PDA

View Full Version : What's involved with painting your brake calipers?

GreyRex
20th February 2008, 04:26 PM
As the topic states, I just wanted to know how hard it is to paint your brake calipers. On the SRi-T they're not painted, and I feel it would look good in the blue the VXR's use. I could've put this in the 'How to' section... but it's more a 'how do you?'...

Be good to know the steps and/or what's involved:)

MatsHolden
20th February 2008, 04:35 PM
Easy.

Take wheel off.
Sand back surface of calliper ready for painting.
Clean the surface with a degreaser.
Mask off areas not to painted and to protect from over spray.
Paint with high temp brake calliper paint in the colour of your choice.

GreyRex
20th February 2008, 04:45 PM
Easy.

Take wheel off.

So you don't need to take the caliper off?? Id be worried bout overspray... thats all

InsaneAsylum
20th February 2008, 04:46 PM
Easy.

Take wheel off.

remove brake pads?

MatsHolden
20th February 2008, 04:53 PM
remove brake pads?

Nah, mask the little bit of pad that shows, you can even paint it if you really wanted to.

MatsHolden
20th February 2008, 04:54 PM
So you don't need to take the caliper off?? Id be worried bout overspray... thats all

Nah, it's not worth taking the calliper off. Aslong as you mask the areas off (lots of news paper) you'll be fine.

Wraith
20th February 2008, 05:06 PM
A very important note to consider here is the actual type of paint you use for the job, typical 'pressure pack' high temp paint from won't last that long, (I've used it in heaps of applications, IMHO it's crap for most of this kind of stuff), your better off removing the caliper and getting them properly prepped and done in either backed enamel or appropriate powder coat, that way they'll last and look good for years :)

Also if the calipers are aluminium, you definitely need to choose the right paint or it'll peel off in no time at all - even Harrops had this problem with their premium brake packages supplied to HSV !!!

You could also look into 'caliper covers' I've seen these before, they are made from folded sheet metal and simply fit over the top of your caliper and come in different colours, for certain applications.....might have to look these up myself again...

Shaun
20th February 2008, 05:14 PM
Good luck finding out the Factory Blue colour of the VXR Calipers . Im chasing it my self for the VXR.

MatsHolden
20th February 2008, 05:16 PM
The high temp paint has lasted me fine. Personally I don't think it's worth the cost of going for baked enamel or powder coating.

rusole21
20th February 2008, 05:20 PM
You could also look into 'caliper covers' I've seen these before, they are made from folded sheet metal and simply fit over the top of your caliper and come in different colours, for certain applications.....might have to look these up myself again...
That is the most FAILED thing you have ever said! If you do this you will not only look like a complete fag but most likely turn into one. My goodness???

Vectracious
20th February 2008, 05:30 PM

Aren't they those fake "Brembo" covers the ricers use on their fake VTEC (Yo!) Civics?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/wonderwes/vtec_yo.jpg

Vectracious
20th February 2008, 05:34 PM
Here they are Ben - get yourself some of these - available on Ebay

http://www.tarad.com/panom-autoservice/img-lib/spd_20070608161530_b.jpg

You won't be allowed to cruise ever again, but hey - small price to pay for teh Brembo's :p

[/off topic]

Ben, do what Mat said.

lampshade
20th February 2008, 05:58 PM
[plug] Why paint calipers ben when you can have the real thing [/end plug]

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=289084#post289084

lampshade, spamming opel aus since 2007 :D

poita
20th February 2008, 11:54 PM
its says nov 2006 under your name :p

Greggy
21st February 2008, 04:10 AM
its says nov 2006 under your name :p

he's got a point you know ;)

I have some caliper paint ready for mine, can never seem to get round to doing it tho......its a brush on thingy - high temp and from what I have seen from other cars with the same looks the mutts nuts !! - dries nice and smooth too and seems to be quite resistant to brake dust (I have gone for a bright blue :D)

GreyRex
21st February 2008, 08:59 AM
Here they are Ben - get yourself some of these - available on Ebay

http://www.tarad.com/panom-autoservice/img-lib/spd_20070608161530_b.jpg

You won't be allowed to cruise ever again, but hey - small price to pay for teh Brembo's :p

[/off topic]

Ben, do what Mat said.

Lol, why would i never be allowed to cruise again?? I like the blue VXR look, but don't want to do it if it's too much effort and won't last...

Wraith
21st February 2008, 09:14 AM
That is the most FAILED thing you have ever said! If you do this you will not only look like a complete fag but most likely turn into one. My goodness???

Thankyou for that very personal opinion :rolleyes:

I was only making a suggestion to help with the the original topic question !

When I said I might look them up again, it was to help anyone else who might be interested in them !!!

If I wanted to use them, I would've done so years ago when I first saw them myself as they are a very cheap and easy mod to do ;)

BTW those pictured are not the ones I discovered years ago, they were unbranded and all smooth, those pictured are very detailed copies of a typical Brembo....

Wraith
21st February 2008, 09:17 AM
[plug] Why paint calipers ben when you can have the real thing [/end plug]

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=289084#post289084

lampshade, spamming opel aus since 2007 :D

Simple answer 'cost' ;)

rusole21
21st February 2008, 02:35 PM
Thankyou for that very personal opinion :rolleyes:

I was only making a suggestion to help with the the original topic question !

