PDA

View Full Version : Got One!!!

Ajay
14th April 2008, 09:40 PM
hey guys..

after a long wait i finally got my hands on an SRI Turbo! :dance::dance::dance:

Will post some pics over the next couple of days once i collect it, drool all over it and then polish it...

Cant believe how well these things handle, a little bit of torque steer but i will adapt..

now this will sound really lame... im planning on putting a "Pod Filter" and "Show off valve" :p on the car pretty much straight away!.. has anyone fitted a blow off valve on the factory piping??? if so can you PLEASE post a pic of where you have done so.. and what brand you are using! id love some ideas

thanks for your help in advance.. and i look forward to being an active Opel Aus forum member and Opalising my car!!:)

Cheers
Ajay

sooty
14th April 2008, 09:43 PM
Congratulations!
Is your car a G or H??
Be careful with the pod you don't get heatsoak,
As for BOV, they've been fitted on both G and H so you won't have a problem ;)

Ajay
14th April 2008, 10:00 PM
oh sorry should have said!.. its an 03 model.. do these still have a factory BOV?

sooty
14th April 2008, 10:17 PM
Being a G there are innumerable people who can help you.
I'm sure it won't be long before you get all the help you need.

USC
14th April 2008, 10:55 PM
oh sorry should have said!.. its an 03 model.. do these still have a factory BOV?

Congrats mate!

dont they all have silent factory BOV??

Wraith
15th April 2008, 09:26 AM
Congrats on your new ride, they are a great and fun car... :)

Yes they do (as do all more recent turbocharged cars) have a factory BOV.

They're not silent, but because of emmisions, they are a recirculative type BOV, so therefore the audible part of it is quiet compared to atmospheric BOVs...

However seeing you want to go for a pod, it will make the factory BOV more audible...

btm
15th April 2008, 09:33 AM
congrats on the purchase!

CNBLU
15th April 2008, 09:39 AM
Like Wraith (Ange) said the pod filter will make your standard BOV much more audible, so wont be much need for an aftermarket one. Apexi would be my choice as its a paper filter and dosent need to be oiled.

Congrats on the purchase;)
Gavin

Keep'emRunning
15th April 2008, 09:49 AM
Wonder if it's silver ;)

Ajay
15th April 2008, 10:20 AM
thanks guys!!!

i did a bit of searching through old posts and found there are mixed reviews on Blow off valves..

i think i will just install a pod filter and see how it sounds.. and go from there

now onto another question
the car has the front bar from a convertible (the TALON one)
however the fog lights done seem to come on.. both switches in the dash seem to be blanks.. any thoughts?

Regards
Ajay

Vectra V6
15th April 2008, 10:37 AM
thanks guys!!!

i did a bit of searching through old posts and found there are mixed reviews on Blow off valves..

i think i will just install a pod filter and see how it sounds.. and go from there

however the fog lights done seem to come on.. both switches in the dash seem to be blanks.. any thoughts?

Regards
Ajay

You got a good buy of ebay.... well done

Wraith
15th April 2008, 10:45 AM

Regards
Ajay

That's odd :confused:

The original turbo front bar had foggies as standard, so the switch should be there, unless it's been removed ??

Check it all out again, maybe the foggies in the new front bar havn't been connected up ??

If there's no switch, get one from the wreckers (should be the same as other TS Astras with foggies) and put it in and wire up the foggies...

BTW the Talon front bar 'is NOT' from a convertible...it's an aftermarket item :)

Ajay
15th April 2008, 10:57 AM
well there ya go!.. i thought it was an option!

but yes i do think i got it for the right price.. took a bit of a risk with ebay but i think i made the right choice!..

all in all the body seems quite good.. looking forward to getting it home!

btm
15th April 2008, 01:03 PM
matter of interest... did you check her out before you bought her?

Wraith
15th April 2008, 01:08 PM
matter of interest... did you check her out before you bought her?

I hope so...

A 100% 'MUST DO' on any S/H car purchase in my book !!!

SSS_Hoon
15th April 2008, 01:10 PM
even on a new car its essential.

Was this the one that was in here before with no reserve on EBay?

SSS_Hoon

btm
15th April 2008, 01:47 PM
Was this the one that was in here before with no reserve on EBay?

i believe so, went for $15-16K i believe

glider
15th April 2008, 01:49 PM
pretty good value, considering its about the same as what the 2.2s sell for up here

SSS_Hoon
15th April 2008, 01:50 PM
that is a decent price for the buyer but not so much the seller, i guess they are getting older now though.

