PDA

View Full Version : New Astra spied

GreyRex
4th March 2008, 09:05 AM
These are the very first pics i've seen of the new Astra. Hints of the Corsa can be seen with the new window infront of the side mirrors, and Vectra/Insignia in the dashboard... which now may be red

btm
4th March 2008, 09:30 AM
cant really tell much at all from those pics... good disguising on their behalf

SSS_Hoon
4th March 2008, 09:33 AM
yeah its a improvement on the current look hehehehe.

I do have to say that they have disguised it really well, and looking at those stickers makes my eyes hurt.

edit: to me looks a bit renault in there too.

SSS_Hoon

Snotty
4th March 2008, 09:44 AM
looks like one of those magic eye pictures, stare long enough and go cross eyed and you'll see the harbour bridge

btm
4th March 2008, 09:49 AM
from side on, can almost see a little bit of a carolla or a viva in there too... :rolleyes:

Wraith
4th March 2008, 10:12 AM
Agree with you guys, the cammo works well in disguising it....can't comment on its looks until we see it uncovered.

Does anyone know if it's an Opel or Daewoo ?? hope it's not a Daewoo....

USC
4th March 2008, 10:49 AM
hahaha...very well disguised! but from the overall shape, i think its a step back from the current model...its very Vivaish...:p

Wraith
4th March 2008, 10:56 AM
hahaha...very well disguised! but from the overall shape, i think its a step back from the current model...its very Vivaish...:p

Damn I hope it's not a Daewoo, that would be going backwards....

I noticed it has a similar kink on the sides, on the top of the doors, visible in the 1st pic. as what's been used on so many other hatches ATM, like the new Impreza and BMW 1 series hatch...

btm
4th March 2008, 10:57 AM
can almost see a little bit viva in there too... :rolleyes:

hope it's not a Daewoo....

its very Vivaish...:p

:eek: oh no...we all think the possibly the same thing! lets hope not!

Wraith
4th March 2008, 11:03 AM
:eek: oh no...we all think the possibly the same thing! lets hope not!

Yes, LOL I think if it ends up being a Daewoo alot of us will never buy a new Astra again !!!

It would have to be o/a very good, very highly equipped and very good looking for me to even consider if it does come from the Daewoo factory :(

Greg K
4th March 2008, 11:12 AM
whats going on with the back window??? getting smaller and smaller from the AH back window! possibly more customers switching to other manufacturers because of the limited rear vision visibility..

GreyRex
4th March 2008, 11:26 AM
whats going on with the back window??? getting smaller and smaller from the AH back window! possibly more customers switching to other manufacturers because of the limited rear vision visibility..

I thought about that too. I think the disguise is hiding a rear side window in the C pillar. If it's not, that's a huuuge blind spot. But anyway, there's always lots of comments about a car before it's released. For some reason, most seem to be negative. It's a base version in a five door. I'll reserve my judgement until i see a proper undisguised one, hopefully in a 3 door

Greg K
4th March 2008, 11:53 AM
I thought about that too. I think the disguise is hiding a rear side window in the C pillar. If it's not, that's a huuuge blind spot. But anyway, there's always lots of comments about a car before it's released. For some reason, most seem to be negative. It's a base version in a five door. I'll reserve my judgement until i see a proper undisguised one, hopefully in a 3 door

and as you say, the actual model will prob look totally different from these pics...

also i think it is made by Opel judging by the Euro plates on it...

Wraith
4th March 2008, 12:38 PM
and as you say, the actual model will prob look totally different from these pics...

also i think it is made by Opel judging by the Euro plates on it...

Hope so :)

Having another look at the pics, it looks like they've finally fitted mirror mounted side repeaters, love those and maybe what appears to be LEDs, probably for parkers in the headlights...

Rear window looks to have very large rounded area on each end, not as flat as the current car.

Hope too the 3 door will still incorporate that Calibra trademark sleek silhouette :)

Oh BTW does anyone know the projected release date of this new model Astra ???

