PDA

View Full Version : Just got Back from Walkinshaw

sportscoupehsv
18th April 2008, 01:45 PM
Hey guys
Just got back from Walkinshaw and was talking to the Manager there and asked how things were going with the Astra Sri Turbo they were fixing up and he said noone was interested and they have stuff just sitting there waiting to be sold . This is a bit of a pity really seeing they are a really good tuner and good at fitting suspension and brakes and performance tuning also .
We really need to get some people together as far as tuning goes and see if the knowledge that everyone and find a good tuner and get some cars tuner and get some more interest in the cars we all love to drive .
I am sure if we get our heads together we can sort something out and maybe chat with people in the know .
Who knows what could happen . I am seriously considering getting a VXR in June and investing in a blufin plug in tuner and maybe also some other upgrades . I have heard there are some very quick cars in this club already and if thats true maybe finding out who did their work would be a good place to start . If there is enough interest i am sure there would be some tuners who would be more than happy to help out and give discounts if they know people will be back to see them . Thorney Motorsport in England have done alot of work tuning wise and if your serious about fixing your car up and getting some more enjoyment out of it , it may well be something to think about . Let me know what you guys think ( I know you will ) and see what we can come up with eh

Also by the way the manager at Walkinshaw still has stock for Sri Turbo and some stuff for Vxr too . EG : Irshmer grille for SRI turbo and also Brakes and Exhausts ( NO Exhausts for VXR seeing they are differant) so if your after stuff let me know and i may be able to get it a little cheaper .
I do know they have a brake ( Front) upgrade for both Sri and VXR in kit form and its AP racing Kit but its not cheap but looks awesome .

PaulyJ
18th April 2008, 02:32 PM
Trev, I think what went wrong with their 'experiment' is that they did no marketing for it at all. Hardly anyone knew that they were dealing with the Astra SRi, and it was pricey for what they wanted.

This is however a good opportunity for anyone who may want some decent parts for their AH.

GreyRex
18th April 2008, 02:49 PM
Hey guys
Just got back from Walkinshaw and was talking to the Manager there and asked how things were going with the Astra Sri Turbo they were fixing up and he said noone was interested and they have stuff just sitting there waiting to be sold . This is a bit of a pity really seeing they are a really good tuner and good at fitting suspension and brakes and performance tuning also .
We really need to get some people together as far as tuning goes and see if the knowledge that everyone and find a good tuner and get some cars tuner and get some more interest in the cars we all love to drive .
I am sure if we get our heads together we can sort something out and maybe chat with people in the know .
Who knows what could happen . I am seriously considering getting a VXR in June and investing in a blufin plug in tuner and maybe also some other upgrades . I have heard there are some very quick cars in this club already and if thats true maybe finding out who did their work would be a good place to start . If there is enough interest i am sure there would be some tuners who would be more than happy to help out and give discounts if they know people will be back to see them . Thorney Motorsport in England have done alot of work tuning wise and if your serious about fixing your car up and getting some more enjoyment out of it , it may well be something to think about . Let me know what you guys think ( I know you will ) and see what we can come up with eh

Also by the way the manager at Walkinshaw still has stock for Sri Turbo and some stuff for Vxr too . EG : Irshmer grille for SRI turbo and also Brakes and Exhausts ( NO Exhausts for VXR seeing they are differant) so if your after stuff let me know and i may be able to get it a little cheaper .
I do know they have a brake ( Front) upgrade for both Sri and VXR in kit form and its AP racing Kit but its not cheap but looks awesome .

Great post, but them saying (when I called) that the Astra wasn't really where their business was, and the fact that some of the parts weren't tested officially didn't give me confidence. From my impressions they're a good company, but i've gone elsewhere for my limited mods...

SIMid
19th April 2008, 09:25 AM
and it was pricey for what they wanted.

Ditto. Maybe the prices scared those who were interested.

2 things they were selling and I was interested in was the Irmscher Grille for a pricey $990. From UK, these go for under $400. Also the Silicon Hose package with filter. Also at the $990 mark (they love that price bracket). I think I can source these hoses from UK without the filter for around $380-$450.

OPC
21st April 2008, 02:53 PM
they are ripp-off's

luvpsi
21st April 2008, 03:12 PM
they are ripp-off's

sure are...

Wraith
21st April 2008, 04:01 PM
Hey guys

All that the other guys have mentioned above should answer your questions !!! And this topic has come up and already discussed before...

They did do a bit of an advertising effort in one of the magazines, can't remember which one...

The 2 most valid facts as to why this is a failure for them:
1. Overpriced, if not totally ridiculous pricing for what's offered, Simon mentioned grille and hoses - check out the price they want for their lowering 'King springs' LOL at least twice what you'd pay at Pedders or anywhere else, they must think Astra owners are stupid :rolleyes:

2. Astra AH Sri T dosn't exist in any large numbers, so sales were never going to be huge anyways...

I don't know how they expected any different a result with this in Aust. :rolleyes:

bornwild
21st April 2008, 04:55 PM
They want $1000 for a grille!?....**** off, how stupid do they take us for

Orion_996
21st April 2008, 09:54 PM
All that the other guys have mentioned above should answer your questions !!! And this topic has come up and already discussed before...

They did do a bit of an advertising effort in one of the magazines, can't remember which one...

The 2 most valid facts as to why this is a failure for them:
1. Overpriced, if not totally ridiculous pricing for what's offered, Simon mentioned grille and hoses - check out the price they want for their lowering 'King springs' LOL at least twice what you'd pay at Pedders or anywhere else, they must think Astra owners are stupid :rolleyes:

2. Astra AH Sri T dosn't exist in any large numbers, so sales were never going to be huge anyways...

I don't know how they expected any different a result with this in Aust. :rolleyes:

I remember reading something about this in a Wheels or Motor mag, the total price of the mods mods plus the car cost, was more than the price of the VXR, and they were only handling and brakes mods. There was also an exhaust, but no power gains apparently and black coated stock rims. Either way, just buy a VXR.

sportscoupehsv
21st April 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys for letting me know the truth about this subject . I guess the only thing i can say is best of luck to them then eh. He did mention that he had alot of stock on the shelves . maybe i should talk him into selling it off at resonable prices then that way he can get rid of the stock . By the way i nearly fell over when he tod me how much front slotted rotors and calipers were for the turbo Sri and the VXR . wait for it $$$$$4300. and i thought to myself that cant be right . people who really havent looked into things and done their homework i guess .
Thanks again guys for telling me your thoughts on the subject , its good to be able to put something up and get the truth , thats the good thing about this site you guys are honest.

