PDA

View Full Version : Wheels Mag - May - Next Astra

AnzacPhil
28th April 2008, 03:57 PM
I like the new design... wonder what egines will run and if the base 1.8 will be pepped up?

USC
28th April 2008, 09:42 PM
double post. this has already been discussed.;)

Wraith
29th April 2008, 10:54 AM
Correct double post :)

BUT in the other thread no one brought up the article of the new Monaro or Torana UFO sightings.... :eek: I hope it's going to be a Torana rebirth :pray:

Yep, a 2 door VE similar to the G60 coupe concept has been seen doing the rounds - who says GMH won't do another 2 door coupe, I always knew they would eventually :)

If we end up with something like that G60 coupe....mmmmm :D

MatsHolden
29th April 2008, 02:32 PM
Possibly just Camaro mules.

Wraith
29th April 2008, 08:06 PM
Possibly just Camaro mules.

Nope - definitely not !!!

If you get the chance, check out the pics in the latest wheels mag...

It's definitely a 2 door VE but dosn't look as stylised as the G60 coupe concept.

There are also pics there of the Camaro in camo to, in another article I think it was :)

MatsHolden
29th April 2008, 09:24 PM
So definately not along the lines of these 2 door Camaro mules? If it was, they are in fact Camaro mules unfortunately.
http://jalopnik.com/cars/assets/resources/2007/04/Camaro_Mule_Pic.jpg
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1645&d=1185979776

USC
30th April 2008, 12:12 AM
they dont look like coupes to me...looks like they just forgot to cut the rear door.

SIMid
30th April 2008, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=MatsHolden;309282]
[QUOTE]

Buy this one Ange, it's the closest your gonna get to a new model Monaro. ;) Just liquid-paper the rear false door cut lines and she'll be right mate.

Wraith
30th April 2008, 10:58 AM
So definately not along the lines of these 2 door Camaro mules? If it was, they are in fact Camaro mules unfortunately.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1645&d=1185979776

Nope, the pics don't look like that either, except for the white duco :)

The pics I saw looked like a longer door and different rear quarter panels, not a 4 door with the rear door gaps sealed like this one...

Get a hold of the mag and check it out...

Just out of curiosity how can that thing above be a Camaro mule - it's a VE ?? or are they testing the running gear ??

I still put my money on an eventual Holden 2 door coupe, give it time, it'll eventually happen, it may be a smaller mid size platform (which is all the better) and hopefully a Torana rebirth :) just hope it comes with a V8 variant :pray:

One things for sure, as I've mentioned in other threads, there will be a Holden V6 twin turbo powerplant coming soon for the VE's, it'll be great to see a mid size coupe platform with this powerplant :D

btm
30th April 2008, 11:46 AM
wheel arches look more flared too

Wraith
30th April 2008, 12:01 PM
wheel arches look more flared too

It's just a stuck on/bolted on cover/flaring on that mule...

MatsHolden
30th April 2008, 07:31 PM
Yeh those are Camaro mules with VE shortened Commodore bodies wedged on the Camaro chassis. Notice the shorter wheel base. And those rear door lines are actually just tape.

tim_
1st May 2008, 11:46 AM
yeah just having a look in wheels now, and it's the camaro mule, just without the big wheel arches. you can see the tape.

tim_
1st May 2008, 11:47 AM
oh but the new astra looks hot! i just don't think i can wait that long for a new car

Wraith
1st May 2008, 12:40 PM
oh but the new astra looks hot! i just don't think i can wait that long for a new car

Times flies...before you know it it's next year...

Later this year and next year will see the release of many new models, both hatches and sedans :)

MatsHolden
1st May 2008, 12:41 PM
Times flies...before you know it it's next year...

Don't it just.

Wraith
1st May 2008, 12:49 PM
Don't it just.

True that Mat....scary as they say...

So when are we to expect to see Camaros in dealerships ???

I'll bet there'll be lots of peeps with LS1's and LS2's buying those beautiful engine covers used on the Camaro for their Commodore, HSV, or ute or Monaro V8, I would, it looks fantastic :)

MatsHolden
1st May 2008, 12:55 PM
Early next year release in the US, who knows for Aus.
Going to be interesting to see the engine line up... 2.0 Litre Turbo, V6 and V8 variants.

SSS_Hoon
1st May 2008, 12:58 PM
2L Turbo Camaro is that right, did i read that right?

SSS_Hoon

MatsHolden
1st May 2008, 01:00 PM

SSS_Hoon

Yeah... It's all part of the downsizing crisis in the US. It's not set in concrete yet, but Lutz seems pretty keen.

