PDA

View Full Version : Have you been affected by fuel prices?

GreyRex
29th April 2008, 04:38 PM
Seeing as though it's the topic of the moment, I thought i'd ask about the impact (if at all), that increasing petrol prices are having on people. Has it changed your driving habits? Do you make sacrifices to enjoy your car? Will it impact majorly on your next purchase? With petrol currently hovering around $1.50/$1.60, the trend is finally moving away from bigger cars here in Aus... so how is it affecting you? Be good to know people's thoughts

glider
29th April 2008, 04:42 PM
ouch.. they're still around 1.45 tops here at the moment

i dont drive as much at the moment coz i think 'oh i just wasted $8 getting here'

InsaneAsylum
29th April 2008, 04:49 PM
nah, car is pretty economical and i don't really do that many k's

btm
29th April 2008, 04:54 PM
price not effect me because i rarely drive my car anymore (not due to petrol prices)

but when i do drive it does not effect how or where i drive

next purchase, if anything i will be buying a larger and more thirsty car

Ice
29th April 2008, 05:09 PM
im conscious of the fact that prices are expensive so I just make sure that i fill up at the cheapest time of the week. I dont think that when i put my foot down oh there goes $2 or driving to a mates costs $8.50 or whatever, if you get to that stage then dont drive. Just think about it, prices in London for eg are now at the 1 POUND mark which is about $2-20 so think yourselves lucky.

I certainly wont ever be buying a V8 besides now they are bringing in the technology where V6 models can drive on 4 or even 3 cylinders, then there is Diesel or Gas. Electric and Hydrogen are now starting to make an Impact aswell.

glider
29th April 2008, 05:19 PM
im conscious of the fact that prices are expensive so I just make sure that i fill up at the cheapest time of the week. I dont think that when i put my foot down oh there goes $2 or driving to a mates costs $8.50 or whatever, if you get to that stage then dont drive. Just think about it, prices in London for eg are now at the 1 POUND mark which is about $2-20 so think yourselves lucky.

I certainly wont ever be buying a V8 besides now they are bringing in the technology where V6 models can drive on 4 or even 3 cylinders, then there is Diesel or Gas. Electric and Hydrogen are now starting to make an Impact aswell.

when i said i don't drive much, i meant i don't go for random drives just for the sake of driving anymore :p

guy 27
29th April 2008, 05:42 PM
now that i got a bmx my spare time is riding that instead of going for random drives plus its quicker to ride around rather than driving somewhere locally.
getting to uni every week is a tank of fuel for me, so yes i have started to limit my driving.

Calibrated
29th April 2008, 06:35 PM
train to work.. so only use the car for after hours and weekend fun. dont do full cruises or anything as much lately. but thats coz im saving for other things. dont think its really affected me much.

sooty
29th April 2008, 06:37 PM
What's a service station look like again?
Novated lease, so it doesn't bother me at all :D

xplosv57
29th April 2008, 06:52 PM
Seeing as though it's the topic of the moment, I thought i'd ask about the impact (if at all), that increasing petrol prices are having on people. Has it changed your driving habits? Do you make sacrifices to enjoy your car? Will it impact majorly on your next purchase? With petrol currently hovering around $1.50/$1.60, the trend is finally moving away from bigger cars here in Aus... so how is it affecting you? Be good to know people's thoughts

V8 daily driver 500+km a week probably not the smartest idea, but as much as i don't notice it much now, if i was to buy something more fuel efficient i would find it alot easier to save money for more important things!!

Currently doing just that, looking for a more fuel efficient car!!!!

P.S. Hasn't changed my driving habits one bit lol!!!

glider
29th April 2008, 06:53 PM
Currently doing just that, looking for a more fuel efficient car!!!!

blueraven's imo :p

xplosv57
29th April 2008, 06:57 PM
blueraven's imo :p

Did consider it a while ago to be honest, but alot of variables to take in!!!

There's a big list of cars being considered!!!

Dee
29th April 2008, 07:00 PM
No it's not affecting me.

I have nought bought petrol since February. And won't be buying any until September.

95' GSI
29th April 2008, 07:09 PM
Costs me $50 to fill my car...
Although I go for random drives because I get bored easily.

