PDA

View Full Version : New Aerial Atom - 500hp V8!!

poita
29th February 2008, 02:54 PM
http://image.motortrend.com/f/car-news/ariel-atom-v8-500-horsepower-1-100-pounds/8080733+cr1+re0+ar1/ariel-atom-v8.jpg

If you thought the latest iteration of the Ariel Atom was wild, the U.K.-based sports car manufacturer has a new Atom that will likely leave you breathless. In response, no doubt, to the 500 horsepower Catherham 7 RS, Ariel is using the same supercharged, 10,000 rpm, 2.4-liter V-8 in its own road rocket -- a mighty improvement over the 245 horsepower, 2.0-liter VTEC Honda I4 in the current Atom 3. The engine, co-developed with RS Developments, will feature five valves per cylinder, a dry sump oil system, and a Sadev six-speed paddle-shift sequential gearbox.

More of a road-going formula car than anything else, the majority of the new Atom's bodywork will be made from carbon fiber -- helping to pare weight down to a paltry 1,102 lbs. Of course, that means that the car will feature a power-to-weight ratio of nearly 1,000 horsepower/ton. Very impressive stuff.

As would be expected, other components have been replaced or revised to cope with over double the power of the Atom 3. Four-piston Alcon brake calipers are found at all four corners, Dynamag wheels are fitted, the suspension wishbones get a new aerodynamic shape, and a rear wing gives the Atom some well-deserved downforce over the rear axle. Launch and traction control will both be fitted as standard -- a very good idea, we think.

No word yet on price or availability, but herer's a photo to ogle while you're waiting. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to polish up your race helmet. You're definitely going to need it to drive this windshield-less beast around.

btm
29th February 2008, 03:09 PM
40V V8

WTF??

put some wings on her and she'd fly! :p

PaulyJ
29th February 2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah... my jocks and i are really not getting along today. First the monaro... now this...

oneightoo
29th February 2008, 04:11 PM
the atom with the v-tec smashed all!! anow they just go an double the power!!

i wanna see the top gear review of this!!

poita
29th February 2008, 04:30 PM
i would love to hear a 2.4L supercharged V8 revving to 10,000rpm
would be bloody awesome!!

Wraith
29th February 2008, 05:06 PM
Now that's HOT......that I'd have :)

Pauly my jocks are exploded over that 2 door coupe concept also :o :D

We'll have to wait and see if it materialises :pray:

Calibrated
29th February 2008, 08:10 PM
Waa waa wee waaa

CORZZA
1st March 2008, 01:52 PM
with something so light and powerful i think id like something over my head!