PDA

View Full Version : replacement key and touch up paint.

wishbone
23rd April 2008, 09:47 AM
hi guys, just wondering if anyone has ever lost their keys before? and how much it was to replace it.
i went ot hte holden dealers, and i was told i can get it for $262, discounted from $350.
its quite expensive. i was hoping for around 100-150 dollars?

also. has anyone found touch up paint for power red?

USC
23rd April 2008, 09:56 AM
key sounds about right...u would have to pay extra for programming...

paint - spares should have them in stock...or if they dont, they can order some.

sooty
23rd April 2008, 02:48 PM
paint - spares should have them in stock...or if they dont, they can order some.

+1
costs about $12 from memory

wishbone
23rd April 2008, 08:21 PM
thanks again diesel and USC. i've found em for 17 bucks, but sounds a little dear for touch up paint. repco and other auto stores sell them for 11 bucks. so i was trying to shop around. noone has power red though.

sooty
23rd April 2008, 08:26 PM
Hmm...try another dealership...mine was definitely no more than $12 and it's a metallic colour too.
I guess even if it is $17, it'll give you a lifetime of use for the car...

USC
23rd April 2008, 10:26 PM
depends on the colour and also different dealers have different prices.

poita
23rd April 2008, 10:38 PM
just buy it, im sure you will use it

Alix
24th April 2008, 06:54 PM
thanks again diesel and USC. i've found em for 17 bucks, but sounds a little dear for touch up paint. repco and other auto stores sell them for 11 bucks. so i was trying to shop around. noone has power red though.

One of the things on my plate at the moment is fixing a few paint chips on my wife's car. It's a VZ Commodore, and so I thought I'd have no trouble finding the colour. What I found out was that there are three brands of spray paint available in the auto stores (Holts, Duplicolour, Powerplus I think they were), and they're all made by the same mob (Honeywell - go figure), and they all have the same colour range. My wife's car wasn't one of them.

In the end I had my local Holden dealer make me up a small can. Cost me $15 (about two weeks ago, so fairly recently). Then a guy at work told me of a mob who could make up any colour in a spray can, so I ended up paying them another $35 to mix up another batch and stick it in a spraycan for me.

DEE-80Y
24th April 2008, 07:05 PM
One of the things on my plate at the moment is fixing a few paint chips on my wife's car. It's a VZ Commodore, and so I thought I'd have no trouble finding the colour. What I found out was that there are three brands of spray paint available in the auto stores (Holts, Duplicolour, Powerplus I think they were), and they're all made by the same mob (Honeywell - go figure), and they all have the same colour range. My wife's car wasn't one of them.

In the end I had my local Holden dealer make me up a small can. Cost me $15 (about two weeks ago, so fairly recently). Then a guy at work told me of a mob who could make up any colour in a spray can, so I ended up paying them another $35 to mix up another batch and stick it in a spraycan for me.

Thats not to bad. Those rip offs at holden charged me $50.00 for my paint to be mixed and put in a can for me...
The only reason i went there was, I couldn't find my colour anywhere else.

wishbone
24th April 2008, 07:38 PM
wow. i wouldn't mind having it put in a can. who are these guys?

Alix
24th April 2008, 08:02 PM
wow. i wouldn't mind having it put in a can. who are these guys?

They're in Canberra. Dunno if there's a local mob who do the same thing near you.

This should take you to their Yellow Pages ad. (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/onlineSolution_moreInfo.do?z=302609&headingCode=44741&listingPosition=1&iblName=Allard+Paint+Distributors&iblId=1666206&pageNumber=1&authToken=1197fdb539c%7Cadd0d4c46577c3e4fadc71a873 c4a9f3&st=bn)

The can i got is made by "ColorPak", and says on the back "The paint in this can was loaded by the retailer from whom it was purchased", so I suspect that there will be more places that do this. Maybe hunt around in your local area for paint distributors?

USC
24th April 2008, 10:25 PM
heaps of places in melbourne put colour match paint in a can. for example, there is a car and truck paint shop on the corner of blackburn road and princes HWY that does it.

Trust me, for chips etc, spray paint in a can is SHIT. I have used it before. and it is only good if you have a very old car and you dont have a metallic colour as metallics or pearl need a clear on top. plus, that paint in the can would be air dry duco which is crap compared to oven baked 2 pak..u wouldnt wana spray air dry duco all over your car..it would look UGLY and it will peel easily.

go buy yourself and very good artist brush (they sell pretty good fine ones at bunnings) and put a few coats in the chips. let dry for a few days and cut and polish off the whole area.

Most dealerships sell touch up paint. or you can go to some autobarn and get the paint mixed up. panel shops do it too but they only have 2k paint which require a hardner and the paint will only last 3 hours even if sealed...as it dries with a chemical reaction and not with air. NEVER put 2k paint without the hardner and it will NEVER dry.

Alix
24th April 2008, 11:34 PM
Trust me, for chips etc, spray paint in a can is SHIT.

I should have been clearer. "Stone chips" included a fairly hefty one on the bonnet >1cm in diameter to bare metal with surface rust, plus a few bumper scrapes. That's why I went for the spray can.

I've got cutting compound and clear coat ready.

USC
25th April 2008, 01:09 AM
I should have been clearer. "Stone chips" included a fairly hefty one on the bonnet >1cm in diameter to bare metal with surface rust, plus a few bumper scrapes. That's why I went for the spray can.

I've got cutting compound and clear coat ready.

fair enough... do u find that the paint blends easily with a can? its betta to use an air brush;) I have one and it works really nice:p ..have only used it on an old car though...perfect blend in to cover scratches and chips.

Alix
25th April 2008, 01:27 AM
It's too early to tell - I haven't finished the job yet. The colour went down last weekend, and seems OK. I blended it in a fair bit to the surrounding paint. Right now it's a good match for colour, but a bit duller - nothing a quick cut and clear coat shouldn't fix.

USC
25th April 2008, 02:36 AM
nice! good luck! what sort of car is it?

Alix
25th April 2008, 12:51 PM
Nothing too special - just a VZ Acclaim.