008, 11:55 PM
Whilst I have the 5 dr SRi I can vouch that the 2.2L motor is suprisingly zippy.

EOS = chick car..

and yes I've driven a friends one. She reckons it's "cute". I reckon it looks gay.

Seriously .. go to your local HSV, get one of sales guys (pick the hoooniest looking one) to take you for a "test drive" in a VXR. If you don't come back and put a deposit on one after that, then your heart and loins are definitely lusting for the gay car of the year!

+1:clap: well said!

EOS looks like a bubble.....:lame:

MitchSRi
1st May 2008, 12:03 AM
Im hiring one on Friday night while im in Melbourne for Work. Ill let you know what they are like.
Shaun You should never have admitted this.. Archie has enough ammo on you with your blue car choice. Let alone admitting you are going to drive a twintop :D

Shaun
1st May 2008, 01:01 AM
You should never have admitted this.. Archie has enough ammo on you with your blue car choice. Let alone admitting you are going to drive a twintop :D

I dont care... i think they look alright. (for a girls car):-P . The website says or other ... im hoping for it to be a twin top not a renualt or worse yet a VW Euos :-P

Wraith
1st May 2008, 08:45 AM

EOS = chick car..

LOL as stated each to his own, but perceptions are just perceptions, even if the Eos is liked by alot of gay people...if someone out of that category or demographic wants one and I'm sure there are lots in that boat who own an Eos, then good on them :)

You do realise that the 'general' perception if you own a VXR is that your a junior bogun, just hanging to get the full fledged HSV V8 when your all grown up and can afford one ;)

I can tell you for a fact that's what alot of HSV V8 owners think, when they talk about themselves being referred to as boguns...

So don't be knocking people for their choice of car as most can also be looked at in a funny manner too ;)

tim_
1st May 2008, 10:19 AM
owning a gay looking car doesn't worry me too much... at least my bf wouldn't borrow it, he's a man's man haha

imay
1st May 2008, 10:34 AM
owning a gay looking car doesn't worry me too much... at least my bf wouldn't borrow it, he's a man's man haha

That's what ths forum needs tim . . . another potential convertible owner who has a sick sense of humor. Bravo!

USC
1st May 2008, 11:23 AM

i think you should go on big brother.

tim_
1st May 2008, 11:40 AM
hahahaha

it's true tho... he wouldn't!!

and i'd only go on BB if they brough gretel back. i haven't even watched it this year due to k and j-o

tim_
1st May 2008, 04:33 PM
oooooh! i just had a brainwave!

350z roadster...

Wraith
1st May 2008, 04:58 PM
oooooh! i just had a brainwave!

350z roadster...

Another vehicle I really like, although I do prefer and would buy the coupe over the vert variant with this car :)

Hang in there if you want one of these, the new '370Z' is just around the corner with a new lighter body, better chassis and suspension and more power 250+kw from the 3.7ltr V6 used in the new skyline coupes - not GTR...

One of these with a TT kit will hit 500+bhp soooo easily :D I'm gonna keep a keen eye on this car :)

Pity it's not going to be the rumoured 400Z with that sweet Nissan 4.0ltr V8 :(

Also the current model (newer one with 230kw and bonnet bulge) will drop in price when this model arrives :)

tim_
1st May 2008, 06:58 PM
ooh that sounds fun! i'm trying to decide between the end of the year, and next july when i turn 25. i just think i want it sooner than that.

Wraith
2nd May 2008, 10:58 AM
ooh that sounds fun! i'm trying to decide between the end of the year, and next july when i turn 25. i just think i want it sooner than that.

By next July, hopefully this new Nissan has hit our shores, the new GTR should be here by then too :)

If not or if this new one is too pricey, a near new 350Z roadster would be a very nice choice....

tim_
2nd May 2008, 11:17 AM
i'd love a gt-r, however i don't think my salary quite covers it...

i'll also see what happens with petrol. even when i turn 25 it tells me it's $2,700 with aami to ensure the z roadster

Wraith
2nd May 2008, 11:30 AM
i'd love a gt-r, however i don't think my salary quite covers it...

i'll also see what happens with petrol. even when i turn 25 it tells me it's $2,700 with aami to ensure the z roadster

Yes, one of the cons of having a nice car and being young at the same time, is high insurance premiums :(

