PDA

View Full Version : Dealers

ZC_74
19th March 2008, 09:29 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Right, I am absolutely f*cking filthy.

Some may have seen the Vectra thread but I am so riled I wanted to vent here. The front driver seatbelt buckle/clasp was not working properly. It was hard to make the belt stay in and sometimes it basically worked 'alright' and other days it was a painstaking effort to make it work. Admittingly, I never did see anything in there but was probably not looking for it. Anyway dropped the car off to a prominent Holden dealer here in Brisbane.

Picked up the car this afternoon and was told that there was a foreign object jammed in the buckle and would need to be replaced. I asked how much and was politely told $600. Most of that was taken up with the buckle itself.

Anyway, armed with the knowledge there was something in there I looked as soon as I jumped in the car and noticed that yes there was something in there but it looked like a 'paper' chewing gum wrapper.

Within the space of 5 minutes and with paperclip in hand, it is now out and the seatbelt is working fine again.

Another prime example of dealers.

MK
19th March 2008, 09:52 PM
send a copy of this post and the paper clip you used to recover the foreign object, to holden customer service or better yet, their technical head office :)

tuzinski
19th March 2008, 09:56 PM
send a copy of this post and the paper clip you used to recover the foreign object, to holden customer service or better yet, their technical head office :)
and they will contact you and tell you your warranty is now void (if you have it) :p

nicecar
19th March 2008, 10:49 PM
and they will contact you and tell you your warranty is now void (if you have it) :p

They will tell you the paper clip wasn't Holden approved voiding the warranty and they can sell you one for $600 ;)

USC
19th March 2008, 10:55 PM
STEALERS! glad u fixed it though mate!

Wraith
20th March 2008, 08:37 AM
STEALERS! glad u fixed it though mate!

+1

It's like the time around 3 years ago, I went to a GMH service department to gain info on removing the rear inner card/panels on my vert and got told the whole vert roof needed to come off ??? and that there was a special tool to do this job ??? and that this special tool was supplied to owners ??? and should be in my glovebox ??? WTF are these people on FFS ??? !!! :mad: they seriously live on another planet, none of the above is true, what a f#*#*#g joke......

Truly pathetic isn't it ?? :rolleyes: I don't think we'll ever stop hearing of cases like this....good and proper and knowledgeable and competent GMH dealers are few are far between unfortunately....

Slimcraigie
20th March 2008, 08:46 AM
Having spent 22 years working for dealers, and don't take this personally but HTF are they going to see that. They will have had a technician look at it and see straight away that the seat belt buckle didn't work and therefore quoted on replacing that. The mechanics work on efficiency so will not **** about with their bonus they have to be at least 110-120% efficient to earn a decent wage so unfortunatley they don't have or make time to do small repairs when they can rebook a job and take 2 hours doing 2 minutes work. Thats just how it works

ZC_74
20th March 2008, 08:54 AM
Having spent 22 years working for dealers, and don't take this personally but HTF are they going to see that. They will have had a technician look at it and see straight away that the seat belt buckle didn't work and therefore quoted on replacing that. The mechanics work on efficiency so will not **** about with their bonus they have to be at least 110-120% efficient to earn a decent wage so unfortunatley they don't have or make time to do small repairs when they can rebook a job and take 2 hours doing 2 minutes work. Thats just how it works

Exactly. They just looked at it and said it didn't work. But, they obviously did look at it as they quite openly said there was something jammed in there. As soon as I looked I could tell straight away what it was. I don't care about bonuses etc. Do a decent job and people will keep coming back. In my job, I do it right the first time and get rewarded for it. I don't see how I should be at all happy with the idea that I may have had to fork out $600

SSS_Hoon
20th March 2008, 09:12 AM
Its not just holden stealers though its all of them.

When we first got the GTI, they right rear door trim was not on proper and the undercarage was missing the plastic windage tray thing on one side.