NEMO
4th March 2008, 06:27 PM
its got xchaser wheels....

Vectracious
4th March 2008, 07:58 PM
Looks a bit rounded off like the Korean stuff.

The AH had the best rear visibility in all the cars tested in the current Wheels magazines safety test...

HappySlapper82
4th March 2008, 08:39 PM
Great :confused: . Looks Like they just handed another small car line over to deawoo. Just like the Barina/Kalos.

Shaun
4th March 2008, 08:50 PM
Its interesting. Take a look closely at the last pic of the rear end. Do i detect a IRS in the rear and / AWD???

SIMid
4th March 2008, 08:55 PM
Not a fan of the mini-mpv styling. I understand they are trying to increase interior space. All the Pugs have this styling, not my cup of tea. I prefer the clean window lines straight from the A-Pillar.

Vectracious
4th March 2008, 09:22 PM
Its interesting. Take a look closely at the last pic of the rear end. Do i detect a IRS in the rear and / AWD???

it does look like IRS a bit (weird strut on the right but not on the left??) - dunno about AWD though.

MatsHolden
4th March 2008, 09:46 PM
Does anyone else see possible independant rear suspension there?

EDIT: Didn't see the 2nd page.

MK
4th March 2008, 11:12 PM
http://www.caradvice.com.au/10798/2009-opel-holden-astra-spy-photos/

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080303.010/next-generation-opel-astra-spied-in-finland

btm
5th March 2008, 08:31 AM
Richo Says:
March 4th, 2008 at 10:33 pm
the current astra was really only a rebodied version of the older version.. same chassis, same suspension, same brakes, some engines, same gearbox’s, basically exactly the same car just heavier. Holden needs this car to be good because i HATE the current astra, mainly because i owned one and it broke down every 15 minutes

opelaus Says:
March 5th, 2008 at 2:46 am
sorry RICHO but your not a real opel fan just because you once drove one… i can honestly say you dont know anything about the astra seeing that you said it was just a rebodied one… research some more dude b4 you state somethin u dont know anything about

bahahahaha :D who wrote this?

SSS_Hoon
5th March 2008, 08:40 AM
Even i thought it was the same underneath as the G?

I think it was someone on here that told me that?

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
5th March 2008, 08:55 AM
its got xchaser wheels....

LOL, looks like they grabbed 4 TS spares and put em on that thing :)

Red AH SRI T
5th March 2008, 04:13 PM
All you people going on about Daewoo and the Astra know shit.

Daewoo aint gunna have anything to do with the new Astra.

new Astra is built on the Delta II platform, although it is possible that the new Nubira (Viva) may be built on a variation of this.

I also heard that the new Astra will be built in Saab's plant in Trolhattan whilst the 9-3 and 9-5 Saab's move to Ruselheim??

Wraith
5th March 2008, 05:30 PM
All you people going on about Daewoo and the Astra know shit.

Daewoo aint gunna have anything to do with the new Astra.

new Astra is built on the Delta II platform, although it is possible that the new Nubira (Viva) may be built on a variation of this.

I also heard that the new Astra will be built in Saab's plant in Trolhattan whilst the 9-3 and 9-5 Saab's move to Ruselheim??

Well thankyou very much Mr 'know it all' LOL

That is the whole idea of this thread isn't it :rolleyes:

We are all just speculating on what we 'think' none of us know the facts...

You should've come in early and put all our minds at ease :)

Vectracious
5th March 2008, 07:31 PM

I hope not - Opel build quality isn't exactly 100% in itself, but it sure as hell is better than Saab's!!!

USC
6th March 2008, 01:47 PM
I hope not - Opel build quality isn't exactly 100% in itself, but it sure as hell is better than Saab's!!!

I thought SAAB was a luxury brand and thus of high build quality:confused:

Wraith
6th March 2008, 02:27 PM

You've never owned or know someone who does own one or at least driven one ???

