PDA

View Full Version : Not Driving Car for Extended Periods

btm
28th April 2008, 09:30 AM
Is there anything you should do to a car if you're not going to be driving it for extended periods of time?

How long till fuel starts getting a bit old?

Anything else to look out for?

SSS_Hoon
28th April 2008, 09:34 AM
How long?

Start it and let it run to operating temps every now and then and it should all be good.

As for off fuel if your only starting it and letting it idle to warm up with the occasional rev then off fuel shouldnt be that bad for it.

When you want to drive it again maybe drain the fuel and put new fuel in it just to be safe, or get a octane booster and then fill the tank up.

SSS_Hoon

btm
28th April 2008, 09:55 AM
How long?
max of about a couple of months

its always in the garage so at least its not exposed to the elements...

SSS_Hoon
28th April 2008, 10:01 AM
itll be all good.

SSS_Hoon

Apex
28th April 2008, 10:10 AM
Also if you have an alarm with a battery backup siren make sure you disconnect your battery, otherwise it will drain.

oneightoo
28th April 2008, 10:12 AM
and make sure you check the oil before starting it again if you havent driven it for a few months..

a friend of mine left a car in a garage for 5 months and then drove it.. it had no oil.. ba bow..

btm
28th April 2008, 10:13 AM
Also if you have an alarm with a battery backup siren make sure you disconnect your battery, otherwise it will drain.

i do not have this, but thanks for the tip

btm
28th April 2008, 10:14 AM
and make sure you check the oil before starting it again if you havent driven it for a few months..

a friend of mine left a car in a garage for 5 months and then drove it.. it had no oil.. ba bow..

wouldnt the oil light be on on the dash?

oneightoo
28th April 2008, 10:14 AM
i'd disconnect it anyway..

oneightoo
28th April 2008, 10:15 AM
wouldnt the oil light be on on the dash?

it was a rather old car.. dont know if it had one ??

btm
28th April 2008, 10:15 AM
i'd disconnect it anyway..

doesnt that reset everything?

oneightoo
28th April 2008, 10:16 AM
doesnt that reset everything?

yeah, but you have the stereo code right?

better that than forking out for a new battery..

SSS_Hoon
28th April 2008, 10:21 AM
After 5 months no oil, must of been a leak for sure.

SSS_Hoon

btm
28th April 2008, 10:30 AM
yeah, but you have the stereo code right?

better that than forking out for a new battery..

i'm assuming its in the black book in my glovebox...?

oneightoo
28th April 2008, 12:08 PM
i'm assuming its in the black book in my glovebox...?

yeah it should be.. but make sure it is before disconnecting lol

After 5 months no oil, must of been a leak for sure.

SSS_Hoon

i guess there was.. but i'd always check it just to make sure..

USC
28th April 2008, 12:40 PM
your car is fairly new...it should be fine..I left my car for 3 months in the garage when i went on holidays and it started fine.

SSS_Hoon
28th April 2008, 12:47 PM
the last time i left my car for a amount of time, i got back in to it with a new engine in there you may be this lucky also.

SSS_Hoon

btm
28th April 2008, 01:02 PM
the last time i left my car for a amount of time, i got back in to it with a new engine in there you may be this lucky also.

SSS_Hoon

fingers crossed its turned into a new HSV GTS Coupe or an M3 perhaps... :rolleyes:

SSS_Hoon
28th April 2008, 01:16 PM
fingers crossed its turned into a new HSV GTS Coupe or an M3 perhaps... :rolleyes:

now that is being optimistic, and here i was being happy with jsut a new engine not a entire new car....

But for me it would have to be a R50 or a R8 i would say mmmmm yumm...

SSS_Hoon

btm
28th April 2008, 01:31 PM
an R8 would be acceptable too :D

SSS_Hoon
28th April 2008, 01:34 PM
im talking audi R8 not HSV R8 though?

SSS_Hoon

USC
28th April 2008, 01:46 PM
AN R8 diesel v10 turbo would be nice

SSS_Hoon
28th April 2008, 01:51 PM
AN R8 diesel v10 turbo would be nice

check out the R50, V10 bi turbo oiler good for 850nm with awd DSG(fairly sure its DSG anyway).

SSS_Hoon

btm
28th April 2008, 01:52 PM
im talking audi R8 not HSV R8 though?
either or, i'm not fussy when it comes to free cars that just turn up in my garage...

daaaaavek
28th April 2008, 11:56 PM
either or, i'm not fussy when it comes to free cars that just turn up in my garage...

ah cool .. so I'll buy a $500 shitbox off eBay and swap out your car while you're away then. Might drink all your beer while I'm there eh? :D

wyx56
29th April 2008, 07:33 AM
My car is garaged for approx 5 months during the winter. I disconnect the battery ...........all the flashing alarm lights in the car were a major drain!! Much cheaper to alarm the garage than keep changing battery:rolleyes: Fuel wise its normaly got quarter of tank on storage and never had a problem with it.
Just hope we have a better summer this year or she wont see much daylight:boohoo:

btm
29th April 2008, 08:26 AM
5 months!! what do you do during that time?

Wraith
30th April 2008, 11:22 AM
Is there anything you should do to a car if you're not going to be driving it for extended periods of time?

How long till fuel starts getting a bit old?

Anything else to look out for?

Just noticed this thread... :)

What I do with mine BTM is start them up and let them run at least once a fortnight for around 20mins. and before turning them off, I play with the accelerator at varying revs for a few more minutes, by then all the moisture is dried up in the exhaust and the battery and fluids in the motor are happy.

With my vert which has a high power ICE set up, I turn off the main power feed, or it'll drain the battery in a short time space.

I also rotate the wheels by moving the cars position forward or backwards, so that you don't get a flattened area developing on the tyres.

And I also cover the cars with a cotton cloth, to avoid muck/dust build up (especially for a soft top convertible) and put a similar piece of material between wipers and windshield.

If it's an auto I always engage drive and reverse and let it travel up and down 5 to 10ft or so, this keeps the fluid and clutches in the auto trans happy...

Hope that helps :)

btm
30th April 2008, 11:36 AM
cheers for all the feedback and suggestions everyone :)