PDA

View Full Version : hi

zog666
6th February 2008, 08:30 AM
I have a 1998 CD vectra. A very nice and reliable car I've had for 2 years - except for some quirky electronics with the rear door locks. Just signed up to read up on what are the good places in Melbourne to get a vectra serviced as the engine management light has started coming on sometimes, and it sometimes stalls when idle.

btm
6th February 2008, 08:36 AM
welcome to the site buddy, i'm sure one of the Vic's will be able to answer you q's soon :)

InsaneAsylum
6th February 2008, 08:52 AM
the car stalling is due to a faulty idle air control valve....

PaulyJ
6th February 2008, 09:00 AM
Welcome to OA.
As Adrian said, more than likely it is the idle control valve.
Best thing to do is to get a mechanic (any mech can do this) to plug in the Tech 2 and find what the fault it.

Good luck with it.

Paul

zog666
6th February 2008, 12:48 PM
thanks!
I've been putting up with the stalling when idle problem for a while.. as it comes and goes, when the car has been in for service of course it doesn't happen so doesn't get fixed as the mechanics dont see it. - but it has got more frequent recently and the "check engine" light comes on. I have some more questions related to this but I'll put them in the vectra section....

InsaneAsylum
6th February 2008, 12:51 PM
yeah funny how they don't see it.... would they happen to spray carby cleaner down the throttle body when they service it?

i got mine replaced about 7 years ago as i was sick of taking the car in with the stalling problem. it took 3 visits of them saying "yeah there was a problem but we fixed it now" before i lost my shit and they replaced the IAC valve. thankfully it was done under warranty.

MatsHolden
6th February 2008, 01:43 PM
Welcome mate, make sure you join up on the Vic site and keep an eye out for upcoming events and cruises!

Cheers
Mat (Vic Admin)

Vectracious
6th February 2008, 08:51 PM
the car stalling is due to a faulty idle air control valve....

2000 of Adrian's posts on this site is him saying this exact line... saves me from doing it I suppose :p :D

Get it fixed, because it can be annoying and dangerous - there have been stories of Vectras stalling in intersections,,,,,,,,,,

but welcome to OpelAus zog666 - join the Vic forums http://vic.opelaus.com/forum/ for any cruise info down here in Victoria.

InsaneAsylum
7th February 2008, 08:14 AM
2000 of Adrian's posts on this site is him saying this exact line... saves me from doing it I suppose :p :D

and the other 237 posts are what pete? :p

Tfer
7th February 2008, 08:49 AM
Welcome to Opelaus zog666.... enjoy your time here and good luck with the Veccy ;)

Insane.... your other 237 posts are the really witty one liners usually taking the piss out of Vectracious :p :D

Vectracious
7th February 2008, 11:19 AM
Insane.... your other 237 posts are the really witty one liners usually taking the piss out of Vectracious :p :D

Its coz he secretely loves me :p :D

Wraith
7th February 2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome zog666, hope all's fixed soon with the Vecce.... :)

zog666
7th February 2008, 05:50 PM
thanks.. with the "check engine" light on car wasnt too reliable on the freeway so got a rentabomb until booked Penfold Holden service appointment.. they should be able to sort the IAC valve for me as well. Just gotta remember no ABS on Ye Olde Rentabomb til then

Vectracious
7th February 2008, 07:18 PM
Penfold in Burnley?? The service manager there is great - helped us out with the Astra heaps when things started going wrong - you'll be treated pretty well there :)

zog666
14th February 2008, 02:13 PM
Penfold in Burnley?? The service manager there is great - helped us out with the Astra heaps when things started going wrong - you'll be treated pretty well there :)

Actually its Penfolds Holden in Burwood, same company different location - just got the quote for the work,
$580 for the IAC replacement and $300 for a failed cam sensor plus some misc hoses need replacing for a total of $1100 - ouch!!!

plus i need to rent rent-a-bomb for another day as it wont be ready till tomorrow.

sooty
14th February 2008, 06:12 PM
$1100 for hoses!!!!!:eek:
Charging like a wounded bull doesn't even come close to explaining that lol

zog666
14th February 2008, 07:17 PM
$1100 for hoses!!!!!:eek:
Charging like a wounded bull doesn't even come close to explaining that lol
Actually its about $200 for the hoses (inc. labour i presume), plus $900 for the other parts.