Wraith
1st May 2008, 01:29 PM

SSS_Hoon

+1

Was thinking the same thing - surely not ???

Downsizing or not, I truly don't think people interested in buying this car, would ever opt for a 4 pot version ???

imay
1st May 2008, 04:30 PM
+1

Was thinking the same thing - surely not ???

Downsizing or not, I truly don't think people interested in buying this car, would ever opt for a 4 pot version ???

Why not? I'm sure there were PLENTY of crap/gutless/slow/anti-polution-choked 6 cylinder Camaros and Mustangs sold in the 70s-80s.
With the technology they have these days, it doesn't HAVE to have 8 cylinders to make it go.

. . . . it just sounds soooooooo much better with 8 of 'em and a nice exhaust!

Back to downsizing US style:
That's why the GM decision-makers canned the Coupe 60 before it even got a decent look in. The US Government is tightening the car makers' belts . . . read: "We're running out of fuel at an alarming rate and have to be seen to be doing something about it!"

Wraith
1st May 2008, 04:50 PM
Why not? I'm sure there were PLENTY of crap/gutless/slow/anti-polution-choked 6 cylinder Camaros and Mustangs sold in the 70s-80s.
With the technology they have these days, it doesn't HAVE to have 8 cylinders to make it go.

. . . . it just sounds soooooooo much better with 8 of 'em and a nice exhaust!

Back to downsizing US style:
That's why the GM decision-makers canned the Coupe 60 before it even got a decent look in. The US Government is tightening the car makers' belts . . . read: "We're running out of fuel at an alarming rate and have to be seen to be doing something about it!"

True Ian, they could fit it out with a 250kw or 300kw 4 potter (although I doubt that'll ever happen)...BUT the whole point of a car in this class is the V8 power train, for what it is, ie: a traditional V8 powered machine :)

And speaking of a high power 4 potter, as described above, it's fuel burn at that power rating would match or exceed that of a V8, so it's in my mind a totally pointless excercise...especially if they use the 'downsizing' one liner as the reason for doing it...

As for the political hype going around these days, who knows what to actually believe ??

I thought the whole point of the Iraq campaign for the U.S. government, was to gain control and supply (not only the wealth) of the Worlds richest crude oil supplies and save/store away their own U.S./Alaska deposits and supplies ;)

imay
1st May 2008, 05:10 PM
Agree Ange, but even following on from a conversation at work today, it's amazing the number of mature(?) narrow minded people that still consider a V8 as a fuel hungry dinosaur that shouldn't even be considered as a means of modern everyday transport. Try convincing these narrow minded individuals that a small engine can be just as, or more so, "inefficient" in fuel consumption that a V8 power plant could be.
Take the cylinder shut-down technology (not a new thing, by the way) that is making its way into the market place now.

How many times do we see a small 4 cylinder "family" car, crammed with 5 happy campers and their luggage (plus the roof racks piled high) struggling up the highway on their way to their happy motoring holiday?

People (not unlike sheep) are programmed over the generations to believe what they were told as a toddler and to carry that logic through to the grave.

Bring on the fuel-efficient V8 and V6 technology that we know is out there, but the car makers (perhaps?) in collaboration with the fuel companies have up to now refused to make available to the motoring public.

MatsHolden
1st May 2008, 10:23 PM
I think why not put in a 2.0 Litre turbo entry level engine. If it means more sales for GM then it can't be a bad thing.

tim_
1st May 2008, 10:27 PM
or a 3.0l turbo like the one in the 335i :D:D

poita
1st May 2008, 10:47 PM
i dont care if its a 100hp V8, if tis a camaro or mustang it MUST have that V8 sound.
its just down right wrong with out it!

USC
1st May 2008, 11:21 PM
i dont care if its a 100hp V8, if tis a camaro or mustang it MUST have that V8 sound.

u can always add some kick ass speakers under the bonnet.

Wraith
2nd May 2008, 09:50 AM

+1

Exactly my sentiments.......

To any true enthusiast of this car, there's no way in hell he or she would buy one with anything other than a V8.

Look at the tiny percentage of the recent Monaro that sold as a 6 !!! not many at all and probably most were company cars that have a 'no go' V8 rule...

How many Monaros do you think would've sold with a 4 pot powerplant ???

I suppose the new 'fast and furious' generation would have one with a 4 potter :) gotta have da dose man LOL :rolleyes:

UnKnOwN
6th May 2008, 12:38 PM

+1 here