PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Subaru

d.c.
10th April 2008, 07:22 PM
This could cost Subaru a lot of cash!

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=51218&vf=2

Wraith
10th April 2008, 07:26 PM
That's a good find and heads up d.c. well done...

Lucky I havn't gone out a bought a new Sti yet !!!

I think Subaru will definitely do something to help out people who have already purchased one of these - if it was a similar matter with GMH, I'd be worried...

Keep'emRunning
10th April 2008, 07:40 PM
wow that would suck having to send your brand new car back to get the engine pulled out and stripped down...

I read about a lot of commodore gen3 owners that werent at all happy about their engines having to be rebuilt, even under warranty :(

Wraith
10th April 2008, 07:42 PM
wow that would suck having to send your brand new car back to get the engine pulled out and stripped down...

I read about a lot of commodore gen3 owners that werent at all happy about their engines having to be rebuilt, even under warranty :(

Only a small number have been sold, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they just get a whole new car !!!

poita
10th April 2008, 07:47 PM
dam not good, but good to see subaru dealing with it very quickly

rjastra
10th April 2008, 11:21 PM
Already posted :)

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16375&page=2

btm
11th April 2008, 08:31 AM
so does this only effect the 2.5L turbo's sold since Jan this year?

SIMid
11th April 2008, 08:34 AM
Shit, just hoping my PS3 GT5 STi does not have the same fate. :p

Ishley
11th April 2008, 08:51 AM
Take it back to your local Subaru and demand a replacement..... :D

Wraith
11th April 2008, 03:33 PM
so does this only effect the 2.5L turbo's sold since Jan this year?

Yep, just those....

Wraith
11th April 2008, 03:36 PM

Have you noticed any funny engine bearing noises from the Wrx's or Sti's ????

If so you have a problem hahahaha :D

bornwild
11th April 2008, 04:33 PM

hahahahahhahahahah you got screwed over by Subaru ahahahhahahahahhaha:p :p :p

cbrmale
13th April 2008, 11:06 AM
Remember that Subaru is a very small player in Australia's car market, currently running at less than 4% market share, with total registrations of all models about 3,000 per month. And only a small percentage of that small percentage are turbocharged. Toyota sell more Corolla models (almost 4,000) than Subaru sell of all models.

On the world car market Subaru is more insignificant, the only market share stats I could find had them rating alongside a number of other small manufacturers at less than 1%.

Looking at Australian sales stats, the results can be surprising. Commodore is doing poorly, selliing about the same as Corolla, the Mondeo is selling a few hundred a month (similar to the Vectra when it was around), the Mazda 3 sells well, while the Focus just outsells the Astra (about 1200 per month to about 1100).

USC
13th April 2008, 11:24 AM
lol!! I knew subarus were shit.;)

come one..wouldnt they have detected that when stress testing the engine??? they did a quicky job...

bornwild
13th April 2008, 01:21 PM

come one..wouldnt they have detected that when stress testing the engine??? they did a quicky job...

They're Japs not Germans;)

blueraven
13th April 2008, 06:07 PM
only 2 engines in the states have had this problem.

I am actually very happy that a manufacturer would go to this effort after only 2 engines, holden would wait until they had probably 1000+ screaming customers before the thought about fixing a problem...in fact didnt that happen to one of the V8 motors a while ago? owners were getting rebuilds under warranty etc.

The rage of VIN numbers affected may look big, but when i spoke to an STI dealer on friday he said virtually no cars in australia fall between the limits( a few hundred max) and none of the STI's delivered to australia were within the range...

USC
13th April 2008, 06:26 PM
They're Japs not Germans;)

german cars are rubbish too:p ... heard horror stories about mercs.

bornwild
13th April 2008, 07:39 PM

Due to poor aussie servicing...not manufacture ;)

USC
13th April 2008, 09:48 PM
Due to poor aussie servicing...not manufacture ;)
could be..but I doubt that a software glitch with the automatic transmission of a 2007 E class merc is a servicing issue...

but 100% agree that car manufacturers should concentrate on training their mechanics better and change this attittude: "she `ll be alright mate!"