Shaun
22nd April 2008, 01:42 AM
Thanks guys for letting me know the truth about this subject . I guess the only thing i can say is best of luck to them then eh. He did mention that he had alot of stock on the shelves . maybe i should talk him into selling it off at resonable prices then that way he can get rid of the stock . By the way i nearly fell over when he tod me how much front slotted rotors and calipers were for the turbo Sri and the VXR . wait for it $$$$$4300. and i thought to myself that cant be right . people who really havent looked into things and done their homework i guess .
Thanks again guys for telling me your thoughts on the subject , its good to be able to put something up and get the truth , thats the good thing about this site you guys are honest.

The are AP rotor kits. thats about the price you will pay for Alcon and Brembos as well. (Yes Alcon now make a kit to suit the VXR ) You are getting brakes the size of what was fitted to a HSV VY Clubsport for that price. (front only) i think its a reasonable price what your getting. remember the kit include Hardware braided lines etc. AP brakes are not a cheap item regardless what they are fitted to. your paying for a brand that is well know for its capablitys. The benefits are there especially if you plan to pull a lot of power out your VXR if you buy one. The AP are very will do the job and they will do the job rather well especially if your putting the car on the track with added power increases.

Most people here are just tight and do things on the cheap. i guess next they will be telling us the Qualfe LSD is a rip off as well.

R3N
22nd April 2008, 02:04 AM
The are AP rotor kits. thats about the price you will pay for Alcon and Brembos as well. (Yes Alcon now make a kit to suit the VXR ) You are getting brakes the size of what was fitted to a HSV VY Clubsport for that price. (front only) i think its a reasonable price what your getting. remember the kit include Hardware braided lines etc. AP brakes are not a cheap item regardless what they are fitted to. your paying for a brand that is well know for its capablitys. The benefits are there especially if you plan to pull a lot of power out your VXR if you buy one. The AP are very will do the job and they will do the job rather well especially if your putting the car on the track with added power increases.

Most people here are just tight and do things on the cheap. i guess next they will be telling us the Qualfe LSD is a rip off as well.

There is a difference between being tight and being a smart shopper, which I will now point out:

Not willing to pay for something you want and expect it to be well below market price = tight

Not willing to pay for something that you know you can get elsewhere for cheaper = smart shopper

Interesting how you only mention the brake kits when you're having a go at *most people here* for being "tight and do things on the cheap". Are you forgetting about the overpriced Irmscher grille, the intake or the lowering springs? Because I don't remember anyone saying they were a rip off for the brake kit

SIMid
22nd April 2008, 07:34 AM
I dont think we are tight, just smart shoppers. If Walkinshaw can charge certain items that we can find else where for nearly half price, surely you can find the brakes for a lot less than $4K. I never looked at brake packages cause I dont do track work. I'm only taking a stab.

As for the hoses, I got an email from Courtenay Sport a few months ago .......

Hi

This hose kit without dump valve take off and dump valve is £153.00 for export to a Non EU country. Shipping by Airmail including insurance is £27.50

All prices are in GBP

GreyRex
22nd April 2008, 08:26 AM
Most people here are just tight and do things on the cheap.

We do things on the cheap because we can get an equivalent item cheaper. As others have said, it's called being smart. Once again, not the best comment to make

Shaun
22nd April 2008, 10:16 AM
There is a difference between being tight and being a smart shopper, which I will now point out:

Not willing to pay for something you want and expect it to be well below market price = tight

Not willing to pay for something that you know you can get elsewhere for cheaper = smart shopper

Interesting how you only mention the brake kits when you're having a go at *most people here* for being "tight and do things on the cheap". Are you forgetting about the overpriced Irmscher grille, the intake or the lowering springs? Because I don't remember anyone saying they were a rip off for the brake kit

Please show me where you will get 4 pot brakes for under 4k honestly ? As it was mentioned in the post i quoted where they were given a price of $4,300 . look at it this way. Its not a simple pull the rotors and calipers off and fit the AP on. Mountings are changed hoses to name a couple of things. in the Kit you get every thing required. Brakes are something that arent cheap when up grading. but you have to look at it as they are whats stops you. and one of the most important upgrades when increasing the power of any car. No good having all this power and not being able to stop.

The hose kit also has a POD filter and casing with the kit. Hence why when you buy it from overseas your getting it cheaper as your only purchasing the hoses not the Pod and enclosed casing with it. Do you homework and you will see why they are so expensive. they have developed the case which isnt a cheap thing to start with . Hours in fabraction isnt cheap . yes granted they do there own in house fabrication but its the labour thats involved .

I dont think we are tight, just smart shoppers. If Walkinshaw can charge certain items that we can find else where for nearly half price, surely you can find the brakes for a lot less than $4K. I never looked at brake packages cause I dont do track work. I'm only taking a stab.

As for the hoses, I got an email from Courtenay Sport a few months ago .......
For the VXR the Upgrade to the AP Are worth every cent regardless if your doing track or not. After going to a stage 2 or stage 3 map you will find they Are required. That is a well known fact in the UK and also im sure Lampshade would agree that they are well spent money as doses aussie.

As for the grille i wouldnt pay that either ill give you that.Infact i think the grille is one of the uglyest grilles i have seen. i would rather keep the Chrome V or coloured grille (depending what may car was fitted with ) But they need to put some mark up on the item. Remember they are paying the Freight the import duty and what other taxes are involved in the cost of shipping over. where you have to allow for the frieght and import duty as well. this all comes into the cost of the product. Im sure if you seen the costing and the GP on there products they more then likely are making about 25-30% GP which isnt alot when you think about it

But for the Brake up grade and Hose/ Pod kit its about what i would expect to pay . correct me if im wrong dont there kit inculde coolant lines as well where as the hoses everyone else is talking about only include intercooler hoses. Also im sure there pricing is RRP. Now seeing as its been mentioned they arent moving stock i think you would have a better chance of walking into Walkinshaw and doing a deal. show them your interested by walking in and say purchasing instead of coming back to a forum and bagging them out as they more then likely are on the forums.