Calibrated
29th April 2008, 07:21 PM
suppose im going to be driving a bit less when that 535i bmw is parked in the garage... oh well..

sooty
29th April 2008, 07:23 PM
suppose im going to be driving a bit less when that 535i bmw is parked in the garage... oh well..
name dropper :p

Calibrated
29th April 2008, 07:27 PM
name dropper :p
:O

i dont think i will be opel-less for long though.. i've owned 5 now lol.
both calibra's are still at home in the garage.. both for sale.. but yeah.. small target market..

maloo97
29th April 2008, 07:27 PM
Currently between cars, But driving my work van, Ford Transit 2.4l td
paying around $1.70 L getting around 700k's off a tank,
Either way doesn't bother me, The price is the price no point in hunting around for cheap fuel or shopper dockets to save $2.00 - $4.00.
If you drive you pay the price, We have it alot better here than other countries. Buying a bigger car or a v8 wouldn't worry me the slightest.

If ya wanna save some money dont drink Alcohol or smoke cause thats whats going up next :D

Calibrated
29th April 2008, 07:29 PM
If ya wanna save some money dont drink Alcohol or smoke cause thats whats going up next :D
exactly right.

95' GSI
29th April 2008, 07:37 PM
smoking. Urgh.

Wraith
29th April 2008, 08:01 PM

Speaking for myself, it does not affect or worry me, never has in nearly 25 years of driving and hopefully never will...

Simple fact of life is fuel costs will continue to rise !!!

Most of you peeps here are younger than me, but I can remember the days of petrol being 35 cents per litre for super and less for standard, as were the 2 types of fuel available back then.

Every now and then a major or big jump would occur in the fuel prices, it's no different today !!!

I always say to people, if your concerned or severely affected by petrol pricing, don't buy or own a car - simple...

The idea of getting something smaller does not always equate to fuel savings, it depends on the vehicles engine and set up, not the car size, eg: all these new 4 pot turbos go through fuel like mid to large size n/a V8's and that's a fact cause I've owned and run both !!! and most V8 equipped vehicles weigh alot more too...

If you still want a car, but must have a minimal fuel bill, then you'll have to sacrifice power/performance and buy any one of the many frugal fuel burn little n/a 4 potters out there...

As for myself - hell no, I intend my next car/s to be as hi-po as possible, at least the ones I have as my weekend joy rides :)

xplosv57
29th April 2008, 10:13 PM
The idea of getting something smaller does not always equate to fuel savings, it depends on the vehicles engine and set up, not the car size, eg: all these new 4 pot turbos go through fuel like mid to large size n/a V8's and that's a fact cause I've owned and run both !!! and most V8 equipped vehicles weigh alot more too...

Oh too true, good example current 4 cyl Camry owners buying for 'fuel saving' yet return something like 12l/100km which my V8 is capable of!!!! Too much weight, too little power!!!

EL BURITO
29th April 2008, 10:22 PM
If i behave its not to bad. I do watch the price cycle and use mums Caltex vouchers. and the days I am at uni I try to take the train. its at about $80 a week for fuel now. Not hurting yet, don't think it really will still expenditure is lower than income. Should probably work out how to get the train to work thou then it would be alot easier

dieselhead
29th April 2008, 10:38 PM
Not bothering me much, but have to admit I'm pissed off to see the price of Diesel over $1,70 in a few places already! Why would Diesel have to cost 30c more than petrol, since is an inferior product? And what these high Diesel prices will do to groceries and most of the stuff we buy in stores? Everybody's concerned about petrol, as if all trucks and earth moving machines are already solar or on hydrogen.
When it comes to how much I spend of fuel, well, I don't really care. At the moment is at $50/week driving 500 km. If price goes up to $3.00/litre I'll spend $90/week. No biggie.

blueraven
29th April 2008, 10:58 PM
Yes it affects me.

I bitch about the price a bit more...thats about it :P i only go thru less than half a tank a week in the astra...

I wonder how the sti goes on fuel :)

Someone buy my car :P

Greg K
30th April 2008, 10:16 AM
spend around $60 a week doing 550kays so not feeling the pinch yet...

i cannot understand why people complain about the price of fuel.. as others have stated, we have it much better here than other countries. and sorry for going off topic slightly, but why do people complain about rising interest rates... we all knew it was going to happen and it needed to happen!

rant over. :)

reedaaron
30th April 2008, 10:21 AM
doesn't bother me really... don't drive a lot on weekends and only to the train station during the week... a tank lasts me about 2 weeks usually so it's pretty cheap..