Told them they were like it must be the window tinter(it was there tinter person LoL) and the plastic is not meant to be there.

Took it back and said what the go with this is, he went out back and came back saying the head mech/tech guy said that the plastic is only meant to be on one side and none at the front, something to do with the cat.

I was like mm really walk with me a second would you, went out to the display one told him too look under there and then look under ours, he did and was like mm your right we get right on that, and tried to charge us for it tossers.

SSS_Hoon

JohnBu
20th March 2008, 10:02 AM
Its not just holden stealers though its all of them.

When we first got the GTI, they right rear door trim was not on proper and the undercarage was missing the plastic windage tray thing on one side.

Told them they were like it must be the window tinter(it was there tinter person LoL) and the plastic is not meant to be there.

Took it back and said what the go with this is, he went out back and came back saying the head mech/tech guy said that the plastic is only meant to be on one side and none at the front, something to do with the cat.

I was like mm really walk with me a second would you, went out to the display one told him too look under there and then look under ours, he did and was like mm your right we get right on that, and tried to charge us for it tossers.

SSS_Hoon

judging from a few reports, VW dealers are as bad, if not worst than Holden...

i must admit that BMW dealers go out of there way to help you.. had nothing but first class service from them (at first class prices too!)..

one2have
20th March 2008, 10:19 AM
How about I've without my Veccy for 3 months and 7 days???

Nuff Said. (see my other threads)

USC
20th March 2008, 10:36 AM
Exactly. They just looked at it and said it didn't work. But, they obviously did look at it as they quite openly said there was something jammed in there. As soon as I looked I could tell straight away what it was. I don't care about bonuses etc. Do a decent job and people will keep coming back. In my job, I do it right the first time and get rewarded for it. I don't see how I should be at all happy with the idea that I may have had to fork out $600

agree with you! who gives a shit about their bonuses! I expect first class service, else close down your business...****ing stealers. Efficiency for who?? They should work efficiently for customers! we are the one keeping your business going!!

Wraith
20th March 2008, 10:37 AM

How do you explain the total garbage they tried to feed me on my enquiry ???

Way I see it, they thought to themselves, we'll feed him a story, if we make it seem hard enough and genuine, this guy will leave the car with us and we can rip him off big time at 90 bucks an hour, for a half a days labour, for something that actually takes only 1 hour and requires none of the bullshit they spoke of.....

I know because I did end up doing it all myself....

So if their not incompetent morons, or trying to be efficient, then they're plain and simple rip off artists, F#*#*#g criminals deserve all the negative flak they get !!! what a bodge industry :mad:

In my case, I'm wrapped I don't have to rely on dealer service departments for all my mechanical works needs...

Apex
20th March 2008, 10:45 AM
judging from a few reports, VW dealers are as bad, if not worst than Holden...

i must admit that BMW dealers go out of there way to help you.. had nothing but first class service from them (at first class prices too!)..

Funny you say that, I went in to my local BMW Dealer to get some parts for my old girl and it was the best service I have had from a dealership, he was happy to come out in the rain to confirm the parts needed …the parts were cheap too. After getting the parts I went into the showroom and asked If I could see a new model that wasn’t there, the dealer was very helpful and was happy to take us out the back to see the car and also showed us a brand new Rolls Royce Drop top that we weren’t meant to see.. Im in my 20’s was wearing shorts and jandles and quite clearly couldn’t afford anything but a 120i and yet was treated like his best customer. It was very refreshing after the patronising attitude we received from two Holden dealers.

Shaun
20th March 2008, 10:55 AM
By Law they are bound not to repair any part of a seat belt. they are to replace as this is a important saftey item with in the car.

Wouldnt matter if they had removed the paper. they would still be required part of dealer standards and law to replace the item. Likewise when a seat belt is frayed or if in an accident. Seat Belts must be changed as the Pre Tensioner can fail. ( Pending the kind of accident)

Shaun

poita
20th March 2008, 02:04 PM
after my accident they changed mine over
said its just not worth it to fix it.

