PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading SRI 2.2 to a 2.0T

MaximusSmurf
10th July 2004, 10:46 AM
I have an SRI 2.2 and I am SERIOUSLY considering upgrading to a SRI 2.0T. It will cost approximately $10,000 to fully upgrade.

My car's ok. The handling's ok, the brakes are above average, CAN'T TURN TRACTION CONTROL OFF :evil: I don't like the way it looks. I got told the pther day my front tyres are unroadworthily worn after 15,000 k's!!!! :shock:
I also thought, from reading the forums, that more money and more elaborate and complex modifications are needed to get good performance increases with the SRI 2.2 (which could create problems with my insurance/warranty) so I figured the SRI 2.0T was a better route to take as although it costs more to upgrade, I got the 'extra' features (leather seats, bigger wheels etc) included.

I really like the SRI Turbo. I took one for a test drive the other day and was disappointed with the performance (It did only have 4 kms on the clock, does not being run in make a big difference to the Turbos?) Looks AWESOME 8) Bigger wheels, bigger brakes, wider track, more power (apparently) .
I also like the fact that I can get a 27kw increase with a performance chip (www.powerchip.com.au) which is undetectable (handy coz I am still on my P's). I would also like to install some sort of sports exhaust for small performance but mostly to give it a little bit of a 'growl'.

My question is......... IS IT WORTH IT? I would appreciate some advice on any pros and cons of the two cars, long term and short term.

I know car basics, but I am not hugely mechanically minded, so if any terms/mods etc could be explained, it would be greatly appreciated.

Nem
10th July 2004, 10:51 AM
Given that there's a new shape coming out in a few months I dont think it's hardly worth changing cars. Buy an Astra H turbo if they even make it out here or spend the difference on your 2.2.

Cheers
Ben

Degen-Astra
10th July 2004, 11:57 AM
Look at the mods you can do under $10,000 to the SRi that you currently have. See what gains you can get.

Camshafts, Intakes, Exhausts, Chipping - these are probably some of the simpilest ways to gain power from you car. Investigate how much it is for these things and see what power gains you MAY get from these things.

Personally I opted against getting a turbo. But thats just me.

It comes down to personal choice i guess.

Jass
10th July 2004, 12:15 PM
Even if you put 10k in the engine the most you will probobly get out of the engine will be around 230-250bhp. That's with Cams, New pistons ect ect. This has been done in the UK.

Also there are no plans by holden to even release the Astra H Turbo in the australia. I am not sure if there even releasing the 2.2. I think the most were getting atm is the 1.8L.

Best bet is to call holden head office and ask them.

Nem
10th July 2004, 12:21 PM
Even if you put 10k in the engine the most you will probobly get out of the engine will be around 230-250bhp. That's with Cams, New pistons ect ect. This has been done in the UK.

I'd still like to see what it does for a Q mile though.

Jass
10th July 2004, 12:22 PM
With around 250bhp maybe in the mid 14's?

Turblue
10th July 2004, 12:23 PM
Sorry... Go the turbo...

I know you can slag me as I have one. But I have driven both, and sorry, but mine wins hands down. The torque is there all the time. By the time you hit powerband, I'm gone. And you won't catch up.

Another thing ( Sorry Nick ), you are going to have to do a lot of mods to gain 40kw and 50nm from memory. And on top of that, bigger wheels, brakes, leather interior etc etc...

Degen-Astra
10th July 2004, 02:41 PM
Oh...i never ever expect to be a turbo beater at all. :wink: Dont worry i aint that much of a dreamer Wayne. Hee hee! I would have to do some SERIOUS mods to get up to the Turbos power and torque output. I know that for a fact.

I just liked the 2.2 over the Turbo. Leather Interior actually was a major thing that put me off the Turbo. Plus for me insurance was a factor as well (even though I was looking at a cooper S that would be insured at a price of approx. 2k)

You can all pick your jaws off the ground now.

But in the end. If you justify it to yourself, go for it. Thats why i went with the 2.2 SRi. Its all personal choice in the end.

For the record - If i can get to 100kw at the wheels i will be more than content with that effort. Anything above that will be a bonus for me.

imad4u
10th July 2004, 05:00 PM
have you thought about insurance cost's when having a turbo.... i would double what your paying now... and thats if you can even insure it as well... as alot of company will not insure people with a turbo under the age of 25 :evil:

dannysport18
11th July 2004, 10:26 AM
the astra h sri turbo is about 170 to 180bhp but the engine is the same so you could remap it to 210 no probs i would say when the astra h comes out the price of the astra g will drop a bit but at the end of the day if you want one buy one
when i had my astra coupe turbo i found that it has 2much power for a fwd car :wink: if you want some thing faster get a :bang: 4x4 jap car :twisted: the 2.2 astra is not that slow re map it your be getting 170bhp no probs with a new zorst fit 308mm brakes from the turbo very easy :bang:

FLY-SRi
11th July 2004, 12:04 PM
is there gonna be anymore Astra G turbo's avaliable when the H is released? becoz rite now there pretty hard to find espash black....coz im thinking wot if u do wait til the H is released n u dun like it and by then the G would prob be discontinued....also take that into consideration

Rhino
11th July 2004, 12:56 PM
For what it's worth:

When I bought my Turbo, a big factor was the price... I did insurance research and that was about $100 more than my CD so no worries there.