What Pete said is absolutely true, the older models like mid 90's to 00 are absolute rubbish, knew a girl once who purchased a new '95 model vert and it kept breaking down in all manner of ways, good friend of mine has a 2005 model turbo vert, my TS vert is way better IMHO in finish and looks and cost 2/3rds the price ;)

I love the way they use their aerospace division which has absolutely nothing to do with their car business, to 'help' advertise their cars LOL....

Vectracious
6th March 2008, 06:46 PM

LOL @ Luxury brand and LOL @ build quality.

I know someone with a 9-5 who's roof lining fell on them while they were driving! Another girl though her dreams had come true when she picked up a 9000 (her favourite model) and she ended up spending almost as much on repairs that she did when she bought the car.

Interior finish is crap, exterior styling is crap, they're just crap.

btm
7th March 2008, 08:59 AM
just crap all round :p

Wraith
7th March 2008, 09:48 AM
just crap all round :p

LOL they certainly are....my good friend I mentioned who has a 2005 SAAB vert almost wanted to go and trade it out after inspecting my TS vert and realising what a piece of shit he had by comparison that had cost 25k more too LOL :D

Hopefully the recently released new model is better.....

btm
7th March 2008, 09:57 AM
Hopefully the recently released new model is better.....

they have been hoping that every time they releases a new one :D

mattywood85
11th March 2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Guys,

I can confirm with you that there will NOT be a three door coming to Aus in this new shape.

Also expected release is going to be late this year Ie September same time as the AH release in 04 or it will be early next year.

Hope this helps. I am trying to find out more info day by day through people I know.

There are no more AH CD Coupe's in Aus anymore.

Cheers Matt

Red AH SRI T
12th March 2008, 07:46 AM
Sounds like the info you're talking about it the updated AH8.5, not the all new Astra.

Greg K
12th March 2008, 08:22 AM
Hey Guys,

I can confirm with you that there will NOT be a three door coming to Aus in this new shape.

Also expected release is going to be late this year Ie September same time as the AH release in 04 or it will be early next year.

Hope this helps. I am trying to find out more info day by day through people I know.

Cheers Matt

as well as SRI 5 doors...

Wraith
12th March 2008, 08:49 AM
Hey Guys,

Cheers Matt

No 3 door ???

If true that would be a damn shame :(

What about the future of the Sri t or VXR models for Aust. then ??? surely GMH wouldn't delete these models ??? :mad:

btm
12th March 2008, 09:01 AM
Red, are you able to shed any more light??

seems strange that they would just scrap the 3 door model???

Wraith
12th March 2008, 09:59 AM

And alot of sales of one of their best selling car models !!!!

Dosn't make sense at all - unless they have something else up their sleeve ??? maybe a 3 door model from an alternative source - hopefully NOT Daewoo :mad:

cdxi
12th March 2008, 10:21 AM
Hey Guys,

Cheers Matt

Hard to think that the new Astra will debut here in 08 or even early 09 given that the Insignia is set to hit the Birmingham Motor Show in July with a UK on-sale in Sept/Oct. The gap between major new releases in market segments by Opel/Vauxhall has generally been 12-18 months.

No more AH CD Coupes in Australia?

They're obviously all here in Perth dealerships - spilling out the doors!

SSS_Hoon
12th March 2008, 10:54 AM
I think that they have realised that the 3 doors sells fairly well and the SRiT and VXR aint so much as other 3 door astra's. So maybe they are doing it to try and increase the 3 door sporty models sales figures.

Or as already stated they are going to bring in more Daewoo cars instead.

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
12th March 2008, 11:35 AM
I think that they have realised that the 3 doors sells fairly well and the SRiT and VXR aint so much as other 3 door astra's. So maybe they are doing it to try and increase the 3 door sporty models sales figures.

Or as already stated they are going to bring in more Daewoo cars instead.

SSS_Hoon

Coupe is a strong seller for Holden . SRi T Is selling in good numbers. Dont see many sitting round on Dealerships floor plan.

