PDA

View Full Version : Broken into

maloo97
29th January 2008, 10:57 AM
Last night between 6- 10 I returning to my van i notice it was unlocked :mad: Drivers window smashed. They took my Monitor i had in there for my reversing camera (mind u it was covered up) and just basicly trashed it, Glass everywhere in the cabin, smashed into a thousand bits. Now police dont do anything these days so i rang the police hotline, They said that they were mostly after my gps as i had left the holder on the window, and it leaves a mark on there after removed, (Lucky i had it with me) Now i was parked under lights in a carpark with cctv cameras and they picked up nothing lol.
Mostly pissed off cause i need a new window, Reason for post, Can anyone in sydney recomend a window repairer? Rang O'Brien but i ant payin $600 for a drivers window.

USC
29th January 2008, 11:19 AM
sorry to hear mate!!
hope all gets fixed soon!

door windows are usually more expensice than front and rear windscreens...not sure why..but I guess because they dont get replaced as often.

btm
29th January 2008, 11:23 AM
ah dave, sorry to hear champ... where were you parked?

Vectra V6
29th January 2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear....My car was broken into when i was parked in a 'secured' carpark. No footage and the police did nothing. They stole a few valuable items including my gps system and they knew from the suction cap marks..... i no longer use the holder when using the gps... i got my window replaced at instant windscreens, paid about $320 with tints.... check here http://www.instantwin.com.au/

btm
29th January 2008, 01:50 PM
OT here... but i thought a GPS unit would become worthless once stolen?

as long as you know your serial number of your unit, then it can be tracked (assuming it gets turned on again)

so what are these low life scum doing with stolen units?

maloo97
29th January 2008, 02:42 PM
ah dave, sorry to hear champ... where were you parked?

Revesby workers, Thats what u get for stoppin in for a drink lol.

All fixed, $245 later.

Alix
29th January 2008, 05:20 PM
OT here... but i thought a GPS unit would become worthless once stolen?

as long as you know your serial number of your unit, then it can be tracked (assuming it gets turned on again)

so what are these low life scum doing with stolen units?

Nah, you're thinking of mobile phones. GPS units are recievers only - they don't broadcast a signal.

Each GPS satellite sends out a constant signal, containing its ID and a timestamp. The satellites are in geostationary orbit, meaning they always stay above the same place on the earth's surface. GPSes listen for the signal from several satellites, and calculate their position using geometry. The GPS unit doesn't have to contact the satellites directly, it just listens.

Wraith
29th January 2008, 09:47 PM
Sorry too to hear about this Maloo, hope all goes alright with everything....

As for glass in thousands of little square pieces, it's just doing what it's designed to do in case of breakage (toughened glass) - I had the same annoying clean up to do in my previous Corolla once from the back door window accidentally breaking...

btm
30th January 2008, 12:02 PM
I had the same annoying clean up to do in my previous Corolla once from the back door window accidentally breaking...

punched it in a fit of rage cause you owned a toyota? :p

Wraith
31st January 2008, 09:26 AM
punched it in a fit of rage cause you owned a toyota? :p

Actually my missus accidentally locked the keys in the car and it was the only way in, after a lengthy and unsuccessful period of trying to pry the lock and lift the interior button with wires and other gadgets :(

End up picking on the smallest window, the little one on the back door - cost only $20 for a replacement from the wreckers :) - but yeh, what a mess of glass bits to have to clean up....even from such a small window.