PDA

View Full Version : Sri Turbo Engine?

MAD-16V
19th March 2008, 05:20 PM
So I have had my car for sale for over a month with not even a bite of interest.

So im thinking of dropping an sri turbo engine in it.
Has anyone ever come across a wrecked one or know of anywhere you could source one of these engines.
( Holden want $9.5k for a new one in a box :)

Cheers.

EL BURITO
19th March 2008, 05:27 PM
keep a eye on the insurgence write off auctions

xplosv57
19th March 2008, 06:14 PM
With something like 400-500 TS Turbos in existence, it's a hard exercise trying to find a smashed one, and due to the rare status will still cost alot!!!

But you might get lucky!!!

Shaun
19th March 2008, 06:19 PM
Just by a TS SRi T instead. Save your self the ****ing round and headaches of upgrading the brakes computer gearboxes clutch etc.

xplosv57
19th March 2008, 06:30 PM
Just by a TS SRi T instead. Save your self the ****ing round and headaches of upgrading the brakes computer gearboxes clutch etc.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

CNBLU
19th March 2008, 06:37 PM
easy. just drop the price of your car.;)

USC
19th March 2008, 07:33 PM
cheaper to do in europe but not here. u wont need only engine but injectors, wiring, ecu, gearbox, brakes....its a lot of mess and will cost u a lot more than what u think.

auzvectra
19th March 2008, 08:03 PM
have heard of wrecked sri-t's going for $5K???
just gotta be at the right place at the right time i spose.

USC
19th March 2008, 08:31 PM
have heard of wrecked sri-t's going for $5K???
just gotta be at the right place at the right time i spose.

engine must have done over 200K...

poita
19th March 2008, 08:37 PM
easy, just buy niks :D

Wraith
19th March 2008, 08:39 PM
So I have had my car for sale for over a month with not even a bite of interest.

So im thinking of dropping an sri turbo engine in it.
Has anyone ever come across a wrecked one or know of anywhere you could source one of these engines.
( Holden want $9.5k for a new one in a box :)

Cheers.

Seriously, if your going to keep it 'long term' only then should you consider an engine transplant as you've suggested...

As well as the negative points listed above for such a mod, you have to also take into account that probably no insurance company will give you cover, not very good at all if it's to remain a daily driver !!!

I also suggest getting an original Sri t, if that's what you really want, many avenues to make it happen, trade yours for one, sell it privately for less and spend a little more time to save up the difference for a turbo or just buy something else you like and can afford....it dosn't hurt to hold off an extra 12 months to save more, time flies, in the end you'll be happier to have done so ;)

MatsHolden
19th March 2008, 08:52 PM
engine must have done over 200K...

Not if it's wrecked... Wrecks aren't that expensive! 5k sounds about right.

MK
19th March 2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15851 call them

blueraven
19th March 2008, 10:12 PM
easy, just buy niks :D

+1 :D

and for sure, i offer $250 commission to anyone who puts me in touch with the buyer :)

poita
19th March 2008, 11:15 PM
well it'd be a hell of a lot easier
and its far from standard ;)

axe246
19th March 2008, 11:45 PM
motor is about 4k ..... the whole set up is different, u need looms ecu all fans the lot and the box. your original box will last you about 2- 6 monthes before it shits itself. basically you need a whole conversion about 6k. or you can buy a wreck. if the wreck is damaged from the front you will still need some parts such as fans and piping. (fans are alloy about $420 genuine)

SSS_Hoon
20th March 2008, 05:43 AM
LoL funny bunch of ppl.

What ever you think its going to cost you then double it and add half then when u have that amount of money you would be better off buying a SRiT.

Conversions are fun but they are not as simple as you think they are. they can be done simple and on the cheap too though. And should only be done if u intend on keeping the car for a good while otherwise not worth it, as you wont get back nearly as much as you paid when u sell it or trade it.

Insurance shouldnt be that hard to get as long as its all engineerd and done proper like.

Basic all u would need is the engine, ECU(or go straight aftermarket to begin with) might even be able to get away with just a piggy back or a reflash of your ECU not too sure how the astra ECU's work, wiring loom(might be able to use your existing loom and just add the missing bits of the loom in yourself) and cooler setup, the box(if u keep it stock then there is no reason the box shouldnt last forever as long as you look after it) and brakes can come later, but if u want it legal then depending on where you are you might need brakes and a EPA report to get a engineers cert. You can even use the stock zorst(if cash is restricting u the power will be down but it will work) all you will need is the part of the zorst from the turbo to match up with the rest of your system.

Labour is the most exxy part especially if you gotta pay someone top do it(if your doing ti yourself then that is a bonus). And while you got the SRiT engine out you should rebuild as a 2nd hand engine you never know how its been treated or how good it is, even if u just freshen it up with new rings and bearings its at least a peace of mind if nothing else.

SSS_Hoon

MAD-16V
20th March 2008, 10:57 AM
Jeesus guys - I only wanted to know if anyone knew where to get an engine - Not some speel on how hard how expensive how whatever.

