PDA

View Full Version : interstate drivers licence hassle to go! lets hope so...

MK
23rd February 2008, 08:58 AM
Should have been done years ago!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23260312-421,00.html

Noir
23rd February 2008, 09:08 AM
Oh this would be a grand thing. I have just been researching moving and it is a frustrating process to register a car in another state when your license is not recognised and must be changed first.
Like anything...how long before they sort it out :rolleyes:

platypus
23rd February 2008, 09:22 AM
yeah but the licences are free to transfer - its only the cars rego that is different...

i can't see this as a great idea universally as i think the inspections should stay

but the other fees are insane - they should transfer vehicles for say $30 and keep your current certificate - like with the licences... ie my licence expired on 31st Jan - i got my Q licence in november the previous year - i paid nothing and my new licence was valid until 31st jan

or just keep the car registered at your parents address - people do this all the time rather than do the right thing and transfer

cbrmale
24th February 2008, 12:33 PM
When I moved interstate, changing my licence was easy. All I had to do was get my photo taken, and they swapped my Victorian Licence for an ACT licence with the same expiry date free of charge.

Changing registration was a problem. It's supposed to be done within three months of moving, but you lose your unused interstate registration and third-party. We should get credit for any registration remaining, same as a licence.

reedaaron
24th February 2008, 12:40 PM
when i moved to vic in 2004 i think... i got a credit on the 6 mths rego that i had left on my car...

however on moving back to qld... no such luck.. seems the system is different from state to state... but yeah the licence was free of charge to swap, just with the same expiry date..