PDA

View Full Version : Sold the Astra... Now what to get?

struz
22nd January 2008, 11:07 AM
Hey guys,

Well i've pretty much sold the Astra just waiting on finance from the other party. So i thought i might aswell start looking for something to get me around.

Coming from the SRi i really want 4 doors. It's getting to hard with family now and trying to squeeze them in everywhere.

I had a quick check on the net for cars and the wrx is still catching my eyes. I've never owned one and the turbo is appealing.

Otherwise im looking at Mazda 6 brand new, maybe second hand Holden Sv6.

Thing is i need to make my mind up on one of these before the car is gone. I wanna hear your experiences with any of the cars above and if you have something to recommend then please do.

I've test drove the Mazda 6 and i enjoyed it. I can't get a SP23 as the misses already has a new 3.

Never driven the Sv6 and last time i asked about this car not many people had good things to say about it either.

Never driven a WRX i had been in one for a short time but it wasn't enough to get a gist of the car.

Please give me some ideas lol and my budget is around 25k MAX or maybe just a touch more.

Tfer
22nd January 2008, 11:18 AM
Hey guys,

Well i've pretty much sold the Astra just waiting on finance from the other party. So i thought i might aswell start looking for something to get me around.

Coming from the SRi i really want 4 doors. It's getting to hard with family now and trying to squeeze them in everywhere.

I had a quick check on the net for cars and the wrx is still catching my eyes. I've never owned one and the turbo is appealing.

Otherwise im looking at Mazda 6 brand new, maybe second hand Holden Sv6.

Thing is i need to make my mind up on one of these before the car is gone. I wanna hear your experiences with any of the cars above and if you have something to recommend then please do.

I've test drove the Mazda 6 and i enjoyed it. I can't get a SP23 as the misses already has a new 3.

Never driven the Sv6 and last time i asked about this car not many people had good things to say about it either.

Never driven a WRX i had been in one for a short time but it wasn't enough to get a gist of the car.

Please give me some ideas lol and my budget is around 25k MAX or maybe just a touch more.

Slightly different to what you are thinking of, but what about this....

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15113

Go the Veccy! :D

Wraith
22nd January 2008, 11:37 AM
Wrx is a good choice - try and get as new as possible for 25k though...

Have you considered a Sube Liberty at all ?? they are a great 4 door sedan ;)

blueraven
22nd January 2008, 11:38 AM
evoooooooooooo....

Huhness
22nd January 2008, 11:38 AM
What about the new Lancer?

The VRX looks nice!

Vectracious
22nd January 2008, 11:43 AM
As good as the WRX is - don't bother getting one if you've got kids - the older ones (07 and older) are smaller than the Astra inside and if they're littluns with prams and stuff - the boot is not exactly big.

If you want a Subaru for the family - go a Liberty or Forester (the turbo versions of these are not under 25K (for a newish model) though unfortunately) - much more family friendly than an Impreza.

Mazda 6 is also very good, and with the new one round the corner - Mazda is trying to get rid of the old model with fairly decent pricing - mate just got a good deal on a Sports sedan on the weekend. Don't think youll be able to get one for 25K on the road brand spankers though.

The Commodore is a good car - but - after driving the VE I don't think I could buy any older model - its such an improvement on the VZ - and again, out of your 25K budget. Saying that, the VZ isn't a dog either - but Commo's are big cars and thirsty too.

oneightoo
22nd January 2008, 11:58 AM
i'm going for an SP23 as soon as the calibra gets sold..

ive looked at countless WRX's, RS's, 3's, SP23's, liberty's etc..

the SP23 is best for under 25k..

the turbo on the wrx is nice, but if you're limiting yourself to 25k max on a new car, you wont like paying $2k every year to insure it..

my pic - SP23 and tell your missus to sell her 3 and get 2 :p

Wraith
22nd January 2008, 12:41 PM
evoooooooooooo....

Nice choice, but prob is, you won't get anything decent or newish with 25k :(

Wraith
22nd January 2008, 12:42 PM
i'm going for an SP23 as soon as the calibra gets sold..

ive looked at countless WRX's, RS's, 3's, SP23's, liberty's etc..

the SP23 is best for under 25k..

the turbo on the wrx is nice, but if you're limiting yourself to 25k max on a new car, you wont like paying $2k every year to insure it..

my pic - SP23 and tell your missus to sell her 3 and get 2 :p

No more B4 ?? :(

oneightoo
22nd January 2008, 01:03 PM
nah insurance is a killer

struz
22nd January 2008, 02:54 PM
I've looked into getting Veccy CDXi but we already have two in our family and i just want something different.

Mazda 6 is still on the cards and i can actually get a brand new one in automatic for 26k drive away. Our family has brought previous cars from the same bloke so he always looks after us now.

I'm really thinking WRX im lookin at either 01 or even 03 models. I just checked insurance just then and for a 03 model WRX with
-tint
-exhaust
-filter

Im looking at 1210 a year. 350 ex. :/ I could live with that.

oneightoo
22nd January 2008, 03:25 PM
1210 a year with a 350 excess??

i gotta move to adelaide..

