PDA

View Full Version : supercharged 2.2

glider
22nd April 2008, 03:39 PM
was having a look at one of the uk tuners and noticed this thing:

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=102

resulting in:

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=77#SC_Spec

reckon any company over here do that kinda stuff if parts were imported?

Astra G 2.2 16v Supercharger Conversion - Price from £5950.00. 240+ bhp and 230+ lb ft torque. Requires Full Sports Exhaust System (we have used a 2.5" system from manifold to the tailbox with the pre-cat removed on our car).

i know a turbo car is cheaper, just asking the question

btm
22nd April 2008, 03:45 PM
for GBP 6000 you could buy a whole astra SRi car...

InsaneAsylum
22nd April 2008, 03:50 PM
LOL everything is so overpriced in the UK

you could probably get a supercharger from CAPA and get a custom conversion for cheaper than that.

just looked up XE.com.... 6,000.00 GBP = 12,618.48 AUD

blueraven
22nd April 2008, 04:27 PM
Add a few hundred pounds for postage, and good luck with the customs tax as well.

Add the piggyback ecu you will need for tuning...possibly injectors...then the exhaust..then the labor...

it would be a nice car to have, but take it from me, sinking that much money into a car, you had better LOVE the car an plan on keeping it for years unless yu are happy to lose significant money on it all...

btm
22nd April 2008, 04:32 PM
could almost buy BR's car for that money too :D

oneightoo
22nd April 2008, 04:32 PM
or just buy blueravens.. it comes with something better than that supercharger..

Calibrated
22nd April 2008, 04:36 PM
that kit alone is more than my cali:eek:

USC
22nd April 2008, 04:45 PM
I say if you have the money..go for it! be different! and enjoy a "no lag" performance that sounds like a jet.

Wraith
22nd April 2008, 04:53 PM
Yeh, great to have, but definitely source and get it done locally if you really wanted that combination...

Not only will it be cheaper, but if you have any problems (and most likely you will) you can always go back to the source to have it looked at or repaired !!

glider
22nd April 2008, 04:53 PM
i currently have no plans to do anything like this

was just wondering it anyone in aus would try something this bold

i'd rather buy BR's car than do get something like this done too, but thats unfortunately not an option for me at the moment

Wraith
22nd April 2008, 05:00 PM
i currently have no plans to do anything like this

was just wondering it anyone in aus would try something this bold

i'd rather buy BR's car than do get something like this done too, but thats unfortunately not an option for me at the moment

That's fair enough :)

It has come up and been discussed many times before, no ones done it though...

The only over the top forced induction make over is Mr Corsa' car :)

glider
22nd April 2008, 05:01 PM
is there an actual link to mr corsa's car? i've had a bit of a look but havent managed to see one (apart from his recent dyno sheet)

kabel
22nd April 2008, 06:05 PM
The current issue of Performance Tuner Magazine has an extensive
write up on this same car.

KID_SRi
22nd April 2008, 06:17 PM
That's fair enough :)

It has come up and been discussed many times before, no ones done it though...

The only over the top forced induction make over is Mr Corsa' car :)

Its been tried by someone here before *Rolls Eyes*
It never got finished as $$$ was Low & Shit kept Breaking, it become a money pit.

HappySlapper82
22nd April 2008, 06:53 PM
Just buy an Mr2 supercharger from a toyota wreckers, they price around 100-150 dollars and cpc do intake kits cheap too. Its the latest commonwhore v6 trend around here

blueraven
22nd April 2008, 07:41 PM
enjoy a "no lag" performance that sounds like a jet.

Exactly, buy an astra turbo. ;)

(If anyone says an astra turbo has lag then there is one of two things: the person clearly has never driven one, or the astra has some serious issues. Ask any jap turbo driver where they hit full boost, normally around 3k, but the astra is on full wail by 1900rpm!)

InsaneAsylum
22nd April 2008, 07:43 PM
yeah home made fabrication is the way to go.... you have the added bonus of learning stuff about cars at the same time

but yeah, i would probably get more enjoyment out of 6000gbp worth of hookers and cocaine

USC
22nd April 2008, 09:28 PM
Exactly, buy an astra turbo. ;)

(If anyone says an astra turbo has lag then there is one of two things: the person clearly has never driven one, or the astra has some serious issues. Ask any jap turbo driver where they hit full boost, normally around 3k, but the astra is on full wail by 1900rpm!)

astra does not have lag but u can still feel a boost of power at about 3k.

daaaaavek
22nd April 2008, 11:29 PM
was having a look at one of the uk tuners and noticed this thing:

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=102

resulting in:

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=77#SC_Spec

reckon any company over here do that kinda stuff if parts were imported?

i know a turbo car is cheaper, just asking the question

You can buy the S/C and inlet manifold as a kit from the USA ..
[/URL][url]http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=184789 (http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=184789)

The price of Courtenay's kit includes labor don't forget ..

The biggest challenge in Aus with doing a S/C conversion is not getting the parts, it's the z22se ECU. As far as I know there are no tuning places in Australia that are capable of properly re-mapping the ECU. That might change depending on what Courtenay's ProTech unit is capable of...

