PDA

View Full Version : 500Nm out of a 4-cylinder = Mercedes

bornwild
11th April 2008, 01:52 PM
New Merc 2.1l diesel engine with twin-turbocharging. Bye bye petrol(Seriously). And only uses 5.4l of diesel per 100km!!! That's amazing.

http://images.worldcarfans.com/2008/4/10/9080410.007/9080410.007.Mini6L.jpg

edit: forgot the link...here (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080410.007/new-mercedes-4-cylinder-diesel-engine)

PaulyJ
11th April 2008, 02:31 PM
WOW
thats serious technology

JohnBu
11th April 2008, 02:48 PM
i do like it.. 150kW/500nM

i'm more inpressed by the kW than the torque.

oneightoo
11th April 2008, 03:12 PM
thats nice :)

Wraith
11th April 2008, 03:22 PM
i do like it.. 150kW/500nM

i'm more inpressed by the kW than the torque.

+ 1

Totally agree...

When it comes to oilers, we all know the torque is abundant, it's the kw's that are lagging !!!

That's why something like that monster Audi R8 V12 TTDI with like 1,200nm can only manage a 0-100km/h in 4.5sec...

It's about time the 4 pot oilers starting getting at least around 150kw, regardless of torque, the new series of 4 pot of oilers (2.2 - 2.4ltr displacement) coming soon from the Japanese will also push out around 150kw stock, hopefully we'll see 180-200kw at least from 2.0-2.5ltr 4 pot oilers, then I'll become an oiler convert :D but only for an everyday car...if I wanted a performance pride n joy, it would still be a petrol powered vehicle :)

bornwild
11th April 2008, 04:31 PM
Wraith, read this ;) http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planett...-driving-shot/

About the R8 V12 TDI...and on there they restricted the R8 to only 500Nm!!

And the guy still had this to say: "I found myself in fourth gear and hammering towards the Atlantic Ocean at some rate of knots, the turbos emitting a loud hollow whoosh, and all the while I was thinking stuff like 'my God, what will this thing be like on full boost?' and 'my God, I think a diesel supercar will WORK!'.
Didn't take it quite to the redline, because Thomas would have summarily executed me if I'd have blown that engine to bits, but I went very close. And I can confirm that the diesel supercar has well and truly arrived - it's almost certain that Audi will build this thing, and when it does, the car should have more power and a hell of a lot more torque even than the normally aspirated V10 they're planning to put into the new RS8."

:)

entice
11th April 2008, 06:30 PM
umm problem is, diesel availability is still pathetic in suburbia, and it's up to 28cpl more expensive than 91 ron equivalent.

was disappointing to watch a news bulletin that stipulated that the "watchdog" is monitoring petrol, not all fuels (ie diesel and lpg), and that it doesnt follow the same discount cycle. I think they came to the conclusion that increasing fdiesel (fuel) sales were funding the discounted petrol.

Would be nice if Kevin and co got their act into gear and monitored all fuels....

andrewd
16th April 2008, 08:55 PM
i hate diesel and hippys and tree huggers and the enviromnent

2t engines are/were awesome... so simple very underated now and sadly almost extinct.. and aside from popular belief arent torqueless but actualy quite the opposite, and with direct injection and all that crap even more effieient and gayer too a honda CR500 makes more torque than a XR650 despite being almost 200cc less in capacity.... but anyway

but what impresses me even more is that my R/C car makes 4hp from 4.23cc

anyway congrats to mercedes.... maybe they can now get a diesel to rev to 7000rpm to make it at least half fun to drive one!

Wraith
16th April 2008, 09:14 PM
i hate diesel and hippys and tree huggers and the enviromnent

2t engines are/were awesome... so simple very underated now and sadly almost extinct.. and aside from popular belief arent torqueless but actualy quite the opposite, and with direct injection and all that crap even more effieient and gayer too a honda CR500 makes more torque than a XR650 despite being almost 200cc less in capacity.... but anyway

but what impresses me even more is that my R/C car makes 4hp from 4.23cc

anyway congrats to mercedes.... maybe they can now get a diesel to rev to 7000rpm to make it at least half fun to drive one!

Yeah, that is true, 2 strokers are incredibly powerful and simple engines with almost rotary engine like power bands and diesel engine torque...

And couldn't agree more with the last 2 lines !!! I do honestly think they will 'eventually' get there though :)

Oh and I don't mind diesel and the enviroment, but yeh you can kill the hippies and the tree huggers :D

CORZZA
17th April 2008, 06:33 AM
Merc are really stepping up their game!

But they are not new to major torque figures!

CLS 65 AMG before the detune was just over 1150nm! Ahhhhhhhhh

So were alot of the 65 AMG's