PDA

View Full Version : Gps

USC
16th April 2008, 11:04 PM
do you guys have gps navigation in ur cars? if so, which one would you recommend?

navman, mio, garwin, tomtom...??

poita
16th April 2008, 11:07 PM
its garmin :p

have least probs with tomtom and mio.
latest series of navman have been shit.
check out mio, amanda just got one and loves it

MatsHolden
16th April 2008, 11:11 PM
Havn't had a problem with my navman. Very neat little unit.

poita
16th April 2008, 11:15 PM
you must be one of the lucky ones mat.
they have had many probs with there chargers and docks.
try not to sell them if i dont have to

USC
16th April 2008, 11:43 PM
which model is the best? MIO 520 or something? i heard the battery does not last that long on them though.

navman s80 is selling for $462 at jb hi fi.
which tomtom model is actually worth buying?

Shaun
17th April 2008, 01:40 AM
Garmin ... they have been doing GPS for along time.

Slimcraigie
17th April 2008, 03:56 AM
I love my TomTom :D

Dee
17th April 2008, 07:00 AM
which model is the best? MIO 520 or something? i heard the battery does not last that long on them though.

navman s80 is selling for $462 at jb hi fi.
which tomtom model is actually worth buying?

that's not bad, my s50 was $420 just before xmas

blueraven
17th April 2008, 07:32 AM
i got a binotone 4.5 inch screen for 290 new from big w, works fine :)

Calibrated
17th April 2008, 07:34 AM
Got a Garmin Nuvi 310. its been great.

parents have TomTom One's.. no issues, and some nice features.

chrissn89
17th April 2008, 07:57 AM
Ive got a TomTom good features and very happy with it :)

btm
17th April 2008, 10:04 AM
i have a roadangel, does the job for me

rjastra
17th April 2008, 11:39 AM
THere are some cheap ones about at K Mart etc.

Have to weigh up how much you want to pay for something you probably don't need all too often.

I heard the stats that car drivers that use GPS systems are 4 times more likely to have an accident than drivers using mobile phones... Go figure :)

Also heard that thieves will break into a car if they see the suction cap marks on the windscreen even if they can't see a GPS unit in the car.

InsaneAsylum
17th April 2008, 11:49 AM
I'M SO OLDSKOOL! :)

http://www.ausway.com.au/Portals/0/Product%20Images/Melbourne/Melway-LP35-Cover-Image.jpg

USC
17th April 2008, 11:59 AM
THere are some cheap ones about at K Mart etc.

Have to weigh up how much you want to pay for something you probably don't need all too often.

I heard the stats that car drivers that use GPS systems are 4 times more likely to have an accident than drivers using mobile phones... Go figure :)

Also heard that thieves will break into a car if they see the suction cap marks on the windscreen even if they can't see a GPS unit in the car.

hm..this is putting me off a bit!! i might remove th suction cap as well:p
Im gona check out the navman s80 and tomtom 720.

USC
17th April 2008, 11:59 AM

http://www.ausway.com.au/Portals/0/Product%20Images/Melbourne/Melway-LP35-Cover-Image.jpg

lol!!:D

Wraith
17th April 2008, 12:39 PM
Havn't had a problem with my navman. Very neat little unit.

+1

Although mine was one of the 1st models released :)

I have heard of numerous returns though of Navmans as Poita's mentioned, so maybe just luck of the draw...

I still usually use the Melways too, hard to lose some old school habits :)

Vectracious
17th April 2008, 02:20 PM

Large print edition Adrian? - going blind are we - you know how to stop that don't you.... :p :D

95' GSI
17th April 2008, 02:27 PM
I've got a navman and its great, no problems with it.
Someone said something about the battery dying fast, doesn't happen if you flick off the power once you have turned it off and poita said something abouts chargers and docks, also no prob with mine.
Problems will occur with any model, its simply luck of the draw.
But check out Navman and in the end choose whichever one you like the most.
Good luck and have fun GPS Shopping lol.

USC
17th April 2008, 05:07 PM
cool! thanks mate...just wondering if anyone has used the tomtom one V3? is it any good? the GO720 I heard is not so great...eg, text to speech is not enabled from factory and its a bitch to do so..lol

95' GSI
17th April 2008, 05:11 PM
cool! thanks mate...just wondering if anyone has used the tomtom one V3? is it any good? the GO720 I heard is not so great...eg, text to speech is not enabled from factory and its a bitch to do so..lol

A friend has V3 one Im pretty sure, and says its good but sometimes it has trouble reading his location and simply connecting but that could just be his.

