PDA

View Full Version : What the yanks get...

rjastra
13th March 2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/sport_compacts/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_first_drive_review

Its whats under the bonnet that counts. direct injection, vvt +turbo 2l ecotec with 260hp (190+kw)

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/sport_compacts/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_first_drive_review/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_10/1251154-1-eng-US/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_10_gallery_image_large.jp g

oneightoo
13th March 2008, 03:57 PM
looks like an FTO

poita
13th March 2008, 04:17 PM
ah teh chevy cobalt ss
its great that they have this car, so much info and parts ;)

Wraith
13th March 2008, 04:54 PM
Poita there was a thread or mention ?? about this car not so long ago - a yellow one I recall and alot of peeps here bagged it, despite having potent power train...

poita
13th March 2008, 05:41 PM
these are quick cars, the motors are running around in american drag cars
pushin out over 1500hp atw, the previous model being the supercharged model was good for 500hp on a stage 4 kit.

USC
13th March 2008, 05:51 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/sport_compacts/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_first_drive_review

Its whats under the bonnet that counts. direct injection, vvt +turbo 2l ecotec with 260hp (190+kw)

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/sport_compacts/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_first_drive_review/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_10/1251154-1-eng-US/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_10_gallery_image_large.jp g

doesnt matter what the engine is...car looks shheeeeeeeeeet...

mr corsa
13th March 2008, 08:12 PM
its not the same ecotec

Wraith
13th March 2008, 10:18 PM
doesnt matter what the engine is...car looks shheeeeeeeeeet...

Here we go again.......

poita
13th March 2008, 10:55 PM
yer tony, its a shame we didnt get that motor here.
they got the I4 motor, as it's called.
from wat i remember.

ps. wats goin on with the corsa?

USC
13th March 2008, 11:50 PM
Here we go again.......
:p :p

~~~~~~~~~~~flames~~~~~~~~~~~

direct injection and vvt is a good thing but direct injection did not do much for the 2.2sri. doesnt the current 2L turbo have variable timing on intake anyway?? it would make a huge difference to have it on outlet valves too.

it has the same power as a mazda 3 mps or 6 mps or cx-7

poita
14th March 2008, 01:18 AM
they are 260bhp, and have option of factory fitted LSD

rjastra
14th March 2008, 09:12 AM
Is it a 2L version of the 2.2L all alloy ecotec found in the Astra SRi 2.2?

Wraith
14th March 2008, 12:12 PM
:p :p

~~~~~~~~~~~flames~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL it's ok, each to their own :)

USC
14th March 2008, 01:40 PM
Is it a 2L version of the 2.2L all alloy ecotec found in the Astra SRi 2.2?

who knows? all these engines would have something in common with variations in technology.

rjastra
14th March 2008, 01:58 PM
look at the power graph. Maybe some extra power hidden in there.
Its a development of the all alloy 2.2l ecotec engine

Dual VVT, Direct injection, twin scroll turbo. 195kw, 350Nm :)

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/HPT%20Library/Ecotec/2008%20LNF/2008_20L_LNF_Solstice.pdf

USC
14th March 2008, 02:44 PM
look at the power graph. Maybe some extra power hidden in there.
Its a development of the all alloy 2.2l ecotec engine

Dual VVT, Direct injection, twin scroll turbo. 195kw, 350Nm :)

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/HPT%20Library/Ecotec/2008%20LNF/2008_20L_LNF_Solstice.pdf (http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/HPT%20Library/Ecotec/2008%20LNF/2008_20L_LNF_Solstice.pdf)

how can it have dual VVT if it is only a four cyclinder? dual VVT is usually on V6 or V8 engines where VVT exists on each side.

twin turbo..hmmmm...nice...very nice:D

195KW on a front wheel drive..OMG! this thing will burn rubber.

poita
14th March 2008, 02:47 PM
twin scroll trubo USC, not twin turbo

Wraith
14th March 2008, 03:55 PM

Same as used on most Jap performance cars and others like Porshe turbos - about time others started using this better turbo technology :)

USC
14th March 2008, 04:19 PM

oops..:p what is a twin scroll turbo and how is it different to "normal" ones?