We do things on the cheap because we can get an equivalent item cheaper. As others have said, it's called being smart. Once again, not the best comment to make

Oh btw i have spoken to Phil Harding via PM on another forum and ill pass on this link if you guys like and show him what support people here offer Walkinshaw for at least having a go for supporting the Astra range. You all complained that no one supports the cars here then when someone doses you all complain about the price. Your not doing the VXR owners any favors who are currently chasing a Milltek exhaust out of the uk. (Yes there are about 8 of us at present who are wanting to fit one ) At least they were interested in having a go at doing products for our cars. And i do recall an Article in motor where the SRi they modified was actually qouted to have a lap time close to a VXR and thats without even touching the ECU. In my mind thats a pretty good gain from Brakes Suspension Intake mods. Thats actually impressive to be honest. considering the SRi T is 30kw less and the same weight as the VXR.

SSS_Hoon
22nd April 2008, 10:28 AM
OH SNAP!

:D

SSS_Hoon

sportscoupehsv
22nd April 2008, 10:36 AM
Its all good when people want things that others get in differant countries but then when someone is willing enough to go that extra step and offer upgrades then noone buys them . Yes i did say i fell over whe i heard that price for brakes and i was told it was a nice kit , shock at how much brakes were for front only .
As i stated earlier if people are interested why doesnt everyone get together and sort out who wants what and go in as a group and buy all at once if that can be organised that way we may actually get them cheaper and that way walkinshaw may actually surport us in further development in the future . If this can happen then they may be able to get things in the future from over seas at a cheaper price and then they win by having a buyers and we win by having the expertise in tuning and fitting that walkinshaw can supply via selling products and and offering us a service . The only way a big tuning company is going to help us is if we can show them that there is interest in the service and that they can get something out of it too .
Have a look at an engish mag and see what surport they get from companys

Shaun
22nd April 2008, 10:45 AM
Its all good when people want things that others get in differant countries but then when someone is willing enough to go that extra step and offer upgrades then noone buys them . Yes i did say i fell over whe i heard that price for brakes and i was told it was a nice kit , shock at how much brakes were for front only .
As i stated earlier if people are interested why doesnt everyone get together and sort out who wants what and go in as a group and buy all at once if that can be organised that way we may actually get them cheaper and that way walkinshaw may actually surport us in further development in the future . If this can happen then they may be able to get things in the future from over seas at a cheaper price and then they win by having a buyers and we win by having the expertise in tuning and fitting that walkinshaw can supply via selling products and and offering us a service . The only way a big tuning company is going to help us is if we can show them that there is interest in the service and that they can get something out of it too .
Have a look at an engish mag and see what surport they get from companys

AGREED... finally someone that sees the point and what ive been saying for a while now. Take a look at www.vxronline.co.uk . The Main tuners are on that forum. They are there to help with there products and knowledge. And its because they know its what helps sell there products. Take for example Wortec with there Black VXR recently featured in Motor. The company are tuning the VXR8 as do Walkinshaw and the client base is growing for both due to good feed back from the forum. Not only do they have the support from the tuners. they also have the support from Vauxhall. This is one of the best forums i have ever seen in terms of support.

Intern they then offer members of the forums from time time discounts. example is TMS when blue fin was realased. anyone that has the TMS Maps were given a discount. At the rate were going we would be lucky to get any discount out of walkinshaw with the comments of being over priced.

GreyRex
22nd April 2008, 10:49 AM
OH SNAP!

:D

SSS_Hoon

There's just some people that aren't work it :p

SIMid
22nd April 2008, 08:54 PM
True about mark ups, everyone has to make a living. But being a reputable tuner, you would at least get the parts at wholesale price then add the mark up. Just the grille alone is worth over 100+% more to what I have come across. If it was say $550 to $600, then it sounds reasonable.

To me, it feels like they paid what we will pay and marked it up, like Car Shine prices. :p

As for myself, just the parts I was interested in were a little steep, thats all. I'm sure Walkin do great products and have fantastic R&D. I dont deny the brakes, they would be fantastic, but for $4+K, I'll put that on my homeloan instead. :dance:

Shaun
22nd April 2008, 09:18 PM
True about mark ups, everyone has to make a living. But being a reputable tuner, you would at least get the parts at wholesale price then add the mark up. Just the grille alone is worth over 100+% more to what I have come across. If it was say $550 to $600, then it sounds reasonable.

To me, it feels like they paid what we will pay and marked it up, like Car Shine prices. :p

As for myself, just the parts I was interested in were a little steep, thats all. I'm sure Walkin do great products and have fantastic R&D. I dont deny the brakes, they would be fantastic, but for $4+K, I'll put that on my homeloan instead. :dance:

I can see your point. And yeah the grille too in my mind is steep. The thing that annoys me the most is everyone one here seems to be giving them a bagging but when it comes down to it there arent many other importers in Australia selling parts for the SRi T and VXR really.

xplosv57
22nd April 2008, 09:43 PM
Gotta agree with Shaun on this one, $4300 may seem steep but while most people would pay that for looks, brakes are one of the most important things on a car, and while the factory items do the job well, if you're serious about performance stuff with the car, these should be priority!!!

The price is fairly good, considering upgrade brakes for a Commodore (which has a huge modifying market), range from $2500 for a decent kit all the way to $12k for premium monster gear, so $4k for a brake kit for a car which doesn't have a huge market is fairly decent!!!

Really depends how far you wanna take your car, personally makes more sense to use that 4k and buy a VXR with bigger brakes already on, same as buying an SS and a brake upgrade or a HSV with bigger brakes!!!!

Wraith
22nd April 2008, 10:07 PM
I can see your point. And yeah the grille too in my mind is steep. The thing that annoys me the most is everyone one here seems to be giving them a bagging but when it comes down to it there arent many other importers in Australia selling parts for the SRi T and VXR really.

Sorry Shaun, but I think you've got it ALL wrong with the above !

I can only speak for myself, but correct me if I'm wrong in saying that if you can buy an item for half the price elsewhere, as has been already mentioned enough here, that's more than enough reason to 'bag' as you put it the people who are charging twice for the same - is it not ??