:)

HappySlapper82
13th April 2008, 10:00 PM

Aren't Opel's German? :p

A mechanic at my work has had bottom end problems with his "bug eyed" wrx since he bought it. It has a horrible b end bearing knock when cold started

USC
14th April 2008, 12:42 AM
lol...yeh! but they are owned by GM (american)...

rusole21
14th April 2008, 02:45 PM

Your a friggin idiot. 3 problems in the whole world and your sayin the whole copany is shit? What about the crap that guy had with his brand new Astra turbo that needed to be machined? At least subaru are doing a recall and not blaming it on "servicing". Also the people will be given loan cars. Grow a brain you cock head

Ice
14th April 2008, 02:49 PM

you insult their cars you insult me !

they are the best car manufacturers in the world..... pfft i cant believe you write such tripe.

rusole21
14th April 2008, 02:51 PM
you insult their cars you insult me !

they are the best car manufacturers in the world..... pfft i cant believe you write such tripe.
X2 USC - Bornwid, Same Same.

rusole21
14th April 2008, 02:53 PM

A mechanic at my work has had bottom end problems with his 2.5 "bug eyed" wrx since he bought it. It has a horrible b end bearing knock when cold started
Your an idiot as well mate. Bug eye didnt have a 2.5l. If he had a problem then tell him to take it to subaru and demand to have it fixed. Or did he buy it second hand from someone that had heavily modified it?

oneightoo
14th April 2008, 04:21 PM
Your a friggin idiot........ Grow a brain you cock head

Your an idiot as well mate.

having a bad day at work mate?

rusole21
14th April 2008, 04:36 PM
True been a bit harsh. I appologise. Just really annoying reading peoples tripe for ideas or oppinions based on nothing being used to tar a whole company. These same people have obviously never driven or owned this brand yet still feel as if they know something.

sooty
14th April 2008, 04:46 PM
True been a bit harsh. I appologise. Just really annoying reading peoples tripe for ideas or oppinions based on nothing being used to tar a whole company. These same people have obviously never driven or owned this brand yet still feel as if they know something.

it's an opinion...no1 is saying you have to agree with it.
Share you difference in opinion, but no need to defame others for theirs...:rolleyes:

rusole21
14th April 2008, 05:14 PM
it's an opinion...no1 is saying you have to agree with it.
Share you difference in opinion, but no need to defame others for theirs...:rolleyes:
Astra diesels with irshimer grills are crap. See mate when someone flames something for no good use you get annoyed. If there was a reason behind a statement like those ones then thats fine, but if not then they deserved to be flamed themselves.

USC
14th April 2008, 05:20 PM
ahahahaha..OMG! somebody is on fire:p

I used to hate subarus in the 90`s...their engines sounded like shit.

I dont mind them now but would never buy an impreza, may be a Liberty(even then, the accord euro or the new mazda 6 is much nicer in my opinion).my mate owns a stock wrx and to be honest, its not that impressive.

sooty
14th April 2008, 05:24 PM
Astra diesels with irshimer grills are crap. See mate when someone flames something for no good use you get annoyed. If there was a reason behind a statement like those ones then thats fine, but if not then they deserved to be flamed themselves.

Ahahaha...you're a very...very sad person aren't you...:rolleyes:
no1 even said anything about your car...just about a manufacturer. why take everything so personally...what's a forum for if not a general exchanging of opinions? It's just a tough life when not everyone can be as intelligent as you ay...*coughs* BAHAHAHAHA

HappySlapper82
14th April 2008, 05:34 PM

Well I'm never going to say a Subaru is good if thats what you want, 'cause thats not my opinion. Keep yours to yourself if you can't be civil about it :mad:

rusole21
16th April 2008, 01:00 PM
Ahahaha...you're a very...very sad person aren't you...:rolleyes:
no1 even said anything about your car...just about a manufacturer. why take everything so personally...what's a forum for if not a general exchanging of opinions? It's just a tough life when not everyone can be as intelligent as you ay...*coughs* BAHAHAHAHA

I was saying astra diesels where crap as an example. All i am saying is that yes this is a public forum with peoples "opinions" but when peoples opinions are based upon something incredibly stupid then those opinions are wrong. I wasnt saying that the astra diesel is crap for any other reason other to show that stupid statements are crap, and wrong. I happen to like the astra diesel. Not so much the shape of the AH because of the rear ingress due to the positioning of the door handle compared to the edge of the door. The rear door nearly hits ya in the head when you open it with the handle.

The thing i find annoying is that poeple stand by their purchases till the death because they spent alot of money on it and feel the need to justify it. I mean how many people dreamt when they where younger about gettin an Astra or Vecra? Doesnt mean they arent good cars but please gve credit where credit is due!

rusole21
16th April 2008, 01:04 PM

A mechanic at my work has had bottom end problems with his "bug eyed" wrx since he bought it. It has a horrible b end bearing knock when cold started

Well I'm never going to say a Subaru is good if thats what you want, 'cause thats not my opinion. Keep yours to yourself if you can't be civil about it :mad:
I dont want you to say anything. Couldnt give a rip about your opinion. I just know that your opinion is based upon your never having owned and probably even driven one. Untill you do nothing can change your mind. I hope your mate has had his car sorted out. Would have been covered by warrenty unless there are major mods. Would have ben given a loan car to most likely. ;)

Wraith
16th April 2008, 01:12 PM
Easy guys, otherwise this thread's gonna go to bits... :(

Back on topic, I'm confident Subaru will settle this 'glitch' very well without too much fuss....they'd better as I'm hot for a new Sti LOL :)

In the U.S the new Sti with the 2.5ltr boxer (same spec as ours will be) is proving to be a killer of a car...

