Fine: $132
Demerit Points: 2

Australian Road Rules Rule 141 (1)

Dee
8th April 2008, 03:21 PM
did you get done Brinie?

oneightoo
8th April 2008, 03:23 PM
you mean undertaking? where you overtake the car in the right lane by going faster on the left? overtaking an overtaking car?

only thing id say is illegal about it exceeding the speed limit..

Ice
8th April 2008, 03:27 PM
well its common sense isnt it although there is always some muppet going real slow in the far right lane. You could alwasy argue in a court of law the the driver in the right hand land was driving reclessly and you had to overtake ont he right.

oneightoo
8th April 2008, 03:28 PM
well its common sense isnt it although there is always some muppet going real slow in the far right lane. You could alwasy argue in a court of law the the driver in the right hand land was driving reclessly and you had to overtake ont he right.

you'd get nowhere with that arguement..

Calibrated
8th April 2008, 03:31 PM
wtf... so if the guy in the right hand lane is going slower than you (assuming both within the speedlimit) and you pass him in the left lane.. you get fined?

thats a pile of bullshit.. big wet smelly bullshit.

btm
8th April 2008, 03:32 PM
did you get done Brinie?

nope :)

was just bored at work and flicking through the demerit points offences

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index.cgi?fuseaction=demeritpoints.browsehandler&category=&offence=&SubmitButton.x=45&SubmitButton.y=4

Dee
8th April 2008, 03:34 PM

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index.cgi?fuseaction=demeritpoints.browsehandler&category=&offence=&SubmitButton.x=45&SubmitButton.y=4

as you do ;)

good work Birnie

Vectracious
8th April 2008, 03:37 PM
I think the Keep Left unless overtaking recommendation only applies to roads with a speed limit of more than 70/80km/h (or at least here in victoria) - otherwise I don't think you can get done for sitting in the right lane on a 60km/h road....

btm
8th April 2008, 03:45 PM
I think the Keep Left unless overtaking recommendation only applies to roads with a speed limit of more than 70/80km/h (or at least here in victoria) - otherwise I don't think you can get done for sitting in the right lane on a 60km/h road....

80km/h in NSW

KEEPING LEFT

Drive in right lane on road with speed-limit over 80 km/h
Fine: $238
Demerit Points: 3

btm
8th April 2008, 03:48 PM
and what's the difference between an aggravated burnout and just a burnout??

NEGLIGENT DRIVING
Aggravated burnout
Fine: $609
Demerit Points:

NEGLIGENT DRIVING
Burnout
Fine: $477

Dee
8th April 2008, 03:49 PM
and what's the difference between an aggravated burnout and just a burnout??

NEGLIGENT DRIVING
Aggravated burnout
Fine: $609
Demerit Points:

NEGLIGENT DRIVING
Burnout
Fine: $477

would aggrevated have something to do with crowd participation... or the fact you are racing and screech of the line...?

btm
8th April 2008, 03:51 PM
and how about this one!! :eek:

NEGLIGENT DRIVING
Stand vehicle with speed evasion article
Fine: $1245
Demerit Points: 9

Vectracious
8th April 2008, 03:51 PM
LOL - bored btm?? :p :D

btm
8th April 2008, 03:52 PM
as you do ;)

good work Birnie

desperate times calls for desperate measures :p

Dee
8th April 2008, 03:52 PM
and how about this one!! :eek:

NEGLIGENT DRIVING
Stand vehicle with speed evasion article
Fine: $1245
Demerit Points: 9

please explain...

btm
8th April 2008, 03:53 PM
please explain...

does it mean having a radar detector?

Dee
8th April 2008, 03:55 PM
the "stand vehicle" part means to park i guess....
"with speed evasion article" = NFI

SSS_Hoon
8th April 2008, 04:05 PM
yep and its also illegal to turn left from the right lane *cough cough* not that i know or anything.

Some very funny laws out there.

Like did u know that when pulling out from a car park you are meant to have your blinker on for at least 5 seconds before even moving.

SSS_Hoon

btm
8th April 2008, 04:12 PM
Like did u know that when pulling out from a car park you are meant to have your blinker on for at least 5 seconds before even moving.
yep, not just out of car parks though... its everytime you need to indicate!

