PDA

View Full Version : Nation's most expensive car sells, $920,000

btm
4th April 2008, 11:12 AM
:eek: And its a holden...

Nation's most expensive car sells, $920,000

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23482671-421,00.html

A HOLDEN Monaro has become the most expensive Australian car after selling for $920,000 - to a bloke wearing shorts and thongs.

The HRT 427 was one of two built in 2002 to showcase Holden and HSV's engineering prowess.

The other is in Holden's concept car collection and is not for sale.

It was bought by a Queensland building industry figure who wants only to be known as "Chooka".

Hearing on the grapevine that Sydney car dealer Classic Throttle Shop was selling the car, he arrived last week for a test drive in shorts and thongs, then purchased it.

The vehicle features carbon-fibre fittings, a 417kW 7.0L V8 and race brakes to haul it down from a top speed of 299km/h. It was built to rival Porsche's track-focused 911 GT2.

"I'm a Monaro fanatic," Chooka confided. "I've got 20 of them, from the first ones in 1968 through to the last one in 2006.

"All are in pristine, low-mileage original condition - so I had to have the HRT 427 to add to my collection.

"These don't grow on trees. As far as I'm concerned it's priceless."

Classic Throttle Shop's Chris Bowden described it as a million-dollar car because of its top-shelf specification and rarity.

"He beat us down a bit, but everyone finished up happy with the price," Mr Bowden said.

The previous record was $750,000 for a Ford Falcon 1971 GTHO Phase III, sold last June.

And Australia's most expensive car ever made is housed in a country garage and up for sale for $1.2m

oneightoo
4th April 2008, 11:14 AM
i read this this morning..

was gonna post it on here but thought, "nahhh, birnie will do that" :p

SSS_Hoon
4th April 2008, 11:23 AM
so he jsut bought it and now got it up for sale for 1.2m? is that the car they are talking about with that bit at the bottom?

SSS_Hoon

btm
4th April 2008, 11:24 AM
so he jsut bought it and now got it up for sale for 1.2m? is that the car they are talking about with that bit at the bottom?

SSS_Hoon
nope.

AN old black Holden garaged at a country NSW dealership for years is set to become the most expensive car ever made in Australia.

It is up for sale for $1.2 million - the owner has already knocked back an offer for $900,000.

The 60-year-old Holden, No.46 of only 112 sold in 1948 - the year the first Holden was made in Australia - is believed to be one of three still around.

The owner, Canowindra car dealer Charlie McCarron, said experts had described his car as "the first Holden that will make a million dollars".

Mr McCarron said he had been contacted by an agent for an overseas buyer who offered $900,000 but the offer had been rejected.

"I really want what I'm after ($1.2 million) for it," he said. And he would prefer a local buyer, saying: "I wouldn't like to see it go out of the country."

The car was originally known as a 48-215 Holden but the model has become more commonly called the FX.

They sold new for pound stg. 733 back in 1948. Mr McCarron bought his car second hand for $575 in 1970.

His car has deluxe options, while the other cars known to exist are standard.

What's the difference? For an extra pound stg. 10 the car gained leather trim, safety wheel rims and a passenger's sun visor.

It only has 21,000 miles (35,000km) on the clock and has had an interesting life, including several TV appearances.

Racing legend Peter Brock drove it on a parade lap before his last Bathurst 1000 race in 2004.

Mr McCarron said it was the last car Brock drove at a Bathurst 1000, as Brock's race car was crashed by his co-driver before he could drive it that day.

"Peter Brock told me after he drove it, 'I never thought I would ever have the opportunity of driving an as-new 48 Holden'," Mr McCarron said.

He said the car still ran well and had its original spark plug leads.

The tools, jack, hand pump and handbook are still there and the interior still smells like new.

It had a 2.15-litre, six-cylinder engine with 45kW of power. Today's six-cylinder Commodore has 172kW.

More than 120,000 FXs were made until 1953, when the FJ took over.