Wraith
20th March 2008, 11:04 AM
LoL funny bunch of ppl.

What ever you think its going to cost you then double it and add half then when u have that amount of money you would be better off buying a SRiT.

Conversions are fun but they are not as simple as you think they are. they can be done simple and on the cheap too though. And should only be done if u intend on keeping the car for a good while otherwise not worth it, as you wont get back nearly as much as you paid when u sell it or trade it.

Insurance shouldnt be that hard to get as long as its all engineerd and done proper like.

Basic all u would need is the engine, ECU(or go straight aftermarket to begin with) might even be able to get away with just a piggy back or a reflash of your ECU not too sure how the astra ECU's work, wiring loom(might be able to use your existing loom and just add the missing bits of the loom in yourself) and cooler setup, the box(if u keep it stock then there is no reason the box shouldnt last forever as long as you look after it) and brakes can come later, but if u want it legal then depending on where you are you might need brakes and a EPA report to get a engineers cert. You can even use the stock zorst(if cash is restricting u the power will be down but it will work) all you will need is the part of the zorst from the turbo to match up with the rest of your system.

Labour is the most exxy part especially if you gotta pay someone top do it(if your doing ti yourself then that is a bonus). And while you got the SRiT engine out you should rebuild as a 2nd hand engine you never know how its been treated or how good it is, even if u just freshen it up with new rings and bearings its at least a peace of mind if nothing else.

SSS_Hoon

Agree with all of the above....insurance though will be hard to get, regardless how well it's done etc. and once you do get it, if you get it, will cost more than twice what it would have been with a 'normal' Sri t !!! I know, been there done that...and yes never again ;)

Wraith
20th March 2008, 11:09 AM
Jeesus guys - I only wanted to know if anyone knew where to get an engine - Not some speel on how hard how expensive how whatever.

Can understand your frustration - BUT still some good and sound advice in those posts none the less, it's good to take note from people who've done similar ;)

And you would also have to consider the resale of the modded car, people are 'less likely' to buy a mock up than an original, I dare say, you'll be stuck more with this than your stock car as is....

As for your original question, it's been answered....look for a s/h at wreckers, look out for someone selling private, buy a brand new one - choice is yours ;)

SSS_Hoon
20th March 2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah i would buy a 2nd hand one and rebuild it it would be cheaper then buying new from holden.

Look out at the insurance auctions and places like that and ring a few wreckers and leave a note with them to ring you when/if they get one or know of one for sale.

SSS_Hoon

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2008, 12:09 PM
rebuild current motor with good internals and lower compression

get custom made turbo kit

use aftermarket ecu

Apex
20th March 2008, 12:19 PM

Why not just call around Holden wreckers threwout Australia..Im sure someone would know who has one or where to find one. Maybe ask a wrecker to try and source you one. Ideally you would want a front cut with all associated parts.

I heard a story about a guy that hired a truck and reverse over the back of a parked car he wanted the front cut off, he then stalked the owner to find out where the car is going and proceed to purchase it from a insurance auction..

As said, conversions can be a very expensive and frustrating though.

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2008, 12:31 PM
I heard a story about a guy that hired a truck and reverse over the back of a parked car he wanted the front cut off, he then stalked the owner to find out where the car is going and proceed to purchase it from a insurance auction..

hahaha only in new zealand :D

SSS_Hoon
20th March 2008, 12:37 PM
rebuild current motor with good internals and RAISE compression

get custom made turbo kit

use aftermarket ecu

Fixed :D

I dont know why ppl are saying u will need fans for i dont get why that is the stock cooling system should be capable if not the same.

SSS_Hoon

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2008, 02:13 PM
Fixed :D

I dont know why ppl are saying u will need fans for i dont get why that is the stock cooling system should be capable if not the same.

SSS_Hoon

i guess you're right, there's no reason why you can't run high compression providing it's tuned correctly.

although, on a turbo car I would aim for 8.5:1 c/r

mr corsa
20th March 2008, 02:40 PM
hey mad
just do it

MK
20th March 2008, 05:59 PM

i gave you that answer

auzvectra
21st March 2008, 08:43 AM
also u have theother differences between them, lke shorter stiffer shock, n coils.
stiffer rear torsion beam, brakes ect...

OPC
21st March 2008, 10:06 AM

hahahahaha well this is OPELAUS dude and as u know everyone's an expert

here is your answer, trade it in on a Nurburg

end of discussion

Insubordinate
21st March 2008, 10:28 AM
I had my SRi Turbo on the market for 9 weeks without a bite. Not one... The week that I sold it (in the 9th week), I had 5 calls from different people. Don't give up. And don't spend money on it if you don't have to.

SSS_Hoon
21st March 2008, 04:20 PM
i guess you're right, there's no reason why you can't run high compression providing it's tuned correctly.

although, on a turbo car I would aim for 8.5:1 c/r

MMM really nah more like around the 10:1 sounds good to me, No need for tuning just slap it together with a Turbo ECU "Running Repair Stylez" LoL.

