PDA

View Full Version : launch techniques

tofo
8th July 2004, 03:02 PM
I had my first time running the 1/4 last night @ Willowbank and would like to know how you guys get off the line. I tried launching with and without TC on. TC on slowed me down too much but TC off resulted in plenty of wheel spin.

So any thoughts on how to get the best launch?

Mr T
8th July 2004, 04:09 PM
TC off for sure, more revs = more boost = more power, thats the theory anyway.
Slowly apply the thottle, in my car i cannot use full thottle in 1st if I dont want wheel spin, try to get the clutch out between 2,000 and 2,500 but with about 1/2 - 3/4 thottle, then slowly give it some more if the wheels dont spin too much, then nail every gear after that.

what time did you get anyway?

mr_astra_retired
8th July 2004, 04:12 PM
When i ran down the grag strip i tried both traction on and off , i got my quickest time with traction OFF. As the track is very grippy anyways if you ride the clutch a bit you will launch real hard with no wheel spin.

Mr T
8th July 2004, 04:14 PM
oh, forgot, make sure you spool up the turbo before the launch. If you dont, it'll provide a suden surge in boost halfway though pulling out the clutch and result in @#$%loads of wheel spin. :lol:

Mr T
8th July 2004, 04:26 PM
ASTRA Sri Turbo
3 inch Zorst.. Bailey BOV.. Lowered .. K&N .. Opelised
14.559 @ 94Mph WSID

Hey isn't that 1/100th's faster than a Ford FPV GT-P.
how many runs do you get at WSID, I haven't been there yet, and how much does it cost, what do you need to bring etc.

RK
8th July 2004, 04:35 PM
floor the accelerator and sit back.

(yeah :( mines an auto)

mr_astra_retired
8th July 2004, 04:41 PM
ASTRA Sri Turbo
3 inch Zorst.. Bailey BOV.. Lowered .. K&N .. Opelised
14.559 @ 94Mph WSID

Hey isn't that 1/100th's faster than a Ford FPV GT-P.
how many runs do you get at WSID, I haven't been there yet, and how much does it cost, what do you need to bring etc.

I also revved the car to 2000rpm before take off .....

Not sure bout the FPV times

Ive done about 6-8 runs from memory and that was on two occasions

Cost is $45 from memory and you need long pants , long shirt/jumper and a Aus standards helmet , also take your rego papers and licence , this proves that its your car , they dont want any company cars goin down the strip etc :wink:

Jass
8th July 2004, 05:25 PM
I got my best time from slipping the clutch from around 2500rpm and really easing it in from second to third. Otherwise major wheel spin