PDA

View Full Version : Damn you Holden, where is our OPC\VXR Corsa!!!

Storm Shadow
14th April 2008, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjL_AyuhJnc

One can only hope we get it as a HSV, like the VXR Astra, fat chance lol!

95' GSI
14th April 2008, 03:35 PM
looks weird but not too bad.
We'd never get it here :(

oneightoo
14th April 2008, 04:22 PM
been discussed a 1000 times..

probably about 10 different threads for it..

unlikely we'll see it..

Shaun
14th April 2008, 07:35 PM
been discussed a 1000 times..

probably about 10 different threads for it..

unlikely we'll see it..

HSV Want to grow there Business. The Corsa could make its way here. Its all about timing . The HSV VXR Astra took 18 months to arrive. Anything is possible.

USC
15th April 2008, 01:18 AM
HSV Want to grow there Business. The Corsa could make its way here. Its all about timing . The HSV VXR Astra took 18 months to arrive. Anything is possible.

The only reason why astra vxr made its way here is because it shares many parts with the Astra.

If corsa VXR were to be sold here, Holden would have to start selling the european corsa first.

oneightoo
15th April 2008, 05:59 AM
The only reason why astra vxr made its way here is because it shares many parts with the Astra.

If corsa VXR were to be sold here, Holden would have to start selling the european corsa first.

maybe, maybe not..

Wraith
15th April 2008, 09:01 AM

From coversation I recently had with a HSV dealer here (From the VXR news thread) they seemed to think it will NEVER come to Aust....

HSV are struggling to sell VXR Astras...(the last intake shipment was only 200 cars and most are sitting idle at dealerships) this does not give them any confidence to bring in another niche model that'll have even less demand than the Astra !!!

We can only wait and see what happens, but people hoping for a VXR Corsa, don't hold your breath :(

Shaun
15th April 2008, 09:24 AM

HSV have already said that Just because Holden dont sell a model that dont mean they cant add it.

As HSV owns Elfin they are talking about importing a Pontiac Roadster that has a 2 ltr turbo with 194kw. HSV is a seperate business to Holden. HSV Managing director also said at the HSV Club of NSW christmas party they will be and looking into different markets. For HSV to grow they need to bring new products to the country.

Shaun
15th April 2008, 09:25 AM
From coversation I recently had with a HSV dealer here (From the VXR news thread) they seemed to think it will NEVER come to Aust....

HSV are struggling to sell VXR Astras...(the last intake shipment was only 200 cars and most are sitting idle at dealerships) this does not give them any confidence to bring in another niche model that'll have even less demand than the Astra !!!

We can only wait and see what happens, but people hoping for a VXR Corsa, don't hold your breath :(

Are you saying 200 Units in total ?
Please confirm ?

SSS_Hoon
15th April 2008, 10:13 AM
I actually think that the Corsa VXR would sell more then the Astra VXR sells here.

But i do doubt they would bring it here, although if Mazda end up bringing in the MPS2 then they should bring in the Corsa VXR.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
15th April 2008, 10:25 AM
Are you saying 200 Units in total ?
Please confirm ?

Sorry Shaun, my pager thingy dosn't work...

200 units total Australia wide, for the last shipment.

They made an estimate of the number 'they think' would sell until the next shipment schedule ' if ' they decide to bring in more...

I was told if that can't move this last shipment (which seems to be the case) they won't bring in anymore, maybe only the new white VXR (20 off only if they're lucky enough to be allocated them) and that's it...

BTW I've met with Chris Payne many times (HSV factory tour, future model releases focus group meets etc. )and dicussed all things HSV with him, TBH I wouldn't bank on anything this guy says, IMHO he's full of it...

With HSV you just gotta pick and guess what they'll do next and despite how much they try and separate themselves from Holden, they are one and the same company, they only push that line to make people who buy their products feel better, it's all a marketing strategy ;)

Shaun
15th April 2008, 12:21 PM
Chris Payne isnt who im refering to. Im refereing to Scott Grant. HSV New Managing Director who is the Ex Lexus MD.
The latest Batch have only arrived. The are only a Handful of 07 plated stock left. they are selling them but they need to market them some more.

Shaun

rjastra
15th April 2008, 01:24 PM
they are selling them but they need to market them some more.

Golf Gtis seem to exit the showroom at a decent rate of knots without huge amounts of marketing. They have since the Mk 5 was released a few years ago.

If people wanted a VXR they would buy one. Poeple in the market for this type of car KNOW what's around.

Wraith
15th April 2008, 01:39 PM
Chris Payne isnt who im refering to. Im refereing to Scott Grant. HSV New Managing Director who is the Ex Lexus MD.
The latest Batch have only arrived. The are only a Handful of 07 plated stock left. they are selling them but they need to market them some more.