Wraith
14th March 2008, 04:38 PM
oops..:p what is a twin scroll turbo and how is it different to "normal" ones?

Basically it has dual inlet exhaust feed paths, instead of one, this allows them to spool up faster under low engine speeds....it's taken from diesel turbo technology :)

USC
14th March 2008, 04:44 PM
Basically it has dual inlet exhaust feed paths, instead of one, this allows them to spool up faster under low engine speeds....it's taken from diesel turbo technology :)

nice!! it would also have a better turbo sound I imagine:D

Wraith
14th March 2008, 04:51 PM
nice!! it would also have a better turbo sound I imagine:D

Not really, standard and twin scroll turbo sound would be the same...

sooty
14th March 2008, 07:06 PM
it's taken from diesel turbo technology :)

I don't have to say anything :D
OIL FOR LIFE :p

USC
14th March 2008, 07:30 PM

r u saying that u would never buy a petrol car again?;)

sooty
14th March 2008, 07:41 PM
r u saying that u would never buy a petrol car again?;)
Bahahah, no, i'm not that silly.
Although an R8 V12 TDi would suit me fine :)

rjastra
15th March 2008, 10:44 AM
how can it have dual VVT if it is only a four cyclinder? dual VVT is usually on V6 or V8 engines where VVT exists on each side.

Easy... vvt on the inlet cam and vvt on the exhaust cam.

USC
15th March 2008, 10:57 AM
Easy... vvt on the inlet cam and vvt on the exhaust cam.
thats not dual VVT...thats called vvtL which is variable valve timing with lift.

mr corsa
15th March 2008, 04:34 PM
ps. wats goin on with the corsa?
just got a few new ideas atm influenced buy the overseas people :D

rjastra
16th March 2008, 04:09 PM
thats not dual VVT...thats called vvtL which is variable valve timing with lift.

Please go check your facts.... VVTL is a bloody toyota jargon anyway.

Wraith
16th March 2008, 07:01 PM

Damn, we'd better not mention variable turbine vane technology used on the latest twin turbo Porsche's either then, also derived from diesel turbos or we'll never hear the end of it LOL :)

poita
16th March 2008, 09:14 PM
just got a few new ideas atm influenced buy the overseas people :D

cant wait to see the results :)

Damn, we'd better not mention variable turbine vane technology used on the latest twin turbo Porsche's either then, also derived from diesel turbos or we'll never hear the end of it LOL :)

yer great work wraith, now he jabber on about it more than you do about the R35 :p :p :p :p

Wraith
17th March 2008, 08:46 AM
cant wait to see the results :)

yer great work wraith, now he jabber on about it more than you do about the R35 :p :p :p :p

True that, difference is most of us love the R35, but not oilers :D

bornwild
31st March 2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah but is it RWD?

poita
31st March 2008, 10:22 PM
no they are FWD, as most small 4 cyl cars are

bornwild
31st March 2008, 11:12 PM
no they are FWD, as most small 4 cyl cars are

Oh...

it's sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet:p

poita
31st March 2008, 11:22 PM
for a motor that they are gettin close to 1500hp and running 6's FWD with
i wouldnt be callin that sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet at all!!

bornwild
31st March 2008, 11:25 PM

Well, it's sheeeet for two reasons:
1. The Yanks don't know how to make a nice handling car
2. Nice handling is all a FWD could have going for it and Ford Europe are the only ones who have mastered FWD driving pleasure :p

ps. yeahhh...1500hp with alllll the components changed nothing is the same as the stock engine except maybe the block?:p

poita
31st March 2008, 11:30 PM
they are still a pretty dam god car for wat they are standard.
with the phase 3 kit they make round the 400hp mark.
and nothing an LSD wont fix with a FWD car

mr corsa
1st April 2008, 11:50 AM

which car ?

bornwild
1st April 2008, 06:02 PM
369kw at the wheels in a corsa???