VXR well only thoses who can appricate the true values of a Hot Hatch are buying them i guess.. HAHAHAHA

rjastra
12th March 2008, 12:17 PM
Astra sales, in general, are in decline. I think it was 11% in the last year in a bouyant small car market.

I suppose one way of reducing costs is to rationalise the model range. 3 door cars aren't big sellers in Australia. Holden would probably sell more turbos if they were able to sell a 5 door version. All the competitors are 5 door models (golf, xr5, mps3)

Wraith
12th March 2008, 12:32 PM
Astra sales, in general, are in decline. I think it was 11% in the last year in a bouyant small car market.

I suppose one way of reducing costs is to rationalise the model range. 3 door cars aren't big sellers in Australia. Holden would probably sell more turbos if they were able to sell a 5 door version. All the competitors are 5 door models (golf, xr5, mps3)

That's actually a good point, the Impreza Wrx and Sti are also 5 door hatches...

Maybe then they'll introduce turbo models with the 5 door new range ???

Pity if we do lose the 3 door, there's no comparison in the visual department :(

SSS_Hoon
12th March 2008, 12:35 PM
The Golf is available in both 3 and 5 door variants, i myslef prefer the 3 door variants then the 5 door versions.

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
12th March 2008, 12:37 PM

Read this article. The says the Astra is Australia's Best Selling European Import.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/motoring-news/story/holden_astra_cheap_and_good_looking/?from=CG_email

I honestly cant see Holden pulling out of the model range of the astra. They have increased it due to damend. If anything dropping the Vectra and Barina has been one of the best things they could have done. It allowed them to open up doors for more Variants of the Astra to be imported which has proven to be successful for them according to the article.

rjastra
12th March 2008, 02:01 PM
Sorry I was mistaken about Astra sales. They are actually down 22% year on year for February (approx 1400 vs 4200 corolla sales) and the korean Barina is nearly matching its monthly sales figure.

They sell more lancers in a month (one body style/one engine remember!) than all Astra variants (3 body shapes and 4 engines).

The best selling european small car is in fact the Golf based on last month's figures (1462).

GreyRex
12th March 2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry I was mistaken about Astra sales. They are actually down 22% year on year for February (approx 1400 vs 4200 corolla sales) and the korean Barina is nearly matching its monthly sales figure.

They sell more lancers in a month (one body style/one engine remember!) than all Astra variants (3 body shapes and 4 engines).

The best selling european small car is in fact the Golf based on last month's figures (1462).

Ah well, less common. I like that:)

Wraith
12th March 2008, 04:19 PM
Ah well, less common. I like that:)

+1

Agree, less sales = less common = great for a car enthusiast, but less sales = bad for the car manufacturer/seller, so maybe that is why they're cancelling the 3 door Astra, still bloody shame if it happens :(

GreyRex
12th March 2008, 04:58 PM
I don't think they'll cancel it. Obviously i'm just talking as my own opinion, but considering it's what their sports models are based on... nah. I haven't read all of this thread... but are we talking base models, or entire three door range being imported?? I would feel if anything... a slimming of the range is what would happen

Shaun
12th March 2008, 08:13 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/218646/vauxhall_astra.html

Wraith
13th March 2008, 09:31 AM

WOOOOHOOO I hope all this news is true :)

It looks very nice, I dare say alot of Beemer 1 series and even Impreza styling there especially side on !!!!

So there will be a VXR variant (they don't mention 3 or 5 door) with 184kw and AWD :eek: I say bring it and we will buy it !!!!!!! :D

CNBLU
13th March 2008, 09:48 AM
i should definately start saving my pennies:D , that thing would be a weapon. Finally AWD:clap:

Wraith
13th March 2008, 09:53 AM
i should definately start saving my pennies:D , that thing would be a weapon. Finally AWD:clap:

Yes agree :)

Lets hope too, it is all new and good technology - definitely don't want a repeat of the pathetic job they did with the AWD Cali and others before it !!!!! here's hoping :pray:

blueraven
13th March 2008, 10:20 AM
So there will be a VXR variant (they don't mention 3 or 5 door) with 184kw and AWD :eek: I say bring it and we will buy it !!!!!!! :D

Only if its priced properly...

if its more then the wrx/ralliart lancer it will tank...

edit: If its the same price as the vxr is currently, it will have to be ALOT better than them to win the sales..