SIGNALS WHEN DRIVING
Give left change of direction signal (less than 5 seconds)

Give right change of direction signal (less than 5 seconds)

btm
8th April 2008, 04:13 PM
the "stand vehicle" part means to park i guess....
"with speed evasion article" = NFI

maybe it means parking your car before a cop with speed camera with a big sign saying "SLOW DOWN - Radar ahead"

maybe that's the 'article' they are talking about :p

SSS_Hoon
8th April 2008, 04:14 PM
if every single copper booked ppl everytime one of these little money grabbing laws were broken they would need a lifetime just to do all the paperwork for them all.

SSS_Hoon

Dee
8th April 2008, 04:15 PM
maybe it means parking your car before a cop with speed camera with a big sign saying "SLOW DOWN - Radar ahead"

they'd get pretty pissed about that

that'd be worth 9 points

guy 27
8th April 2008, 04:18 PM

I have made plenty of signs in the past and stood behind the speed camera when they used to park outside my house.
Only once was i told to move so i just put the sign up a further 100 meters up the road. He didn't want to leave his car to take it down.:)

Wraith
8th April 2008, 04:32 PM
Well in NSW anyway...

OVERTAKING

Overtake to left of vehicle

Australian Road Rules Rule 141 (1)

Is this for real ??

So if your on a 3 or 4 or 5 lane freeway and overtake someone else on the left side you get a fine ???

Or is it only for exclusive cases ???

Calibrated
8th April 2008, 04:38 PM
I have made plenty of signs in the past and stood behind the speed camera when they used to park outside my house.
Only once was i told to move so i just put the sign up a further 100 meters up the road. He didn't want to leave his car to take it down.:)
every time i see them parked with the sign after the camera, i want to stop beat them over the head with their sign, and place it 800m ahead of the camera...

i wonder what the fine is for that?

btm
8th April 2008, 04:44 PM
Is this for real ??

So if your on a 3 or 4 or 5 lane freeway and overtake someone else on the left side you get a fine ???

Or is it only for exclusive cases ???

it doesnt go into details... just that's illegal

chrissn89
8th April 2008, 06:35 PM
What about peek hour traffic and you undertake someone thats in the right hand lane, due to the right hand lane not moving and yours (the left hand lane) is. go figure, i hope thats no illegal. Cause i dont have any points left

immenotu
8th April 2008, 06:46 PM
Id guess it would be the same as the 'keep left unless overtaking' and only apply to high speed roads. If you get fined for undertaking in the city id probably get done hundreds of times a week.

I use the left hand lane to skip traffic a lot, and ive even had unmarked cop cars do the same thing right behind me and nothing was done.

bornwild
8th April 2008, 06:59 PM
It kind of makes sense to only overtake on the right hand lane, doesn't it?

There is also laws stating that:
-when changing from right lane to left lane, the guy in the left lane needs to let you go and in case you hit him he is at fault
-when changing from left lane to right lane you have to let right lane cars go and if accident occurs you're at fault

As for the left lane 'overtaking' rule, it makes sense. Why would you overtake on the left lane when there is going to be another even slower car on that very same lane?! It's not very safe.

poita
8th April 2008, 07:06 PM
wat it actually means is if you on a single lane road, and a vehicle is turning right if you 'undertake' them on the left, into a bicyclle lane of what ever, it is illegal.
lady at work, her son failed his drivers licence test for this reason.

chrissn89
8th April 2008, 07:06 PM
Id guess it would be the same as the 'keep left unless overtaking' and only apply to high speed roads. If you get fined for undertaking in the city id probably get done hundreds of times a week.

I use the left hand lane to skip traffic a lot, and ive even had unmarked cop cars do the same thing right behind me and nothing was done.

I gues youve neva been on the Ipswich motor way, its a 90km/h dual carriage way, 2 lanes, and every morning and arvo, its grid lock trafic. Oh i was only joking about my previous comment

immenotu
8th April 2008, 07:08 PM
It kind of makes sense to only overtake on the right hand lane, doesn't it?...As for the left lane 'overtaking' rule, it makes sense. Why would you overtake on the left lane when there is going to be another even slower car on that very same lane?! It's not very safe.