SSS_Hoon
30th April 2008, 10:53 AM
I love driving its awesome and the prices are high yeah nearly tripple what they were when i first started driving.

The thing is both our cars need 98 as min (i was running 100 there for awhile, and once i get retuned i might go back to it again), fuel to me i just think oh well its something i need to do live basically without it well i would hate to think what i would do without being able to drive my car or any car for that matter. My wife is at the point where she thinks its costing too much and wants to sell the GTI and get a smaller car, this is mainly due to the rising interest rates more so then the fuel costs though. Between both our cars in a week can be upto $160 a week just for fuel depending on hard and much we drive. As i only get about 350-400k from 50ltank in my SSS it all adds up.

I think it shouldnt be that high OPEC can make it cheaper if they really want to but they are a bunch of greedy F***, and we get most of oil from non OPEC sources anyway, but what can we do other then completly boycotting petrol all together, oh wait that is impossible to do. They know this so they just keep sticking us with the high prices, but its life just gotta suck it up and get on with it.

If u dont like the high prices, drive less, get a cheaper car to run or cathc Public Transport that simple.

SSS_Hoon

Orion_996
30th April 2008, 10:55 AM
Well, i do get a bit bitchy seeing it go up, but in the end doesn't affect me at all, i love to drive and no matter the price its worth it in my opinion. And i do strongly agree with dieselhead, what is the go paying so much more for an inferior fuel, its definetley ridiculous and particularly agree with that and the rise of groceries and other necessities. Government should focus more on that, then making fuelwatch schemes that will save 2c/l, whoopty doo.

EL BURITO
30th April 2008, 01:33 PM
I like and agree with the fuelwatch schemes it keeps a eye on suplies

but i do think they should be aloud to drop miday

imay
30th April 2008, 01:48 PM
Most of you peeps here are younger than me, but I can remember the days of petrol being 35 cents per litre for super and less for standard

Errrrm . . . . I remember filling up my Corolla and it costing me nearly $2!!! But then that was quite some time ago.

As has been said, we have to get used to the idea that it is only going to go up in price, never again down. Get used to it, or get used to riding your bike, catching a bus/tram/train or invest in a comfy pair of walking shoes.

Wraith
30th April 2008, 02:17 PM
Errrrm . . . . I remember filling up my Corolla and it costing me nearly $2!!! But then that was quite some time ago.

As has been said, we have to get used to the idea that it is only going to go up in price, never again down. Get used to it, or get used to riding your bike, catching a bus/tram/train or invest in a comfy pair of walking shoes.

True that Ian, I also remember when it cost only a couple of bucks to fill an average tank, having to do it for the old man, because he didn't want the bouser boys doing it for him LOL again as was the case back then, these days it's all self serve...and it only cost 12-15 to fill up a good size tank when I 1st started driving :)

But as you've stated above and I've also said, it's pointless worrying about it, as it's forever going to increase, so learn to live with it, or get yourself some other form of travel means...

Vectracious
30th April 2008, 04:40 PM
I wonder how the sti goes on fuel :)

LOL, just start saving from now - oh wait, you've already got it.....

I'll bitch and moan about petrol prices but at the end of the day, I need my car and I need to get places, it hasn't stopped me from driving anywhere and I haven't changed my driving style either - the Rex's consumption is only slightly worse if you floor it so meh.

rjastra
30th April 2008, 07:09 PM
What were the stats....

Price of a barrel of crude has increased 10 fold in 10+years.. yet the price at the pump has only double (or a tad more).

