PDA

View Full Version : Astra Twin Top

CNBLU
18th January 2008, 03:32 PM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=v8-LiGPOyJI

Red AH SRI T
18th January 2008, 04:21 PM
There's also a Holden version of the same add. I remember seeing a thing of how they made the video and how they had the car set up on this rig to move it around and they had this wave machine actually dumping water on it.

Wraith
18th January 2008, 04:56 PM
Yeh, great vid, seen it a few times on TV too :)

Great looker the AH twin top is, hope Holden bring in the 2 turbo variants and do it soon !!!

I reckon they're losing heaps of sales to VW (turbo Eos) ATM because they don't have the turbos here to compete with it....

tuzinski
18th January 2008, 06:01 PM
There's also a Holden version of the same add. I remember seeing a thing of how they made the video and how they had the car set up on this rig to move it around and they had this wave machine actually dumping water on it.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SQFoNW6zHQU

yea the making of is cool!

Shaun
18th January 2008, 10:14 PM
Holden use the " ready to go " song in theres though

Shaun
18th January 2008, 10:15 PM
Heres how they made the advert.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SQFoNW6zHQU

maloo97
18th January 2008, 10:38 PM
Double Post Shaun ?

Shaun
18th January 2008, 10:42 PM
nope....

Wraith
22nd January 2008, 12:55 PM
Double Post Shaun ?

Links look the same to me too :confused:

Is there something we're missing ??

RudeOne
23rd January 2008, 04:43 PM
Does the open roof that fast in real life?

Wraith
23rd January 2008, 04:53 PM
I think it takes 25 seconds on the twin top ??

RudeOne
25th January 2008, 12:29 PM
is that much faster than the g?

Wraith
25th January 2008, 12:36 PM
I'll time mine 2night and let you know :)

A quick search on the net should bring up the figures, I think the TS does it in 29 or 30 seconds ??

imay
25th January 2008, 08:16 PM
I think the TS does it in 29 or 30 seconds ??

Correct again Ange! Is there anything you don't know . . . about Astra TS?

I'm really not convinced about the workings of the TwinTop roof. Lots of whirring and clunking before the roof completes it's cycle. The TS might be a little bit slower . . . but I have a lot more confidence in it doing what it is designed to do than I do in the AH. The TwinTop has little electric motors to open and close bits and bobs all over the place. Too fussy for my liking.

Hope this opinion doesn't upset any TwinTop owners.

Wraith
26th January 2008, 01:11 PM
Correct again Ange! Is there anything you don't know . . . about Astra TS?

I'm really not convinced about the workings of the TwinTop roof. Lots of whirring and clunking before the roof completes it's cycle. The TS might be a little bit slower . . . but I have a lot more confidence in it doing what it is designed to do than I do in the AH. The TwinTop has little electric motors to open and close bits and bobs all over the place. Too fussy for my liking.

Hope this opinion doesn't upset any TwinTop owners.

Thanks Ian, that's taken away the task of me having to look it up or time mine :)

I was actually taking a guess at it, as I'd totally forgotten the figure :o

I suppose if you did get a twin top and then also grabbed an extended warranty, that should ease the worry and add some peace of mind, just in case it does go ape on you :)

Either way, they (fabric vs metal top verts) have their pros and cons, as you know I'd never sell my TS, I just love the sexy look and allure of a nice soft top convertible, but I'd have a hard top convertible as another everyday car in a flash, as I've stated in 'Nice car's thread, they do offer better sound and weather control, better safety and longevity and I especially love the twin tops ability to lower and raise the top while on the go, albeit at a very slow pace, but at least you don't have to come to a complete standstill :)

imay
26th January 2008, 01:58 PM
I especially love the twin tops ability to lower and raise the top while on the go, albeit at a very slow pace, but at least you don't have to come to a complete standstill :)

This can also be done (slowly, slowly of course!) in the TS. Just click the handbrake to the first notch, not engaged just the warning light on, and action the roof. The handbrake warning light/switch is the key.
First time I did it, I was caught at a set of traffic lights when it started to rain (long time ago mind you) and the lights went green. Handbrake to the first click, hold the close roof button and drive off slowly. Roof is up, everyone is dry and I've not held up any traffic. Simple.
Can do the same putting the car away in the garage. By the time the door is down, the roof is up and vice-versa!

Mind you . . . I don't recommend this procedure at anything above walking pace!

Wraith
27th January 2008, 04:16 PM
This can also be done (slowly, slowly of course!) in the TS. Just click the handbrake to the first notch, not engaged just the warning light on, and action the roof. The handbrake warning light/switch is the key.
First time I did it, I was caught at a set of traffic lights when it started to rain (long time ago mind you) and the lights went green. Handbrake to the first click, hold the close roof button and drive off slowly. Roof is up, everyone is dry and I've not held up any traffic. Simple.
Can do the same putting the car away in the garage. By the time the door is down, the roof is up and vice-versa!

Mind you . . . I don't recommend this procedure at anything above walking pace!

Yes, I was aware you could do that, it's the same trick for activating head unit DVD decks whilst on the move :) or you could just wire up the safety circut directly to an earth point ;)

But I've never been brave enough to do it in my vert, I'm extremely fearful that even at very low velocity, the wind drag forces might act like a sail and will shear and wreck the top....walking pace should be ok :)