PDA

View Full Version : Worlds 1st 'WOODEN' supercar

Wraith
21st February 2008, 09:17 PM
Read about this for the first time today - looks pretty good and has the goods to shame nearly all other supercars in existance !!!

Could this be the future - back to wood....

Check it out :

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-02/21/content_7639562.htm

poita
21st February 2008, 09:23 PM
hippies will love it
you drive around in a car that kills the ozone which kills the trees its made out of!

wonder if it floats...

so many one liners for this lol

MatsHolden
21st February 2008, 10:58 PM
I'd be very interested to see if the crumple zones of such a material would work effectively. It uses timber leaf springs! Something I find very cool is the way they've designed the exhaust system and muffler, they've reversed the flow of the cyclinder heads so the exhaust could run off the top of the engine. Then the exhaust runs out the top and the muffler is actually the rear wing! This is a very very interesting design case study that's for sure!

Wraith
22nd February 2008, 09:12 AM
I'd be very interested to see if the crumple zones of such a material would work effectively. It uses timber leaf springs! Something I find very cool is the way they've designed the exhaust system and muffler, they've reversed the flow of the cyclinder heads so the exhaust could run off the top of the engine. Then the exhaust runs out the top and the muffler is actually the rear wing! This is a very very interesting design case study that's for sure!

Totally agree, regardless of it's looks etc. this is a very clever piece of design and engineering, when I read about it yesterday I was impressed, as well as the above, the whole chassis and body of the car has the integrity to handle the 700hp engine output !!!

I'm sure it's also been designed and made to comply with all the required ADR's etc. and things like crumple zones etc. have been sorted...

btm
22nd February 2008, 09:36 AM
copy of a lambo styling!

Wraith
22nd February 2008, 10:31 AM
copy of a lambo styling!

That's what I thought too, when looking at it's external lines...

Imagine seeing one of these on the roads in a fine high polish varnish finish, take a while to get used to, if it were painted, you'd never know...

btm
22nd February 2008, 10:47 AM
at least scratches would be easier to repair :p

blueraven
22nd February 2008, 12:01 PM
crash test data please....

Wraith
22nd February 2008, 12:13 PM
crash test data please....

This thing is meant to be ready for production - article I read says it'll be on the road in 2 years time....they'll probably release all that info for public consumption some time in the future ??

I'd say they're probably keeping all that kind of info descrete for now, would've cost them a fortune in R&D and maybe they don't want to give anythig away ?? if the whole thing kicks off, other car manufacturers might get interested also...

poita
22nd February 2008, 07:16 PM
instead of a panel beater do you take it to your local hardware store?

sooty
22nd February 2008, 07:20 PM
Bring it to bunnings.
I'll work on it for you...
Could use an Ozito Belt Sander on it :D

poita
22nd February 2008, 07:21 PM
i spose you guys could use the 'kids classes' to patch it with paddle pop sticks!

sooty
22nd February 2008, 07:24 PM
Those kids are probably the most skilled carpenters in the whole joint:p
I could always bring out the chainsaw for some serious smash repairs...

poita
22nd February 2008, 07:26 PM
Those kids are probably the most skilled carpenters in the whole joint:p

i would believe that too, my wife used to work at bunnings

sooty
22nd February 2008, 07:44 PM
So what are you saying about me:confused::p
ahaha...i got no formal training about any of the products i sell. Just lucky i'm a good learner and attentive ay:D

MatsHolden
22nd February 2008, 11:19 PM
ahaha...i got no formal training about any of the products i sell. Just lucky i'm a good learner and attentive ay:D

Like most casual/part time retail jobs.

Wraith
23rd February 2008, 10:01 AM
instead of a panel beater do you take it to your local hardware store?

LOL that's a very interesting question concerning this car....

If it kicks off, it might spark a whole new automotive repair trade - ex carpenters, or maybe kitchen cabinet makers LOL :)

Honestly can't see it taking over, maybe only very small numbers, but who knows ???