Yes, they are not charging twice for ALL their items, but for quite alot of their stuff, they are...it's more than enough to turn people away and buy 'those' items elsewhere - is it not ??

I don't see this as being tight...

As most have mentioned, smart shopping is what it's about - not being tight !

If you 'really' want an item, you don't need an importer or local distributor, you contact the manufacturer/seller O/S yourself pay the money and arrange to get it - I've done this with just about every item I've purchased for both my Calibra and Astra and it's been CHEAPER that way than getting the same items here, either through GMH or Carshine or any other one of the limited Opel parts suppliers here, so why would you bother or deal with them anyway ?

As you've also stated regarding your desire for a Miltek exhaust, your reason for putting together a group buy or getting a local supplier involved is I assume to save some money, right ?

Well that too is smart shopping - is it not ? I'm sure if you really wanted one and think it's priced accordingly, you would've already had it imported, you wouldn't want to be called tight for trying to save a buck...

If you go back and re-read all the posts regarding WP items and their pricing where it has been mentioned, that's all we were trying to say or advise people, that these particular items from this mob are a rip off, so get them else where, that's good advice, not tight arse talk IMHO ;)

I'm honestly not trying to have a go at you, just trying to clear up what looks to me to be a miss-understanding and going off on a bit of a tangent in your post replies :)

R3N
22nd April 2008, 10:55 PM
Please show me where you will get 4 pot brakes for under 4k honestly ? As it was mentioned in the post i quoted where they were given a price of $4,300 . look at it this way. Its not a simple pull the rotors and calipers off and fit the AP on. Mountings are changed hoses to name a couple of things. in the Kit you get every thing required. Brakes are something that arent cheap when up grading. but you have to look at it as they are whats stops you. and one of the most important upgrades when increasing the power of any car. No good having all this power and not being able to stop.

Like I said "I don't remember anyone saying they were a rip off for the brake kit"

R3N
22nd April 2008, 11:03 PM

Its not THAT hard to get stuff in, especially when you can get it for CHEAPER than what they want for it. There aren't many other importers for SRiT and VXR parts because there isn't much of a demand for them to make it worthwhile. PRICE is the determining factor in alot of purchase decisions, so as long as the well-informed buyer knows that they can get the same, if not identical products at less than what it is sold for locally, I don't see why they should get ripped off and that does not constitute being "tight".

Shaun
23rd April 2008, 01:37 AM
Its not THAT hard to get stuff in, especially when you can get it for CHEAPER than what they want for it. There aren't many other importers for SRiT and VXR parts because there isn't much of a demand for them to make it worthwhile. PRICE is the determining factor in alot of purchase decisions, so as long as the well-informed buyer knows that they can get the same, if not identical products at less than what it is sold for locally, I don't see why they should get ripped off and that does not constitute being "tight".

Have you got an idea ?????

Have you ever priced the insurance freight and Import Duty of larger items for these cars to be brought into the country ???
I doubt you have. Were not talking piss ant Opel Badges or Astra G grilles. Walkinshaw are bringing in items that are costly items to start with. (Except the grille) The taxes Import duties Freight Handling fees and customs declorations storage plus profit margins are all factored into the cost of the Items. My point is stop whinging about the prices before you know all the facts. For all you know Walkinshaw could be getting next to no discount on these items because they arent purchasing in bulk . It could be a case of " catch 22" for alls you know . Until narrow minded people like your self actually think about things please dont comment. You all see it as they are stinging people. Jumping on a forum and Slagging there prices off isnt going to do anyone from this forum any favors.

As a member of the HSV club in NSW i have seen what good working relationships with supplyers and sponsors can do. Also being a member of www.vxronline.co.uk is one of the best examples of a forum who support the tuners and return the Tuners support the members . I highly doubt Walkinshaw would be even slightly interested in helping the members here considering the slegging they have copped from many members.So rather then shooting of that they are a " rip off " how about getting behind them and supporting them. Because they are the only people in this country at this stage who are even remotely interested in helping out Australian owner of the SRi T and VXR with aftermarket products.Sure some of us may pay a premuim Price now but later when we need / want more as we will be repeat customers im sure that they will look after us somewhat more. Its about building relationships with Suppliers. Not bagging them out. Not one of you have given them a chance really since my intial post over a yeah and a half ago of there move into the Astra preformance items. Its sad to see that so many norrow minded people exist on this forum.

Ohh BTW R3N . This thread( http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=306594#post306594)kindly proves you are a tight ass.. I stand by my comment of " Some people" are tight asses about these things.

Shaun
23rd April 2008, 01:55 AM
Gotta agree with Shaun on this one, $4300 may seem steep but while most people would pay that for looks, brakes are one of the most important things on a car, and while the factory items do the job well, if you're serious about performance stuff with the car, these should be priority!!!

The price is fairly good, considering upgrade brakes for a Commodore (which has a huge modifying market), range from $2500 for a decent kit all the way to $12k for premium monster gear, so $4k for a brake kit for a car which doesn't have a huge market is fairly decent!!!

Really depends how far you wanna take your car, personally makes more sense to use that 4k and buy a VXR with bigger brakes already on, same as buying an SS and a brake upgrade or a HSV with bigger brakes!!!!

Yeah it would make sense. But it just seems not possible. But next best thing is to do it when your ready to.

Thanks god some people here see it as a fair price

Shaun
23rd April 2008, 01:58 AM
Sorry Shaun, but I think you've got it ALL wrong with the above !

I can only speak for myself, but correct me if I'm wrong in saying that if you can buy an item for half the price elsewhere, as has been already mentioned enough here, that's more than enough reason to 'bag' as you put it the people who are charging twice for the same - is it not ??

Yes, they are not charging twice for ALL their items, but for quite alot of their stuff, they are...it's more than enough to turn people away and buy 'those' items elsewhere - is it not ??

I don't see this as being tight...

As most have mentioned, smart shopping is what it's about - not being tight !

If you 'really' want an item, you don't need an importer or local distributor, you contact the manufacturer/seller O/S yourself pay the money and arrange to get it - I've done this with just about every item I've purchased for both my Calibra and Astra and it's been CHEAPER that way than getting the same items here, either through GMH or Carshine or any other one of the limited Opel parts suppliers here, so why would you bother or deal with them anyway ?

