PDA

View Full Version : do u have stone chips on ur windscreen?

USC
9th February 2008, 06:47 PM
hey guys, just went for a drive to ballarat today and I got my second stonechip on my windscreen....argggg:mad: ...so annoying! its pretty small (like less than 1mm wide) but still...lol...im so pedantic!!

do u guys have stonechips on ur windscreen? do they need repairing??

xplosv57
9th February 2008, 07:19 PM
Yes i have 2 stonechips on my screen thanks to a forum member (LOL), haven't started cracking yet so haven't bothered to repair them as yet, but to get a rwc they will need to be sorted!!

EL BURITO
9th February 2008, 07:22 PM
yes 1 its been there for 3.5 year

tuzinski
9th February 2008, 07:29 PM
nope, or maybe, i dont study my windscreen...

EL BURITO
9th February 2008, 07:32 PM
nope, or maybe, i dont study my windscreen...
ok remind me to never drive in front of you

tim_
9th February 2008, 08:08 PM
haha

i have 2, one's about 1cm long, the other's about a foot and a half haha

EL BURITO
9th February 2008, 08:10 PM
haha

i have 2, one's about 1cm long, the other's about a foot and a half haha
shit now that dose need fixed

tim_
9th February 2008, 08:29 PM
nah it's heading over the passenger side so i don't need to worry about it. i also have 1 year left without having to get a pink slip at rego time so it's staying put for now haha

Apex
9th February 2008, 08:32 PM
Don’t have any on the Astra but the BMW has a few. I have windscreen insurance so im hoping for a big rock soon!

tim_
9th February 2008, 09:14 PM
just throw little rocks at it until you get a cracker

USC
9th February 2008, 10:47 PM
how do u get stone chips on the windscreen?? i dont understand as they are no marks on the paint work or headlights!! my gf`s car has heaps of tiny ones (mind u, its a 1990 model with original windscreen still on!!!!)..but cant notice them as much as its all over the windscreen...really annoying when u only have a couple of tiny ones and u can notice them cos the windscreen is clean and kinda newish.

USC
9th February 2008, 10:48 PM
Don’t have any on the Astra but the BMW has a few. I have windscreen insurance so im hoping for a big rock soon!

would ur insurance use genuine BMW stuff??

Apex
10th February 2008, 10:49 AM
would ur insurance use genuine BMW stuff??

Should do, I had no issue getting a genuine Lexus one for my IS200, ended up waiting for two months to get one ex Japan. It cost $1800 so windscreen insurance is well worth having :cool:

MatsHolden
10th February 2008, 11:10 AM
how do u get stone chips on the windscreen?? i dont understand as they are no marks on the paint work or headlights!! my gf`s car has heaps of tiny ones (mind u, its a 1990 model with original windscreen still on!!!!)..but cant notice them as much as its all over the windscreen...really annoying when u only have a couple of tiny ones and u can notice them cos the windscreen is clean and kinda newish.
Wait until the cars done 75,000km+ and you'll have a nicely sandblasted bonnet, front bar and headlights like my old mans AH Turbo. lol

jerrypufflewell
10th February 2008, 11:57 AM
Got heaps... But then my Astra doesn't exactly live in a city unlike yours :P Nothing that gets in the way mind.

tim_
10th February 2008, 12:24 PM
yeah i got mine from travelling the F3 every day from the central coast to hornsby, does it every time. i never wash my car *gasp* so i don't know if the paintwork has them or not lol

USC
10th February 2008, 02:06 PM
Yes i have 2 stonechips on my screen thanks to a forum member (LOL), haven't started cracking yet so haven't bothered to repair them as yet, but to get a rwc they will need to be sorted!!

how big are they? r they in ur line of sight?whose fault was it?:p

USC
10th February 2008, 02:08 PM
Wait until the cars done 75,000km+ and you'll have a nicely sandblasted bonnet, front bar and headlights like my old mans AH Turbo. lol

that would drive me nuts!!:eek: why didnt he put a headlight and bonnet protecters? i guess they dont look the best with them!

USC
10th February 2008, 02:10 PM
Should do, I had no issue getting a genuine Lexus one for my IS200, ended up waiting for two months to get one ex Japan. It cost $1800 so windscreen insurance is well worth having :cool:

which insurance r u with?bloody aami does not use genuine ones!!argggg...

MatsHolden
11th February 2008, 04:19 PM
that would drive me nuts!!:eek: why didnt he put a headlight and bonnet protecters? i guess they dont look the best with them!

lol what's the point in tacking all that on and covering up the good looks? Plus a bonnet protector will protect the leading edge, what about the rest of the bonnet? lol You can't avoid it. Unless you drive around the city and that's it.

EL BURITO
11th February 2008, 06:50 PM
lol what's the point in tacking all that on and covering up the good looks? Plus a bonnet protector will protect the leading edge, what about the rest of the bonnet? lol You can't avoid it. Unless you drive around the city and that's it.
go the car bra

xplosv57
11th February 2008, 07:09 PM
how big are they? r they in ur line of sight?whose fault was it?:p

They aren't that big, size of a Skittle, maybe bit smaller but one is in my line of view and bith are unroadworthy!!!

Whose fault was it, well techincally it's my own fault but i don't think the other party has picked up on it as yet!!

go the car bra

Go the car bra and see how long the paint lasts, these actually after time scratch the paint quite deep due to the fact that they are fitted so tightly so when the car flexes round corners, the 'bra' rubs against the paint ruining it!!

Seen it on a friends HSV, ended up spraying the front end, instead he could've just touched up stone chips if he didn't have the car bra!!!

MatsHolden
11th February 2008, 07:22 PM
go the car bra

Again... why cover the car up? May as well enjoy it. And as Steve said, they do rub on the paint.

And Steve... I did pick up on it.. just didn't say acknowledge!

EL BURITO
11th February 2008, 07:38 PM
Again... why cover the car up? May as well enjoy it. And as Steve said, they do rub on the paint.

And Steve... I did pick up on it.. just didn't say acknowledge!
I am aware of that but if i was a city driver 90% of the time then decided to drive to Melbourne for a day i would get one just for that .

Of course your going to get friction marks and the best day of your paints life in most situations is the day you pick the car up from the dealer

USC
11th February 2008, 08:20 PM
yeh...car bra wont prevent stone chips on the windscreen...which can sometimes be more costly than paint. and it will rub just like covers on the back of utes do.

SSS_Hoon
11th February 2008, 08:39 PM
i thought every car had stone chips in the windscreen? Mine were put there a week after getting the new screen put in, which reminds i should really ring my insurance company and get my free replacement windscreen....

SSS_Hoon

USC
11th February 2008, 09:07 PM
i thought every car had stone chips in the windscreen? Mine were put there a week after getting the new screen put in, which reminds i should really ring my insurance company and get my free replacement windscreen....

SSS_Hoon

yeh..they do..thats what I have seen anyway...but its less noticable than stone chips on the paint work.

Apex
12th February 2008, 08:19 AM
which insurance r u with?bloody aami does not use genuine ones!!argggg...

State insurance.