Shaun

Chris Payne now runs Elfin, that's why Scott grant has taken the reigns at HSV ;)

As mentioned, they are all interconnected...

From what I was told at the HSV dealer, it seems everyone who wanted a VXR already has one, hence they're not moving stocks at any great pace these days, hence the very small intake of only 200 vehicles and also the decision to 'try' and get some of the Nurburg. white editions to try and re-spark interest...

Wraith
15th April 2008, 01:45 PM
If people wanted a VXR they would buy one. Poeple in the market for this type of guy KNOW what's around.

+1

This is very, very true and in my case what stopped me from seriously considering a VXR after initial strong interest !!!

I basically compared it to what else is out there in the same or similar category and I'm sorry to say, except for looks, when all was weighed up, especially the 2 most important things - what you actually get for the money outlay, the VXR failed to impress...

This situation will only get worse as time goes by, because there are going to be some new great buys coming for the mid 40k's bracket, eg: Ralliart Lancer ;)

MatsHolden
15th April 2008, 01:46 PM
Also the fact that the Astra H is nearing the end of it's life doesn't help matters. I know I wouldn't go out and buy one when the next generation Astra is 18 months or so off.

Calibrated
15th April 2008, 01:49 PM
Golf Gtis seem to exit the showroom at a decent rate of knots without huge amounts of marketing. They have since the Mk 5 was released a few years ago.

If people wanted a VXR they would buy one. Poeple in the market for this type of guy KNOW what's around.

i assume you mean type of car :p

The GTi gets enough international marketing to not need much from VW Aus.
here, people dont know what Opels are.

and thats where the problem comes in, coz holden ****ed their brand image, and people dont know what is what..

....(they just strut.. what the f*ck) lol.

MatsHolden
15th April 2008, 02:11 PM
and thats where the problem comes in, coz holden ****ed their brand image, and people dont know what is what..

....(they just strut.. what the f*ck) lol.

I dunno about that. The type of people that are in the market for a car like a VXR are going to know it's origins. People who don't know an Astra is an Opel are more than likely not going to be looking at a VXR.

Wraith
15th April 2008, 02:55 PM
I dunno about that. The type of people that are in the market for a car like a VXR are going to know it's origins. People who don't know an Astra is an Opel are more than likely not going to be looking at a VXR.

Agree...

And this is why they'll never sell a great many number of them, because there are only very few people who fit in the above category...

As previously mentioned they (GMH/HSV) are more than aware of this fact concerning the Corsa VXR...

It's great for enthusiasts to have a more unique/exclusive car, but bad for business selling them... :)

rjastra
15th April 2008, 03:27 PM
Also the fact that the Astra H is nearing the end of it's life doesn't help matters. I know I wouldn't go out and buy one when the next generation Astra is 18 months or so off.

Not quite true... the Gti Mk5 is less than a year away from replacement and people still want them!

MatsHolden
15th April 2008, 04:53 PM
Not quite true... the Gti Mk5 is less than a year away from replacement and people still want them!

I think the GTi is a bit different, they are a lot more main stream than a VXR. A VXR is more of a niche vehicle than a GTi so more prone to being affected by owners being aware the car is coming towards it's end of model life. I know LOTS of people with GTi's that aren't full on car enthusiasts. An even if people are still buying the GTi in good numbers, i'd say sales wouldn't be as good as they were mid way through...

USC
15th April 2008, 10:53 PM
Also, VW GTi has been around for AGES. I had never heard of the VXR or even an sri-t until a few years ago..when they started selling the TS sri-t.

On the other hand, I have known about the vw gti for more than 15 years.

re: new astra coming...i dont think the shape will look as good as the AH or even TS. according to spy pics, it looks like a mixture of corolla with korean viva...

OPC
15th April 2008, 11:34 PM
On the other hand, I have known about the vw gti for more than 15 years.

and they are still shit

USC
16th April 2008, 12:15 AM
and they are still shit

lol... :p ...

OPC
16th April 2008, 12:16 AM
lol... :p ...

LOL :p

Shaun
16th April 2008, 12:18 AM
HSV Need to do a Modifaction Package. That could spark some more interest.
Milltek AP Brakes and Bluefin Tuner would be a good package. I wish i worked in there Marketing department.

OPC
16th April 2008, 12:19 AM
I wish i worked in there Marketing department.

i wish you would shut up... :p

Shaun
16th April 2008, 12:21 AM
i wish you would shut up... :p

If i shut there would be nothing for you to post in reply to...