Wraith
13th March 2008, 11:43 AM
Only if its priced properly...

if its more then the wrx/ralliart lancer it will tank...

edit: If its the same price as the vxr is currently, it will have to be ALOT better than them to win the sales..

Agree and that's what I'm hoping for too :)

As I've mentioned in the 'VXR news thread' your are right, the current VXR pricing is way too high for what you get, compared to the likes of the new Wrx and Ralliart Lancer they leave it for dead in terms of both value for money and bang for buck, so hopefully the new VXR AWD will be appropriately priced - always doubtful with the greedy bean counters at HSV trying to pull as much mark up profit as possible....

KingOfAstras
13th March 2008, 11:52 AM
yuckyyyy :P

mattywood85
13th March 2008, 11:54 PM
I am only going from what my work has told me which is a Nissan/Holden Dealership here in Brisbane. I double checked with them and it is true there is no 3 door. They could be wrong though I hope so becasue the 3 door looks ok.

Cheers Matt

immenotu
14th March 2008, 07:46 AM
The front end on the new astra concept looks disgusting. From the a-pillar back it is ok but style wise I think its a step back from the current model.

Red AH SRI T
14th March 2008, 07:57 AM
as well as SRI 5 doors...
The 5 Door SRi was dropped, and the SRi has continued only as Coupe. However with the forthcoming AH8.5 range the SRi 5 Door will be re-introduced.

*Turns a light on*

No more Astra CD and CDX Coupes. Only the newly updated SRi and SRi Turbo Coupe's and VXR.
Wagon will only come in an Auto.
Diesel (CDTi) will become CDX TD.
SRi will no longer have 2.2, only 1.8.
Equipment upgrades across the range.

btm
14th March 2008, 09:38 AM
:confused:

so how are they going to sell it as a 'better' model?

Red AH SRI T
14th March 2008, 09:52 AM
Who knows??

Although its know Holden's marketing team can work wonders.

astro boy
14th March 2008, 10:00 AM
Who give feck about all those other things. The turbo model finally gets awd!

Greg K
14th March 2008, 10:04 AM
The 5 Door SRi was dropped, and the SRi has continued only as Coupe. However with the forthcoming AH8.5 range the SRi 5 Door will be re-introduced.

*Turns a light on*

No more Astra CD and CDX Coupes. Only the newly updated SRi and SRi Turbo Coupe's and VXR.

thanks mate... the info may help in choosing to the right time to go for a new astra for the missus...

astralogical
18th March 2008, 02:58 AM

what look to be artists impressions of the new shape and an announced date. Looks alright if a little too Focus-ey? anywho... thought I'd share

Wraith
18th March 2008, 09:03 AM

what look to be artists impressions of the new shape and an announced date. Looks alright if a little too Focus-ey? anywho... thought I'd share

This has already been posted....check Shaun's post and link - previous page :)

rjastra
18th March 2008, 10:02 AM
:confused:

so how are they going to sell it as a 'better' model?

The same way Toyota sell the SR/ZR Corolla (with the same 1.8L) as a "better car".

Dee
18th March 2008, 10:28 AM
but the new corollas have a 6 spd manual instead of 5... that makes it all that much better doesnt it???

i guess it's just the new shape - the least opel could do is change the engine... TS, AH, now the new model... it's wearing out it's welcome

Apex
18th March 2008, 10:51 AM
Just as the current AH looks to have a few Fiat Stilo styling cues the new one (although only an artists impression) looks to have a very Bravo look.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_500/car_photo_250227_25.jpg
http://www.automotoportal.com/media/images/vijesti/061026006.2.jpg
Source: automotoportal.com

Wraith
18th March 2008, 11:49 AM
Just as the current AH looks to have a few Fiat Stilo styling cues the new one (although only an artists impression) looks to have a very Bravo look.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_500/car_photo_250227_25.jpg
http://www.automotoportal.com/media/images/vijesti/061026006.2.jpg
Source: automotoportal.com

In my eyes, I actually see more Mazda 3 there, especially in the rear quarter panel and tailgate, almost identical lines the Mazda 3 hatch...but overall very similar to the Punto...

