PDA

View Full Version : 4 to 5 stud astra G conversion?

Keep'emRunning
23rd January 2008, 02:52 PM
Anyone done it?

I can imagine that rear hubs and front struts will need to be swapped over (not a big job) but is there any difference in brake lines,tie rods, drive shafts etc? The brake calipers should be usable without ABS?

Doing this will give bigger rotors, plus a bigger selection of 18" wheels to choose from.

cheers

dave

Wraith
23rd January 2008, 03:13 PM
Anyone done it?

I can imagine that rear hubs and front struts will need to be swapped over (not a big job) but is there any difference in brake lines,tie rods, drive shafts etc? The brake calipers should be usable without ABS?

Doing this will give bigger rotors, plus a bigger selection of 18" wheels to choose from.

cheers

dave

So are you wanting to do this because of 1. bigger rotors and 2. more wheel choices... ??

1. you will get bigger rotors if you use the turbo model Astra rotors, not sure about the size difference between 4 and 5 stud on the rest of the range ??

2. I think you'll actually have a bigger wheel choice if you stick to the 4 stud pattern, as has been discussed numerous times before the 5 stud 5 x 110 PCD is rare in the mag wheel World.

Most times you'll have to get a set re-drilled to suit...

EAK33Y
23rd January 2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah what he said i struggled to find my mags there 5 stud but 4 stud are easy

blueraven
23rd January 2008, 05:47 PM
plus a bigger selection of 18" wheels to choose from.

That made me chuckle.

Keep'emRunning
23rd January 2008, 09:26 PM
really?

I've been calling around for new release 18" wheels and am being constantly told that 4 stud will need to be ordered or aren't avail, and that 5 stud is the norm for this size. I know this wasn't the case a few years ago but most mid sized cars (focus,323,corolla,AH) are using 5 stud as standard now, and mfrs are following suit apparently. Try calling some dealers and see what response you get, let me know what you find with 4stud 18's.

The only one I found as standard 4bolt was the fierro, but not too sure on the styling.

All TS models with ABS (ie CD) have larger rotors than the base model city does. SRi's would be nice to do the swap from, but wreckers know they're onto a good thing when they snag one and charge premium prices :(

I'll be glad if anyone finds the wheels below to suit my old gal ;)

EL BURITO
23rd January 2008, 11:37 PM
plus a bigger selection of 18" wheels to choose from.

unless you have a commodore or a falcon and even then in most cases your wheels have to be brought in from a warehouse. When I was looking for a 4x100 there were heaps of 18's and 17's and non were stocked on site. took 48hrs to get the ones i wanted in

R3N
24th January 2008, 01:48 AM
really?

I've been calling around for new release 18" wheels and am being constantly told that 4 stud will need to be ordered or aren't avail, and that 5 stud is the norm for this size. I know this wasn't the case a few years ago but most mid sized cars (focus,323,corolla,AH) are using 5 stud as standard now, and mfrs are following suit apparently. Try calling some dealers and see what response you get, let me know what you find with 4stud 18's.

Well... you may be right in saying that most larger wheels are for 5-studs... but not for the pattern you're after which is 5x110. The more common 5-stud patterns are 5x100 (most jap cars), 5x114.3 (Nissan), 5x112 (M-Benz and Audi) and 5x120 (BMW and commodores).

The fact is that 4x100 are more common than 5x110 and I know you will be able to source a set of 18s or any size for that matter in a 4x100 pattern easier with more choices.

Snotty
24th January 2008, 06:29 AM
yeh sounds like your assuming when they say "5 stud" you're thinking they are all the same, ask them to be more specific with stud patterns when they say only "5 stud is available"

4x100 is the most common for small cars, i bet you'll have more difficulty 5x110

Keep'emRunning
24th January 2008, 09:17 AM
cool, thanks guys, armed with that info I'll give it another try today. I'll post some pics of the old chugger with new shoes on soon hopefully.

Opinions on the Zender bodykit? C

Has anyone imported bumpers from the UK, they have some pretty cool kits... Don't want anything obscene or ground scraping as it's a daily driver.

Wraith
24th January 2008, 09:20 AM
OK mags understood and under control - Astra G Zender kit looks good, if you can afford one - go for it :)

RobCDX
24th January 2008, 01:26 PM
yeah damn TS with 5x110... i had my set drilled to fit. i found my rims on the tempe tire site, they had an agent in adelaide that could get them in, drill them and install the rubber with a balance.

Wraith
24th January 2008, 01:32 PM
yeah damn TS with 5x110... i had my set drilled to fit. i found my rims on the tempe tire site, they had an agent in adelaide that could get them in, drill them and install the rubber with a balance.

Yep, true that :)

I'd say most of us with BIG wheels on our Astras have had them re-drilled to suit.....no biggie, if done properly, there's no issues to worry about and most wheel outlets will do this for free :)

The only other way is to get the mags custom made or drilled from new blanks - I've done both, you end up with a 'cleaner' result, but it costs alot more....

oneightoo
24th January 2008, 01:32 PM
the zender bodykit is pretty dam expensive..

have a word with CAL.16V before you go buying any kits tho.. he does group buys and occasionaly has kits lying around..

Keep'emRunning
24th January 2008, 07:47 PM
Bit of a freshen up!