Also consider prices of maps for updating, since for some brands can be expensive. Got mine free from navman.

poita
17th April 2008, 06:10 PM
the tomtom v3 aint too bad
little bit slow at times, but overall a good unit.

pick of the bunch at the moment
basic - its a map on a screen MIO C220
more advanced features - MIO C520

cant go wrong ;)
maps upgrades vary a lot, anywhere from $99-$249.
but think about it, how often do u upgrade ur refidex or melways.
most ppl do it every 3 or 4 yrs.
so over 4 yrs, without an upgrade aint bad really.
then most ppl just buy a new one then anyway.
just some things to consider ;)

USC
17th April 2008, 07:37 PM
nice!! I saw a MIO C720 for $510 at JB Hi Fi (quoted price..not displayed;) ). what do u guys think of this unit?

poita
17th April 2008, 07:39 PM
buy it lol

InsaneAsylum
17th April 2008, 08:42 PM
Large print edition Adrian? - going blind are we - you know how to stop that don't you.... :p :D

hahaha well actually, i need to come and visit you, but before i come in, make sure you have plenty of "just for men" on your shelf

i'm not only going blind, i'm going grey

it's all part of the vectra experience! :D

rjastra
18th April 2008, 09:41 AM
One question... what sort of phone/pda have you got? Can it handle GPS?

My Nokia 6120 can do Nokia Maps with the addition of a $60 external bluetooth GPS transceiver (size if a matchbox). The maps are downloaded as required for a yearly subscription fee.

Screen isn't that big but you really should be relying on turn by turn voice instructions anyway. Also good when you need it when walking around cities as it works in alot of overseas countries.

Calibrated
18th April 2008, 09:49 AM
i have a roadangel, does the job for me
bastard.

btm
18th April 2008, 10:13 AM
bastard.

why?

goof
18th April 2008, 10:40 AM
TomTom software loaded on to my mobile with a $30 bluetooth GPS works well for me. Small screen, but I don't look at it while driving, I prefer the voice directions. $0.02

Tfer
18th April 2008, 10:41 AM
+1

Although mine was one of the 1st models released :)

+ 1 :)

dustbug
18th April 2008, 10:52 AM
just bought a navman S50 last night for $320 at jb hifi. got an additional 3 years warranty and paid $360 all up

poita
18th April 2008, 10:57 AM
GPS on phones are very draining on a phone battery.
and goof, tomtom software aint cheap if you buy it legit.
so the cost fo that and the bluetooth receiver, may as well buy the actual GPS.
i've found GPS on phones to be a little slow.
im about to set up mine, bluetooth GPS receiver with my PDA and tomtom maps.
the PDA i have for work, so its always being used anyway. the gps receiver i got from a work conference. so jsut ahve to buy the software.
my pda came with a car mount and charger :D

but considering that, im still thinkin bout buyin a standalone unit.
its jsut easier ;)

USC
18th April 2008, 11:23 AM
I m serious considering the MIO C520...need feedback...:D

I also like the navman S80..but its a bulkier unit.

mrbenno
18th April 2008, 11:56 AM
I have a Nokia N Series mobile with TomTom running. An extrernal bluetooth GPS receiver is only $50ish and it makes a great cheap alternative.

To run TomTom on a mobile it must have Symbian OS or Windows Mobile for an operating system.

dustbug
18th April 2008, 01:08 PM
does anyone know where to get free unlock codes for overseas maps from???

is this available or not?

USC
18th April 2008, 01:10 PM
I just bought the MIO C520!! Im so excited..cant wait to give it a try afterwork:D.

I thought some overseas map were already preloaded (like us, europe). hmm..anyone knows?

mrbenno
18th April 2008, 01:12 PM

If I were to look for such things then usenet newsgroups would be where i started. But nobody on here would do that would then ;)

dustbug
18th April 2008, 02:16 PM
If I were to look for such things then usenet newsgroups would be where i started. But nobody on here would do that would then ;)

deffinitly not!!! i was actually enquiring for a mates mate! hahaha

i'll give it a go! thanks

Calibrated
18th April 2008, 02:26 PM
why?
RoadAngel is one of the kings of GPS

poita
18th April 2008, 08:04 PM

not legally ;)

I just bought the MIO C520!! Im so excited..cant wait to give it a try afterwork:D.

I thought some overseas map were already preloaded (like us, europe). hmm..anyone knows?

congrats man, they are a great unit. :)
and no they only come iwth aussie maps.
you have to buy the other country maps.

RoadAngel is one of the kings of GPS

really, we sold road angel at on stage.
they werent that great

Calibrated
18th April 2008, 08:16 PM
really, we sold road angel at on stage.
they werent that great

well.. used to be anyway...

Clint
18th April 2008, 08:25 PM
my GPS is a 8" touchscreen :), works much better than any available gps unit :p

USC
19th April 2008, 10:11 AM
my GPS is a 8" touchscreen :), works much better than any available gps unit :p

8"!!! thats massive!!

