PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the new Focus XR5/ST

GreyRex
29th February 2008, 11:20 AM
Here are the latest real pics. Any opinions welcome...

For me the exterior is pretty nice (although i prefer the 3 door VXR shape). The interior = not nice. Plastics on dash and doors are all different colours... still. Imitation carbon fibre doesnt look good and HVAC controls under the radio look cheap. But thats just my opinion

OPC
29th February 2008, 11:23 AM
i like it... id buy one if it had an opel badge and had more power

Wraith
29th February 2008, 11:29 AM
There was a similar thread not long ago :)

I like it and I've have one for sure - looks wise it's da bomb :D IMHO one of the best looking hatches ATM and the interior is a definite step up on the previous model :)

As for more power - easily down with that beautiful 5 cylinder engine :)

Question I want to know is: will the 3 door come to Aust. ???

Also I'm really wanting to see the proposed RS variant with AWD and well over 200kw :D

sooty
29th February 2008, 11:36 AM
I've seen worse.
Once again ford chooses to change the front whilst maintaing the same rear end (maybe minor changes but i can't see em)
it's definitely not an ugly car exterior wise. Interior looks cheap and tacky.
Couldn't see myself driving one. but wouldn't scoff at someone for doing so

maloo97
29th February 2008, 11:47 AM
Its Actually pritty good.

btm
29th February 2008, 11:51 AM
looks good, goes good

USC
29th February 2008, 12:11 PM
Dont really like the rear lights next to the window, the roof aerial close to the windscreen, the huge mouth below the grille on the front bumper, the interior plastics on the dash.

Like the 5 cylinder turbo engine, the headlights, the shape of the 3 door body, the seats, the alloys.

poita
29th February 2008, 12:25 PM
the centre console fake carbon firbe look makes it look cheap
its not a bad lookin car at all

Greg K
29th February 2008, 12:34 PM
i think its the colour that doesnt do it justice... i particularly dont like the wheels (same as previous model) and the rear end (identical to previous model).

i do like the fact its a 2 door, but would take a VXR over it any day!

btm
29th February 2008, 02:37 PM
personally, i really like it in white

JohnBu
29th February 2008, 03:35 PM
i like it..

is white available in Aust?

btm
29th February 2008, 03:46 PM
i think only the three door would look good in white.

tuzinski
29th February 2008, 03:56 PM
new model looks nice.
id take the xr5 turb in that orange colour they have

PaulyJ
29th February 2008, 03:56 PM
That is one hot looking hatch.
They could've done something with the rear tho

GreyRex
29th February 2008, 03:58 PM
Bit random, but here's the previous 3 door shape in white. Neither of which was released here

rjastra
29th February 2008, 04:29 PM
I think part of the poor look of the interior can be directly attributed to the lighting use to take the picture. Looks like they used a 300W light or an incredibly bright flash :) The picture is way overexposed.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/images/ford-focus-2008-4-big.jpg

aussie_in_london
3rd March 2008, 07:49 AM
I am waiting to see the focus RS, a near production concept will be on show at the Brit motorshow in July, if its up to scratch and a better package then the insignia VXR then you never know the corsa VXR may go to make way for one to join the astra in the garage :)

Shaun
3rd March 2008, 10:54 AM
I quite like the XR5T. The Volvo Engine makes it stand out to me. But its only let down (and reason i didnt buy one ) is the lack of cruise control. I would have had an Electric Orange one had i bought one.

rjastra
4th March 2008, 09:46 AM
I quite like the XR5T. The Volvo Engine makes it stand out to me. But its only let down (and reason i didnt buy one ) is the lack of cruise control. I would have had an Electric Orange one had i bought one.

You can get an aftermarket CC kit.

Wraith
4th March 2008, 10:42 AM

I was actually thinking exactly the same thing, when I read Shauns post....

If I really liked a car and all it was missing that I really wanted was cruise control, that's so easily fixed, there are a number of good quality aftermarket kits which you can get :)

New model should have cruise control fitted ??

GreyRex
4th March 2008, 10:50 AM
Some people don't like fiddling with the electronics on their car, which is understandable... warranty/insurance etc. I know all the 'it has to be proven stuff', but there's still a risk... that's all. I'm also a member on the Focus forum and i think only two people Australia wide have done this:)

Wraith
4th March 2008, 11:13 AM
Some people don't like fiddling with the electronics on their car, which is understandable... warranty/insurance etc. I know all the 'it has to be proven stuff', but there's still a risk... that's all. I'm also a member on the Focus forum and i think only two people Australia wide have done this:)

Fair enough, each to their own, I'm always enhancing the electronic features of all my cars, so I wouldn't have any probs with it :)

Also it depends on how much you rely on or use this feature :)

Shaun
4th March 2008, 11:22 AM

Why though.. If your paying close to 40k for a car on the road or above it it should be a standard feature.

The $32000 Mazda Has it standard.

Reason being the dont come from factory with cruise standard has something to do with the Electroincs of the ESP im told. but they are working on a fix im also told.

Shaun

rjastra
4th March 2008, 01:53 PM
Why though.. If your paying close to 40k for a car on the road or above it it should be a standard feature.

Reason being the dont come from factory with cruise standard has something to do with the Electroincs of the ESP im told. but they are working on a fix im also told.

Shaun

Find that a tad difficult to believe as the Volvo C30 T5 has the same chassis and engine yet is fitted with CC :)

Has another had their CC engaged and deliberately provoked the ESP? Turns the CC of instantly.

Shaun
5th March 2008, 11:19 AM
Find that a tad difficult to believe as the Volvo C30 T5 has the same chassis and engine yet is fitted with CC :)

Has another had their CC engaged and deliberately provoked the ESP? Turns the CC of instantly.

Just Because Volvo and Ford share a platform and engine dont mean they use the same programs.

Do you really understand the principal in the electronics . Ford Australia Official Stance on this is exactly what i have post.

The communication between the ESP and cruise control would not communicate. Thats ford official word on it.How ever they are working on a fix in the face lift version as they have alot of complaints both here and overseas .

EL BURITO
5th March 2008, 11:47 AM
I know that this is the same deal on my car. am trying to find some one who is able to fit a system. guess it should not be too much of a issue to override if i am willing to sign off on public liabilty ect of the company

rjastra
6th March 2008, 09:48 AM
Just Because Volvo and Ford share a platform and engine dont mean they use the same programs.

Do you really understand the principal in the electronics . Ford Australia Official Stance on this is exactly what i have post.

The communication between the ESP and cruise control would not communicate. Thats ford official word on it.How ever they are working on a fix in the face lift version as they have alot of complaints both here and overseas .

Of course I am aware of how it works. In fact the use of electronic throttles has made CC inclusion easier than it has ever been. Why else do you see a plethora of new (and cheap) cars being fitted with CC as standard? Basically as it costs bugger all extra for the manufacturers to fit.

I just had a brief squiz at the FOcus specs O/S. The only way to get cruise control is if you specify a non-sports 4-spoke steering wheel (as the controls are on the wheel not the stalks). This is probably the real reason that the ST/XR5 doesn't have CC. They simply didn't have time to retro-fit the controls to the 3 spoke steering wheel and there is no space on the columns stalks for the extra controls.
ESP interface is not the issue as all Focii in europe come with ESP as standard.

Another clue is the fact that very same engine and transmission (+ ESP) is available in the SMax.. with CC ;) Adaptive CC if you wish as well.

SSS_Hoon
6th March 2008, 10:03 AM
STALLOWNED......

i like that in white the 3 door, although i doubt we will see it here.

Im a white car convert, used to hate white cars now i love them, seen a MAGNUM(300c wagon) in white all pimped out looked awesome.

SSS_Hoon

GreyRex
6th March 2008, 10:17 AM
Of course I am aware of how it works. In fact the use of electronic throttles has made CC inclusion easier than it has ever been. Why else do you see a plethora of new (and cheap) cars being fitted with CC as standard? Basically as it costs bugger all extra for the manufacturers to fit.

I just had a brief squiz at the FOcus specs O/S. The only way to get cruise control is if you specify a non-sports 4-spoke steering wheel (as the controls are on the wheel not the stalks). This is probably the real reason that the ST/XR5 doesn't have CC. They simply didn't have time to retro-fit the controls to the 3 spoke steering wheel and there is no space on the columns stalks for the extra controls.
ESP interface is not the issue as all Focii in europe come with ESP as standard.

Another clue is the fact that very same engine and transmission (+ ESP) is available in the SMax.. with CC ;) Adaptive CC if you wish as well.

Nice point. Either that or the fact they'd have to design a fourth stalk for the right hand side of the wheel... which would equate to a few $$$

Wraith
6th March 2008, 10:21 AM
Im a white car convert, used to hate white cars now i love them

SSS_Hoon

+1

I too am starting to like nearly every new car design I see in white :)

Greg K
6th March 2008, 10:29 AM
+1

I too am starting to like nearly every new car design I see in white :)

+2

maloo97
6th March 2008, 10:35 AM
+ 3 New maloo looks awesome!

Apex
6th March 2008, 10:44 AM
+ 3 New maloo looks awesome!

+4

White is the new black, it’s also the new “hero” colour for a lot of companies. Funny how fashion swings in roundabouts.

USC
6th March 2008, 10:57 AM

Shaun

so does the astra sri-t which is under $40K :)

SSS_Hoon
6th March 2008, 12:31 PM
Seriously though, who does not buy a car that they really really like jsut coz there is no CC in there......LoL

We have it and i think i have used it maybe twice in 3 years.

SSS_Hoon

Apex
6th March 2008, 01:03 PM
I must say it would defiantly be something I would look for in a car, I use mine as way to keep at the speed limit all the time. My wish list grows every time I upgrade, next car must have Bluetooth, sat-nav, I-Pod dock and Xenon lights.

In Europe I could have had all this in my Astra..dam Ausi/Kiwi spec cars :(

Wraith
6th March 2008, 01:03 PM
Seriously though, who does not buy a car that they really really like jsut coz there is no CC in there......LoL

We have it and i think i have used it maybe twice in 3 years.

SSS_Hoon

+1

Once again could not agree more, if you really like a car IMO you shouldn't not buy it because it's only missing CC... I rarely if ever use this feature on all my cars which have it, actually I've never engaged it in my Astra, if I did I reckon I might fall asleep at the wheel LOL :)

GreyRex
6th March 2008, 01:24 PM
I am the complete opposite. For me, CC would be one of main reasons for me not buying it... personal preference. I use my cruise control most times i drive, it's too convenient... especially in Victoria. If my damn 20K Barina SRi had it, I would not want my brand new 40K car to not have it... simple. Apart from that though, i like nearly everything else about this car. I have driven a mate's that was flashed with DS (Dreamscience) and it was fantastic.

USC
6th March 2008, 01:50 PM
yep..i use mine only when driving to the country side....used it once or twice in melbourne... its really not cool when you have manual gearbox...cruise control works best with autos i reckon, unless u r driving on a flat road at 100km/h for a couple of hours.

Shaun
6th March 2008, 05:29 PM
so does the astra sri-t which is under $40K :)

Exactly the point im making. Other car that are cheaper have it fitted.

GreyRex
7th March 2008, 11:17 AM
Speaking of white...

Btw, the Nurburgring Edition misses out on the side bump strips

Wraith
7th March 2008, 12:34 PM
Speaking of white...

Btw, the Nurburgring Edition misses out on the side bump strips

Yeh, seen this one Miz.....

There was a thread not long ago on it :)

Looks the beez neez in white, so does the AH Sri t :)

GreyRex
1st April 2008, 02:05 PM
Just found out...

Ford announced this morning that the new LV Focus XR5 will be launched from June 1.

New features are:

New body design (as we have all seen)
New Centre Console
Keyless Start
Bluetooth with Voice control for phone and audio
And a couple of new specifications that you have all been looking for:

Frozen White is now available
Blue inserts on the cloth trim instead of the Mondus Grey for Moondust Silver, Sea Grey, Perf Blue, and Frozen White
Overhead stripes available as per XR4
Sunroof now available
The leather Recaros are now 10-way adjustable on both driver & front passenger
RRP is going to be $36990, and the options, $350 for stripes, $1900 for the sunroof, and $2000 for the leather seats.

SSS_Hoon
1st April 2008, 02:18 PM
Damm.

frozen white

damm

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
1st April 2008, 03:50 PM
Damm.

frozen white

damm

SSS_Hoon