OPC
16th April 2008, 12:31 AM
If i shut there would be nothing for you to post in reply to...

too true there buddy

keep talkin then... hurry up and reply so i can spam crap

USC
16th April 2008, 01:21 AM
HSV Need to do a Modifaction Package. That could spark some more interest.
Milltek AP Brakes and Bluefin Tuner would be a good package. I wish i worked in there Marketing department.

not only in performance parts but HSV should contribute in design etc...replace vxr logos with HSV, prob diff spoiler and skirts, wheels, exhaust, lights!!

Wraith
16th April 2008, 09:07 AM
I think the GTi is a bit different, they are a lot more main stream than a VXR. A VXR is more of a niche vehicle than a GTi so more prone to being affected by owners being aware the car is coming towards it's end of model life. I know LOTS of people with GTi's that aren't full on car enthusiasts. An even if people are still buying the GTi in good numbers, i'd say sales wouldn't be as good as they were mid way through...

Once again totally agree...this is true !

Most Gti's I see are driven by normal 'non enthusiasts' you can't say the same for the VXR and as mentioned, because of this the market for such a car will be small - looking at it from a business perspective, it's not a good thing...

As Mats pointed out, in either case the demand does eventually cool off and restart again usually at the launch of a new model and so the cycle goes full circle again :)

Shaun
16th April 2008, 10:11 AM
not only in performance parts but HSV should contribute in design etc...replace vxr logos with HSV, prob diff spoiler and skirts, wheels, exhaust, lights!!

Why change whats works already ???? Honestly why spend dollars on what works. Turn the heat up on simple stuff is much more cost effective.

Wraith
16th April 2008, 11:41 AM

I agree with Shaun, ie: no point in mucking about with the design of the car and doing high dollar changes to fittings like spoilers, lights etc. for such a 'small volume' car as already mentioned numerous times...

But, I do agree that they should've at least bothered with prepping the cars identity properly for the Aust. market, ie: badging it all over to HSV !!!

They have in fact copped an earful of this from people and even dealers, but as can be seen from the latest batch, it's fallen on death ears...

From what I've seen and heard over at HSV HQ in Clayton, the simple fact is that HSV operatives don't really have much interest in the VXR or any 4 potters, especially one that they don't even have anything to do with, it comes in from O/S fully assembled, it gets 2 badges stuck on it and it goes off to the dealers...a lack of knowledge or info, even on their website, a lack of proper brochures at the dealers and the above mentioned lack of bothering to even badge the car properly states the obvious...

They are and always will be a hands on their own V8 operations outfit and this is of prime interest and concern to them !!!

Coming soon in the Holden range will be forced induction V6 VE variants - quite possibly twin turbo models...

In the past HSV has also shown a lack of proper interest in these too, but I suspect now they will be keen to have a good high power TT V6 in their range, to compete successfully with the new higher power factory turbo XR6 Falcons...

EL BURITO
16th April 2008, 01:00 PM
Well when fuel hits the $2L mark and only a small number of people are willing to spen that % of there income on fuel alone lets see wat happens to there buineess as a whole.

Wraith
16th April 2008, 01:20 PM
Well when fuel hits the $2L mark and only a small number of people are willing to spen that % of there income on fuel alone lets see wat happens to there buineess as a whole.

This is true, however die hard V8 fans (believe it or not there are plenty) are not neccessarily bothered by fuel prices...they'll still get their V8 and maybe just drive it less or as a 2nd car.

If you look at GMH V8 sales over the past few years, it has actually hit a new all time high, despite rising fuel costs !!!

GreyRex
16th April 2008, 02:36 PM
This is true, however die hard V8 fans (believe it or not there are plenty) are not neccessarily bothered by fuel prices...they'll still get their V8 and maybe just drive it less or as a 2nd car.

If you look at GMH V8 sales over the past few years, it has actually hit a new all time high, despite rising fuel costs !!!

That's it. Even though Commodore sales are steady/lower, V8's have never been so high... because you have your typical aussie now changing and going for the sports/V8 range.

The ones who may used to have gone for a Berlina-ish/family model seem to be leaning towards slightly smaller more premium cars. My family is the perfect example... we had Commodores all my life, and now a Subaru Liberty.

I even remember ringing Walkinshaw and trying to get info about upgrades on the AH Turbo. On their website they have all pictures and info about their featured car (like the HSV website). But when i called the really nice guy on the phone said to me, it's the V8's that are our business. Some of the Walkinshaw stuff officially has not been tested.

It's just a constant circle. All my info i either get from here or UK forums, and pretty much all parts i get from overseas. In terms of the Corsa VXR, i don't think it'll come. It'll be an enthusiasts choice (good for us), which means it won't sell in huge numbers (bad for Holden/HSV). Like the Astra VXR, this means what do they do about marketing it, selling it, having parts... let alone the knowledge at dealerships

Just my two cents...

USC
16th April 2008, 04:06 PM
That's it. Even though Commodore sales are steady/lower, V8's have never been so high... because you have your typical aussie now changing and going for the sports/V8 range.