Heheheheheheheehe

But yeah if its something you want to do and u have the means to do it then by all means go and do it, but 9.5k for a SRiT engine is highway robbery.

SSS_Hoon

OPC
21st March 2008, 11:01 PM
COME OOOOONNNNNN....

honestly guys... he dont wanna do a conversion right... i wanted to do one in my LX nissan SSS lookalike shitter
but hey i researched... and well it was gunna cost more than what it was worth

all this guy needs to know is dont do it...

DAMIEN im talking to you... you know alot of guys who have done sr20 transplants right... and how many have actually been worth while without replacing clutches, gearboxes, injectors and so on

hey i know a few aswell so dont bullshit... thats why i never went ahead with my nissan

you wanna know why the guys in england and germany are doing thr Z20LET OR LEH transplants?

thats because they have the engines off the shelf like we have vegemite

its so fukin cheap for them and so many parts readily available

like i said before.... trade the car in for something else... be it something you cant afford or some shitter you can afford

slyopel
21st March 2008, 11:17 PM
hey mate i didn't put a sri turbo motor in my car i just turboed my 1.8l and still running stock internals. you could do the same or you can re build your engine. either way good luck.

axe246
21st March 2008, 11:22 PM
SSS_ hoon have you done a conversion before. from your post well i can tell you havent. if you can run it on the standard cooling fan mate you willl be a genius. look it will overheat and the turbo will get the plastic fan so hot........... yeh oyu no what wil happen next. piggy back astra ecu's .. thanks mate , these are not jap crap and if you get it going it wont last. the ecus can be headaces as stock. What he needs is a wreck. or just sell and buy one. it will be much cheaper. and as for the box... try putting 147kw/250Nm through a box designed for 90kw/165Nm give it a thrashing and see how far you get. been there done it. and its not funny

SSS_Hoon
22nd March 2008, 07:16 AM
LoL sarcasm is just lost on some ppl.

As for me doing a conversion well on a Astra no i havn't but on many other cars yeah i have been involved in quite a fair few actually having a mech as a father and all. 1 of those including a Aristo 2JZ conversion into a Ford Ute sweet fit too.

The plastic must be crap and cheap shit on the astra's then if the heat from a turbo would melt them, as i seen heaps of conversions done on SSS's (jap crap hehehe) with no need of new fans the stock cooling setup is just fine, actually some ppl even remove one of the plastic fans to make room for the turbo and still they run fine. Also there are a heap out there run the stock gearboxes to without and dramas at all, but yeah most end up breaking them and going stronger billet boxes, but there those out there that go ages without doing it.

Its all a matter of how well its put together, tuned and ultimatly how its treated/driven in the end that determines how long it lasts aint it.

I fairly sure Blueraven has a piggy back ECU and that is running fine aint it?

I didnt say that it would last long i just said that it would work, and saying that he could convert his engine cheaper then what it would cost for a brand new engine from holden and the rebuilt engine would be a heap stronger, add the turbo/cooler setup inj and a turbo ECU(maybe a custom tune from like SAS of the likes/or a piggy back ECU) and away he goes it will run and if treated right will last a long time(well it should anyway), now if your too narrow minded to see that im right(and so are you im not denying that one bit) then there is no helping you is there.

SSS_Hoon

Keep'emRunning
22nd March 2008, 09:04 AM
i researched a z20let conversion not long ago.. i don't believe it's worth it compared to what you get simply by buying an sri-t... bigger brakes, nice interior, TC,ABS, bodykit & power everything.

If the car isn't already equipped with ABS, then installing ABS/TC (otherwise sri-t ecu will complain about these being absent) could be expensive. Not only that but the myriad of other addons they is on the SRi-T that the ecu will be looking for, that won't be there on a n/a TS.

Turbo'ing an 1.8 isn't much cheaper either.. quotes I got ranged from 6k upwards, using an basic intercept controller and not including a full dyno tune (hpf melb)

The next option if your handy with tools is to buy a SRi-T wreck for under 10k with panel damage only and fix it up. I was told recently about a 2004 sri-t sold for sub $7k from a water damaged auction in qld, and it started first time and ran beautifully. Just needed a good clean of the interior.

Shaun
22nd March 2008, 02:08 PM
I had my SRi Turbo on the market for 9 weeks without a bite. Not one... The week that I sold it (in the 9th week), I had 5 calls from different people. Don't give up. And don't spend money on it if you don't have to.

I know your pain. Mine too about 3 months to move. Which is was a good thing in the end . She found a home where she is being looked after well.

Shaun
22nd March 2008, 02:09 PM
hahahahaha well this is OPELAUS dude and as u know everyone's an expert

here is your answer, trade it in on a Nurburg

end of discussion

HAHA... Funny shit Jay.

How much do you have the Astra on the Market for ?

mr corsa
22nd March 2008, 07:10 PM
ive seen turbo 1.8l run std cooling systems on their corsa-c wouldnt be no different to a astra