PDA

View Full Version : Bush Pigs

PaulyJ
1st April 2008, 04:05 PM
Read this article in the Herald Sun today...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/paulyj/cops.jpg

Noir
1st April 2008, 04:13 PM
Good on them.

If you speed you pay the consequences. Simple.

btm
1st April 2008, 04:14 PM
i thought they couldnt be hidden?

Snotty
1st April 2008, 04:21 PM
Good on them.

damn straight, do the crime do the time, they make valid points as to why they can police the road in the normal fashion.

poita
1st April 2008, 04:21 PM
thats bullshit, but its still not revenue raising i bet!!!

USC
1st April 2008, 04:22 PM
hmm...interesting job!

rjastra
1st April 2008, 04:31 PM
Very easy to fix.... report them to the government OH&S body. If its like NSW then Police are require to wear high visibility vests when doing radar/rbt away from their cars. :)

Wraith
1st April 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm not one to pat coppers on the back - BUT if those hoons were up to no good idiotic and dangerous behaviour, then it serves em right :mad: however if it's just a fine gaining excecise, well hmmmm...

glider
1st April 2008, 04:35 PM
Very easy to fix.... report them to the government OH&S body. If its like NSW then Police are require to wear high visibility vests when doing radar/rbt away from their cars. :)

i'd rather the cops be out catching those people rather than the people who sit 65-70 in the 60 zone...

KID_SRi
1st April 2008, 05:00 PM
Good on them.

Darn Tootin ;)

This has been setup to catch Motorcyclists. Theres been alot of Deaths in the Spurs involving Bikes, Mostly Hi-Po Japanese & Italian(Chucked that in for Rhino) coming off in Reefton.
Simple, Catch them before they Kill themselves &/or others in anyway possible.

poita
1st April 2008, 05:36 PM
but why hide?
hiding from them isnt catching them, hiding from them is revenue raising.
if they wanted to catch them they would set up road blocks, have visible signs of police patroliing the areas.
if you are doin over the speed limit, and you see a radar gun/camera/van/car watever you slow down. its a natural thing.
but if they are hiding in the bushes then as i said, its just revenue raising, its not actively showing force in the area.
i applaud the police for trying to slow ppl down in dangerous areas, but ffs hidin in camo gear aint gonna do shit!! /rant

oh btw, is it just another april fools article.
cauae im sure there are plenty around today!

bornwild
1st April 2008, 05:56 PM
but why hide?
hiding from them isnt catching them, hiding from them is revenue raising.
if they wanted to catch them they would set up road blocks, have visible signs of police patroliing the areas.
if you are doin over the speed limit, and you see a radar gun/camera/van/car watever you slow down. its a natural thing.
but if they are hiding in the bushes then as i said, its just revenue raising, its not actively showing force in the area.
i applaud the police for trying to slow ppl down in dangerous areas, but ffs hidin in camo gear aint gonna do shit!! /rant

oh btw, is it just another april fools article.
cauae im sure there are plenty around today!

Completely agree with you. Police are utter ****wits. Someone could go flying past that guy and kill himself on the next corner because he was too fast. Whereas, if he had seen the copper he would slow down and live. Just an example scenario. ****wits traffic police.

MatsHolden
1st April 2008, 06:10 PM
Completely agree with you. Police are utter ****wits. Someone could go flying past that guy and kill himself on the next corner because he was too fast. Whereas, if he had seen the copper he would slow down and live. Just an example scenario. ****wits traffic police.

So you're going to have a visible cop on every corner? Yes they'll slow down when they see the cop, but once they get passed it's straight back on the accelerator again. So unlees you have a cop on every corner... Before you call them all **** heads, why don't you go out to a MVA with them and have to unwrap a young kid from around a dash board...

However, fair enough they are targeting the motorcyclists out there because there's been some shockers out that way. But it's a great road to have a spirited drive which will now be spoilt.

immenotu
1st April 2008, 06:12 PM
...Someone could go flying past that guy and kill himself on the next corner because he was too fast. Whereas, if he had seen the copper he would slow down and live. Just an example scenario. ****wits traffic police.

But if they saw the police, they would slow down for about 3 or 4 corners then speed back up again and still possibly kill themselves. Seeing cops or any speed camera for that matter only slows drivers down until they are out of sight of the camera.

I think it is good that they are trying to slow down the riders on a dangerous road, but why cant the cops just stand there like they normally do in the hi-visibility vests and catch the speeders? The only reason to hide would be to raise more revenue.

bornwild
1st April 2008, 06:16 PM
But if they saw the police, they would slow down for about 3 or 4 corners then speed back up again and still possibly kill themselves. Seeing cops or any speed camera for that matter only slows drivers down until they are out of sight of the camera.