As you've also stated regarding your desire for a Miltek exhaust, your reason for putting together a group buy or getting a local supplier involved is I assume to save some money, right ?

Well that too is smart shopping - is it not ? I'm sure if you really wanted one and think it's priced accordingly, you would've already had it imported, you wouldn't want to be called tight for trying to save a buck...

If you go back and re-read all the posts regarding WP items and their pricing where it has been mentioned, that's all we were trying to say or advise people, that these particular items from this mob are a rip off, so get them else where, that's good advice, not tight arse talk IMHO ;)

I'm honestly not trying to have a go at you, just trying to clear up what looks to me to be a miss-understanding and going off on a bit of a tangent in your post replies :)

Reason for a group buy of the Milltek is to save the selling dealer some problems with freight( insurance Import duties etc). If there are enough numbers then the dealer may cover some of the cost . We may have that advantage but its not a factor were looking at. All the owners who have expressed there interest havent really aren't conserned about the price of the system. they know the benefits as we all have done our research on the Milltek. Its about making it a viable project for the dealer who is looking at doing it for us. Again its what i refered to about Supplier helping the group and in return the group is helping the supplier by showing a commitment to them for parts. Considering this group is a larger group then the VXR forum i would have thought it would have made sense to try to get a deal with Walkinshaw set up rather then bagging them out.

I dont dissagree that you can get things cheaper overseas. But what im saying is its quite unfair for people here to call them a rip off because they can do it cheaper. As stated for about the 5th time now. There is a tuner / supplier here who is looking to support our cars. And quite unfairly they being labelled as " ripp offs" by people of this forum. I have met people from the HSV club in NSW who have had work done by WP and they have nothing but good reports about there work products and increases they have gained from the WP products.

R3N
23rd April 2008, 03:26 AM
Have you got an idea ?????

Have you ever priced the insurance freight and Import Duty of larger items for these cars to be brought into the country ???
I doubt you have. Were not talking piss ant Opel Badges or Astra G grilles. Walkinshaw are bringing in items that are costly items to start with. (Except the grille) The taxes Import duties Freight Handling fees and customs declorations storage plus profit margins are all factored into the cost of the Items. My point is stop whinging about the prices before you know all the facts. For all you know Walkinshaw could be getting next to no discount on these items because they arent purchasing in bulk . It could be a case of " catch 22" for alls you know . Until narrow minded people like your self actually think about things please dont comment. You all see it as they are stinging people. Jumping on a forum and Slagging there prices off isnt going to do anyone from this forum any favors.

As a member of the HSV club in NSW i have seen what good working relationships with supplyers and sponsors can do. Also being a member of www.vxronline.co.uk (http://www.vxronline.co.uk) is one of the best examples of a forum who support the tuners and return the Tuners support the members . I highly doubt Walkinshaw would be even slightly interested in helping the members here considering the slegging they have copped from many members.So rather then shooting of that they are a " rip off " how about getting behind them and supporting them. Because they are the only people in this country at this stage who are even remotely interested in helping out Australian owner of the SRi T and VXR with aftermarket products.Sure some of us may pay a premuim Price now but later when we need / want more as we will be repeat customers im sure that they will look after us somewhat more. Its about building relationships with Suppliers. Not bagging them out. Not one of you have given them a chance really since my intial post over a yeah and a half ago of there move into the Astra preformance items. Its sad to see that so many norrow minded people exist on this forum.

Ohh BTW R3N . This thread( http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=306594#post306594)kindly proves you are a tight ass.. I stand by my comment of " Some people" are tight asses about these things.

Wow... just wow... where do I even begin? So obviously YOU know how much of a profit margin Walkinshaw are making on the astra bits. Care to share that information then? Stop whinging about the price of the items before I know all the facts? Hmm... doesn't that work both ways? You're defending their prices but for all YOU know, they might be making a hefty profit on the products. None of us know for sure so quit acting like a know-it-all.

Oh and by the way, its not whinging. Whinging is when u complain about a price because its expensive. Complaining about a suitably priced item is whinging. What we're doing is saying that its overpriced and letting people know there are other options for purchasing said item, so its more like an observation. You seem to get the meanings of words confused alot. May I point you in the direction of a dictionary? Quite simple really, given that you have 2 shops, shop A and shop B. Shop A is local, whereas Shop B is overseas. Both shops are selling the same product, Good X. If I can buy Good X from Shop B, including freight charges, shipping insurance and import duties for price much lower than what Shop A is selling, why would I buy from Shop A? I couldn't give a rat's arse what it costs them to bring it in, at the end of the day what I pay is what I'm concerned with.

Oh and I know lots of people who bring in larger items than "Opel Badges or Astra G grilles" not only for Opels but for many other makes such as coilovers, carbon bonnets, bodykits, super/turbocharger kits, wheels etc etc even though the exact same item is being sold locally, because simply it makes more sense to pay less. Once again, it is not being tight, it is being smart. If you want to pay $900 for something you can buy for $400, well that's just plain stupid.

Basically if you can't sell a product that an informed buyer can source from somewhere else for cheaper, then you're bound to lose sales on that product no matter if you're intentionally trying to rip people off or not. Basics of business.

You want to make an example of the HSV club in NSW and the UK VXR club? Really? How can you seriously compare Opels in AU to all of that? How many SRiTs or VXRs have been sold in the whole if Aus in relation to how many VXRs and Vauxhalls sold in the UK and how many HSVs sold in NSW. Of course where demand exists, there will be a supply. And where competition exists, its in the tuners' best interest to reasonable price their products and provide support to clubs who would actually spend money on their products. Oh and I seriously doubt Thorney or Courtenay Sport are selling overpriced products anyway. And also Thorny and CSport actually provide TUNING services for Astra owners, where support is really needed, whereas Walkinshaw was only selling off the shelf items.

You want members to support them? How about them showing there's something worth supporting? Its up to them to make the first step not us, and if they can't take any constructive criticism in relation to the prices, then they really shouldn't be in business at all because we all (well most of us, I'd exclude you though) know that demand drives sales and price is one of the determining factors of demand. But then again they're not offering anything unique that most people know where else to get them from. If you need them to bring in grilles, or springs, or induction kits for you then I guess you should be paying them the premium.

