PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea? Regain demerit points by taking road safety classes

btm
5th February 2008, 09:37 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23162173-2,00.html

Swap demerit points for road safety classes

IN an Australian first, drivers will be given the chance to wipe off demerit points in a radical deal expected to be offered by the Victorian Government.

Tens of thousands of drivers penalised for speeding, red light breaches and other offences could soon trade points in return for undertaking driver education.

Face-to-face meetings with trauma victims to bring home the perils of dangerous driving may be among the options.

Only motorists who have lost eight or more points would be eligible, the Herald Sun believes.

They would erase three demerit points.

The Government is studying the proposal as part of a shake-up of road safety measures aimed at cutting the road toll.

A similar scheme operates in Britain, but Victoria would be the first Australian state to adopt it.

More than 90,000 Victorians have accumulated eight or more demerit points for speeding and other offences.

Accruing 12 points leads to loss of licence.

About 30,000 drivers have accrued eight points, a similar number have nine points, 25,000 have 10 points and about 5000 have 11 points.

Under the plan, the motorists will be limited to one course every three years.

Last night, a government spokesman declined to comment on the plan, but it is believed the initiative is close to being completed.

"The Government has a proud record on bringing down the road toll," the spokesman said.

"We are considering a range of measures to take that further."

The 2007 toll was 333, one of the lowest on record. This year's toll is 30, three up on the same time last year.

The Government has previously indicated it may offer financial rewards to people who buy safe cars.

Options that have been looked at include giving rebates or cut-price registration to drivers who buy vehicles with hi-tech features such as electronic stability control and side curtain airbags.

Technology will feature strongly in the next road safety push because the Government believes there is only so far to go with laws on problems such as drink-driving and speeding.

Figures released last year revealed the number of drivers who lost their licence had more than doubled in only five years.

More than 670,000 mobile speed camera fines were issued in the year to last October, TAC figures show.

Based on a $220 fine for exceeding the limit by 10km/h-25km/h, leadfoots contributed about $147 million to government coffers.

Analysis of last year's road toll shows 159 lives were lost on Melbourne roads, up 15 on the previous year.

The number of people killed on rural roads was 174, down 10 per cent on 2006.

Wraith
5th February 2008, 10:18 AM
If introduced, this may be an option for me, as I'm eligable ATM :o

I've got until the end of March this year before my demerit points table is swiped clean....

btm
5th February 2008, 10:24 AM
I've got until the end of March this year before my demerit points table is swiped clean....
its a good feeling isnt it :p

PaulyJ
5th February 2008, 10:34 AM
If introduced, this may be an option for me, as I'm eligable ATM :o

Then you'll be able to drive on a cruise... haha jks
I know how you feel Ange, i've been in the same boat, and have even lost mine.

If this was to be introduced, I can see it being very successful. I think there should be more driver training involved with Learners and Probationary drivers. Even something like a compulsory advanced/defensive driving course to move from Probationary to Full Licence.

Wraith
5th February 2008, 10:39 AM
its a good feeling isnt it :p

It will be when the time comes :)

I'm still in a bit of panic ATM always vigilant to never go over the speed limit or make other mistakes, anywhere anytime....or I'm a goner for 12 months :(

Wraith
5th February 2008, 10:40 AM
Then you'll be able to drive on a cruise... haha jks
I know how you feel Ange, i've been in the same boat, and have even lost mine.

If this was to be introduced, I can see it being very successful. I think there should be more driver training involved with Learners and Probationary drivers. Even something like a compulsory advanced/defensive driving course to move from Probationary to Full Licence.

Yeah, true that Pauly, I'll be able to 'keep up' with the rest of you guys on future meets n cruises :)

That last point you made is a very good idea...

btm
5th February 2008, 10:41 AM
I'm still in a bit of panic ATM always vigilant to never go over the speed limit or make other mistakes, anywhere anytime....or I'm a goner for 12 months :(

exactly what was going through my head constantly every time drove...

noobie
5th February 2008, 12:44 PM
ohhhh, well the Government had to do SOMETHING.

With the revenue raising exercises of speeding fines (particluarly the 3km/h over the limit) ones, tens of thousands of normally safe, law abiding drivers have been losing their licences.

So now these people can get some points back, drive some more and pay EVEN MORE money into the coffers of the Government when they get caught dangerously exceeding the speed limit and risking other road users lives by 5 - 6 km/h on a main thouroughfare. :rolleyes:

bah, im in a cynical mood.

Wraith
5th February 2008, 01:01 PM
ohhhh, well the Government had to do SOMETHING.

With the revenue raising exercises of speeding fines (particluarly the 3km/h over the limit) ones, tens of thousands of normally safe, law abiding drivers have been losing their licences.

So now these people can get some points back, drive some more and pay EVEN MORE money into the coffers of the Government when they get caught dangerously exceeding the speed limit and risking other road users lives by 5 - 6 km/h on a main thouroughfare. :rolleyes:

bah, im in a cynical mood.

Yes, it does seem that way dosn't it......

I'm in the predicament I'm in due to that exact description above, ie: constant fines of only up to 5km/h over the limit :mad: yeh ok, my fault in the end....

I even copped one fine for $180 and 2 points for turning left into a deserted street between the hrs. of 6:30-9:30am which you couldn't do, but hey I didn't see the freaking sign that just happened to be obscured by a tree !!!

Police officer in question and later complaining to appropriate people wanted nothing to do with it..... :mad:

It isn't hard, even if your a good driver to build up 12 points over a 3 year period, especially here in Vic.

I read somewhere we have the same amount of speed traps (both mobile and fixed) as the rest of the Country combined ?? :mad:

Bah, also just venting, feeling a bit cynical myself....

Snotty
6th February 2008, 11:01 AM
do the crime, do the time i say... ive always copped my fines on the chin, if and when i lose my licence, i'll take it.... ive done pretty well so far, 8 years driving without a suspension, and some people here know they way i drive......

Wraith
6th February 2008, 12:42 PM
do the crime, do the time i say... ive always copped my fines on the chin, if and when i lose my licence, i'll take it.... ive done pretty well so far, 8 years driving without a suspension, and some people here know they way i drive......

Can also be a case of 'luck of the draw' - wrong place wrong time, that sort of thing....

I've been driving for nearly 25 years and havn't lost it yet, this is the closest I've come and like yourself, I too enjoy spirited driving more often than not :)

tim_
9th February 2008, 08:28 PM
i've been driving for 7 years and have had 2 fines, both within a week of me getting new cars haha! saying that, one of them comes off my licence again in may, and the next one in october yay and then it's back to no stress on long weekends haha