You're ****ing joking

MatsHolden
1st April 2008, 07:59 PM

You're ****ing joking

No, he's not. lol

bornwild
1st April 2008, 08:05 PM
Jesus Christ...

sooty
1st April 2008, 08:09 PM
Jesus Christ...

AHAHAHAHA....exactly...it's like finding out Godzilla exists....in the local church....

USC
1st April 2008, 09:42 PM
I think its all bullshit.

sooty
1st April 2008, 09:43 PM
What is?

USC
1st April 2008, 10:38 PM
What is?

bornwild
1st April 2008, 10:58 PM

Yeah...he turboed his 1.8 SRi from memory. He's a crazy guy, you never know.

USC
2nd April 2008, 02:47 AM
Yeah...he turboed his 1.8 SRi from memory. He's a crazy guy, you never know.

369 KW from a 1.8L... V8`s struggle to output that sort of power.

OPC
2nd April 2008, 11:41 AM

if you need proof ive got about 1 hrs worth of footage from last weeks day of tuning of the 494HP@WHEELS 1.8ltr turbo barina

and also some footage of the run he did at WSID

gsr
2nd April 2008, 12:08 PM
I was on the phone to Tony before and he mentioned you guys were calling bullshit on his figures, so I thought I'd sign up and add my 2c.

I can tell you it's not bullshit - I was at the workshop when the car spun up 494.8 hp at the wheels. To back it up, I was also there a few hours later and watched it pile on 38 mph in the top half of the track, showing it's huge potential.

In comparison, my GSR makes 440 hp atw and runs 11.5 @ 128 mph over the quarter, but only puts on 27 mph (101 at half track) in the top end. It's safe to say that the little barina would leave me standing wondering what the hell just happened :D

Don't be so quick to call bullshit on something you have no idea about.

Steve

SSS_Hoon
2nd April 2008, 12:49 PM
LoL USC where you been living man?

Congrats on the new figures there Tony, i was wondering when you would update it, i knew it was coming for ahwhile now well since u put not anymore next to it. Was that done on the 109Ron fuel or pump gas? Either way top effort M8.

Would love to see it in action and watch it run the 1/4 that is for sure.

Back on topic, the car this thread was originally about is ferral nothing more needed.

SSS_Hoon

oneightoo
2nd April 2008, 12:52 PM
lol i love it when people dont believe these figures.. no one believed the 229kw atw a year ago either.. everyone needs to see the proof.. lol it's not like he's a roger cordia with something to proove..

i wouldnt be suprised if this thing hits the 500bhp mark in the near future..

all i can say is, well done tony, well done :D

and jay, if you're able to post the footage i would love to watch it :)

Wraith
2nd April 2008, 12:52 PM

I assume your talking about stock standard n/a V8's ??? there are many that exceed those numbers...but here we're talking about something that's been heavily modified !!!

If you took any one of your average V8's out there and applied the same level of modifications as that 1.8, the output figures would make that thing look like a toy ! (not trying taking anything away from this particular example though)

I can show you pics and dyno read outs of a V8 I used to own, that developed 500kw atw without forced induction and wasn't even turning a sweat, it was set up to output over one and half times that much, but the cars chassis couldn't handle it or the torque...

As for power outputs on modified engines, if you apply the same modifications, hardware, systems, technology, etc. etc. to any 4 stroke piston engine, relative to it's displacement, the power outputs will be similar.....so in the end given 'ALL' factors equal, the larger displacement, will always produce the larger power output !!!!

bornwild
2nd April 2008, 12:54 PM
I was on the phone to Tony before and he mentioned you guys were calling bullshit on his figures, so I thought I'd sign up and add my 2c.

I can tell you it's not bullshit - I was at the workshop when the car spun up 494.8 hp at the wheels. To back it up, I was also there a few hours later and watched it pile on 38 mph in the top half of the track, showing it's huge potential.