As I posted in another thread, they are getting enough power with only exhaust and ecu re-mapping mods to run mid 12's - that's impressive and they havn't had any reliability issues thus far :)

rusole21
16th April 2008, 01:30 PM
The thing is that it doesnt matter what Subaru does Wraith there will be closed minded people who are blinded to the engineering in the cars. "Subarus are crap because the engines sounded bad in the 90's" :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am not saying that Subaru's are the best ever! In my car i know the heads are not very high flowing, the gear box is weak (try puttin nearly 200kw thru 4 wheels tho) etc... but i do give credit where its due.

Vectracious
16th April 2008, 03:52 PM
Easy guys, otherwise this thread's gonna go to bits... :(

It already has.

Can we settle down please, and remember that opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one. Let's all play nice or the thread will be locked. :cool:

USC
16th April 2008, 03:57 PM
The thing is that it doesnt matter what Subaru does Wraith there will be closed minded people who are blinded to the engineering in the cars. "Subarus are crap because the engines sounded bad in the 90's" :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am not saying that Subaru's are the best ever! In my car i know the heads are not very high flowing, the gear box is weak (try puttin nearly 200kw thru 4 wheels tho) etc... but i do give credit where its due.

Hey Suby dude, Im not saying Subarus are crap because they sounded bad in the 90`s. I think you ears and your head are a bit twisted and biased because u own one fugly subaru forester. my mate owns one of them and they are the ugliest thing around but they are nice to drive. I dont give a shit about their engine, they look very bad( except for the liberty)...and so does the new subaru impreza.. the AH is a much better looking car in my opinion.

Time to lock this thread as one suby owner is about to explode...lol

blueraven
16th April 2008, 04:00 PM
Wriath, the main brisbane dealer told me he would hand the keys to me that day if i wanted one, Virtually none of the sti's that are here are affected :) (and he had 4 in stock, and 2 demo's..none of which were in the range of vin numbers. he actually said it hadnt bothered sales much at all, production of these models is running so smoothly that even after all the cars they had to put on hold simply delayed delivery by 3-4 weeks.)

oh and i am taking one for a spin on friday :D....
looks hot in white...

rusole21
16th April 2008, 04:12 PM
ahahahaha..OMG! somebody is on fire:p

I used to hate subarus in the 90`s...their engines sounded like shit.

Hey Suby dude, Im not saying Subarus are crap because they sounded bad in the 90`s.

No your not saying that at all.:rolleyes:

I think you ears and your head are a bit twisted and biased because u own one fugly subaru forester. my mate owns one of them and they are the ugliest thing around but they are nice to drive. I dont give a shit about their engine, they look very bad( except for the liberty)...and so does the new subaru impreza.. the AH is a much better looking car in my opinion.

Time to lock this thread and one suby owner is about to explode...lol
I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Each to their own regards looks. Just think before you say crap. Then you wont say it.

Apex
16th April 2008, 04:58 PM
Wriath, the main brisbane dealer told me he would hand the keys to me that day if i wanted one, Virtually none of the sti's that are here are affected :) (and he had 4 in stock, and 2 demo's..none of which were in the range of vin numbers. he actually said it hadnt bothered sales much at all, production of these models is running so smoothly that even after all the cars they had to put on hold simply delayed delivery by 3-4 weeks.)

looks hot in white...

Mandatory Pictures, I have only seen one in gun metal so far and it looked shit hot!

Oh did I mention my Astra handles 10 times better than a WRX..It does because I says it does. :D

USC
16th April 2008, 05:22 PM
No your not saying that at all.:rolleyes:

I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Each to their own regards looks. Just think before you say crap. Then you wont say it.

nothing that I said was crap. I expressed my opinion only...does not mean someone else will not find the forester or wrx attractive.

I love liberties..gimme one anyday..:D

USC
16th April 2008, 05:24 PM
Mandatory Pictures, I have only seen one in gun metal so far and it looked shit hot!