USC
22nd January 2008, 03:30 PM
mazda 6 would look much nicer than a 01 WRX!

blueraven
22nd January 2008, 03:38 PM
1210 a year with a 350 excess??

i gotta move to adelaide..

prolly your age man...

fully insured on mine for 26k, ALL mods covered(yes, right down the swaybar and gauges exhaust...everything.), not in a garage or anything, $920 pa. $200 excess. (excess protected as well :) )

Quote on an evo 9 at 45k value are around $1400....

i love that magical age 26 barrier, so happy i past it :).

Vectracious
22nd January 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm really thinking WRX im lookin at either 01 or even 03 models. I just checked insurance just then and for a 03 model WRX with
-tint
-exhaust
-filter

Go the 03 - quicker than the 01's.

Wraith
22nd January 2008, 04:38 PM

LOL the 'magical age barrier' keeps getting better - wait till your over 30, then over 35, then over 40 - you'll be paying much less again compared to now ;)

Some insurers won't even give you insurance on certain types of cars if your under 30 ! either that or you get a premium that's up to 1/10th the cost of the car...

USC
22nd January 2008, 05:03 PM
insurance companies must make so much money!!

oneightoo
22nd January 2008, 05:18 PM
prolly your age man...

fully insured on mine for 26k, ALL mods covered(yes, right down the swaybar and gauges exhaust...everything.), not in a garage or anything, $920 pa. $200 excess. (excess protected as well :) )

Quote on an evo 9 at 45k value are around $1400....

im 27 tho :(

oneightoo
22nd January 2008, 05:18 PM
insurance companies must make so much money!!

yes, we do..

Wraith
22nd January 2008, 05:24 PM
yes, we do..

hahaha LOL you beat me to it, I was going to say - yes they do :)

JohnBu
23rd January 2008, 11:13 AM
......until NSW gets hail storms again

Wraith
23rd January 2008, 11:38 AM
......until NSW gets hail storms again

Yeah, that'll teach em, should drain all the funds up all at once :D

Shaun
24th January 2008, 06:50 PM
XR5 Turbo Focus but its alittle out of the price range

OPC
24th January 2008, 11:05 PM
What about the new Lancer?

The VRX looks nice!

this guy knows... Mitsubishi come with 10yrs warranty duuuuuude

get a cheapo lancer... 10 YEARS WARRANTYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Wraith
25th January 2008, 09:55 AM
Actually you guys above are right....

I think the best choice so far mentioned is in fact a new Lancer - good size 4 door family car, good looking, drives well, should be reliable, can buy a newie for the 25k budget and get that fab. 10 year warranty :)

rjastra
25th January 2008, 10:36 AM
this guy knows... Mitsubishi come with 10yrs warranty duuuuuude

get a cheapo lancer... 10 YEARS WARRANTYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Very useful for the first owner who will invariably get rid of it in 3-5yrs ;)

jlgu
28th January 2008, 12:08 AM
why not get a focus

OPC
28th January 2008, 12:42 AM
why not get a focus

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/focus.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/crash.jpg

jlgu
28th January 2008, 01:26 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/focus.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/crash.jpg
well, i think it really depends on how ppl drive their car. I've seen Hummers, bmws, mercs & etc end up like this too. not much points raised by those pic. If this is an issue, A Tank might be the only choice....:p Since here is opel's hood, lastest astra is another choice too,:D

nadg63
28th January 2008, 01:22 PM
I've looked into getting Veccy CDXi but we already have two in our family and i just want something different.

Mazda 6 is still on the cards and i can actually get a brand new one in automatic for 26k drive away. Our family has brought previous cars from the same bloke so he always looks after us now.

-tint
-exhaust
-filter

Struz,

If you fancy a WRX do not even remotely consider a Mazda 6 - overweight and under-powered, the only thing they have going for them is they look kinda nice! (we used to have 2 as company cars and they were just so ordinary)

Where are you in Adelaide? Reason I ask is along with my SRiT I also have a WRX, a modded '99 which I am sure I could let you have a quick try out of!? How old are you?

CORZZA
28th January 2008, 01:28 PM
Go test drive a 2005 Corolla Sportivo

See what you think of it

USC
28th January 2008, 05:28 PM
Focus: it feels super cheap inside...very bad plastics.
Corolla sportivo: despite the famous vvti-L, this car is rubbish..engine is still underpowered, the sri-t will take it anyday. one thing that really annoys me with that car is why the hell do you have a body kit and then chuck painted mud guards on an ordinary bumper at the back?? toyota pls explain!!
wrx: ok, not much room but good fun. No luxury though...kinda ordinary inside.
mazda6: ok if u get the sports hatch luxury... nice car...wont be too powerful but good fuel economy.

Have u considered a honda civic sport or honda accord euro (2nd hand)??