The ones who may used to have gone for a Berlina-ish/family model seem to be leaning towards slightly smaller more premium cars. My family is the perfect example... we had Commodores all my life, and now a Subaru Liberty.

I even remember ringing Walkinshaw and trying to get info about upgrades on the AH Turbo. On their website they have all pictures and info about their featured car (like the HSV website). But when i called the really nice guy on the phone said to me, it's the V8's that are our business. Some of the Walkinshaw stuff officially has not been tested.

It's just a constant circle. All my info i either get from here or UK forums, and pretty much all parts i get from overseas. In terms of the Corsa VXR, i don't think it'll come. It'll be an enthusiasts choice (good for us), which means it won't sell in huge numbers (bad for Holden/HSV). Like the Astra VXR, this means what do they do about marketing it, selling it, having parts... let alone the knowledge at dealerships

Just my two cents...

The thing that scares me the most is knowlegde at dealerships...:p

Vectra V6
16th April 2008, 04:18 PM
There is a massive market here for hot hatches atm and if they want a share they need to brand the astra vxr before they bring out the corsa vxr.

Another issue is whether or not hodlen has succeeded in importing daewoos..... if the barina, epica, captiva and viva are selling better than the equivalent opel models, than there would be no reason to bring out the corsa.

If they consider reverting back to opel and bringing out various platforms of the corsa than i can see hsv having reason to import the corsa vxr.....

with the astra vxr, there has been alot of media attention regarding the vehicle but in my opinion the market does not consider hsv to have full ownership of the model and are reluctant to buy into it...... that is the underlying problem... hsv need to fully endorse it by giving it a full rebadge and remarketing there entire brand, which i dont think they will do (and havent done) given the success of its current models...

Theo
16th May 2008, 11:37 AM
If it does make here...HSV will put a stupid price tag onto it.

EL BURITO
16th May 2008, 11:39 AM
If it does make here...HSV will put a stupid price tag onto it.
correct

and it may have a better chance coming over when the new XR4 is released early next year with a 1.6 T putting out 150kw at a price like the current model 25K :O

Theo
16th May 2008, 11:53 AM
I remember when the first SB GSi Barina came out...Holden were asking $27,000. That was going back 13 years ago.

EL BURITO
16th May 2008, 11:55 AM
I remember when the first SB GSi Barina came out...Holden were asking $27,000. That was going back 13 years ago.
bloody hell

but wasn't the value of the aus$ shit at that time.

It is alot better now in compassion to the pound and euro

JohnBu
16th May 2008, 04:53 PM
off topic.. like most of rest of the thread :lol:

How are the Civic Type R selling?

lined one up last night running to give him a little run, he didn't even accelerate.. haha (it was up an incline, so i guess with the torque deficit I would have smashed him).

from all reports its closer to a 8 sec (to 100km/h) than the quoted 6.6sec. i wanted to find out for myself.

only asian guys seem to be driving Civic Type R..

USC
16th May 2008, 05:21 PM
civic type R is one hell of an ugly car...yuk! who would buy this??

does not look like a fast car to me.

bornwild
16th May 2008, 05:33 PM
I think the VXR is a dead end....not only because it's not all that famous but because it isn't that good of a car. :)

Ice
16th May 2008, 05:38 PM

its all a matter of opinion really isnt it. what makes us all different. how boring would it be if we all drove around in falcons ?????

sooty
16th May 2008, 05:47 PM

I actually like the looks, and the two triangular exhausts put out a decent note.
Saw one take off today...sounded faster than it looked...

GreyRex
17th May 2008, 12:08 PM
I think the VXR is a dead end....not only because it's not all that famous but because it isn't that good of a car. :)

I think there'd be quite a few who'd disagree with you there. Jump on vxronline.co.uk and see just how many happy owners there are... how many tuners there are with different stages of tunes (1, 2 and 3)

In Aus it's more of a 'niche' car. Most would say it's a little overpriced, and hasn't had full backing from HSV. But we all know what good 'ol Holden/HSV can be like

I don't see any reason why there won't be a new Astra VXR (possibly 2010/2011) in Aus

CNBLU
17th May 2008, 12:21 PM

maybe you should own one for a while then make that sort of
judgement:rolleyes:

Every car has their floors and to stand here and pick at all of them will leave you with NO CAR, just because it dont sell like a falcon or commonwhore dont make it a lousy vehicle.

kabel
18th May 2008, 12:32 PM

The wisdom of youth !