USC
30th April 2008, 08:18 PM
guys...i know all of you can afford petrol and dont care about how much it costs but at the end of the day, it is a LOT of money to pay. and i think petrol companies are ripping us off.

i wish they could bring an alternative to petrol quickly so there is a bit of competition. as long as power is the same, i dont care what they use.

tuzinski
30th April 2008, 09:02 PM
i buy 95ron now.

but then again, work is only 6k's away (full trip daily)
so i dont mind the price increase..

dont go for random midnightly cruises so much tho

USC
30th April 2008, 09:40 PM
STOP saying you dont mind the price increase! if any petrol companies are monitoring this thread, they would keep increasing their prices!:mad: :mad:

Vectracious
30th April 2008, 09:44 PM
STOP saying you dont mind the price increase! if any petrol companies are monitoring this thread, they would keep increasing their prices!:mad: :mad:

LOL - you reckon they sit there and worry about people saying whether they mind the price increase or not? You reckon the heads of OPEC and all the petrol companies even give a shit about the little people - the price will go up regardless.

MatsHolden
30th April 2008, 09:57 PM
Always use 98RON and not too fussed.

poita
30th April 2008, 10:28 PM
i dont drive too many k's, use bp ultimate in the mazda 6 and calibra.
but yer, its gettin ridiculous.
i can either fill the calibra or buy 2 cartons of rum!
its a tough choice these days!

USC
30th April 2008, 11:50 PM
LOL - you reckon they sit there and worry about people saying whether they mind the price increase or not? You reckon the heads of OPEC and all the petrol companies even give a shit about the little people - the price will go up regardless.

you would be surprised. Even cops are monitoring forums all the time.;)

MatsHolden
1st May 2008, 12:17 PM

A bit different.

JohnBu
1st May 2008, 04:05 PM
have a dilemma.

filled up the car the other day @ BP.

$40 or so.

went to pay for it, attendant was pretty rude, no 'hi how you going' (i previously had a job at a petrol station).

late 40s guy, seems pretty disinterested in being in being there.

i hand over my Citibank BP Credit Card to him, and noticed that BP were having a special - 10% off for Citibank BP C/C.

I asked him do I get it the discount?.

he continues processing the payment, not a word.

hmm, so I ask him again, he goes 'you don't get it'

'why's that?'

'only new card holders do'

anyway i sign the receipt and leave.

no 'bye' or 'have a good night from him'

I leave, and only after I left realised the ****er undercharged me by about $20. haha

Should I go back and pay? mind you, I don't know exactly by how much undercharged I was.

Or should I not bother and think of it has a discount for pretty poor service ( it's not my regular BP)?

Wraith
1st May 2008, 04:27 PM

+1

I believe the above to be fact...

Wraith
1st May 2008, 04:29 PM
have a dilemma.

filled up the car the other day @ BP.

$40 or so.

went to pay for it, attendant was pretty rude, no 'hi how you going' (i previously had a job at a petrol station).

late 40s guy, seems pretty disinterested in being in being there.

i hand over my Citibank BP Credit Card to him, and noticed that BP were having a special - 10% off for Citibank BP C/C.

I asked him do I get it the discount?.

he continues processing the payment, not a word.

hmm, so I ask him again, he goes 'you don't get it'

'why's that?'

'only new card holders do'

anyway i sign the receipt and leave.

no 'bye' or 'have a good night from him'

I leave, and only after I left realised the ****er undercharged me by about $20. haha

Should I go back and pay? mind you, I don't know exactly by how much undercharged I was.

Or should I not bother and think of it has a discount for pretty poor service ( it's not my regular BP)?

LOL definitely don't bother - his behaviour deserves it !!!

Besides it's no skin off his nose at the end of the day, he's only a worker there ;)

Vectracious
1st May 2008, 06:18 PM

A bit different.

What Mat said, and its not even just a bit different, it's a LOT different. Read my post - even if they did read the forum, what the hell is the opinion of a bunch of members on an Opel forum going to do to influence a trillion dollar industry...

have a dilemma.

What dilemma?? :cool:

And if you go back and pay for it, you're going to get a headslap from the BroTek crew next cruise... :p

JohnBu
2nd May 2008, 04:33 PM
What dilemma?? :cool:

And if you go back and pay for it, you're going to get a headslap from the BroTek crew next cruise... :p

well I don't want to be on the wrong side of those badasses now do I?

OPC
2nd May 2008, 08:20 PM
oh ive been affected by the fuel prices...

now it costs more to sniff petrol than to sniff goey sheesh im screwed

DirtyHarry
2nd May 2008, 08:32 PM
i think people are upset about petrol prices because they are increasing at a rate more than wages, and the gap between the rich and poor and the affordability between the 2 social groups is increasing instead of decreasing.