The other cars are owned by Holden (No.6) and Melbourne enthusiast Phil Munday (No.19).

The $1.2 million price betters the $1 million price a 1971 Ford Falcon GT-HO owner has been asking for his car.

The official record price for an Australian-made production car still stands at $683,000 for a GT-HO bought at auction in Sydney last year.

SSS_Hoon
4th April 2008, 11:28 AM
Oh ok that makes sense now.

Would still prefer a real GTHO Phase III though that is for sure actually the Phase IV would be nice but not sure if any still exist.

Cosworth 500 twin turbo would be also interesting to own.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
4th April 2008, 11:52 AM
Damn, why didn't they build 2 of those TT36 Torana concepts :(

Then they're would be one of those up for grabs...

blueraven
4th April 2008, 02:35 PM
what...a...waste...of.....money.

That is all :).

btm
4th April 2008, 02:52 PM

just like this below was a waste of money...? now worth est $1m :rolleyes:

Mr McCarron bought his car second hand for $575 in 1970.

Wraith
4th April 2008, 02:53 PM

Agree, could find soooo much better in the car World to spend that kind of dosh on....but each to his own - ie: if you've actually got the dosh :)

Vectracious
4th April 2008, 03:12 PM
The guy is a CUB

Cashed Up Bogan. ;)

Huhness
4th April 2008, 03:56 PM
What a POS.....

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2484.html

btm
4th April 2008, 04:03 PM
What a POS.....

why?

Wraith
4th April 2008, 04:42 PM
What a POS.....

Each to his own !!!

BTW the car is definitely not a POS....it was designed to be able to run with the best of them on road or track and it is capable of just that...

What is hard to swallow is the price, at least to that owner, he has an almost unique one off piece of Aussie motoring history and by all indications of what's happening with Aussie muscle cars, he may very well also have an excellent investment that'll multiply in value in years to come ;)

Huhness
4th April 2008, 04:45 PM
I'm sure it goes great but looks like a POS. Not worth almost $1million.. says in the article HSV/HRT were going to price them at $215,000.

Wraith
4th April 2008, 05:08 PM
I'm sure it goes great but looks like a POS. Not worth almost $1million.. says in the article HSV/HRT were going to price them at $215,000.

Correct, that is the envisaged price 'had' they produced the planned 200 car production run, calculated to pay off the entire program with whatever profit margins...

BUT seeing they only built 2 of em, that price is substantiated to some extent !!!

As for looks some may like it, some not ;)

btm
4th April 2008, 05:08 PM
says in the article HSV/HRT were going to price them at $215,000.
but that's in mass productions (well minimum 50)

this is one of two

sooty
4th April 2008, 05:34 PM
If you just want the LS7, supply a clubsport + $35k to CSV and they'll sort it out for you. For that price they also upgrade suspension and brakes from memory :D

xplosv57
4th April 2008, 06:13 PM
Hmm the 427 is a nice car, don't think it's worth the 900k paid, this actual car isn't the full race version either, doesn't have some of the race bits which are seen on the other car which Holden owns!!!!

MatsHolden
4th April 2008, 06:36 PM
Loved this when they did it. Looked so much better than HSV's production versions of the Monaro with the GTO and GTS.

KID_SRi
4th April 2008, 07:25 PM
Would still prefer a real GTHO Phase III though that is for sure actually the Phase IV would be nice but not sure if any still exist.

Glad to see I ain't the Only Phase III Lover Here.
And theres only 3 Phase IV Left out of 5 Built, 1 got written off in a Rally in the Early 80's & another came off a Trailer being towed by a Commodore.
Out of the Remaining 3. 2 are Privately owned in QLD & NSW & the other is Supposedly in Ford Storage(Alan Moffat's Private Collection)

poita
4th April 2008, 07:33 PM
john laws no doubtly has one of those falcons!

900k+ for it, hmmm only 2 exist.
it kinda makes sense