USC
18th May 2008, 12:55 PM

Every car has their floors and to stand here and pick at all of them will leave you with NO CAR, just because it dont sell like a falcon or commonwhore dont make it a lousy vehicle.

agree:) VXR is a nice car...much nicer than the lousy civic type R...damn hondas have been making some ugly cars for a while..except for the accord euro..the new accord looks like a hyundai...hahaha

OPC
18th May 2008, 04:56 PM
agree:) VXR is a nice car...much nicer than the lousy civic type R...damn hondas have been making some ugly cars for a while..except for the accord euro..the new accord looks like a hyundai...hahaha

the integra type R was a nice N/A car until they made the type S for shit

i like the S2000 aswell not bad for another N/A car

bornwild
18th May 2008, 08:05 PM
I think there'd be quite a few who'd disagree with you there. Jump on vxronline.co.uk and see just how many happy owners there are... how many tuners there are with different stages of tunes (1, 2 and 3)

In Aus it's more of a 'niche' car. Most would say it's a little overpriced, and hasn't had full backing from HSV. But we all know what good 'ol Holden/HSV can be like

I don't see any reason why there won't be a new Astra VXR (possibly 2010/2011) in Aus

Well I'm sure after some tuning it is a very nice ride, but from the showroom it actually is just a straight line gun. It has shitloads of power, no doubt. Engine is beautiful as is the 6spd manual. But the handling of the car is disappointing, especially considering that it's competing with the likes of Focus XR5, Golf GTi and RenaultSport Megane. The VXRs sure have straight-line performance but the cornering ability and sensation you get is not on par with its competition.

I'm judging from my first impressions and I'm pretty sure it's handling isn't gonna improve any with time. And Tiff Needall seems to agree with me.

The wisdom of youth !

...quite ironic your statement :)

ps. I've always said I'd get the VXR over any other hot hatch...mainly because I love the looks so much and I never do track days.....:)

MatsHolden
18th May 2008, 08:38 PM

This car has great road presence. Actually is 'out of the square' design and it works. If it was that ugly i'm sure it wouldn't have one Wheels Automotive Design Award. Just the mechanical package is a little dissapointing.

bornwild
18th May 2008, 08:44 PM
It's got a nice drivetrain too...it's the weight that lets it down :)

MatsHolden
18th May 2008, 08:47 PM
It's got a nice drivetrain too...it's the weight that lets it down :)

Could've tweaked the power a bit. And going from indepedent rear suspension back to torsion beam isn't ideal.

JohnBu
19th May 2008, 09:51 AM
Could've tweaked the power a bit. And going from indepedent rear suspension back to torsion beam isn't ideal.

its hard to get extra power of the type r engines because they are tuned to the limit from the factory..

the output is impressive for a 2L n/a... but

unlike a turbo car, exhaust can lose power, spend $5,000 and you'll get 5-10kw at most..

only serious way to get any extra power from these 2L is to turbo charge them, but if you did, why not just get a turbo in the first place..

i've yet to drive one, but reviews seems to think that its gutless.

unless you have 3.0+, i couldn't imagine driving a n/a again.

even the sweet 195kW bmw 3.0L (used in various BMWs) was improved by adding twin turbos to create the 335i which has dominated engine of the year awards.

oh yeah, saw another type r over the weekend, yep, another asian driver.. i do like the looks of it.

Wraith
19th May 2008, 10:33 AM
its hard to get extra power of the type r engines because they are tuned to the limit from the factory..

the output is impressive for a 2L n/a... but

unlike a turbo car, exhaust can lose power, spend $5,000 and you'll get 5-10kw at most..

only serious way to get any extra power from these 2L is to turbo charge them, but if you did, why not just get a turbo in the first place..

i've yet to drive one, but reviews seems to think that its gutless.

unless you have 3.0+, i couldn't imagine driving a n/a again.

even the sweet 195kW bmw 3.0L (used in various BMWs) was improved by adding twin turbos to create the 335i which has dominated engine of the year awards.

oh yeah, saw another type r over the weekend, yep, another asian driver.. i do like the looks of it.

Agree, when forced induction is added to these engines they're awesome...

I've seen an E46 M3 with a turbo kit and nothing else done to the engine, it pumped out nearly 400kw...

What alot of the 'ricers' do with the Civics and other Hondas especially in the U.S is fit em with NOS kits - much easier quicker and cheaper way of getting huge power and torque gains :)

I see lots of BMW 335i's around and must say they're growing on me quite a bit, they seem to look nicer every time I see one and that sweet and tunable TT 6 pack, mmmmmm.... :)

bornwild
19th May 2008, 11:53 AM
Wonder why we don't get the JDM Civic Type-R which is much quicker than the Euro one?!

Orion_996
19th May 2008, 12:09 PM
Wonder why we don't get the JDM Civic Type-R which is much quicker than the Euro one?!

I think I read somewhere, that one of the main probs is fuel, hence why none of the older Jap Type Rs weren't imported, even the Integras that have been here, were detuned.