ZC_74
20th March 2008, 05:04 PM
By Law they are bound not to repair any part of a seat belt. they are to replace as this is a important saftey item with in the car.

Wouldnt matter if they had removed the paper. they would still be required part of dealer standards and law to replace the item. Likewise when a seat belt is frayed or if in an accident. Seat Belts must be changed as the Pre Tensioner can fail. ( Pending the kind of accident)

Shaun

Sorry Shaun. I get what you're saying but can't agree with you. If I had stuck the paperclip in there and it didn't budge at all I may have conceded I was a bit of a twat for getting something stuck in there like a chewing gum wrapper, put my tails between my legs and unhappily paid to have it fixed.

However, it moved, with the slightest touch from the paperclip and is now out. I agree with the belt part but I think this was blatant crap.

xplosv57
20th March 2008, 06:42 PM

I'm in the same industry and couldn't agree more, they would have checked the operation of the part, seen it's faulty and quoted on a new one!!!

Being a safety item also, they would have quoted on new parts instead of fiddling with it and potenially caused more damage, compromising safety!!!

If it was so easy to fix, how come you didn't do it yourself in the first place??

Haha yes first class service which is what should be expected at all dealers, going from a BMW service dealer to a Holden service dealer one day, i was shell shocked at the lack of care/help/manners that Holden dealer had (no. 1 in Vic supposedly too), but yes BMW gives their moneys worth!!!

Shaun

Yep again couldn't agree more, there could be some serious lawsuits for them if they had removed the paper, you had driven out and the seatbelt had failed!!

To be honest, Holden did the right thing, and if i had a similar complaint i would quote the same thing, for safety's sake!!

ZC_74
20th March 2008, 07:45 PM
If it was so easy to fix, how come you didn't do it yourself in the first place??

I'm no tech and wouldn't have known what to look for. That's what I pay you guys for. But to be told about and then see it. Sorry mate, you can use any excuse you like. Is that what your employer wants you to say or is it our honest opinion. Be true with your response. Maybe it was a safety thing. So why not say that. Why not give me the truth. There is something lodged in there but because of law blah blah blah............. Why did they there is something lodged in there and here is a quote to get it fixed. See it as a view from someone who brings their car to someone like you looking for honest and reliable service. Not something that sounds like a way of screwing $600 out of them..

imay
20th March 2008, 08:20 PM
Further to this, I'm concerned that a seat belt anchor, a 6 inch steel cable swathed in plastic, topped with a seat belt clip-in point, and takes a trained mechanic, sorry "Holden Technician" about 10 minutes to fit, costs $600!

Where do these prices come from? Reckon they just think of a number and multiply by eleventeen and add GST.

$600! Ouch!

Apex
20th March 2008, 08:24 PM
Further to this, I'm concerned that a seat belt anchor, a 6 inch steel cable swathed in plastic, topped with a seat belt clip-in point, and takes a trained mechanic, sorry "Holden Technician" about 10 minutes to fit, costs $600!

Where do these prices come from? Reckon they just think of a number and multiply by eleventeen and add GST.

$600! Ouch!

One would think the seat must be removed first, It would take around 35minuits to do it properly.

So $600 is fully justified :p

Shaun
20th March 2008, 08:24 PM
Just on the price though. As a Parts Interpreter for Mercedes Benz (Also having worked for other Manafacturers as well ) i have always found that seat belts come as an Assembly these days. Its very rare that the come both parts seperate these days. I would be inclinded to say ( esp with the Vectra being a European car ) that for that $600 you have paid for an assembly meaning your car has been fitted with a complete belt Pre tensioner and seat belt stork + the labour to fit the item.

