PDA

View Full Version : BMW to lift US production more than 50%

btm
10th March 2008, 01:56 PM
could this start to compromise their quality?

this could also certainly make BMWs cheaper in Oz??

http://news.smh.com.au/bmw-to-lift-us-production-more-than-50/20080310-1yd6.html

BMW to lift US production more than 50%

BMW says it will cut 7.5 per cent of its workforce in Germany over two years while increasing production in the US by more than 50 per cent by 2012.

"This is completely driven by the plunge in the dollar," said Greg Gardner with Oliver Wyman, publisher of the Harbour Report on automotive manufacturing activity.

"It is untenable to produce at a much higher cost in Germany."

The euro climbed to record heights Friday, reaching $1.5463 before falling back to $1.5335 in late trading after the Federal Reserve announced it would provide more cash to banks that need it. That means European goods cost more for Americans to buy.

By building the cars in the US, BMW can save money on the lower dollar and on wages since its South Carolina workers make less than German workers, Gardner said.

The declining dollar also means BMW and other foreign automakers likely will start buying locally for more of the parts used by their US plants, he said.

That shift in production has led to the cuts at home for the Munich-based luxury car maker.

BMW's head of personnel, Ernst Baumann, said last month that 5,600 jobs would be cut by the end of the year. That's on top of 2,500 positions already eliminated. That adds up to 7.5 per cent of the company's total work force of almost 108,000, including both permanent and temporary employees.

In the US, BMW Manufacturing Co in Greer expects to increase production to 240,000 cars by 2012, company spokesman Bobby Hitt said last month. That's up from 155,000 last year.

"Conceivably, as the volume increases and the manufacturing system at the Spartanburg, South Carolina plant improves, costs may come down enough to cut prices of their cars," Gardner said.

The company has not said what impact the increase in production will have on employment in Greer, which has about 4,500 permanent employees and up to 900 temporary employees.

The company has scheduled an announcement for Monday at the BMW Zentrum in Greer to discuss an addition to the plant, which makes the X5 and Z4 models. A spokeswoman at the Greer plant did not return phone messages seeking comment.

While luxury car sales are expected to be flat or a little down from last year, "BMW will still show growth," said Jack Nerad, executive market analyst for Irvine, California-based Kelley Blue Book.

The company said BMW Group, which includes the Mini and Rolls-Royce brands, sold 198,628 cars worldwide in January and February, up from 191,357 for the same period last year. Sales of the BMW brand for February rose to 89,983 up from 85,310 for the month last year.

Nerad and the company say launches of new 1-Series models and the X6 also are expected to lift sales in 2008.

SSS_Hoon
10th March 2008, 02:05 PM
Do u just TROLL the news sites for random news?

If so then you missed that the Nationialist Party won the election in Malta.

LoL

SSS_Hoon

btm
10th March 2008, 02:13 PM
Do u just TROLL the news sites for random news?

yep

Calibrated
10th March 2008, 03:03 PM
surely it would be even more benificial to produce all the bmw's at the plant in South Africa? lower wages than in USA...

not that i am encouraging expoitation :p

BMW's are cheaper in SA than they are in Germany :p

poita
10th March 2008, 07:25 PM

so are drugs and guns, wats ur point :p

xplosv57
10th March 2008, 07:37 PM
surely it would be even more benificial to produce all the bmw's at the plant in South Africa? lower wages than in USA...

not that i am encouraging expoitation :p

BMW's produced in China are even cheaper, but then the quality is obviously compromised, hence why they're only built for the Chinese market!!!

Opening up the US program should be a good thing, not sure if that will dramatically drop prices of the cars, but should save a bit here and there!!! The off road vehicles which are already built there and quite cheap considering, would be alot more if produced in Germany!!!

The job losses are quite scary though, hope they don't filter down to here!!

Petey
15th March 2008, 05:53 PM
I wish that cars were still made in the countries they originated from, if you know what I mean?

Is it just me or do others out there wonder why they'd bother doing this other than to reduce their costs and in turn increase their profits.

If I was to purchase a NEW BMW I expect it to have been made in Germany, the same with Honda & Made in Japan, etc.....

I'm looking to buy a new digital camera and have a preference for Japanese brands such as Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and so forth. Very few are made in Japan. Most are made in China. I'm quite happy to pay that little bit more for a "Made in Japan" camera but the prices are not that dissimilar to "Made in China" cameras with similar spec's.

I think sometimes those "Brand" companies no matter what product they manufacture and sell will lose any loyalty, preference or perception of quality they have built up over decades by going for the lowest manufacturing cost. Especially in luxury goods!

Oh well, I guess the Accountants in the World have all the influence in these companies. Just stupid thoughts, but I reckon a lot of people must have similar thoughts at times...

RudeOne
18th March 2008, 01:21 PM
Oh well, I guess the Accountants in the World have all the influence in these companies. Just stupid thoughts, but I reckon a lot of people must have similar thoughts at times...

Try again, how about: Shareholders demand double digit growth in earnings year after year forcing companies to find alternative methods in increasing margin, especially after all organic growth and aquisition growth has been tapped.