SIMid
18th March 2008, 07:24 PM
More Bravo to me overall. A Pillar more Citroen. Kick of the rear window as the Mazda 3.

Hmmmm ....... not liking what I see so far.

Wraith
18th March 2008, 08:00 PM
One thing I just noticed, the inner part or lenses maybe they are of the tail light assemblies are very Audish.....look the same only longer to what Audi have in alot of their latest vehicles - R8, TT etc.

These new Astra pics are indeed a combination of many other types of cars rolled into one, we'll have to wait and see the final product before final judgement I think :)

USC
19th March 2008, 11:27 AM
Hopefully they will fix the steaming rear lights problem in this one!

Wraith
19th March 2008, 11:33 AM
Hopefully they will fix the steaming rear lights problem in this one!

That is a problem with the AH tail lights only I believe ?? maybe they're using a different supplier for those ??

But it's a good point, hopefully they'll use or source better quality components all around, I'm sure there'll be a nominal price hike with the new model, so it's justfied :)

EL BURITO
19th March 2008, 11:36 AM
bet there will be size will increrase too

Wraith
19th March 2008, 11:45 AM
bet there will be size will increrase too

No doubt, size and weight increase, geez I hate that :(

Seriously when will this trend stop ??? it's one of the reasons I love but would never buy a VE, their size has grown to a ridiculously large proportion IMHO, the next model will be the size of a small bus - where is the sense in that ???

The new Corolla sedan for example is almost as big as a VT Commodore of old....manufactures have to introduce new models for their smaller car range....

At least one manufacturer IMO has got it right with their new model, the Subaru Impreza, as I've stated before IMO this car is perfectly sized and not any bigger or heavier than the previous models...

EL BURITO
19th March 2008, 11:52 AM
No doubt, size and weight increase, geez I hate that :(

Seriously when will this trend stop ??? it's one of the reasons I love but would never buy a VE, their size has grown to a ridiculously large proportion IMHO, the next model will be the size of a small bus - where is the sense in that ???

The new Corolla sedan for example is almost as big as a VT Commodore of old....manufactures have to introduce new models for their smaller car range....

At least one manufacturer IMO has got it right with their new model, the Subaru Impreza, as I've stated before IMO this car is perfectly sized and not any bigger or heavier than the previous models...
have a look at the new Corsa D thou its deff bigger than the C and the Argile (think wats its called) is now just under the size of the B.

I was under the impression that is to get ppl to upgrade with out really knowing they are doing so.

I do agree thou the VE is of a stupid size, have you seen a new lancer next to a VZ thou the lancer looks bigger WTF no wounder it uses so much fuel 7.8 & 8.2 on the window if i recall correctly

rjastra
19th March 2008, 11:54 AM

It's not even close

VT is 36cm longer, 8cm wider and has a 20cm longer wheelbase and 220kg heavier.

EL BURITO
19th March 2008, 01:04 PM
It's not even close

Given, but it is a older car and metals weighted more in relation to what needed to be put into a car than what is required now in relation to the increase of tech

GreyRex
19th March 2008, 01:10 PM
It's not even close

I don't think he was meaning stat for stat for stat. It just looks bigger than it should, or what we're used to.

It's more or less how it's been for a very long time, which we all know. In order for you to upgrade with the same manufacturer... most of time, things incorporated include increased safety, increased features and sometimes increased power. Increased space is always a major marketing tool, either against a previous model or competitors. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.