That being said, I do like the Type R Civic, I just wouldn't get one, they seem to be awesome for the track, but gutless for city driving... I like torque :D.

OPC
19th May 2008, 01:26 PM

Because the Japs heard about the JDM scene over here

they know that all the gooses just sit in car parks reving their VTEC

bornwild
19th May 2008, 05:20 PM
Because the Japs heard about the JDM scene over here

they know that all the gooses just sit in car parks reving their VTEC

and waiting 'til the VTEC kicks in ahhahaahahhahahahah :D

aussie_in_london
19th May 2008, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=bornwild;316393]Well I'm sure after some tuning it is a very nice ride, but from the showroom it actually is just a straight line gun. It has shitloads of power, no doubt. Engine is beautiful as is the 6spd manual. But the handling of the car is disappointing, especially considering that it's competing with the likes of Focus XR5, Golf GTi and RenaultSport Megane. The VXRs sure have straight-line performance but the cornering ability and sensation you get is not on par with its competition.
QUOTE]

I would assume your coming from an experts opinion or is it someone elses!

Now based on your thoughts i would guess this stig had it all wrong then, best we get you in the pilots seat hey :)

http://www.hothatchheaven.com/files/the_stig_test.pdf

dont always blame your equipment ; )
lol

GreyRex
19th May 2008, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=bornwild;316393]Well I'm sure after some tuning it is a very nice ride, but from the showroom it actually is just a straight line gun. It has shitloads of power, no doubt. Engine is beautiful as is the 6spd manual. But the handling of the car is disappointing, especially considering that it's competing with the likes of Focus XR5, Golf GTi and RenaultSport Megane. The VXRs sure have straight-line performance but the cornering ability and sensation you get is not on par with its competition.
QUOTE]

Now based on your thoughts i would guess this stig had it all wrong then, best we get you in the pilots seat hey :)

lol

"The Stig placed the Astra just behind the Megane in terms of its abilities on our circuit, citing excellent braking and impressive amounts of power as its greatest attributes. He went as far as to say that if the turbo was less aggressive, spreading the power more evenly across the rev-range, it would have been nigh on perfect. The time speak volumes too. Hats are being eaten as I write."

bornwild
19th May 2008, 10:12 PM
Just behind the megane...enough for me to confirm I'm right! :p

GreyRex
19th May 2008, 10:22 PM
Just behind the megane...enough for me to confirm I'm right! :p

If that's what makes it a dead end car... then sure!!

USC
19th May 2008, 10:32 PM
sorry to change topic, but can I put NOS on a NA car?? would it be fast?:D

EL BURITO
19th May 2008, 10:33 PM
sorry to change topic, but can I put NOS on a NA car?? would it be fast?:D
send Nik a PM

MatsHolden
19th May 2008, 10:38 PM
What alot of the 'ricers' do with the Civics and other Hondas especially in the U.S is fit em with NOS kits - much easier quicker and cheaper way of getting huge power and torque gains :)

NOS isn't real horsepower though in my books. :)

USC
19th May 2008, 10:46 PM
[quote=bornwild;316393]Well I'm sure after some tuning it is a very nice ride, but from the showroom it actually is just a straight line gun. It has shitloads of power, no doubt. Engine is beautiful as is the 6spd manual. But the handling of the car is disappointing, especially considering that it's competing with the likes of Focus XR5, Golf GTi and RenaultSport Megane. The VXRs sure have straight-line performance but the cornering ability and sensation you get is not on par with its competition.
QUOTE]

lol

Im not so sure about this review...

EL BURITO
19th May 2008, 10:59 PM
best option for you

poita
19th May 2008, 11:13 PM

your reading the wrong books :p

OPC
19th May 2008, 11:14 PM
and waiting 'til the VTEC kicks in ahhahaahahhahahahah :D

that's the one brudda hahahahaha

bornwild
19th May 2008, 11:39 PM

Me neither to be honest...I think I'll trust Tiff Needall on the technical side of reviewing cars.

aussie_in_london
19th May 2008, 11:49 PM
Me neither to be honest...I think I'll trust Tiff Needall on the technical side of reviewing cars.

how about you make your own opinion based on driving it for a few weeks rather than basing it on someone elses opinion, you watch to much fifth Gear lol might as well add Clarkson's opinion just to strengthen your own that little bit more lol

Didnt Tiff get the astra around the track faster than the focus with one arm tied behind his back??????

cant be that bad of a handler if thats the case even if he didnt like the car based on his own opinion!

aussie_in_london
19th May 2008, 11:52 PM
[quote=aussie_in_london;316674]

why, do you have some inside knowledge that we dont know about??

do tell! :)