ZC_74
20th March 2008, 08:53 PM
Cost was basically $400 for the 'clasp' and the rest was labour - tech.

xplosv57
20th March 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm no tech and wouldn't have known what to look for. That's what I pay you guys for. But to be told about and then see it. Sorry mate, you can use any excuse you like. Is that what your employer wants you to say or is it our honest opinion. Be true with your response. Maybe it was a safety thing. So why not say that. Why not give me the truth. There is something lodged in there but because of law blah blah blah............. Why did they there is something lodged in there and here is a quote to get it fixed. See it as a view from someone who brings their car to someone like you looking for honest and reliable service. Not something that sounds like a way of screwing $600 out of them..

To be honest, im not the dealer you dealt with so can't answer that for you, i'm not sure why they didn't mention the safety factor behind the seatbelt and the laws behind it!! Then again i have also been treated unfairly by Holden so can see your point of view.

Problem is, as mentioned before, the tech would have tried the seatbelt a few times, noted it didn't lock in and priced up a replacement. Had they removed the paper out, fixed it, then later on the seatbelt was to fail, the blame would instantly be put on them asking why they didn't replace the seatbelt in the first place.

For the dealer it's easier and safer to replace any component then to repair it, saves them any problems which could arise in the future if it was to fail.

Lucky for you, the problem is solved!!

imay
20th March 2008, 09:59 PM
One would think the seat must be removed first, It would take around 35minuits to do it properly.

So $600 is fully justified :p

How does a 35 minute job + parts equate to a justified $600?

I understand a labor cost involved, and I accept that ZC_74 suggests $200 is part of this figure . . . in that case I just can't see $400 for a, one would presume, reasonably regularly moved item like a seat-belt stalk. Unless these stalks are unique to Vectra VC models only and are used on no other cars in the GM range!

Oh, sorry, I forgot . . . we drive exotic German/European cars so therefore these parts costs are to be expected, therefore making them justifiable.

I'm involved in ordering and consuming parts from outside suppliers every day in my job, and I understand a "justifiable" mark-up for shelf life, etc., of any given product, but at times (like this one) it just staggers me what some suppliers accept as justifiable.
And to make matters worse, it's quite possible the Holden stealer next suburb over could hand one over for well under half that amount.

Shaun
21st March 2008, 03:04 AM
ZC_74 you say in your signature you want an Audi RS4 as your next car . Look out if buy one as the price of parts will be 3 times as much as your Vectra cost .

Keep'emRunning
21st March 2008, 06:43 AM
...I can see both sides of the story with this.. i had a minor front ender and only one belt pretensioner went off.. the insurance company suggested both be replaced for safetys' sake, and these things weren't cheap back then.

Anyway because most of use earn far less than the $100ph charged by mechanics & dealers it -always- pays to do a little research and problem solving before taking that fateful trip into the dealership (cue gilligans island theme here..)

ZC_74
21st March 2008, 08:08 AM
ZC_74 you say in your signature you want an Audi RS4 as your next car . Look out if buy one as the price of parts will be 3 times as much as your Vectra cost .

No doubt. Couldn't agree more.

But as is with most things, saying you want something doesn't mean your goin to get it. I can't justify $160K

OPC
21st March 2008, 03:50 PM
But as is with most things, saying you want something doesn't mean your goin to get it. I can't justify $160K

when its a W427 well i can ;)

stevedee3
21st March 2008, 04:27 PM
Anyway because most of use earn far less than the $100ph charged by mechanics & dealers...And you can bet that most of that $100 isn't going to the mechanic.

xplosv57
21st March 2008, 04:28 PM
And you can bet that most of that $100 isn't going to the mechanic.

Can guarantee most of that $100+ isn't going to the mechanic!!! :(

SKM_87
21st March 2008, 04:38 PM
Can guarantee most of that $100+ isn't going to the mechanic!!! :(
eaisly, my pay per hour vs our hourly charge out rate argh.

xplosv57
21st March 2008, 04:43 PM
eaisly, my pay per hour vs our hourly charge out rate argh.

Haha don't worry i feel your pain brother!!!!