Still a nice buy though.

If i was after a 2nd hand turbo car i would most likly look at a G SRiT would have to be Arden Blue though.

SSS_Hoon

glider
15th April 2008, 01:54 PM
arden blue is definitely the best looking color... i always slow down when i drive past where aza's is parked.. so shiny

Keep'emRunning
15th April 2008, 01:56 PM
If i was after a 2nd hand turbo car i would most likly look at a G SRiT would have to be Arden Blue though.
SSS_Hoon

yeah me 2.. been hunting for a low K one for months!

Ajay
15th April 2008, 02:58 PM
yes got it for 16200..

as i said i cant fault it.. but i just WANT IT SO BAD :D

glider
15th April 2008, 03:25 PM
thats exactly $1000 more than i paid for my 2.2 3 months ago... you got a pretty good deal

btm
15th April 2008, 03:50 PM
yep, IMO good deal for sure - assming she's in good condition and been well looked after

Wraith
15th April 2008, 03:58 PM
Arden blue TS turbo hatches do look fantastic - something about that combination really works in my eyes, it's not the same for the AH for me though...

Spewing they didn't do the turbo vert in that colour, Arden blue with black fabric top, mmmmm yummie, we probably wouldn't have got it in Aust. anyways :(

As for Ajay, definitely a top buy - price wise - now to start modding with all the money you saved :)

Ajay
15th April 2008, 07:51 PM
i am also a HUGE fan of the Arden Blue and would love that colour, however it all comes down to whats available and for what price!..

cant mod it too much yet! (as much as i want to go nuts:dance:).. still have to sell my MX5, we just fitted a turbo kit at work on a customers mx5 and before the Pod was on you could barely hear the internal waste gate.. after the pod was on you could really hear it... so i hope the Astra is the same!!!..

Ajay
15th April 2008, 07:53 PM
thats exactly $1000 more than i paid for my 2.2 3 months ago... you got a pretty good deal

however your car has lots already done to it.. the one i bought is basically stock apart from the "aftermarket front bar" :) (not from the convertible model :D) and an exhaust.. which is a very nice sound i must say

glider
16th April 2008, 12:21 AM
mine was 100% stock when i bought it :p

Wraith
16th April 2008, 09:24 AM
i am also a HUGE fan of the Arden Blue and would love that colour, however it all comes down to whats available and for what price!..

cant mod it too much yet! (as much as i want to go nuts:dance:).. still have to sell my MX5, we just fitted a turbo kit at work on a customers mx5 and before the Pod was on you could barely hear the internal waste gate.. after the pod was on you could really hear it... so i hope the Astra is the same!!!..

Why would you want to sell your MX5 ?? keep it for joy riding :)

The TS turbo BOV will be louder/more audible with a pod !!!

Ajay
16th April 2008, 09:54 AM
ive had the MX for 2 years and its a great car.. but its not really practical... i need a car that fits my drums in it.. and as always with money issues. i cant afford to have both..

*and Please see SRI mods Page and let me know if my pod design is ok*

Cheers
Ajay

Wraith
16th April 2008, 12:22 PM
ive had the MX for 2 years and its a great car.. but its not really practical... i need a car that fits my drums in it.. and as always with money issues. i cant afford to have both..

*and Please see SRI mods Page and let me know if my pod design is ok*

Cheers
Ajay

Ah, fair enough, the money thing is something affecting all our decisions....pity

Have checked out your pod proposal already, but personally I havn't commented for 2 reasons...

1. I havn't done one in my TS turbo, I'll leave it for people who actually have done this mod to comment.

2. I wouldn't adopt an 'open pod' set up if I ever do decide on this mod for my car...it would be an 'enclosed' set up with feed from the front as per the standard set up - hot air ingestion is not a good thing, especially for forced inducted engines, regardless of any aural benefits, to me, an engines health and performance are much more important ;)

SSS_Hoon
16th April 2008, 12:28 PM
^^^^

Yep yep

SSS_Hoon

maloo97
13th May 2008, 12:01 PM

Regards
Ajay

Mate with talon they wire it up to a switch that can be turned on or off only when you use high beam. try that mate. your driving lights should work now.