When I said I might look them up again, it was to help anyone else who might be interested in them !!!

If I wanted to use them, I would've done so years ago when I first saw them myself as they are a very cheap and easy mod to do ;)

BTW those pictured are not the ones I discovered years ago, they were unbranded and all smooth, those pictured are very detailed copies of a typical Brembo....
I appologise! It was the heat of the moment when i thought you where going to put them on your car. Please dont anybody do this as it is soo crap!

Painting your calipers takes a few hours. Its easy to do so just do it. Dont need anyone to hold your hand.

Wraith
21st February 2008, 09:09 PM
I appologise! It was the heat of the moment when i thought you where going to put them on your car. Please dont anybody do this as it is soo crap!

Painting your calipers takes a few hours. Its easy to do so just do it. Dont need anyone to hold your hand.

It's alright, no harm done :)

Speaking for myself, I'd still go to the bother of removing them, taking off all the readily removable bits, or stripping them down, prepping them up all nice and proper and getting a nice and hopefully life long lasting coat of good auto paint or powder coat :)

daiflu
22nd February 2008, 07:42 AM
I agree with Wraith. And if you can be bothered doing what he's suggested, I'll paint them for you in any colour you like ;)

Wraith
22nd February 2008, 09:58 AM
I agree with Wraith. And if you can be bothered doing what he's suggested, I'll paint them for you in any colour you like ;)

Are you painter/panel beater here in Melb. ???

That would come in handy daiflu :)

daiflu
22nd February 2008, 11:53 AM
Chemist in Automotive coatings ;)

Wraith
22nd February 2008, 12:31 PM

Sounds good :)

You never know, your services may be required :)

sooty
22nd February 2008, 12:46 PM

Just for those who are interested...How much to do all the calipers?

daiflu
22nd February 2008, 05:25 PM
haha, I may need to re-assess things. I have used some of our paint on engine components without any problems. However, I would imagine callipers get much hotter. Does anyone know what kind of temperatures we’re talking about and for how long? I did a quick test before leaving work. 360 deg for 30sec, Total failure!!
I recall using a high temp (usually rated to around 250 deg) spray can years ago and it seemed to work fine.

Keep'emRunning
22nd February 2008, 07:09 PM
I've been replacing my calipers with some lower km ones from AAS (along with the rest of the car hahah)

Wish I had a before pic, they were pretty grubby! The pistons seem to be in great shape though.

Used an air compressor & rotary wire brush to clean 'em up, along with some spray on brake cleaner to remove crud. Then a few light coats of caliper paint. Came up like new.

High temp paint works ok as well, but it's not as resistant to brake fluid as this stuff. Trick with calipers/discs is not to put it on too thick or it'll flake off with the heat.

Used to have red ones... but they only looked good when they were spotlessly clean!

Wraith
23rd February 2008, 10:05 AM
I've been replacing my calipers with some lower km ones from AAS (along with the rest of the car hahah)

Wish I had a before pic, they were pretty grubby! The pistons seem to be in great shape though.

Used an air compressor & rotary wire brush to clean 'em up, along with some spray on brake cleaner to remove crud. Then a few light coats of caliper paint. Came up like new.

High temp paint works ok as well, but it's not as resistant to brake fluid as this stuff. Trick with calipers/discs is not to put it on too thick or it'll flake off with the heat.

Used to have red ones... but they only looked good when they were spotlessly clean!

Awesome work, that's the best way to do these things, taking them off and apart as you've done there..... :)

Good tip with the paint type too ;)

astrauturbo
24th February 2008, 08:38 PM
Before anyone decides to take them off, the brake fluid cable if you unplug it, its a bitch to set it again to work correctly. If anyone decides to do it, Be warned...

I am actually going to try paint the calipers myself but the way of leaving them on the car and covering the rest. (easiest way to do it)

Keep'emRunning
24th February 2008, 10:50 PM
Before anyone decides to take them off, the brake fluid cable if you unplug it, its a bitch to set it again to work correctly. If anyone decides to do it, Be warned...

I am actually going to try paint the calipers myself but the way of leaving them on the car and covering the rest. (easiest way to do it)

Why?

Should only take 20mins off/on, including bleeding.

Remember on the rear calipers the piston needs to be turned if it needs to be pushed in. But if the pressure is released before removal, this won't be necessary.

astrauturbo
24th February 2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah the bleeding process as u named it, Can take longer then that.. I spose it depends on how experienced you are at doing it..

GreyRex
19th March 2008, 02:04 PM
I know it's been a while, but i found this recently...

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html

Still considering doing it

astrauturbo
19th March 2008, 11:27 PM
I know it's been a while, but i found this recently...

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html

Still considering doing it

Nice looks interesting, price>?

moose_factor
20th March 2008, 09:26 AM
I saw this aswell...anyone know where to get it?...

astrauturbo
20th March 2008, 07:48 PM
I saw this aswell...anyone know where to get it?...

Ive asked them, they replied

Hi Marko,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately our products are not available
outside of North America.

Regards,
Jared

That sucks, there must be something similar here in aus??? :confused:

moose_factor
20th March 2008, 11:49 PM
Best thing I've seen is VHT spray stuff...what other options are there...