Not seeing them doesn't slow them down at all.

Now what logic makes this a better option????????

MatsHolden
1st April 2008, 06:18 PM

But now they know they are out there hiding, then it hopefully will get in the majority of the riders minds that they could be ANYWHERE, hence slowing down without the police being visible.

immenotu
1st April 2008, 06:20 PM

Where did I say not seeing them was a better option :confused:

Im saying that seeing them wont have much of an effect for saving lives in the example you gave. As I said, I agree that the cops should be visible.

bornwild
1st April 2008, 06:20 PM
Before you call them all **** heads, why don't you go out to a MVA with them and have to unwrap a young kid from around a dash board...

Exactly what I'm saying. Cops aren't doing anything to prevent this happening!!!!! They're profiting on those young lives that are lost and being lost.

If I was a copper I certainly wouldn't hide behind a bush. I'd wear a green high visibility vest and put up signs 400m before my checkpoint that there is a speed-camera ahead. Now this would save lives.

bornwild
1st April 2008, 06:24 PM
But now they know they are out there hiding, then it hopefully will get in the majority of the riders minds that they could be ANYWHERE, hence slowing down without the police being visible.

If they were lucky enough to grab a copy of the Herald Sun.

Where did I say not seeing them was a better option :confused:

Im saying that seeing them wont have much of an effect for saving lives in the example you gave. As I said, I agree that the cops should be visible.

Was more aimed towards matsholden.

But yeah, as you said. It is up to each driver to drive responsibly and no matter how many speed-cameras or what-not you have it is up to everyone to fight for their own life.

This is nothing but Darwin's "survival of the fittest" in full swing.

I just think that this kind of propaganda for the Police is utter bullshit, even though it's aimed at hoon motorcyclists. Educate them, then punish them.

MatsHolden
1st April 2008, 06:36 PM
If they were lucky enough to grab a copy of the Herald Sun.

This will spread like wild fire through the riding community. Wouldn't need a Herald Sun to know about it.

imay
1st April 2008, 06:53 PM
Good on them.

Ditto!

sooty
1st April 2008, 07:04 PM
Other than the 2-3 straights through the spur a car would be lucky to clock over 100km/h (speed limit for those interstaters who didn't know)...so it's not really a problem for those who drive,
I'm sure the riders enjoy the road just as much if not more than we do. But as with everything, there's a select few who ruin it for everyone else. I've nearly had a head on with one who was going so fast a bump in the road caused his bike to jump off the ground and into the opposing lane (where i was)

Will this deter them...maybe...for 2 weeks...

poita
1st April 2008, 08:41 PM
born calling them ****wits is not on man.
i agree they have gone about it the wrong way, but that was all that needed to be said.

bornwild
1st April 2008, 08:43 PM
born calling them ****wits is not on man.

Tell that to the people who could have been saved and their family and friends. I was affected by this...

MatsHolden
1st April 2008, 08:45 PM
Tell that to the people who could have been saved and their family and friends. I was affected by this...

Whinge to the Government then. Not the cops on the ground.

bornwild
1st April 2008, 08:46 PM
Whinge to the Government then. Not the cops on the ground.

I am whinging about the Police as an institution not the cops personally...obviously they're doing what they're told.

poita
1st April 2008, 08:47 PM
so when someone breaks into your car, assaults you, ransacks your house i guess you'll have to call some other '****wits'
people who carry on like you dont deserve the help from police.

SKM_87
1st April 2008, 09:11 PM
is it me or are most of the hoon motorbike riders you know (the ones i do anyway) are just going to nail it if a cop tries to chase them??? they are on a bike, try hard enough and no cops going to get you, but most dont know the limit of hard enough and end up too hard , generely into some form of object and thus just defeting the purpose the cops set out to do.

bornwild
1st April 2008, 09:13 PM
is it me or are most of the hoon motorbike riders you know (the ones i do anyway) are just going to nail it if a cop tries to chase them??? they are on a bike, try hard enough and no cops going to get you, but most dont know the limit of hard enough and end up too hard , generely into some form of object and thus just defeting the purpose the cops set out to do.

If they're idiotic enough...Regos are always useful.

MatsHolden
1st April 2008, 09:15 PM
If they're idiotic enough...Regos are always useful.