Makes complete sense on the highway, but not in city traffic (im talking newcastle not sydney, so its not gridlock). If everyone followed that rule in the city the roads would be a nightmare, it just wouldn't work.

Same as the rule that when you stop at traffic lights, you are supposed to leave a 3 car length? distance between you and the car infront, but turning lanes arent designed to cope with it so everyone stops close to each other.

immenotu
8th April 2008, 07:10 PM
I gues youve neva been on the Ipswich motor way, its a 90km/h dual carriage way, 2 lanes, and every morning and arvo, its grid lock trafic. Oh i was only joking about my previous comment

lol, yeah i got the joke :) We dont really have gridlock in Newcastle so I dont have that problem.

poita
8th April 2008, 07:14 PM
the only gridlock in Newy is the road out :p

immenotu
8th April 2008, 07:18 PM
the only gridlock in Newy is the road out :p

is there a road out? :p

poita
8th April 2008, 07:22 PM
i could always find it :p

chrissn89
8th April 2008, 07:43 PM
lol, yeah i got the joke :) We dont really have gridlock in Newcastle so I dont have that problem.

Good good, i wish i lived in Newcastle, well worked there anyway, where i live the town only has a population of about 3000ppls so theres really no traffic problems, only in Brisbane QLD were we do most of our work :(

bornwild
8th April 2008, 07:51 PM
Same as the rule that when you stop at traffic lights, you are supposed to leave a 3 car length? distance between you and the car infront, but turning lanes arent designed to cope with it so everyone stops close to each other.

Isn't it so that you can just see the rear tires of the car in front??

Yeahh well I doubt that the left overtaking rule applies anywhere but freeways...or anywhere where the speeds are lower than, say 80kph or whatever.

MatsHolden
8th April 2008, 07:53 PM
wat it actually means is if you on a single lane road, and a vehicle is turning right if you 'undertake' them on the left, into a bicyclle lane of what ever, .

That's it.

bornwild
8th April 2008, 08:00 PM
That's it.

hehe I do that all the time

ps. on private property of course

Skribble
8th April 2008, 08:04 PM
every time i see them parked with the sign after the camera, i want to stop beat them over the head with their sign, and place it 800m ahead of the camera...

i wonder what the fine is for that?

Ahh, found it.

NEGLIGENT SPEED CAMERA WARNING
Disrupting officers duties with the use of a speed warning article and the repositioning of said article 800m before dead officer's camera
Fine: $1920
Jailtime: 6 Months (If caught)
Demerit Points: 37

bornwild
8th April 2008, 08:08 PM
37 demerit points ahhahahahahhaha

That's a freaking joke

Skribble
8th April 2008, 08:15 PM
37 demerit points ahhahahahahhaha

That's a freaking joke

Haha, yeah it seems that rather than never let you get your licence again they'd rather you got your licence, and lost it immediately... 14 times.

poita
8th April 2008, 08:27 PM
or 3.1 times if you have 12 pts like me :D

Skribble
8th April 2008, 08:31 PM
Haha, totally couldn't be bothered doing actual maths just then, pulled a number out of my ass.

rjastra
9th April 2008, 01:40 PM
anyone READ the actual regulation??

141 No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a
vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless:

(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle
can be safely overtaken in a marked laneto the left of the
vehicle; or

(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U–turn from the
centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction
signal.

It refers to people passing to the left when there isn't a lane marked for it :)

EL BURITO
9th April 2008, 01:44 PM

do u ever do any work

btm
9th April 2008, 01:52 PM
do u ever do any work

sometimes... it depends

EL BURITO
9th April 2008, 02:43 PM
sometimes... it depends
shocking

btm
9th April 2008, 02:51 PM
shocking

sometimes i'm crazy busy and doing 14 hour days, other times i'm not and i'll be having long lunches and out the door before 5pm

it all depends on the market

oneightoo
9th April 2008, 03:16 PM
shocking

i smell jealousy :p

poita
9th April 2008, 03:27 PM
im bloody jealous 182 lol