In comparison, my GSR makes 440 hp atw and runs 11.5 @ 128 mph over the quarter, but only puts on 27 mph (101 at half track) in the top end. It's safe to say that the little barina would leave me standing wondering what the hell just happened :D

Don't be so quick to call bullshit on something you have no idea about.

Steve

How much torque does that thing have??? Around the 600Nm marque?

oneightoo
2nd April 2008, 12:56 PM
I assume your talking about stock standard n/a V8's ??? there are many that exceed those numbers...but here we're talking about something that's been heavily modified !!!

If you took any one of your average V8's out there and applied the same level of modifications as that 1.8, the output figures would make that thing look like a toy !

I can show you pics and dyno read outs of a V8 I used to own, that developed 500kw atw without forced induction and wasn't even turning a sweat, it was set up to output over one and half times that much, but the cars chassis couldn't handle it or the torque...

As for power outputs on modified engines, if you apply the same modifications, hardware, systems, technology, etc. etc. to any 4 stroke piston engine, relative to it's displacement, the power outputs will be similar.....so in the end given 'ALL' factors equal, the larger displacement, will always produce the larger power output !!!!

dam straight..

Ange, if you have pictures, post them..

pics or ban :p

SSS_Hoon
2nd April 2008, 01:01 PM
dam straight..

damm straight.

And i thought my brothers old XY GT with around 500HP at the wheels was nuts imagine 500KW mmm sweet.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
2nd April 2008, 01:07 PM
dam straight..

Once again, not trying to take the focus off Mr Corsas efforts, I've complimented him many times on his little beast :) just had to clarify some peoples thoughts that V8's are useless, which is utter nonsense and IMO total bias....all you have to do is look at the fastest and quickest 'modified' cars on Earth ( that's what we're talking about here, not stock ) and see what the powerplant of choice is !!!

It's all about what the engine is made up of and what gear it's running and then it's displacement.

Don't want to hijack the thread, will PM you pics and dyno graphs tonight, have them on the home computer :)

Wraith
2nd April 2008, 01:15 PM
damm straight.

And i thought my brothers old XY GT with around 500HP at the wheels was nuts imagine 500KW mmm sweet.

SSS_Hoon

Enough to turn 9's with wheelspin everywhere from start to finish even with semi slicks and with a 2 speed auto gearbox, 2nd speed was 1:1 ratio too ;)

The 500kw is a conversion from nearly 680hp (it was built in the late 80's by Chev off road and marine racing engines, old school readouts hp and lb/ft figures were still used back then) we pulled on one of the dyno run-in runs, the engine was still new and very tight, it later made heaps more than that...

USC
2nd April 2008, 01:31 PM
JESUS....his front tyres will wear out in 5 mins on the track:eek:

How long does an engine like that last? sounds like formula 1 engines where they need a rebuilt fairly often.

oneightoo
2nd April 2008, 01:35 PM
wheels and tyres arent your normal tyres..

the engine i dont think has any original parts left lol

SSS_Hoon
2nd April 2008, 02:02 PM
Enough to turn 9's with wheelspin everywhere from start to finish even with semi slicks and with a 2 speed auto gearbox, 2nd speed was 1:1 ratio too ;)

The 500kw is a conversion from nearly 680hp (it was built in the late 80's by Chev off road and marine racing engines, old school readouts hp and lb/ft figures were still used back then) we pulled on one of the dyno run-in runs, the engine was still new and very tight, it later made heaps more than that...

Sweet Dads old work had a XR used for street drags down the creek it did mid 12's and that thing felt damm fast i would love to give a 9sec car a drive would be awesome.

Yeah my Dad still talks in hp and lb/ft so it not new to me LoL. He only just swapped his 393(i think) stroker ford work ute for a 2JZGTE ford work ute and only just getting into the newer turbo stuff with the race skylines and what not.

Signs of a good engine builder with great parts being that good after a pull down.

SSS_Hoon