And I thought I'd repeat myself since much of your selective reading has left you without a clue about what people are talking about. I did say that "I don't remember anyone saying they were a rip off for the brake kit". Which meant I was referring to other items they had on offer, eg. front grille, springs, induction kit.

Oh and in relation to that thread, I said it was the principle of the matter not the $2.80 if you did read it correctly (you can read, can't you?). To some people, principle is priceless. I would have rather donated the $2.80 to charity then to let some dealer charge me for something they did not do. But it is kind of you to bring to the attention how much of a tight-arse I am. Oh wait... no, all that did was show everyone how sad a person you really are.

So before having a go at someone, I'd suggest you ask yourself whether you have an idea.

R3N
23rd April 2008, 03:36 AM
I have met people from the HSV club in NSW who have had work done by WP and they have nothing but good reports about there work products and increases they have gained from the WP products.

The number of HSVs in NSW alone would be more than the number of VXRs and SRiTs in Aus. I don't doubt that they're a good tuner, but the fact that there is a market for their products (Commodore/HSV wise) is the reason why they're providing 'support' to that market because it makes business sense to. But I do doubt that they charge anywhere near the amount for the Astra 'mods', due to them having local competition. You're comparing apples and oranges. Do you honestly see them bringing out a supercharger kit for the SRi?

Snotty
23rd April 2008, 07:27 AM
somebody post the special olympics pic where nobody ever wins

Zzzzzzz

bornwild
23rd April 2008, 10:31 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Ren and Ange.

So, shaun, why don't you get the $900 grill and show some support for Walkinshaw. :)

Shaun
23rd April 2008, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Ren and Ange.

So, shaun, why don't you get the $900 grill and show some support for Walkinshaw. :)

I dont want the grille. How ever when it comes time to purchase the AP Brake kit for My VXR i will be showing my support to Walkinshaw. I have already spoken to them them being fitted.

Difference is will purchase it . Not sit back and complain about the price.

Shaun
23rd April 2008, 11:23 AM
You want to make an example of the HSV club in NSW and the UK VXR club? Really? How can you seriously compare Opels in AU to all of that? How many SRiTs or VXRs have been sold in the whole if Aus in relation to how many VXRs and Vauxhalls sold in the UK and how many HSVs sold in NSW. Of course where demand exists, there will be a supply. And where competition exists, its in the tuners' best interest to reasonable price their products and provide support to clubs who would actually spend money on their products. Oh and I seriously doubt Thorney or Courtenay Sport are selling overpriced products anyway. And also Thorny and CSport actually provide TUNING services for Astra owners, where support is really needed, whereas Walkinshaw was only selling off the shelf items.

You want members to support them? How about them showing there's something worth supporting? Its up to them to make the first step not us, and if they can't take any constructive criticism in relation to the prices, then they really shouldn't be in business at all because we all (well most of us, I'd exclude you though) know that demand drives sales and price is one of the determining factors of demand. But then again they're not offering anything unique that most people know where else to get them from. If you need them to bring in grilles, or springs, or induction kits for you then I guess you should be paying them the premium.

And I thought I'd repeat myself since much of your selective reading has left you without a clue about what people are talking about. I did say that "I don't remember anyone saying they were a rip off for the brake kit". Which meant I was referring to other items they had on offer, eg. front grille, springs, induction kit.

Oh and in relation to that thread, I said it was the principle of the matter not the $2.80 if you did read it correctly (you can read, can't you?). To some people, principle is priceless. I would have rather donated the $2.80 to charity then to let some dealer charge me for something they did not do. But it is kind of you to bring to the attention how much of a tight-arse I am. Oh wait... no, all that did was show everyone how sad a person you really are.

So before having a go at someone, I'd suggest you ask yourself whether you have an idea.

Your upset because it prove your a tight ass............. thats all... HEHEHE Hook line and sinker!!!

As from my reference to the UK forum and the HSV Club. Granted there maybe more units sold overseas and more V8 Powered cars here. But take for example. The Monaro and VXR8. for the year of 2007 HSV Exported to Vauxhall around the 300 unit mark last year. This is a Small amount of units . But considering there are only that amount of units there are at least 2 tuners in the UK offering the products for the vehicles. (One being Walkinshaw the other being Wortec) So unit numbers in the country mean jack shit.

You want Walkinshaw to support members. Maybe they would if the group approches the as whole with a little more open minded attuide them with some common sense and not complain about there pricing im sure they would come to the part but the support has to be there from the group as a hole.

As for walkinshaw Margins and over head both you and i have no idea what they are. The point i was making which you have completely missed is dont judge until you know the facts of why the so expensive. Walkinshaw is premuim supplyer. Walkinshaw Perfomance build the cars for HRT and HSVDT. Meaning they arent fools when it comes to preformance. (Just like Courts and TMS and the VXRPC Wortec in the UK)

As it was stated in this thread they have far amount of stock thats not moving. But no one here has even thought of getting together doing a group buy and seeing what sort of deal they may do. They maybe interested as they will see it as new interest which could help them as there products will be on the road and people will give a opinon of which will be fact rather then based on price .

As to opelaus being compared to other groups or clubs. it cant . because the narrow minded attuide and members arent willing to support anything.

GreyRex
23rd April 2008, 11:39 AM
Your upset because it prove your a tight ass............. thats all... HEHEHE Hook line and sinker!!!

As from my reference to the UK forum and the HSV Club. Granted there maybe more units sold overseas and more V8 Powered cars here. But take for example. The Monaro and VXR8. for the year of 2007 HSV Exported to Vauxhall around the 300 unit mark last year. This is a Small amount of units . But considering there are only that amount of units there are at least 2 tuners in the UK offering the products for the vehicles. (One being Walkinshaw the other being Wortec) So unit numbers in the country mean jack shit.

You want Walkinshaw to support members. Maybe they would if the group approches the as whole with a little more open minded attuide them with some common sense and not complain about there pricing im sure they would come to the part but the support has to be there from the group as a hole.

As for walkinshaw Margins and over head both you and i have no idea what they are. The point i was making which you have completely missed is dont judge until you know the facts of why the so expensive. Walkinshaw is premuim supplyer. Walkinshaw Perfomance build the cars for HRT and HSVDT. Meaning they arent fools when it comes to preformance. (Just like Courts and TMS and the VXRPC Wortec in the UK)

As it was stated in this thread they have far amount of stock thats not moving. But no one here has even thought of getting together doing a group buy and seeing what sort of deal they may do. They maybe interested as they will see it as new interest which could help them as there products will be on the road and people will give a opinon of which will be fact rather then based on price .