Wraith
19th March 2008, 01:12 PM
It's not even close

Was just quoting a visual reference after checking one out last week for my Bro, as you've pointed out above, not quite there, but seeing it in the flesh it looks just as boofy and is probably taller in height than a VT, it certainly did have more headroom than my old VT R8 ;) - thank goodness it weighs less, imagine the 4 potters fuel burn at a similar weight to a VT...

Wraith
19th March 2008, 01:15 PM
I don't think he was meaning stat for stat for stat. It just looks bigger than it should, or what we're used to.

Correct - thanks for that :)

I did say "looks ' almost ' as big" :)

EL BURITO
19th March 2008, 01:18 PM

It's more or less how it's been for a very long time, which we all know. In order for you to upgrade with the same manufacturer... most of time, things incorporated include increased safety, increased features and sometimes increased power. Increased space is always a major marketing tool, either against a previous model or competitors. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.
Look at the 1st thing Holden marketed as a Astra compared to now. 20 years and the engine is bigger and the car 60% larger

rjastra
20th March 2008, 10:05 AM
You could apply this notion to any nameplate.

A 1948 Holden was much smaller than a 1964 EH that was smaller than an HQ
The Civic has grown markedly in its 30yrs.
The new Accord (and Mondeo) is approaching the size of a Falcon.

The only reason we really notice this is because the Corolla, Civic, Accord, Commodore etc have been on the market for such along time. Most other times the nameplates dissappear before it becomes apparent.

Smaller cars (with a new nameplate) are slotted in below. Jazz, Mazda2, Mitsubishi "i", Focus etc.

I find it funny how people equate the Lancer as being as big as a original Magna. The Magna (which was kinda large in 1985) was actually the Galant in other markets. Remember how small a Galant was in the early 70s? :)

The only car I can remember recently getting smaller was the new Mazda2. But I assume that was mostly to turn a rather bland but ulitarian car into something more swoopy and stylish. The Mazda6 on the other hand has increased in size and weight.

poita
20th March 2008, 10:10 AM
and the new mini aint no friggin mini anymore

MK
20th March 2008, 10:43 PM

*Turns a light on*

hi, how are you?

what colours range can we expect?

when will the Astra I arrive in Australia, would a 2010 be a close estimate?

( i am asking because i am considering an upgrade to a white or red SRi coupe or a station wagon and if the Astra I arrives in AU in 2010 then i can wait )

Red AH SRI T
21st March 2008, 10:10 AM
I don't have any info on the all new Astra. Only on updates to the current shape.

USC
25th March 2008, 12:14 AM
http://loadinform.com/2010-opel-astra/

check out the new astra :)

Wraith
25th March 2008, 08:49 AM
http://loadinform.com/2010-opel-astra/

check out the new astra :)

This similar to what's already been posted twice on previous pages :)

Someone will have to find some 'real' pics if any exist...

GreyRex
10th April 2008, 09:14 AM
More pics are slowly coming to light... but damn those chequered camouflages do their job!! Can't really tell too much... along with the D pillar being hidden. Overall the proportions look good. Of course there'll be the annoying... "this looks like this, this looks like that" stuff, but im sure we'll see more soon

http://www.leftlanenews.com/saturn-astra-future.html

Wraith
10th April 2008, 09:37 AM
That's way too much cammo to get any clear picture...

But O/A shape it does look more rounded and nicer than the current square/blocky looking AH 5 door...

Hopefully they do it right with this next new model :rolleyes: there's too much very good competition out there, so they wouldn't want to stuff up...

Huhness
10th April 2008, 12:46 PM
Astra losing the Z22SE?

MatsHolden
10th April 2008, 12:51 PM
Don't know if anyone's noticed the wiper setup... And posisbly LED parkers running around the outer top corners of the headlamps. Watching this car very closely as its release date will be around the time i'll look at parting with the Corsa.

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/april2008/astra-2.jpg

GreyRex
10th April 2008, 01:20 PM
Don't know if anyone's noticed the wiper setup... And posisbly LED parkers running around the outer top corners of the headlamps. Watching this car very closely as its release date will be around the time i'll look at parting with the Corsa.

