PDA

View Full Version : HSV GTS-R, is it back?

poita
19th February 2008, 09:09 AM
rumours are its back!!
with a supercharged 6.2L LS9, pumpin out about 460kw.
is this holdens new motor show toy?

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r300/an-D23/07022008074.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r300/an-D23/07022008073.jpg

Vectracious
19th February 2008, 09:18 AM
get that power rangers friggin thing off the top of the bonnet and thats hot....

but what's that I spy up the top??? 426kW RS6???? - I think I'll go buy Motor at lunch!!!!!

poita
19th February 2008, 09:40 AM
yer that transformers thing is photoshopped off the top of a corvette ZC6 (i think)
looks shit, hope they dont put it on

btm
19th February 2008, 09:52 AM
a mates dad had one of the originals, back in the VS (or was it VR?) shape

loved it, was sideways more than it was straight :D

MatsHolden
19th February 2008, 10:37 AM
Bring it.

poita
19th February 2008, 11:19 AM
VS btm

and mats, i 100% agree with you.
bring it on Holden!

so i've been reading Holden have a few tricks up there sleeves for teh motor shows.
so we will see

btm
19th February 2008, 11:49 AM
VS btm
thought so. it was an animal, looked awesome in the yellow colour with the rear raised spoiler

i'd almost chose one of these over any new VE coupe/torana

poita
19th February 2008, 11:52 AM
with a supercharged 6.2L V8
hell i would too!!

MatsHolden
19th February 2008, 12:28 PM
so i've been reading Holden have a few tricks up there sleeves for teh motor shows.
so we will see

Yep, they've got a lot of Concept vehicles in the pipeline this year, was talking to one of the guys from Holden design the other day and he said they've gone nuts. Obviously couldn't elaborate, although he did mention something interesting suggesting no Torana.

Wraith
19th February 2008, 01:22 PM
rumours are its back!!
with a supercharged 6.2L LS9, pumpin out about 460kw.
is this holdens new motor show toy?

Yes it is - yes bring it on !!!!! :D Not sure if there's going to be an example at the motor show, but hopefully there will be :)

I wrote something about this topic on a couple of threads a while back.....

Originally it looked like GMH were planning to use the 7.0ltr LS7 n/a V8 engine, but lately rumours abound on using the newer high tech. integral supercharged LS9 V8 engine as used in the latest ZR series Corvette......there's a thread I posted about early Jan. I think showing this car and the LS9.

The Corvette has posted a blistering 10sec 1/4 mile run on street tyres :eek:

btm
19th February 2008, 01:37 PM
:drool:

xplosv57
19th February 2008, 05:56 PM
As with the HRT 427 and the GTS-R concept a few years ago, i'm not holding my breath!!!

As much as i'd love Holden/HSV to do it, it would cost a heck of alot and would be tough against similar priced competition!!!!

poita
19th February 2008, 07:02 PM
thats wat im a lil worried about
if they bring it out, how much?
its prob gonna be a 100k car!
and well if you where spending that much on a car u'd stretch it to a GTR

xplosv57
19th February 2008, 07:08 PM
It'll be well over 100k if they do use the 6.2l s/c motor, the HRT was supposed to be around the 140k mark but after they actually built one, final cost was more around 215k!!!

If they are to do it, HSV need to get it right!!!

Wraith
20th February 2008, 10:08 AM
It'll be well over 100k if they do use the 6.2l s/c motor, the HRT was supposed to be around the 140k mark but after they actually built one, final cost was more around 215k!!!

If they are to do it, HSV need to get it right!!!

Correct, it'll be priced at no lower than 120k + ORC ' if ' it ever sees the light of day !!!

Still a 'comparatively' reasonable asking price considering how much car and bang for buck you actually get, I reckon if it does make production, there'll only be a limited number and they'll be a sell out ;)

Regarding the previous HRT Munro, the 215k price tag came about by the planned number to be built (200 examples, but then reduced to only 50 or 100) and the cost of the entire project, tooling etc. to be accounted for divided by that planned production number, basically they (GMH) wanted to cover all thier costs, that's what happens with these kind of cars....it wasn't a number just plucked out of the air :)

btm
20th February 2008, 12:24 PM
wonder how it would shape up against the $160K M3?