As to opelaus being compared to other groups or clubs. it cant . because the narrow minded attuide and members arent willing to support anything.

Lol your comments are so tiring. If all other car clubs/people/forums/support are better, go stick with them mate

R3N
23rd April 2008, 11:57 AM

You're welcome to leave and seek attention elsewhere

Shaun
23rd April 2008, 12:04 PM
You're welcome to leave and seek attention elsewhere
I dont even see why your complaining about there prices. you drive a TS . They dont have anything to even suit your car.

SSS_Hoon
23rd April 2008, 01:35 PM
Were not all as cashed up as some i guess....:D :p

I know for me i too look for the cheapest price on most things i buy especially when we are talking big dollar items. It pays off in the end when you save a shit load of cash on something that is the same thing.

I get it that there is certain types of ppl out there that have to have something as soon as it comes out no matter how much it cost they want it then and there without even tring to find a better price, they like being taken for a ride, like when the VXR came out(or any new car/item for that matter) im sure there were ppl that went out and bought one straight away not caring how much it was or even if they could afford it they just wanted it. Hence the HSV I Just Want One i bet its the same with all the HSV range, and well actually its the same for everything, that is why you see so many for sale a few months after the realease for cheap and bringing down the resale price on them as they couldnt afford them in the first place and ahve to sell them and count theier loss.

Partly the stealership for selling it to them in the first place i guess.

Oh wait im on drugs for my wisdom tooth that i got hacked out last night and have no idea what the hell im on about so just ignore this post, as i bet it dont even make one bit of sense does it.(i too lazy to re read it all LoL):confused:

SSS_Hoon

sportscoupehsv
23rd April 2008, 02:29 PM
Alll that needs to be said is that some people can afford walinshaw stuff and some cant . No harm in shopping around at all and if you can get something cheaper , buy it . Some people come to me comparing cars and think they can get something cheaper , i tell them if they are happy buying something for cheaper do it .
My main point at the start was that Walkinshaw have stock on their shelves and want it out the door because there has been no support from anyone at all and whether the advertising has been big or small , the fact is most people did read in motor magazine that they had the Astra turbo in development . Why hasnt someone gone down there and asked if they need a development car ( that being your car ) and maybe work out a deal that has them fit parts to your car and you give them feed back and you pay them a discount of the price to have them fitted to your car . How else are they going to be able to r and d their products . No harm in asking really is there .
That way they will show more interest and may even think about getting other parts from overseas which in turn makes it easier to get beacuse its here and have them do the work on your car . I know that a subaru forester club here in oz gets discounts from subaru in melbourne docklands dealership and they have support in service and they get discounted parts all because they have shown the dealership they there is interest and people out there that want the help . Also subaru had a special forester XT brand new that had extras on it like a chip and remap lower suspension , differant rims and an exhaust all done by subaru in melbourne and they walked out the door because the dealership knew there was a market and knew that is what people wanted .

Start up a list of names of people and their cars and what they would like as far as mods goes and i will think about going down and talking to Walkinshaw and seeing if there is something we can sort out . But i will not di it if unless people are serious . I dont really want to look like a dick and have people burn me when i am willing to put in the effort .

Will cont later as i have customers

sportscoupehsv
23rd April 2008, 02:31 PM
Some people are sheep and follow and some people are leaders and lead the pack. Which are you ? Think carefully before answering . Leaders make things happen and i know there are some leaders on here lets see who they are

oneightoo
23rd April 2008, 02:47 PM
im my own leader.. i'll buy what i want from who i want.. at a price that im happy with..

**** the sheep, they're only good for jumpers and australia day bbq's (not gonna make any NZ jokes ;))

if i decide i wanna buy a more expensive (exactly the same product) from someone, then i obviously have my own reasons for doing it.. if i want to buy the same product from someone else who sells for half price, then again, i have my own reasons for doing it..

i have no loyalty to any LARGE company, but i do have a loyalty to my own bank balance and finances..

it's all our own choices and what works best for us, the consumer.. if walkinshaw really wanted the support then they know how to get it.. simple.. walk around the city at lunch time, look at all the shops selling the medium sized mongolian lamb.. all roughly the same price, see the point?

anyway, i dont own a car right now, so i'm off to www.carpoint.com.au to find something to waste my money on..

adios amigo's!

Wraith
23rd April 2008, 03:33 PM
im my own leader.. i'll buy what i want from who i want.. at a price that im happy with..

**** the sheep, they're only good for jumpers and australia day bbq's (not gonna make any NZ jokes ;))

if i decide i wanna buy a more expensive (exactly the same product) from someone, then i obviously have my own reasons for doing it.. if i want to buy the same product from someone else who sells for half price, then again, i have my own reasons for doing it..

i have no loyalty to any LARGE company, but i do have a loyalty to my own bank balance and finances..

it's all our own choices and what works best for us, the consumer.. if walkinshaw really wanted the support then they know how to get it.. simple.. walk around the city at lunch time, look at all the shops selling the medium sized mongolian lamb.. all roughly the same price, see the point?

anyway, i dont own a car right now, so i'm off to www.carpoint.com.au to find something to waste my money on..

adios amigo's!

+1

Well said could not agree more with all of the above... :clap:

sportscoupehsv, here's my advice to you, from being involved with this sort of thing for alot longer than most - decide on what item/s you want, research that item for pricing and availability and then if you decide to get it, then just get it all on your own !!! if someone else then asks for help or advice from you, by all means help em out - that's what I do...

Don't rely on other people or groups or business etc. unless it's a person or business you find will help you without having to resort to this sort of mucking about...

sportscoupehsv
23rd April 2008, 04:01 PM
No need to worry not that anyone was anyway , point is i know that stock sitting on shelves isnt good when it isnt moving . Just wanted to help some people out and maybe get some things cheaper . But seeing no one is interested dont worry about it . End of Story . I wont bother in future then . Get on GTRYDAZ.COM and take some advise from them and you will see what i mean by working together .

oneightoo
23rd April 2008, 04:34 PM
if you want to organise a group buy and try and get things done cheaper, then put out an EOI and find out who wants what, then take those numbers to walkinshaw and see what they say..

dont **** around and waste time listening to people here argue over whats a good price and whats not..

as i said in my post, if someone wants it they will buy, and who gives a rats ass what anyone else thinks about what you paid for it..