It does get better with age, especially if you maintain a clean record, this subjects come up before and I'm surprised what insurance companies are charging you younger peeps these days :(

With that 2,700 above, I can cover both the insurance and regos of '3' of my cars - that's with full comp. insurance too :)

tim_
3rd May 2008, 11:09 AM
i think the astra twintop will be the one for me. i've had 3 astras and i've loved them all. i'll just have to see how the 2.2 goes with a heavy car but the uk with their 6000 variants have the 103kw 1.8 and it apparently goes okay. strangely though they don't have the 2.2 as an option.

that forum. i've been scouring through people's cars and it's made up my mind haha.

imay
3rd May 2008, 12:44 PM
but the uk with their 6000 variants have the 103kw 1.8 and it apparently goes okay. strangely though they don't have the 2.2 as an option.

Agree, but keep in mind UK owners are also happy to drive 1.4 Astras, 1.2 Corsas, etc. Keep in mind that they have much more expensive fuel, road taxes, registration and insurance based on engine capacity and Co2 emissions, etc., and all this does is help them appreciate the power of a 1.8 so much more (just a shame for them they can't afford to run it). I don't know why they (or Europe) don't have the 2.2 as an option, but they DO have the choice of turbo petrol and turbo diesel.
There is nothing wrong with the current AH 2.2 in the TwinTop. I've got the 2.2 in my TS Convertible and I'm reasonably happy with it because I consider my car to be a "tourer" rather than a "sports" car. I'm passed getting their quick; I prefer to enjoy the scenery on the way! You will have to consider the same approach with the TwinTop, it's just not a "gutsy" car because of the weight it has to carry around.
Get to a Holden dealer, drive one for a weekend and make a decision from there. I'm sure you will be happy with the car (probably not the service that comes with it, but that's another story that's been done to death on here!).

Good hunting and keep us informed of how you get on.

Shaun
3rd May 2008, 09:18 PM
Twin top review:
Im impressed to say the least. Only a couple of issues (remembering this was a Hire Car) Creaky roof. Rattle from engine.
comfy to drive and plenty of room inside. Handles well.

Dont let people from here inflance you .... If you want to buy one go for it. the comments are how i found it for the day i had it

tim_
5th May 2008, 03:07 PM
Twin top review:
Im impressed to say the least. Only a couple of issues (remembering this was a Hire Car) Creaky roof. Rattle from engine.
comfy to drive and plenty of room inside. Handles well.

Dont let people from here inflance you .... If you want to buy one go for it. the comments are how i found it for the day i had it
sounds like a reasonable review!

i went and had a look at the dealer yesterday. just shy of $50k drive away. better spend 6 months improving my credit file hahaha

Wraith
5th May 2008, 03:52 PM
sounds like a reasonable review!

i went and had a look at the dealer yesterday. just shy of $50k drive away. better spend 6 months improving my credit file hahaha

That's awesome - hope you get one, I for one and at least a few other peeps here would love to have at least one forum member with one of these cars :)

At sub 50k, that's a very good price, in fact cheaper than a new previous TS model cost, which was just over 50k for the manual and around 52.5k for the auto n/a 2.2 variants...

If your not in any hurry, you could also look for a near new S/H 6-12 month old or the like, that'll be alot cheaper and if your lucky you might find one with only a couple or few thousand km's on it and you would still benefit from the remaining balance of time left on the new car warranty ;)

Question for you tim - which colour would you go for ?? IMO that's the hardest decision with one, it looks good in all colours :)

imay
5th May 2008, 04:22 PM

There's already low kilometre second-hand and ex demo TwinTops out there, if you are not in a hurry. Take your time and have a good look at the market and be prepared to walk away if the stealers won't (or pretend they won't!) play ball. End of financial year not far away, and they will all be trying really hard to get your money then. Shop around and pitchn them against each other, and don't get sucked into buying accessories you don't want, don't need, or can get added by another dealer on the other side of town.

Plenty of really good second-hand G convertibles out there too! The price on the windscreen is NOT the price you have to pay.