It's only a 10g upgrade for you MaximusSmurf but for anyone else interested in upgrading, here's what I did to get around the price increase.

When I financed the car, I got my loan with a balloon payment. What this did was allow me to make the repayments on the car the same as what I was paying on my CD. No immediate financial difference. You then end up with an outstanding balance on the car at the end of that term of the loan. This gives you a number of options.

• Refinance the remainder of the loan;
• Pay out the remainder of the loan; or
• Trade up

The Turbo is an awesome 'out-of-the-box' package and gets my vote any day. You cannot argue with the Bang For Your Buck title that it earned. It is an absolute pleasure to drive, looks fantastic, and it gets reaction.

The 'WHAT THE F?' reaction when you blow the doors off something 'bigger and faster'. :lol:

Can I just say here in response to you saying that the Turbo didn't feel more powerful - that you will notice a performance DECREASE more than an increase. Drive the SRiT for 6 months and then jump in an SRi! Turblue can vouch for this.

But that is purely an SRi Vs SRiT scenario.

There are plenty of other cars out there that compare or are better than the SRiT. But, you go second hand or new and more expensive. GTR Skyline (mmmm R33 GT), Audi 1.8 T, Integra Type R... Soooo many options.

I can only say that because I researched and planned, I feel more than satisfied (and a touch of pride - I'm getting emotional), everytime I park my car, look at, drive and wash it. You don't want to get 6 months down the track, novelty has worn off, and it is a financial burden.

So if you've got money to burn - and like Astras, got the turbo. If the SRi is holding up OK. I'd keep it.

Sorry for the long post :oops: And good luck with whatever you end up doing.

PS: Yes, I own an SRiT

blueraven
12th July 2004, 12:53 AM
um... excuse me for saying this.... :oops:

but if you have that kind of money... why do you want to stick with an astra?
there are much quicker cars :twisted: (and better looking :wink: ) for the kind of money it looks like you can spend?

each to his own though if you want to stick with the astra, i dont mind them at all... just saying there are plenty other cars out there. :)

dug74
12th July 2004, 01:06 AM
if you wanna upgrade and spend $10K why not buy a V6 Veccy..they are nice and fast enuff...probably heaps cheaper to insure too...being under 25 and turbo :bang:

dannysport18
12th July 2004, 01:09 AM
or buy a rice rocket a honda CTR will kill the astra on the bends but the astra turbo is a nice car just buy a 2nd hand one and spend the few ££ you saved on that and tune in 8)

Matt Smith
18th July 2004, 02:40 AM
Why not turbo charge your Astra 2.2?

In Europe we have the Vectra 2.0 T. But this is a 2.0 version of the current 2.2 engine with a turbo creating 175bhp.

This is also the same engine as the new Saab 9-3 which is 210bhp in the Aero model.

By adding the standard Garrat Turbo as fitted to the Z20NET Vectra and Signum you should see about 190BHP in standard form taking into account the 2.2 starts at 145BHP.

Thats what I would do.

rjastra
19th July 2004, 11:01 PM
The performance bargain at the moment is the "run out" Clio SPort 172.
124kw/200Nm in a 1050kg car = Integra Type R beater. Handles/rides better than any Astra can (has to be said!). And it is even better equipped than the Astra.

I reckon the new Astra SRi will be a much more rounded car than the current vehicle. Reports have the handling of the new model miles ahead of the current Astra G.

NUTTTR
20th July 2004, 12:43 AM
I test drove the sri (2.2L) and 1.8L cd when looking for the astra, sorry, but the 2.2L is in a different league, the turbo is different again, but the 2.2L pulls 4th from idling up a small slope..... i've NEVER had a problem with power or torque, that said i didn't drive it really slow, etc, in run in as was told to drive it like you normally would and the car would "perform better" once run in..... not sure if it's true or not, but i wore a substansial amount off my front tyres in 10,000k's and the 2.2L is fast enough to get me sideways around a corner or do a burnout in second, etc, etc, etc....... i'd LOVE a turbo, but can't justify the cash to upgrade, or the insurance, etc, etc, etc......
I also made a work around for the traction control, there's a post somewhere with photo's by SmellyTofu about it with my instructions...... If you are handy with wire, all it takes is 1 wire really :) Traction control is excellent in the wet, but other times i turn it off as it bogs down too much sometimes :)
My 2c, keep the 2.2L take the 10K and invest it in anything, high or low return, then use the interest or the earnings to buy mods for your car...... :)