If you've got good eyes. lol

sooty
1st April 2008, 09:18 PM
I wonder if, whilst trying to watch a motorbikes rego, if it's possible to snap your own neck from turning your head so quick lol :confused:

SKM_87
1st April 2008, 09:28 PM
If they're idiotic enough...

my point exactly, isnt this ment to be helping the idiots save themselfs

bornwild
1st April 2008, 09:35 PM
my point exactly, isnt this ment to be helping the idiots save themselfs

Yeah...it's meant to. Exactly what I was saying.

The entire concept of fining people for speeding in order to 'save' them is so wrong and non-functional.

GreyRex
2nd April 2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah...it's meant to. Exactly what I was saying.

The entire concept of fining people for speeding in order to 'save' them is so wrong and non-functional.

That's interesting. So you think it does not deter them at all?

Anyway interesting discussion

PaulyJ
2nd April 2008, 09:22 AM
Did you guys not read the part about a cop car waiting further down the road to stop those that were speeding?

Yeah they may not see the cop hiding in the bush, but they sure as hell will see the cop waiting for them with a ticket.

SKM_87
2nd April 2008, 09:45 AM
a select few yes,

bornwild
2nd April 2008, 11:10 AM
That's interesting. So you think it does not deter them at all?

Anyway interesting discussion

It'll probably deter people for a few days after they get the fine but then it's back to square one.

If you really want to stop people speeding then integrating GPS tech into cars and limiting their speed based on location is much simpler and cheaper and a hell of a lot more effective. Problem would be there is no opportunity to raise revenues.

jerrypufflewell
3rd April 2008, 07:48 PM
It'll probably deter people for a few days after they get the fine but then it's back to square one.

If you really want to stop people speeding then integrating GPS tech into cars and limiting their speed based on location is much simpler and cheaper and a hell of a lot more effective. Problem would be there is no opportunity to raise revenues.

Cheaper for whom? certainly not for manufacturers or government.

Also claiming that government is "revenue raising" by fining people for breaking the law is a dud argument, are they revenue raising when they fine someone for reckless driving, running a red light, drink driving and the many other common things that traffic cops police? I think you would agree they are not, but somehow you don't see the similarity between these situations.

I personally am very glad to see them being more sneaky, I think governments tend to rely too much on predictable measures such as fixed cameras and super-liminal highway patrol cars. They're there to enforce the law, not make you happy.

d.c.
3rd April 2008, 08:27 PM

1984?

I would pay what ever it cost to have that removed from my car.

bornwild
3rd April 2008, 08:56 PM
Cheaper for whom? certainly not for manufacturers or government.

Also claiming that government is "revenue raising" by fining people for breaking the law is a dud argument, are they revenue raising when they fine someone for reckless driving, running a red light, drink driving and the many other common things that traffic cops police? I think you would agree they are not, but somehow you don't see the similarity between these situations.

I personally am very glad to see them being more sneaky, I think governments tend to rely too much on predictable measures such as fixed cameras and super-liminal highway patrol cars. They're there to enforce the law, not make you happy.

Fining drink drivers, drugged drivers and obviously reckless drivers is ridiculous. They should be punished by taking away their licence for at least 2-5yrs depending on the magnitude of the offense and should do public service(ie. clean the streets, do road-work etc.). Oh...and take away their vehicle. Plus a public name and shame web-site.

And no, it's way cheaper integrating GPS chips. A GPS chip costs $1.50 and to program all the roads, freeways etc. into a standard nationwide chip would cost no more than couple of hundred thousand dollars. That's probably what the maintenance of speed cameras alone costs weekly in the entire AU.

1984?

I would pay what ever it cost to have that removed from my car.

Yeah...why? Why do you need to go more than 100kph?

Agreed, there'd be a certain fraction of the population doing such things and that'd be a criminal offense, same as chipping a playstation or whatever.

d.c.
3rd April 2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah...why? Why do you need to go more than 100kph?

Because the limit in SA is 110:)

Also I don't like the idea of a Government body or more likely a private organisation having the ability to know where I am all the time. Seems like a massive invasion of privacy and a bit ****ed up to me. I would much rather police hiding in the bushes.

poita
3rd April 2008, 10:49 PM
Did you guys not read the part about a cop car waiting further down the road to stop those that were speeding?

Yeah they may not see the cop hiding in the bush, but they sure as hell will see the cop waiting for them with a ticket.

i didnt read that actually, the article is a little hard to read
hurts my eyes :p

Dave
4th April 2008, 02:49 AM

Ill agree, The only chance theyd have is if 1 there on another bike, or 2 they have a copter.

Most of the riders i know dont even bother with Lagit number plates........