Good point. They may now be ones which sweep up and out to each side, like the Civic etc. The left wiper mark seem to suggest this, as it looks to be sitting under the driver's side one (in the pic). Guess thats a results of the windscreen being longer with those new windows at the mirrors. The leds look a bit Audish there ey. If you look closely, you can perfectly see the headlight design on both sides too

MatsHolden
10th April 2008, 01:21 PM
Good point. They may now be ones which sweep up and out to each side, like the Civic etc. The leds look a bit Audish there ey

Yeh the pivot points are on the outside, so wipers doing opposing arcs as on Peugots etc.

sooty
10th April 2008, 06:02 PM
But O/A shape it does look more rounded and nicer than the current square/blocky looking AH 5 door...

Ouch for the ugly duckling lol

MK
10th April 2008, 09:16 PM
ahh crap! no more smooth tailgate :(

Wraith
10th April 2008, 09:29 PM
Ouch for the ugly duckling lol

I apologise, no offence intended :)

sooty
10th April 2008, 09:31 PM
I apologise, no offence intended :)
Lol, no need to apologise, the words you speak are those of the truth, stock standard she's no beauty, but with a bit of work, you never know lol...
There's talent hiding under there somewhere...just needs a bit of cosmetic surgery to help it out lol;)

MatsHolden
10th April 2008, 09:32 PM
ahh crap! no more smooth tailgate :(

Wouldn't take too much notice mate. They've tacked on a whole lot of items that won't be production items. ie. tail lights, c-pillar padded out etc.

Also noticed factory sunroof. And the wipers overlapping differently on the first spy pics to that of the latest spy pics due to one being right hand drive and the other being left.

MatsHolden
10th April 2008, 09:34 PM
Lol, no need to apologise, the words you speak are those of the truth, stock standard she's no beauty, but with a bit of work, you never know lol...
There's talent hiding under there somewhere...just needs a bit of cosmetic surgery to help it out lol;)

I don't know, personally I think it's not bad at all. The AH 3-door/coupe is definately one of the best looking hatches around.

Wraith
10th April 2008, 09:37 PM
I don't know, personally I think it's not bad at all. The AH 3-door/coupe is definately one of the best looking hatches around.

Totally agree, in my eyes the AH 3 door is like a different car to the 5 door...very nice looking, it's all due to that Calibra DNA though ;)

sooty
10th April 2008, 09:39 PM
This is also true...Ange just referenced the 5dr ;)

MatsHolden
10th April 2008, 09:41 PM
This is also true...Ange just referenced the 5dr ;)

Yeh was saying the 5 door wasn't that bad.

sooty
10th April 2008, 09:44 PM
Yeh was saying the 5 door wasn't that bad.

Oh fair enough. Yeah, could definitely be worse.
I'm determined that mine'll look good by the time i sell her lol, it's still a long way off, but in the immediate future the new grille and springs will help ;)

Wraith
10th April 2008, 09:48 PM
Oh fair enough. Yeah, could definitely be worse.
I'm determined that mine'll look good by the time i sell her lol, it's still a long way off, but in the immediate future the new grille and springs will help ;)

I've seen yours in the members rides, it does look heaps better than stock, that's for sure, look forward to seeing it in the flesh on Sunday :)

In all honesty I'd take a 5 door AH over many other hatches out there ATM ;)

sooty
10th April 2008, 09:53 PM
I've seen yours in the members rides, it does look heaps better than stock, that's for sure, look forward to seeing it in the flesh on Sunday :)

In all honesty I'd take a 5 door AH over many other hatches out there ATM ;)

Thanks for the kind words, but she's def still a work in progress
I guess anything stock in not a sports model always requires a bit of work.
We are a little :offtopic:..so i guess we should :lamor: :D

GreyRex
17th April 2008, 04:06 PM
Don't know if anyone say this. Shows the interior...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/220239/vauxhall_astra.html

Red AH SRI T
18th April 2008, 09:27 AM
it looks as though the interior will be very similar to the Insignia's.