Oh did I mention my Astra handles 10 times better than a WRX..It does because I says it does. :D

im sorry but i seriously doubt that it will handle betta than a 4wd...ahaha

sooty
16th April 2008, 06:01 PM
I was saying astra diesels where crap as an example. All i am saying is that yes this is a public forum with peoples "opinions" but when peoples opinions are based upon something incredibly stupid then those opinions are wrong. I wasnt saying that the astra diesel is crap for any other reason other to show that stupid statements are crap, and wrong. I happen to like the astra diesel. Not so much the shape of the AH because of the rear ingress due to the positioning of the door handle compared to the edge of the door. The rear door nearly hits ya in the head when you open it with the handle.

The thing i find annoying is that poeple stand by their purchases till the death because they spent alot of money on it and feel the need to justify it. I mean how many people dreamt when they where younger about gettin an Astra or Vecra? Doesnt mean they arent good cars but please gve credit where credit is due!

I know, and you make valid points.
Everyone is gonna have their opinion, and some will be more factually based through research or personal experience, others will be just an opinion.
Now...remember kiddies...
Fighting on the computer is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded :p

Wraith
16th April 2008, 09:01 PM

looks hot in white...

Sounds good BR, please let us know what you think and how it drives/feels etc. I know you'll be impressed :)

It does look hot in white from pics I've seen...

So far I've seen silver, blue and red in the flesh, I love the silver and the red looked hot too :)

Sure would be nice to have a new vehicle for daily use you don't have to do much or anything at all to - to have stonking performance and all the creature comforts and interior kit and almost perfect practicality for a reasonable price too, well for me anyway :)

USC
16th April 2008, 10:39 PM
Sure would be nice to have a new vehicle for daily use you don't have to do much or anything at all to - to have stonking performance and all the creature comforts and interior kit and almost perfect practicality for a reasonable price too, well for me anyway :)

How sweet...;)

poita
13th May 2008, 02:29 PM
http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/motoring-news/story/knocking_chop_for_subaru/?from=CG_email

Deliveries of 2.5-litre turbocharged Subarus have resumed after isolated incidents of engine knocking noise.
The Subaru Technical Department has introduced a diagnostic test produced by the factory to identify cars with symptoms and the procedure was rolled out nationwide last week.

After investigating, Subaru determined the engine noise was due to engine wear.

Subaru Australia spokesman David Rowley says priority is being given to vehicles already with customers and customer vehicles awaiting delivery.

“Our customer relations department has proactively reacted to this issue,” he says.

Subaru is this week phoning and writing to owners of the 178 vehicles potentially affected.

Their cars are being booked into dealerships for a precautionary check at Subaru Australia's expense.

Any customers whose vehicle produces engine-knocking noise will be offered a loan car until their vehicles can be checked and fixed where necessary.

- Herald Sun

btm
13th May 2008, 02:57 PM
hasnt been any bad press at all about it that i've seen

well handled by subaru it appears

Wraith
13th May 2008, 03:16 PM
hasnt been any bad press at all about it that i've seen

well handled by subaru it appears

+1

Well done indeed :) although as mentioned, it appears to have affected only a very small number of cars...

hmmmm, I could just imagine how a similar situation would be handled by GMH :rolleyes:

blueraven
13th May 2008, 05:15 PM
on the forums i frequent, only 6 cars in the USA have been found to be affected, and 2 cars in australia...(these arent exactly fact, because i read it on the internet ;) )

not bad considering it was thousands of cars in the batch.

poita
13th May 2008, 11:08 PM
yes subaru have done very very well, myabe all others out tehre should take note

Wraith
14th May 2008, 09:59 AM
on the forums i frequent, only 6 cars in the USA have been found to be affected, and 2 cars in australia...(these arent exactly fact, because i read it on the internet ;) )

not bad considering it was thousands of cars in the batch.

All's good :)

BR on a more positive note - what have ya done to yours, if anything yet ???

I know your just hanging for an extra 60kw just with a flash tune :D

What a stealth weapon you've then got yourself :)

blueraven
14th May 2008, 10:54 AM
More like 40kw with juats a flash, need a full exhaust for 60+ :)

not yet, chiptorque on the goldcoast want to use my car to develop the maps for their ezyflash unit...i get a free module out of it and tuning :)

Wraith
14th May 2008, 11:40 AM
More like 40kw with juats a flash, need a full exhaust for 60+ :)

not yet, chiptorque on the goldcoast want to use my car to develop the maps for their ezyflash unit...i get a free module out of it and tuning :)

Sounds like a good idea, 40kw just from the flash is still AWESOME, considering you'll probably also get a 60-100nm torque hike as well :)