OPC
19th May 2008, 11:59 PM
how about you make your own opinion based on driving it for a few weeks rather than basing it on someone elses opinion, you watch to much fifth Gear lol might as well add Clarkson's opinion just to strengthen your own that little bit more lol

!

exactly what ive been thinkin

all in all... im sure all of the reviews were biased against the VXR astra or corsa

but it goes to show how good they are when they are selling like hot cakes over in the UK

and guess what... there are a hell of alot of tuners doing different types of stages or tunes for them

there are LSD's, bluefin's, eibach's, RARB's, intercoolers, miltek/remus systems, CAI

you name it they are doing it, exactly like the aussie tuners are doing for rexxies and 200sx's

hahaha it makes me wonder if most of us aussie's are sheep, and beleive the crap that these TV shows tell us... cmon people wake up and smell the crap

aussie_in_london
20th May 2008, 12:04 AM
the little corsa VXR has been proving its worth of late in some recent shoot outs against some of its rivals but then it cant be right as Tiff Needall wasnt a fan of the little hot hatch lol

USC
20th May 2008, 12:21 AM
[quote=USC;316949]

why, do you have some inside knowledge that we dont know about??

do tell! :)

may be:D

who would take a civic type r over a megane turbo or golf gti or mps or vxr?? damn the stig must be GAY.

aussie_in_london
20th May 2008, 12:23 AM
[quote=aussie_in_london;317006]

may be:D

who would take a civic type r over a megane turbo or golf gti or mps or vxr?? damn the stig must be GAY.

simple answer mate,

the stig is a pom!

do we need to say anymore lol

where is the civic made???????????????

USC
20th May 2008, 12:31 AM
[quote=USC;317012]

simple answer mate,

the stig is a pom!

do we need to say anymore lol

where is the civic made???????????????

:D :D ..pommy boy!!

Civic vti/vti-L/sport are made in thailand.

Hybrid I think is from the US but I am not sure.

Civic type R is from the UK if memory serves me right.

OPC
20th May 2008, 12:35 AM
gees will you fekers learn how to quote each other properly

hahahahaha U Silly Caaaarnts

bornwild
20th May 2008, 12:40 AM
the civic typer is made in the uk. And why yes Tiff i do trust with technicalities unless you think there is someone more competent to give an opinion other than an ex F1 driver...

OPC
20th May 2008, 12:45 AM
the civic typer is made in the uk. And why yes Tiff i do trust with technicalities unless you think there is someone more competent to give an opinion other than an ex F1 driver...

roger cordia would give a better review that a EX F1 driver... i did say EX F1 DRIVER

EX means he dont drive F1 's anymore... in the mean time roger cordia is a legend after all

aussie_in_london
20th May 2008, 01:34 AM
And why yes Tiff i do trust with technicalities unless you think there is someone more competent to give an opinion other than an ex F1 driver...

that almost puts him up there with Clarkson then doesnt it lol
so if you combine both their opinions together and make it your own you will not be far off a legend motoring journalist yourself and i think you could then answer your own question in regards to someone being more competent giving an opinion over an ex f1 driver :)

GreyRex
20th May 2008, 08:37 AM
Interesting discussion this one:)

Wraith
20th May 2008, 08:53 AM
Interesting discussion this one:)

Yeh, it is :)

It is interesting though that whilst car mag and car show reviews on cars are not to be taken as gospel, because as pointed out, they only have the car for a very short time, it is worth considering that most of the comments/judgements relating to a certain type of car, nearly always reflect the same sentiments or results among all of the reviewers, be it different countries, or publications of magazines, only rarely do I see a review that's totally conflicting...

There are some organisations that are taking a particular type of car 'on board' for an extended period of time and reviewing as they go along (eg: Edmunds, doing a 12 month run with the R35 GT-R), this would be very valuable to someone wanting one of those in the future :)

With any car though, it either grabs you right from the beginning or it dosn't, if it does and you love it that much, you'll still get one regardless of any shortfalls it actually has...each to their own and be happy with what you've spent your money on and put effort into.

At the end of the day, who cares what other people think, as long as your happy, for your own reasons with what you've got :)

rjastra
20th May 2008, 10:11 AM
It is interesting though that whilst car mag and car show reviews on cars are not to be taken as gospel, because as pointed out, they only have the car for a very short time, it is worth considering that most of the comments/judgements relating to a certain type of car, nearly always reflect the same sentiments or results among all of the reviewers, be it different countries, or publications of magazines, only rarely do I see a review that's totally conflicting...

Exactly... you read a number of reports from different sources and you can see the overall picture.

