PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission Fluid Color

dodgyblue
25th January 2008, 11:19 AM
Hi there

I was wondering can anyone tell me what color is the auto trans fluid supposed to be on the ASTRA TS ? I had a look at mine (after 8 years) it's a greyish color .. is it supposed to be that color?

Thanks in advance.

NXA-16H
25th January 2008, 11:26 AM
Hi there

I was wondering can anyone tell me what color is the auto trans fluid supposed to be on the ASTRA TS ? I had a look at mine (after 8 years) it's a greyish color .. is it supposed to be that color?

Thanks in advance.

Oh dear. Oh deary deary me. Clearly you weren't around to have read the following thread of the perils of burnt Automatic Transmission Fluid:

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14897

Flush it out son, for Christ's sake. Before your Transmission shits on you BIG TIME.

NXK-43Y

Wraith
25th January 2008, 12:25 PM
Oh dear. Oh deary deary me. Clearly you weren't around to have read the following thread of the perils of burnt Automatic Transmission Fluid:

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14897

Flush it out son, for Christ's sake. Before your Transmission shits on you BIG TIME.

NXK-43Y

Correct.....!

Even if its colour appears normal, but has a bad smell to it, then change it over...

Same goes for the power steering fluid...

dodgyblue
25th January 2008, 02:10 PM
Trouble is it doesn't smell burnt. It just smells like normal engine oil and probably about the same consistency but a grey transparent color, unlike the dirty dark brown of old engine oil. I did get the oil change about 4 years ago by K-mart Auto so I wasn't sure what color its supposed to be. According to the thread NXA-16H posted, its supposed to be red if using original Holden but what about other brands? Any suggestions much appreciated. Oh, anyone used Fluidrive before for auto trans service?

blueraven
25th January 2008, 02:43 PM
my gearbox oil is vibrant blue..looks like liquid candy hahaha.

so yes it comes in different colours...but i doubt grey is one of them!

dodgyblue
25th January 2008, 03:09 PM
I better take it to the Fluidrive boys and ask then..

Thanks for the assist..

May our Astras keep purrin'.

Wraith
25th January 2008, 03:23 PM
Trouble is it doesn't smell burnt. It just smells like normal engine oil and probably about the same consistency but a grey transparent color, unlike the dirty dark brown of old engine oil. I did get the oil change about 4 years ago by K-mart Auto so I wasn't sure what color its supposed to be. According to the thread NXA-16H posted, its supposed to be red if using original Holden but what about other brands? Any suggestions much appreciated. Oh, anyone used Fluidrive before for auto trans service?

Dosn't matter, it shouldn't be that colour, I'd say change it, it's an inexpensive thing to do just for peace mind......auto and power steering fluid/oil is reddish in colour (AFAIK all brands are all the same colour !) and has a different smell and consistency to engine oil...

Wraith
25th January 2008, 03:27 PM
my gearbox oil is vibrant blue..looks like liquid candy hahaha.

so yes it comes in different colours...but i doubt grey is one of them!

BR we're talking auto gearboxes here, not manuals....manual trans oils are a totally different liquid and they do come in different colours, AFAIK power steering and auto trans fluids (they use the same thing) are all reddish in colour.