PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ripped By Mechanics!

Keep'emRunning
31st January 2008, 11:20 AM
just gotta vent from a recent experience I had :mad:

Wanted to replace the noisy alternator/AC belt tensioner on my astra G, fixed it myself a few times previously by replacing the bearing in the roller.

Unfortunately this time the bolt holding the tensioner on was well and truly stuck, so had to take it to a well known mechanic in my area (bargwa***s.. the same guys who have a V8 racing team). Asked 'em to swap it over an almost new tensioner I grabbed from a low km wreck, and also -loosen- a stuck oil filter housing cap which I couldn't undo when changing the oil a week earlier.

Got it back, and the noise was still there, they were saying that.. "all astras and actually most holdens make this noise" and that it was nothing to worry about... 2 hrs labour $240

Not only that, but they gave it a full oil change with some penzoil crap, draining out 1 week old expensive 5w30 synth oil and tossing it.. $35

Added onto that, topping up the water with "PH regulated coolant" $16

Was pretty annoyed when I left, but nothing compared to when I got home....

The new tensioner was still on the front seat!

Called 'em up, the guy said he replaced it, but it didn't make a difference, so he swapped it back to the old one so I could take it back and get my money back. Couldn't argue with him at all.

Clencher is.. now that the bolt was loose, took me all of 20 mins to change the tensioner over to the new one, and it's running dead quiet.

Am in 2 minds to call 'em up and complain, but the guy there's a cranky ol' fart who thinks he knows everything about everything.

Phew, feel a bit better now... thanks for listening :D

oneightoo
31st January 2008, 11:51 AM
bargwanna and sons? at janalli/como??

thats where i get my calibra done, those guys are great..

USC
31st January 2008, 12:03 PM
obviously not great judging from his experience...u must have been lucky!

I say BURN DOWN his sh**ty workshop....:D

maloo97
31st January 2008, 12:04 PM
Oh a new, nsw member ? ? :D

oneightoo
31st January 2008, 12:06 PM
one bad experience doesnt make a workshop "shit".. id say this guy was unlucky, rather than me being lucky..

the guys there know what they are doing.. my gf's family has used them for years, i know a lot of other people that use them, never had a problem..

btm
31st January 2008, 12:10 PM

i too have only had good experiances there...

maloo97
31st January 2008, 12:12 PM
Who, What, When, Where, I need a new Mechanic. Mine retired :(

btm
31st January 2008, 12:14 PM
Who, What, When, Where, I need a new Mechanic. Mine retired :(

back streets of como west dave

oneightoo
31st January 2008, 12:14 PM
bargwanna and sons, on wolger street in como..

maloo97
31st January 2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you Sir's.

Keep'emRunning
31st January 2008, 12:19 PM

Didn't know there were a few.. this happenned at the engadine shop.

Usually take the difficult repairs to a mate who runs Midas at Heathcote, but he was flat out because of the long w/end.

oneightoo
31st January 2008, 12:29 PM
lol, i didnt know there was another one at engadine..

Wraith
31st January 2008, 12:47 PM
Gee, that's a pretty bad experience, I'd be really cheesed off too :mad:

Seems to be a case of a dud mechanic as the other guys who've also been there have pointed out...

Maybe go back and make a complaint to one of the other staff, as this guys charged for bogus work, sounds like he didn't fit/try out the new pulley at all...

Maybe they will offer a discount for future work to you ??

btm
31st January 2008, 01:00 PM
lol, i didnt know there was another one at engadine..

me neither!

blueraven
31st January 2008, 01:02 PM
I feel liek an idiot asking to see my replaced parts, but after the last few weeks of having a pulley and tensoiner go that were supposed to have been replaced 4000km ago, i think i will from now on. the workshop protested saying that is was changed the the tension they removed was a new one, just fitted incorrectly so it shat itself. (doesnt explain why a new pully was screwed though...)...

find a good mechanic...and hold on to them :(.

Wraith
31st January 2008, 01:17 PM
I feel liek an idiot asking to see my replaced parts, but after the last few weeks of having a pulley and tensoiner go that were supposed to have been replaced 4000km ago, i think i will from now on. the workshop protested saying that is was changed the the tension they removed was a new one, just fitted incorrectly so it shat itself. (doesnt explain why a new pully was screwed though...)...

find a good mechanic...and hold on to them :(.

Agree !!!

In the rare event that I've had mechanical work done by someone other than myself, I always ask to be given back 'ALL' changed or old replaced parts - one way of not only checking up on the work, but also as a means of diagnosing the old parts, I like to do that as it can sometimes reveal other hidden problems.... ;)

MK
31st January 2008, 05:28 PM
Same here...before i take my car to a mechanic (any mechanic - even my "trusted" one) i "mark" the parts that are faulty\old and also leave a cardboard box in the boot and demand to have the faulty\old parts to be returned.

this way i saved myself lot of arguments and approximately $200AUD in refunds so far :)

blueraven
1st February 2008, 12:36 PM
well i did just have all my rollers/timing belt/tensioner/coolant/water pump redone for a total cost of $156 because they messed up. :)

$156 cos i paid for the water pump, not the labor.

jlgu
2nd February 2008, 11:44 PM
obviously not great judging from his experience...u must have been lucky!

I say BURN DOWN his sh**ty workshop....:D

lol, let it burn:D