Poita: Im loving the MIO mate!! Have you hacked yours to play video files yet? I found one on the internet that also allows the device to run MS Office etc...but Im a bit relectant to install it now as it would void the warranty:p Do you know any way of playing video files without unlocking the Windows CE OS?

Noir
19th April 2008, 10:25 AM
Good choice with the MIO. I find my little one to be brilliant.

(bought in preparation for those spaghetti Brisbane roads ;))

poita
19th April 2008, 05:36 PM
USC i dont own one mate, i jsut borrow em from work wen i need them ;)

i dont use it enough to buy one.
if i did if would defin be a mio though

sooty
16th December 2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah i know, digging up an old thread but it's better than posting a new one on the same topic. Basically parents are giving me money towards one for christmas so i'm looking for opinions :)

There is a certain appeal to the Tomtom One XL as it is a perfect size to replace my MFD in the fascia (http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53328), but then i wouldn't know where to put the MFD, so i'm open to opinions. please help as i've got no idea :D

Peety117
16th December 2008, 07:43 PM
Having the XL One in the fascia would reduce the satellite signal strength, though it does look pretty neat. Is there a way to connect an removable antenna or something?

Clint
17th December 2008, 09:27 PM
i wouldnt worry about satellite strength, that does depend on the receiver tho.. but the receiver i have, i have it under the dash behind the glove box, was previously under the passenger seat on the floor, and i pick up every satellite in the sky. its not losing any satellites by being under the dash or seat. the strange thing is it even works in our building at work on the bottom floor, which has a second floor above with thick concrete floor..

Mainframe_Module
18th December 2008, 12:21 PM
i have the old tom tom one and i just got my bf the new version of it for christmas this year.
and theyve added the spoken street names and speed and traffic cameras and shit to this new one....for the price theyre pretty good.

i do like the look of the garmins though....well the higher up ones, not the first few models.

glider
19th December 2008, 05:17 AM
i wouldnt worry about satellite strength, that does depend on the receiver tho.. but the receiver i have, i have it under the dash behind the glove box, was previously under the passenger seat on the floor, and i pick up every satellite in the sky. its not losing any satellites by being under the dash or seat. the strange thing is it even works in our building at work on the bottom floor, which has a second floor above with thick concrete floor..

my current gps receiver can cold boot while still in the garage with the door closed so i'd believe that

tuzinski
19th December 2008, 07:09 AM
my tomtom 930 picks up signal im the basement

poita
19th December 2008, 12:09 PM
i finally purchased myself a GPS unit, went with a mio moov360
great unit, does everything i need it to do.
4.3" screen, bluetooth, tts, simple layout.
imo a better choice then a tomtom

sooty
22nd December 2008, 03:05 PM
So i'm looking at the Garmin nüvi® 265W
I can get it for like $350....anyone had any problems with them? :)

MK
22nd December 2008, 04:25 PM
also, make sure you check out the level of service support you get from your GPS company...dont get me started on TomTom customer service...almost non existent :(

poita
22nd December 2008, 10:09 PM
ain the mio is better, but im biased :p

and mk, its no better for dealers either

nicecar
15th January 2009, 12:08 PM
I have a pda mobile phone, got tomtom on it - great you dont need a separate gps unit. You can then use your gps for other things, logging speed, altitude, running and see your route on google earth - so cool.

If your pda phone doesnt have gps build in, you can get a bluetooth gps half the size of a box of matches for $50-80 on ebay.

Taffy
15th January 2009, 07:08 PM
I use Navman...less than a year old and already it's not charging properly. I have to get my girlfriend to hold it constantly putting pressure on the charge lead otherwise it turns off every 10 seconds and resets.

If I'm alone then It just doesn't work. Also lots of other annoyances about it (to plug the lead in you have to take it off the holder which is real fiddly, takes ages to find location etc).

poita
15th January 2009, 07:13 PM
heard those stories before taffy :(

Nurb608
15th January 2009, 07:17 PM
I've had my Navman for ages now. Was a bit of an issue at first with the satelites but the upgrade fixed that now no issues. Taffy, the charge lead has a slot in the holder so each time you put the Navman in it lines straight up, well on the S90i anyway, I would imagine it would be the same on all the S series.

Taffy
15th January 2009, 08:06 PM
I've had my Navman for ages now. Was a bit of an issue at first with the satelites but the upgrade fixed that now no issues. Taffy, the charge lead has a slot in the holder so each time you put the Navman in it lines straight up, well on the S90i anyway, I would imagine it would be the same on all the S series.

It used to work perfect but the connectors are dodgy now and I lost the receipt :-( My issue happens with or without the holder.

Originaldoc
15th January 2009, 11:50 PM
I have a VDO DAYTON its about 2.5 years old now but still works ok. Cost $999.99 lol now worth about $300 if im lucky dam being the first one to buy new technology :eek: