PDA

View Full Version : Petrol/Fuel

Mainframe_Module
28th February 2008, 12:27 PM
Just curious as to which fuel you all use in your ah astras?

i usually use bp ultimate 98 ron, but the service station near me is all out of it and has signs up saying theres shortages of it or something.

so i was thinking of trying vortex 98.

I've tried shell v power98 before but the car didnt seem to run as smooth on it.

Tfer
28th February 2008, 12:29 PM
Just curious as to which fuel you all use in your ah astras?

i usually use bp ultimate 98 ron, but the service station near me is all out of it and has signs up saying theres shortages of it or something.

so i was thinking of trying vortex 98.

I've tried shell v power98 before but the car didnt seem to run as smooth on it.

I put 98RON Caltex or Mobil in R's AH Astra ;)

Mainframe_Module
28th February 2008, 01:36 PM
I found a shell v power racing station near my work, so ima try that on the way home.....see if i can feel any difference with 100ron :D
eh, might as well give it a try.

tuzinski
28th February 2008, 01:39 PM
I found a shell v power racing station near my work, so ima try that on the way home.....see if i can feel any difference with 100ron :D
eh, might as well give it a try.
dont waste your money.
i tried and it my can ran very high at idle around 1500rpm
:(

i use bp ultimate or shell v-power 98
been using bp ult for like 3 weeks now get around 500k's per tank and i fang it!

Wraith
28th February 2008, 03:34 PM
dont waste your money.
i tried and it my can ran very high at idle around 1500rpm
:(

i use bp ultimate or shell v-power 98
been using bp ult for like 3 weeks now get around 500k's per tank and i fang it!

+1

Tried the shell 100 octane in my Astra T, no difference at all to the 98 optimax or Vpower, in fact I got less range from it and I did not change my driving style!!! total waste of money 'unless' you have an engine which specifically needs or is tuned to 100 octane fuel...

I've also found that ultimate gives a little more range than than optimax/vpower, but it's not as responsive as the vpower in my turbo Astra, whereas the ultimate seems to be more responsive in my n/a cars...

SSS_Hoon
28th February 2008, 03:36 PM
the vpower racing will set you back at least 165cpl for no real gain for your car at all, said it before and ill sy it again it will be better if your actually tuned for it.

Oh yeah some ppl think its bad as it got Ethanol in it. Ethanol rocks though.

SSS_Hoon

sooty
28th February 2008, 04:39 PM
10ppm Diesel from BP :D

Wraith
28th February 2008, 04:48 PM

Out of curiosity, do you guys in the diesels get a similar increase in performance/range with the better diesels, as you do with petrol when using higher octanes or is it less or more of a gain ??

USC
28th February 2008, 04:49 PM

have u tried recycled cooking oil?the guys in top gear did on a volvo diesel and it ran fine;)

sooty
28th February 2008, 04:52 PM
Out of curiosity, do you guys in the diesels get a similar increase in performance/range with the better diesels, as you do with petrol when using higher octanes or is it less or more of a gain ??

I've only ever used the 10ppm from BP so i can't really comment but most other servos are using the 50ppm up until they have to change in 2012 (from memory). The added sulfur doesn't help with the smell or smog, but not sure about performance, i'd rather not have to test it :)

And i can't use cooking oil. The z19dth isn't set up to run on biofuel without fairly sizeable changes to the ECU (apparently :)), if you can find someone who's willing to try it. Go for it, hugely interested to see the results.

Wraith
28th February 2008, 05:03 PM
I've only ever used the 10ppm from BP so i can't really comment but most other servos are using the 50ppm up until they have to change in 2012 (from memory). The added sulfur doesn't help with the smell or smog, but not sure about performance, i'd rather not have to test it :)

And i can't use cooking oil. The z19dth isn't set up to run on biofuel without fairly sizeable changes to the ECU (apparently :)), if you can find someone who's willing to try it. Go for it, hugely interested to see the results.

Pity you can't use - 'used' cooking oil, seems like it'll only work with older oilers then ?? it'd be much cheaper :)

You do have to also add a small amount of additive to it :)

sooty
28th February 2008, 05:07 PM
Seems that way...i researched it for mine and mum's car (2.0 Jetta TDi) and neither can use it without ECU modifications.
With the amount of diesel you use, the price isn't that bad on the normal stuff anyway :)

Snotty
28th February 2008, 05:09 PM
has any shell in sydney got any premium unleaded yet? i searched high and low looking for some last week becasue ive got a shell card and i dont particularly wanna pay for my fuel if i dont have to. I know newcastle is still completely dry for shell premiums.

sooty
28th February 2008, 05:13 PM
Fuel Cards, gotta love em :D
luckily mine covers me for any servo

tuzinski
28th February 2008, 05:33 PM
has any shell in sydney got any premium unleaded yet? i searched high and low looking for some last week becasue ive got a shell card and i dont particularly wanna pay for my fuel if i dont have to. I know newcastle is still completely dry for shell premiums.
my local one has been saying 2 weeks like like months now.

im with Wraith, bp ult gives more range but not as responsive.
thats why i want v-power back! :o

Mainframe_Module
28th February 2008, 09:37 PM
Hmmm i just got the v power racing and ive noticed quite a bit of a boost actually, the it feels like it accellerates alot faster, the response is better when you put your foot down, has more power at lower revs, and you know when you slow down in second to turn a corner and the car in front crawls around at a stupidly slow speed so when you straighten up again it takes a second for it to pick up again? (not slow enough to warrant going back to first, but just enough to make second lag for a bit).
well thats almost gone now.......it's effortless and zooms back into its rev range.

i dont mind paying a bit more if it works...ill see how it goes for a few more tanks worth....im actually impressed with the stuff.

maybe its cause i have the new XER engine? maybe it responds better to the 100ron fuel than the engines in yours if you didnt notice much of a difference at all?
thats the only thing i can think of.

Vectracious
28th February 2008, 09:39 PM
Gotta love all the "seat of my pants" comparisons of different fuels..... :rolleyes:

SKM_87
29th February 2008, 08:53 AM
i know here in wa bp ultimate, caltex vortex, mobil 98, peak 98 and united 98 are all the same. and thats dyno proven.

rjastra
29th February 2008, 08:59 AM
Gotta love all the "seat of my pants" comparisons of different fuels..... :rolleyes:

Exactly -lol "It's 100RON so it must be better" or "The advertising says I should get 44km more per tank" ;)

cbrmale
2nd March 2008, 10:34 AM
I ran my AH 2.2 once on Shell v-power 98 and it ran AWFUL! Idle speed fluctuated between 700 to 1,000 rpm, and it ran quite rough by 2.2 standards. I took out the plugs and they were all black and sooty, so after a clean it ran better, and after a run to Melbourne and back it was back to its old self. So even though I can get discount vouchers for Shell, I don't use them as I don't like the fuel.

As far as enthanol goes, it has a higher octane rating but a lower calorific value than petrol. What does this mean? If an engine is tuned to run on ethanol only (like racing cars up to the late 1950s), it can be tuned with a higher compression ratio for more power. But if it is tuned for petrol, then the lower calorific value means less power or (if you drive it harder to compensate) higher fuel consumption. The lower calorific value also causes it to burns hotter, and will burn out exhaust values over time. It has also been known to cause catalytic converters to disintegrate, especially on modern cars. A very expensive repair job, that one. Finally, in some cars, it can vaporise on hot days, stopping the engine.