Wraith
20th February 2008, 12:41 PM
wonder how it would shape up against the $160K M3?

In a straight line it'll kill it !!!!

In fact it'll probably be quicker than the new GT-R over the 1/4 mile ??? the new Z06 has posted a 10sec 1/4 as mentioned, but it is alot lighter than the VE sedan.....so we'll have to wait and see :)

As for handling, I think it's a safe bet on the M3, the previous HRT Munro however would've had awesome handling with all of it's revisions, but I don't think the VE sedan can be made to handle as good ??? again we'll have to wait and see....

One things for sure, if they do make it and if it comes off the showroom floor with that kind of power, it'll be talked about and focused on alot in the car World...

BTW I believe the LS9 can make well over 5 or 600kw, so it's already detuned LOL :D

btm
20th February 2008, 12:44 PM
i guess they'd have to limit it too? like the new VE ute they have limited to 250km/h

Wraith
20th February 2008, 01:03 PM
i guess they'd have to limit it too? like the new VE ute they have limited to 250km/h

Top end speed will be limited, that's a safe bet !!!

My MY'99 LS1 HSV R8 was limited to 250km/h !!! so I don't see them going away from doing that to all newer models :)

I also believe they'll release it with no more or only a little more than 500hp (that was the original plan with the LS7-I think that's the limits of the VE Chassis) but future owners will easily be able to get the max from that LS9 :D

btm
20th February 2008, 01:06 PM
but the old VZ HSV Maloo R8 ute cracked 300km/h... do you know why they were allowed to not limit the VZ?

surely something with 500hp+ would just want to keep going faster! :D

Wraith
20th February 2008, 01:13 PM
but the old VZ HSV Maloo R8 ute cracked 300km/h... do you know why they were allowed to not limit the VZ?

That particular car was 'set up' for the record run, with Skaife at the wheel, so just a one off ;)

Yes 500+hp will propel even a 2 tonne vehicle to well over 250km/h, but I think it's all to do with compliancing and safety.....as mentioned if you really wanted to get around it, you could :)

Spare a thought for JDM R35 GT-R owners, their cars are limited to only 180km/h :eek: how frustrating would that be LOL put your foot down and your hitting the limiter in about 10 seconds and it's proving impossible to crack ATM by tuners in Japan.....

xplosv57
20th February 2008, 06:21 PM

The VZ Maloo R8 did not get 300 km/h, the record was 271km/h, something i might consider testing out when i pick one up tonight lol!!! :D

btm
21st February 2008, 08:42 AM
my bad then. for some reason i thought it got to the magic 300 km/h mark

Wraith
21st February 2008, 10:49 AM
The VZ Maloo R8 did not get 300 km/h, the record was 271km/h, something i might consider testing out when i pick one up tonight lol!!! :D

Let me know via PM where you plan on doing it.........no safe 'unwatched' stretches left in Melb. LOL unlesss you go off road.

Back in '00 it was possible to do on certain stretches of the Sth. Eastern, I did it with my R8, but wouldn't even dare these days...

MatsHolden
21st February 2008, 11:33 AM
Let me know via PM where you plan on doing it.........no safe 'unwatched' stretches left in Melb. LOL unlesss you go off road.

Back in '00 it was possible to do on certain stretches of the Sth. Eastern, I did it with my R8, but wouldn't even dare these days...

Two words.. East Link. hahaha

Wraith
21st February 2008, 12:34 PM
Two words.. East Link. hahaha

LOL good one, Should've thought of that, I pass by both ends of that one every weekend :)

Better hurry up and do your runs before it opens up for service :)

xplosv57
21st February 2008, 01:16 PM

Nah i was joking, no way i'd ever go that quick on a public road, especially as i don't own the car!!!