CORZZA
28th January 2008, 05:41 PM
Focus: it feels super cheap inside...very bad plastics.
Corolla sportivo: despite the famous vvti-L, this car is rubbish..engine is still underpowered, the sri-t will take it anyday. one thing that really annoys me with that car is why the hell do you have a body kit and then chuck painted mud guards on an ordinary bumper at the back?? toyota pls explain!!
wrx: ok, not much room but good fun. No luxury though...kinda ordinary inside.
mazda6: ok if u get the sports hatch luxury... nice car...wont be too powerful but good fuel economy.

Have u considered a honda civic sport or honda accord euro (2nd hand)??

You will be hard pressed to find an accord for less than 25k thats in good condition

Ishley
28th January 2008, 06:40 PM
Or even finding a used Civic Sport under 25k would be a hard job

CORZZA
28th January 2008, 09:06 PM
yeah man! Honda is expensive!

struz
29th January 2008, 04:37 PM
Im still deciding...

This week i will need to find something.

Nadge - Im in the Northern Area and im 22. Any plans on selling the rex? Older model was the best looking.

Not gonna do Honda i think there spare parts are over priced. My mum had a Jazz and it was a joke.

Keep the opinions coming. :)

USC
29th January 2008, 05:08 PM
why dont u get a 2000 celica ZR?

Ishley
29th January 2008, 06:13 PM
why dont u get a 2000 celica ZR?
But you bagged the Corolla Sportivo....... They are basically the same car, apart from the body. And i think he wanted to buy a small to medium size car.

Having owned a Sportivo, i found it quite a great car to own. Only had one problem with it in the time i owned it. And that was a gearbox problem was fixed under the warranty.

I say test drive one. If you dont like it, then cross it off the list.

CORZZA
29th January 2008, 06:51 PM
But you bagged the Corolla Sportivo....... They are basically the same car, apart from the body. And i think he wanted to buy a small to medium size car.

Having owned a Sportivo, i found it quite a great car to own. Only had one problem with it in the time i owned it. And that was a gearbox problem was fixed under the warranty.

Thats exactly right!

I also say that he should look into the SRI turbo he can get a 06/07 model for around 27k

nadg63
30th January 2008, 02:38 AM
Im still deciding...

This week i will need to find something.

Nadge - Im in the Northern Area and im 22. Any plans on selling the rex? Older model was the best looking.

Not gonna do Honda i think there spare parts are over priced. My mum had a Jazz and it was a joke.

Keep the opinions coming. :)

Not sure if you'd get insurance with my WRX, and if you could whether you'd want to pay it, it is quite modded! (but has only done 63K and owned from new) Specs are at this link, hopefully!

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10905&highlight=nadg63

Might consider selling as just bought a new 'project' car.

Pharkus
31st January 2008, 03:51 PM
Well penny for your thoughts, we traded 2 Astras and some financing for a MY08 Golf R32.

Considered the WRX and EVO but insurance asks you to throw away the KY jelly, pull down your pants and bend over.

Also, probably the aesthetics of the car in general on the inside are much better than the other two. I guess I don't need to say anything about the exhaust note (stock!)

That's what suited us anyways.

USC
31st January 2008, 04:09 PM

in terms of looks, the celica does look a millions times better..corolla looks blend and very ordinary.

USC
31st January 2008, 04:10 PM
Thats exactly right!

I also say that he should look into the SRI turbo he can get a 06/07 model for around 27k

thats prob. private sale with high kms.

CORZZA
31st January 2008, 05:44 PM
thats prob. private sale with high kms.

privates sale yes!

High kms no! seem a couple with around 15 000kms

rjastra
1st February 2008, 11:16 AM
The celica is noticeably lighter than a COrolla Sportivo and comes with a multilink rear suspension rather than the corollas beam axle.

Wraith
1st February 2008, 12:36 PM
I think those suggestions on the sport coupes don't suit guys, as 'Struz' would prefer a 4 door sedan...

I say if your most keen on an earlier model rex out of all the possibilities mentioned, then just take the time to go out there and try find a good one - you may get lucky ;)

nadg63
1st February 2008, 01:08 PM
I think those suggestions on the sport coupes don't suit guys, as 'Struz' would prefer a 4 door sedan...

I say if your most keen on an earlier model rex out of all the possibilities mentioned, then just take the time to go out there and try find a good one - you may get lucky ;)

Mine is a very good one!

JohnBu
1st February 2008, 01:28 PM
Well penny for your thoughts, we traded 2 Astras and some financing for a MY08 Golf R32.

Considered the WRX and EVO but insurance asks you to throw away the KY jelly, pull down your pants and bend over.

Also, probably the aesthetics of the car in general on the inside are much better than the other two. I guess I don't need to say anything about the exhaust note (stock!)

That's what suited us anyways.

Nice one...

I love the R32s.. u got the 3 or 5 door?

what were the insurance premiums?

the Evo and wrx are pretty reasonable..

agree with the build quality,... soo much better... but the new lancer is much improved (however still behind the golf).

CORZZA
1st February 2008, 05:14 PM
the celica is still slower