At the moment Courtenay bolt on an external ECU to control 2 extra injectors for on-boost fuelling. If done properly a re-mapped OEM ECU would work just as well. A more realistic option for Aus would be a fully-mappable external ECU.

A S/C Astra in the UK is doing about 184kW at the flywheel (which will give most turbos a run for their money). But further to the cost of doing the S/C upgrade are things like bigger brakes, stronger diff, better tyres etc..

All things considered I wouldn't expect to see much change out of $10,000 for doing a S/C conversion .. but paraphrase Gordon Ramsay, "**** me it'd be a ****ing fun car to drive" ;)

glider
23rd April 2008, 12:34 AM
are the US engines mounted the same way as our engines?

if you could get the appropriate ecu fix, that us kit would be fun

==edit==

seen a pic, they are mounted the same way, however their air box is where our coolant tank sits, so the battery would have to be moved to perhaps connect a pod to the supercharger

daaaaavek
23rd April 2008, 01:13 AM
The Courtenay kit is a modified version of the USA kit. Also, Courtenay moves the ECU next to the ABS unit, and the battery to the boot.

glider
23rd April 2008, 01:33 AM
both would be a pain in terms of wiring

would matt/wayne be able to do anything with regards to this ecu issue you reckon?

daaaaavek
23rd April 2008, 07:53 PM
I doubt it .. it would require a live re-mapping on a dyno

Wiring up an ECU is a piece of piss (well for me it would be)

Black Nugget
23rd April 2008, 07:58 PM
with 5990 pounds you could buy almost any 8 year old v8 car in england....v8!!!:eek:

MitchSRi
23rd April 2008, 09:14 PM
(If anyone says an astra turbo has lag then there is one of two things: the person clearly has never driven one, or the astra has some serious issues. Ask any jap turbo driver where they hit full boost, normally around 3k, but the astra is on full wail by 1900rpm!) *cough* Auto Astra Turbo Diesel *cough*

Infact both Astra Turbo diesels have turbo lag.

Now what do I win :)

glider
24th April 2008, 04:31 AM
I doubt it .. it would require a live re-mapping on a dyno

Wiring up an ECU is a piece of piss (well for me it would be)

so you reckon you can solve the issue then? :p

Dave
24th April 2008, 05:01 AM
Capa do kits for honda's and the like, even excel's. I asked them about a kit for a astra and they quoted me 10g as it would be a custom job. They do em for a POS excell why not an astra ?

http://www.capa.com.au/kits.htm

Also FIST auto quoted me 10-15k for a custom turbo kit, heh i laughed at them.

Fist Performance2/1460 Boundary RoadWacol QLD 4076Phone: 07 3271 3223Fax: 07 3271 3233Email: [email protected] ([email protected])Website: www.fistaudio.com (http://www.fistaudio.com/)

The best by far is Catch Me, they quoted me 4.5k for a custom turbo job, they even went on to say theyve done a couple. ( Im guessing its a sales pitch )

Catch Me Performance PtyUnit 3/6 Pendrey CourtUnderwood QLD 4119Phone: 07 3386 0100 Fax: 07 3356 0122Email: [email protected] ([email protected])Website: www.catchmeperformance.com.au (http://www.catchmeperformance.com.au)

Some of these links may not work, they were pulled of an old web site, but the phone numbers sure do ;)

KID_SRi
27th April 2008, 05:35 PM
Force Inducting a Z22SE (2.2) or even a X18 1.8 is a P.I.T.A.
Me & Mr Corsa have been in Contact for years, Its slightly easier to do a 1.8, Even Tony will tell you its a Prick.
They're drive by wire, You have to use a Specified DBW/FBW ECU.
Re-mapping the Standard ECU won't work, The ECU won't reconise the Turbo/Supercharger making it 'Limp Mode'. Then you have to add New Sensors. Try using Windows Vista with a Commodore 64 ;)
You have to use a FBW Compliant ECU, They aint cheap.
My MoTec M800 cost me $7000 in 2004.
I've been done this track & It cost me alot, No one wants to know about a Forced Inducted Astra or Corsa. Anyone that CLAIMS to have done it & Got Huge Power & CLAIMS its a piece of Piss is a ****ing Lair.
The bloke who worked on mine claimed he could do it gave up.

So Moral to the Story, Buy a SRi-T or VXR. Or Even better a STi or Evo.

blueraven
27th April 2008, 05:40 PM
well since i have just bought my new sti, i am looking to shift my astra even faster now....

so better start convincing your dad ;) its a bargain.

KID_SRi
27th April 2008, 05:43 PM
well since i have just bought my new sti, i am looking to shift my astra even faster now....

so better start convincing your dad ;) its a bargain.

If my Dad was Alive, He'd be contemplating releieving you of your SRi-T

blueraven
27th April 2008, 07:31 PM
sorry to hear that mate, but i was referring to glider :)

KID_SRi
27th April 2008, 07:48 PM
Oops My Bad.
Thanks Buddy :)