PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a cheap car...advice needed

MK
29th February 2008, 07:03 PM
ladies and gents,

my friend decided to purchase a car and asked me to help him out with it...so tomorrow i will be a taxi driver to take him around Sydney in order to find him his first wheels.

i have not purchased a used car in a long time so i need few pointersand helpful hints.

he is on a very tight budget, maximum $4000AUD.

he would prefer an automatic but does not care if its 4cyl, V6 or V8.

what i am after is some pointers as to what to look out for when getting for eg a 1995 VR Commodore with 250,000Km on the clock, or what to look out for if he for eg likes a 1999 Lantra with 220,000Km on the clock...that kind of jazz.

just so i can explain to him what to expect for eg 6months after he purchases it...

cheers,
Marcin

daaaaavek
29th February 2008, 07:38 PM
My advice - look at Toyotas if you're looking at high-KM cars.

blueraven
29th February 2008, 10:05 PM
agreed.... toyota or volvo for high k's.

everything else just drive it, and check EVERYthing you can.

EL BURITO
29th February 2008, 10:12 PM
My advice - look at Toyotas if you're looking at high-KM cars.
yep agree there

corrolas and camerys

the corrola was a 83 model with 180km's on the clock RWD (WTF) 1.3 feels better than than early 90's i have driven

Camery well its still going with 370 xxx on

d.c.
29th February 2008, 11:44 PM
Have to agree with everyone above, take the 4k and buy a Toyota they just seem to go forever.

Dave
1st March 2008, 04:32 AM
you can pick up 98 ish VT's with 180 ish on the clock for 4g,

All ur usual crap to look out for, oil leaks, suspension travel, wierd engine noises, diff play, universal play........ go over it with a fine tooth comb and ask for a full service history and ull be sweet. Any wierd nocking or blackish blue smoke, walk away save your self the hassel.

That being said i picked up a 85 astra as my first car ( rebadged nissan pulsar ) with 250 on the clock and it was still going strong to the day the guy i sold it to decided it was bright to drive drunk and crash it.

Gambit
1st March 2008, 08:51 AM
OR... an E-Series falcon, which will have more power and torque than any of those Toyotas, has a more refined, near indestructible, straight six they've always had. You should find that you'll get power windows, mirrors, air con standard.

Insurance will be almost nothing and repairs will be cheap enough that you'll spend more on lunch.

mr corsa
1st March 2008, 09:00 AM
get your hands on a n14 or n 15 pulsar bought mine 3yrs ago with 150,000 for $2500 and still going strong and now with 385,690 kms and two rear enders accidents both m4 lol and no mech problems at all and i change oil every 5000 km and still getting 530kms per tank of petrol (e10) and 98 every 3rd or 4th tank