Wraith
5th May 2008, 04:29 PM
There's already low kilometre second-hand and ex demo TwinTops out there, if you are not in a hurry. Take your time and have a good look at the market and be prepared to walk away if the stealers won't (or pretend they won't!) play ball. End of financial year not far away, and they will all be trying really hard to get your money then. Shop around and pitchn them against each other, and don't get sucked into buying accessories you don't want, don't need, or can get added by another dealer on the other side of town.

Plenty of really good second-hand G convertibles out there too! The price on the windscreen is NOT the price you have to pay.

All good advice Ian :)

Also O/A car sales figures of late has plummited, so yes a good time for a 'smart shopper' to really 'twist the arms' and grab a good deal if your in the market for a new car :)

tim_
5th May 2008, 06:37 PM
i'll be going second hand i think. and the answer is black. i've always wanted a black car, and after 2 whites, a green and 3 silver, i'm going to get one dammit! but give me about 6 months. i need to prove to the bank i can save lol

tim_
5th May 2008, 06:42 PM

i thought about a g convertible, but the idea of the hard top conv makes me feel special inside, and i didn't want to go for a car older than the one i have now (05). i'd love to get it in july, but i don't see it happening.

Wraith
6th May 2008, 11:23 AM
All good tim...look forward to you getting yourself a black twin top :)

Shaun
7th May 2008, 12:47 AM
Would say black or red is the pic of colours. if your going to have a verte or coupe it has to stand out....

Wraith
7th May 2008, 07:02 PM
Would say black or red is the pic of colours. if your going to have a verte or coupe it has to stand out....

mmmm, yes a red or black one with re-upholstered beige/cream or tan interior - wow real stand out when the tops down :)

imay
7th May 2008, 10:15 PM
re-upholstered beige/cream or tan interior - wow real stand out when the tops down

Agree Ange, but ever tried keeping beige or cream leather clean? Couple of years ago at the Adelaide Motor Show the special edition China Blue convert with beige leather was on display. We went on day 2 and the driver's seat was already stained with blue denim. When I spoke to one of the car cleaners he assured me he had cleaned the leather seats just that morning and they were only going to get worse as the show wore on.
Also the being plastic bin on the door was covered in black shoe polish scuff marks where people had been getting in and out. Saw the same thing again this year in the Sandstorm/beige leather Calais V.
As much as colored leather looks nice, black is the only way to go for a daily driver.

Wraith
8th May 2008, 09:21 AM
Agree Ange, but ever tried keeping beige or cream leather clean? Couple of years ago at the Adelaide Motor Show the special edition China Blue convert with beige leather was on display. We went on day 2 and the driver's seat was already stained with blue denim. When I spoke to one of the car cleaners he assured me he had cleaned the leather seats just that morning and they were only going to get worse as the show wore on.
Also the being plastic bin on the door was covered in black shoe polish scuff marks where people had been getting in and out. Saw the same thing again this year in the Sandstorm/beige leather Calais V.
As much as colored leather looks nice, black is the only way to go for a daily driver.

True Ian, very hard to keep clean -I have home leather furniture in beige/cream leather, have to be careful with it :)

Black is definitely the best colour for hard wearing everyday use for leather and will hide eventual wear and creases better...if my vert were going to be used as an everyday ride, I too would've opted for the black and not magma red leather interior :)

That cream colour used in the TS verts is way too light anyways and dosn't appeal to me...

I'd adopt a richer/darker shade, similar to the beige/tan colour found in Ferraris or BM's etc. which would be a little easier to live with and still have that knock out visual aesthetic effect with a constrasting external duco colour like red or black on a nice looking vert with the top down :)

imay
8th May 2008, 11:55 AM
Something like this leather re-trim http://www.yve5.be/ I could comfortably live with. This color would go with just about any exterior paint color that Holden offer in either the G or H convertible.

Wraith
8th May 2008, 12:45 PM
Something like this leather re-trim http://www.yve5.be/ I could comfortably live with. This color would go with just about any exterior paint color that Holden offer in either the G or H convertible.

Ah yes, that's that brown colour option on AH Astras - we don't get it here though :( what's new, we're always missing out on the entire range of goodies :rolleyes: that's why I mentioned 're-upholstered' twin top in my previous posts, because they only come in the black interior colour - that's it... :(

Can't say I've ever seen it on the TS range...except that one in the pic...

Mazda have a very similar colour for their leather option on the 3, it's the one I'd go for with a white, black or silver Mazda 3 :)