/end story

bornwild
23rd April 2008, 05:32 PM
Shaun mate, your personal attacks don't add any credibility. Mate, you're almost 30yrs old and you write shit like this.

Come on...:)

@sportscoupehsv:
If your main aim was to start a group buy for items from walkinshaw then you went about it completely wrong. You should have stated what was being sold and how. If your aim, however, was to be more informed about walkinshaw...well then, there you have it. They are a company that buys stuff and sells them with a very high margin. Like any other company.

My personal opinion, try source it out directly from the manufacturer or somewhere really cheap. In the end you get the same product, the amount of money you spend on it doesn't determine its quality. A mate of mine bought a brake kit from Brembo for $2800 and installed it himself. Saved him $1200. So there you have it.

Also, oneightoo is completely right. Buy what you want.

Shaun
23rd April 2008, 07:25 PM
Alll that needs to be said is that some people can afford walinshaw stuff and some cant . No harm in shopping around at all and if you can get something cheaper , buy it . Some people come to me comparing cars and think they can get something cheaper , i tell them if they are happy buying something for cheaper do it .
My main point at the start was that Walkinshaw have stock on their shelves and want it out the door because there has been no support from anyone at all and whether the advertising has been big or small , the fact is most people did read in motor magazine that they had the Astra turbo in development . Why hasnt someone gone down there and asked if they need a development car ( that being your car ) and maybe work out a deal that has them fit parts to your car and you give them feed back and you pay them a discount of the price to have them fitted to your car . How else are they going to be able to r and d their products . No harm in asking really is there .
That way they will show more interest and may even think about getting other parts from overseas which in turn makes it easier to get beacuse its here and have them do the work on your car . I know that a subaru forester club here in oz gets discounts from subaru in melbourne docklands dealership and they have support in service and they get discounted parts all because they have shown the dealership they there is interest and people out there that want the help . Also subaru had a special forester XT brand new that had extras on it like a chip and remap lower suspension , differant rims and an exhaust all done by subaru in melbourne and they walked out the door because the dealership knew there was a market and knew that is what people wanted .

Start up a list of names of people and their cars and what they would like as far as mods goes and i will think about going down and talking to Walkinshaw and seeing if there is something we can sort out . But i will not di it if unless people are serious . I dont really want to look like a dick and have people burn me when i am willing to put in the effort .

Will cont later as i have customers

Totally Agree with you on the R&D sides of things. As i mentioned earlier in my post thats what happens in the UK and some Car clubs here. The 4 major tuners in the UK had many people approch them and offered the cars to the tuners for development of Maps suspension set up and intercooler set ups among other things. As a result some tuners acutally gave some people items at cost or FOC until they got the package right(Supsension set ups etc) . What this has done is increased the interest to the public and as a direct resuilt built a very postive brand image for Vauxhall and Image and name for many tuners.

But again ill be shot down for talking common sense as i have been about supporting a tuner / importer and they will in return support the group. If i lived in Melbourne i would gladly hand my car over to Walkinshaw to use for R&D . Who better could come up with preformance parts then a company contacted to build two leading Holden V8 Supercars. At least i know there Engineering department isnt designed by some home made pod intake hose from bunnings.

As for people burning you ..Its Narrow minded.. This topic was touched on by anothe dealers member of staff at the NSW photo shoot. The stigma is Dealers and anyone linked back to Holden (WP) is out to rip everyone off. While ever this narrow minded stigma exist on this forum it will never grow into its full protental.

I support what your doing sportscoupehsv thats for sure. As i do with one of the dealers in sydney (who im helping out with in sourcing Milltek Exhaust and Bluefin) with the level of commitment to the product and actually pointing out that there is a repuabitale tuner in the country who is willing to have a go at the product .

As for saving a dollar thats for sure. I dont dissagree with that.But as stated above in the quote and from what i have said before it can happen if we get behind the supplier thats importing the gear.
Basically Walkinshaw has set up what will become a common thing for Holden and Ford. this is the 1st stage of it though. In 5 years time i will garrentee Walkinshaw are selling an aftermarket option through Holden dealers that will be covered under the factory warranty. Its a untapped market for the OEM and they have the best selling point of all. Covered by factory warranty if it and when it goses this way. Vauxhall have already started doing it with Both Milltek and Remus systems fited to any European VXR product and for the VXR8 when products are fitted by Walkinshaw are then covered under factory warranty when fitted prior to delivery.

aza28
23rd April 2008, 08:15 PM
last time i checked, they were giving away the 4 pot 343mm brake kit for $3700.00 - about 20% discount from RRP. They aren't much cheaper in UK. Plus you've got to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get it here (i was quoted between AUS$600-800.00) and import tax.

If i was in the market for a serious brake upgrade, i know who i'd be calling.

bornwild
23rd April 2008, 08:19 PM
Shaun, are you seriously saying that the dealers and all that are not out there to rip you off??

I think you've blurred the lines of reality and belief mate.

poita
23rd April 2008, 10:11 PM
i think anything worth while was long lost in this thread

wheres the little dancing padlock when i need it

Archie
24th April 2008, 08:00 AM
No need to worry not that anyone was anyway , point is i know that stock sitting on shelves isnt good when it isnt moving . Just wanted to help some people out and maybe get some things cheaper . But seeing no one is interested dont worry about it . End of Story . I wont bother in future then . Get on GTRYDAZ.COM and take some advise from them and you will see what i mean by working together .

Ive tried this before, Last year I talked to Kevin about mods and he asked for a wishlist with the help from the guys here and at HSVVXR I put together a wish list. He passed it straight to Walkinshaw then everyone knew it would be unaffordable. Until we as dealers move into this century like the UK dealers have done (Thorney Motorsport Franchises in dealerships etc) we won't see affordable mods for the imports.

Don't give up though just because a couple of disenchanted people give you some stick we need as much support as possible. I will PM you shortly with what Shaun and I have been trying to setup. And I can't see it happening in NSW with VIC doing it first. Sorry forgot good ol QLD (same boat as NSW)