For instance... it is a common thread that the CLio 197 suffers from too much weight/or too little torque. The Mazda 3 MPS is a bit of a one trick pony - mid range grunt ;)

xplosv57
20th May 2008, 10:42 AM
roger cordia would give a better review that a EX F1 driver... i did say EX F1 DRIVER

EX means he dont drive F1 's anymore... in the mean time roger cordia is a legend after all

+1 for Roger Cordia, he is number one!!!!!!! :dance:

EL BURITO
20th May 2008, 12:00 PM
There are some organisations that are taking a particular type of car 'on board' for an extended period of time and reviewing as they go along (eg: Edmunds, doing a 12 month run with the R35 GT-R), this would be very valuable to someone wanting one of those in the future :)

That is what top gear magazine do

they have had a 300C for 6mths now

along with 4 or 5 other cars being driven by there writers that are given monthly updates.

and they don't tell the service depts they are with topgear so get rear world experience

bornwild
20th May 2008, 01:08 PM
that almost puts him up there with Clarkson then doesnt it lol
so if you combine both their opinions together and make it your own you will not be far off a legend motoring journalist yourself and i think you could then answer your own question in regards to someone being more competent giving an opinion over an ex f1 driver :)

I'm not making it my own opinion...my own opinion is that the VXR is too nervous at the limit. I'd still get one, it's not too much of a deterrent for me. :) And citing Tiff as a referance point for my opion is just to back what I experienced. :) Only thing that your gonna experience with having the car for 12mths is how quick you get bored, how much services cost etc. which doesn't interest me. I'm interested in the handling of the car which is apparent from a 40min hard drive.

As for the Corsa...well it's a really nice car, but the Clio does seem to be putting out better lap times. Corsa is probably still better due to the tuning potential, being a turbo. ;)

Wraith
20th May 2008, 01:33 PM
That is what top gear magazine do

they have had a 300C for 6mths now

along with 4 or 5 other cars being driven by there writers that are given monthly updates.

and they don't tell the service depts they are with topgear so get rear world experience

Yes, these are the reviews which hold far more credibilty and weight and can be an invaluable source of info, if your interested in getting that car yourself, especially if you want to keep it long term, as problems arise over time, not immediately :)

aussie_in_london
20th May 2008, 06:58 PM
I'm not making it my own opinion...my own opinion is that the VXR is too nervous at the limit. I'd still get one, it's not too much of a deterrent for me. :) And citing Tiff as a referance point for my opion is just to back what I experienced. :) Only thing that your gonna experience with having the car for 12mths is how quick you get bored, how much services cost etc. which doesn't interest me. I'm interested in the handling of the car which is apparent from a 40min hard drive.

As for the Corsa...well it's a really nice car, but the Clio does seem to be putting out better lap times. Corsa is probably still better due to the tuning potential, being a turbo. ;)

i know we are all driving gods here and some more than others but in reality i doubt you would ever get the full amount out of the car or even realise its full potential, most times its the pilot that lets the car down and not the car itself, if your going to quote Tiff again, yes he is an ex F1 driver and that being rwd, he has never raced fwd and we all know there is a difference, wont to experience the VXR's full potentals then get out in one with a touring car driver, i have been out a few times now with current BTCC drivers and was blown away by just how well a stock VXR handles at the hands of actually driving gods and not us self preclaimed driving gods lol

as for the VXR being to nervous at the limits, have you ever had your own driving ability assessed, no offence but there could also be your problem!

as for the corsa base it on your own opinion and take it for a drive (if Aus get them that is lol)

good vid with the corsa up against the clio 197 cup, puts the 2 into a bit more propsective in regards to track times etc
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=232304&Mode=B

bornwild
20th May 2008, 07:23 PM
I've got substantial go-carting experience myself and some junior rallies overseas. Admittedly the rallies were in 100bhp tricked out kit-cars but nevertheless.

Also, James Plato said the same about the VXR....and he is a BTCC driver. :)

Just to emphasize...I love the VXR Astra, ok? I'm just being realistic towards it's capabilities from stock. :)

And look, Astra is a car that's meant to be good in the hands of a mortal...Focus ST doesn't require you to be a driving God to drive it fast. :)

That's my last post on this...it might never end :p

aussie_in_london
20th May 2008, 07:31 PM
Also, James Plato said the same about the VXR....and he is a BTCC driver. :)

and Jason races for Seat, somehow i wouldnt expect him to be raving about a Vauxhall lol

in my opinion a 40 min demo drive from a dealer is never really enought to make a full assumption on any car, low milage, crap fuel to say the least.

Vxl have done well with their VXR track days, all the range on a number of race circuits, decent milage and high octane fuel while you go about with a pro race instructor which most are ex GT and BTCC drivers. Well worth the 95 quid that also includes evassive driving course, lunch and refreshments throughout the day, we are doing our third next month and well worth the experience.

bornwild
20th May 2008, 07:38 PM
Wish we had that kind of stuff here...we never get anything over here, as you already know. :(