Seems I was talkin' to the wrong peeps! Same company, different salesguy. Had the Lexani Marquis 18" hangin' on the wall and asked if they would fit.. Reply.. "mate, we can drill 'em while-u-wait' End of story as far as I was concerned... :D

Thanks for the info, you guys rule!

Next up either zender or angeleyes.. but better wait a while until the missus lets me back inside!

cheers

dave

sooty
24th January 2008, 07:54 PM
Very nice :D
So did you get them re-drilled? or were they blanks?
If re-drilled, welcome to the not so exclusive club

Keep'emRunning
24th January 2008, 08:04 PM
thanks Diesel! I was kinda lucky they had blanks and they drilled em to fit. I reckon 225's might've squeezed under the rear guards if the lip was rolled...:rolleyes:

maloo97
24th January 2008, 08:24 PM
Nice G u got there mate, where abouts you located in sydney,
Have a look in the nsw section for cruise info etc.

Btw as for bodykits try ssv.com.au or Talonbodystyling.com.au. Should be able to find something good.

andrewd
24th January 2008, 08:30 PM
pfft 5 stud astras lol re drilling :(

i walked right in to the tyre place i go to, got off the shelf 20's tyres were already on... bolted them up and drove away :D

4 stud ftw!!

who cares about brakes.... take the corner faster ;)

Wraith
24th January 2008, 09:12 PM
Bit of a freshen up!

Seems I was talkin' to the wrong peeps! Same company, different salesguy. Had the Lexani Marquis 18" hangin' on the wall and asked if they would fit.. Reply.. "mate, we can drill 'em while-u-wait' End of story as far as I was concerned... :D

Thanks for the info, you guys rule!

Next up either zender or angeleyes.. but better wait a while until the missus lets me back inside!

cheers

dave

They look sweet - well done... :)

Definitely keep up the mods - both a body kit and angel eyes will look great ;)

Wraith
24th January 2008, 09:14 PM
pfft 5 stud astras lol re drilling :(

i walked right in to the tyre place i go to, got off the shelf 20's tyres were already on... bolted them up and drove away :D

4 stud ftw!!

Congratulations....and welcome to the 20" on an Astra club

Any pics :)

sooty
24th January 2008, 09:20 PM
look in members rides...he's got pics in there :D

Wraith
24th January 2008, 09:22 PM
look in members rides...he's got pics in there :D

Thanks for the heads up D110 - will do :)

sooty
24th January 2008, 09:26 PM
my pleasure :D
I love his bitsamissing

Wraith
24th January 2008, 09:44 PM
my pleasure :D
I love his bitsamissing

It's actually in the new member introductions section, I just checked it out and commented - very nice Astra and great to FINALLY see another G/TS with 20's :clap:

R3N
24th January 2008, 11:11 PM

yea who needs brakes... im sure some kind tree would help you stop :p

RobCDX
25th January 2008, 11:10 AM
nice work on the rims... wat are the profiles of the tires? im on 17's with 215/45/17 and scraping on the rear.

Wraith
25th January 2008, 12:33 PM
nice work on the rims... wat are the profiles of the tires? im on 17's with 215/45/17 and scraping on the rear.

You definitely have 17's with an inappropriate ET or offset number for the above to be happening !

Your tyre size for the 17's is perfect, although a 40 series would help, your ET must be around 35 or less, hence the problem...

For older Opels, ie: TS Astras and Calibras, try to stick to a rim offset of no less than 42...above 45 is even better, this will work for wheel sizes up to 20".

As for the profile for 20" tyres on an Astra, it's 30 series, (225/30) you can get 35 series, but the o/a dia. becomes way too big and it also increases the chances of scrubbing...

Snotty
25th January 2008, 03:11 PM
although a 40 series would help

they can be hard to find/expensive with the right load rating, theres not many around with the higher rating for the astra

Wraith
25th January 2008, 03:18 PM
they can be hard to find/expensive with the right load rating, theres not many around with the higher rating for the astra

Yes true, load rating required is 87, (for the TS, harder for the AH which requires 92) I've got a set of 17's with 215/40 R17 87Y Ventus tyres, these are common and not expensive :)

However for the AH Astras, you can get away with both a wider rim and lower offset number than what's required for the TS models :)

Snotty
25th January 2008, 03:24 PM
well its been a while since i looked for 17's, about 4 years ago the only choice was the standard dunlops that came on the G turbos and that was approx $300 a corner, glad ther's more choices now

Wraith
25th January 2008, 03:53 PM
well its been a while since i looked for 17's, about 4 years ago the only choice was the standard dunlops that came on the G turbos and that was approx $300 a corner, glad ther's more choices now

Yeh, those Ventus ones I've mentioned were about $190 each, but I got them in 2002...they may cost more now, I'm not sure ???

blueraven
25th January 2008, 04:06 PM
hankook ventus rs2's are very good, last time i checked they were still about $200 each...

Wraith
25th January 2008, 04:26 PM
hankook ventus rs2's are very good, last time i checked they were still about $200 each...

Yep, that's the ones :)

They are very good, excellent grip and I've done at least 45,000km with them and they've still got lots of good tread left...

R3N
25th January 2008, 04:33 PM

if its hard to find the proper load rating in 40s and you must have 45s at least get 205/45s