PDA

View Full Version : New Astra review by Drive

ArdenBlue
29th June 2004, 04:42 PM
Just saw this on Drive (http://www.drive.com.au) for those waiting on the new Astra. Sounds very promising.

By The Drive Team
The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age
Tuesday June 29 2004

Opel Astra 2.0 Turbo

RRP/as tested: 20,900 euros or $36,893.

Why we're driving it: In Germany for Porsche and BMW launches, I arrived early to sample the new Astra before it goes on sale in Australia later this year.

Likes: Styling inside and out. Roomy interior. Quality of the switches. The whiz-bang indicators (first seen on the new Vectra) are now less fiddly. Superb engine. Precise, six-speed gearshift. Good road holding.

Dislikes:
To dim the satellite navigation screen you must dim the rest of the instruments, which makes them unreadable. A hint of wind noise from the driver's door above 200kmh. Yes, on an autobahn.

Would I buy one? At this price, yes. It would be a VW Golf GTi killer. But Holden has no plans to import this model at this stage.

-- Joshua Dowling

RK
29th June 2004, 04:45 PM
except for the "But Holden has no plans to import this model at this stage" :(

corsaboy
29th June 2004, 05:29 PM
except for the "But Holden has no plans to import this model at this stage" :(Ha Ha jipped yet again!

Degen-Astra
29th June 2004, 05:40 PM
I reckon its because of current poor sales of the current model turbo. Remember it started out at $47k RRP plus on roads and is now about $37k RRP plus on roads.

So...can only wait and see...maybe a limited release will be available.

em
29th June 2004, 07:08 PM
Do you think you could order it in specially???

RK
29th June 2004, 07:16 PM
probabaly have to pay a 150% of the cost.

em
30th June 2004, 08:22 AM
probabaly have to pay a 150% of the cost.

ahhh that sucks

rjastra
30th June 2004, 11:31 AM
I reckon its because of current poor sales of the current model turbo. Remember it started out at $47k RRP plus on roads and is now about $37k RRP plus on roads.

Sorry , you are wrong... the price was never $47K +ORC. It was always $37K + ORC

ArdenBlue
30th June 2004, 11:58 AM
rjastra is correct, $47K + ORC is the convertible price (auto) 49990 + ORC for the turbo convertible (manual).

I would think the reason for the slow-ish sales is more Holdens timing. The Astra was around for a while, then the Turbo is released towards the end of the models life. Hopefully Holden will bring the turbo from the start this time.

Jass
1st July 2004, 12:17 PM
I hope they dont it will make the current astra T are more sought after model. Plus it will hold its value more.

ArdenBlue
1st July 2004, 01:40 PM
But then what upgrade path will a current SriT owner take. For those of us that like to (or can afford to) change cars regularly, we are left to look elsewhere. With no other turbos in Holdens line up, it probably won't be a Holden that we look at.

Jass
1st July 2004, 02:10 PM
The little astra is a cool little car to drive, but its by no means a performance machine. I wont be looking at getting another holden, might look at either a BMW or Evo if there still around.

rjastra
1st July 2004, 05:02 PM
I hope they dont it will make the current astra T are more sought after model. Plus it will hold its value more.

The market doesn't really work that way... People were gettuing serious discounts on SRiT. So resale of them will probably be worse than a standard Astra.