PDA

View Full Version : 2.2 SRI vs 2.0 SRIT

extralarge
28th June 2004, 01:03 PM
Which engine would you prefer, considering the price and other factors?

The not-so-hot Astra T 2.0 engine is an old, dated design and has a 'hasty lash up' in effort to get more power. It was reengineered to fit the turbo on. It is commendable for its low torque and wide spread, which accounts for excellent usability. The non turbo 2.0 has already been phased out for opel/vauxhall.

The 2.2 16v is a revvier engine, newer and more advanced, with aluminium head and block. It can be easily bored to 2.4 litres and balanced to rev much higher than the 2.0 Turbo. It does, however, seem to lose out becuase despite is 108kw, expects 8-second performance (for 0-100), but instead, arrives at 8.9-9.1 seconds (due to 3rd gear change). In terms of drivability, maybe better to the peaky turbo.

Imagine a 2.2 turbo being released in the future... btw whats anybody's times for 2.2sri 0-100?

BoostedAstra
28th June 2004, 01:08 PM
hmmm, personally no debate, SriT...

I have owned both, yes the 2.2 is an advanced engine, when comparing to the turbo.....However does not provide the same broad smile when going hard on the loud peddle....

Have to admit the turbo is a bit of a slap dash thing(airbox is similar to 1.8) but you can't compare the two, the snail changes everything....

Julian

GOZOFF
28th June 2004, 01:09 PM
Just look at the current SAAB 2.3litre Turbo engine thats a 2.2 stroked opel engine makin 180+ KW :lol:

InsaneAsylum
28th June 2004, 01:11 PM
where did you get your info from... i'd always assume that an engine with less stroke would be more "revvier"

Vectracious
28th June 2004, 01:49 PM
The 2.0 is a very similar engine to what was bored out to 2.2L and put in the Vectra B's sold in Australia ( the UK/Euro Vectra's had the all aluminium donk)

People who have driven both a 2.2L Vectra B and a 2.2 Astra SRi reckon that the older engine is more responsive and more controllable than the newer one. PLus the newer engine has electronic throttle which I absolutely hate. Sometimes it feels like it doesn't matter how much the throttle is open, the car accelerates the same. And forget about nice gear changing with it either. That's one thing I hate about my wifes car, it's as if I can't drive a manual :(

And it may be an old engine, but it's bulletproof. The Family 2 has been around since the Camira!!!

I love my C22SEL.

rjastra
28th June 2004, 02:00 PM
Just look at the current SAAB 2.3litre Turbo engine thats a 2.2 stroked opel engine makin 180+ KW

it is ?? could have fooled me :)

The Saab with the opel derived engine is the new 9.3 And it uses a destroked 2.2L opel engine. Its based on the same family as 2.2L SRi engine. Therefore has a alloy head and block.

Personally I'd rather have a 2.4L VVT version in the next SRI rather than a low blow turbo. Just makes more sense for both service costs and insurance costs.

btw whats anybody's times for 2.2sri 0-100?

Who cares? The gearing hasn't been set up for that. It's the way it overtakes that makes it such a nice engine. Also how bloody smooth it is. Would have to be one of the smoothest 4 cylinder engines around.
Only the Accord Euro 2.4 i drove on the weekend matches the smoothness of the 2.2L

RK
28th June 2004, 02:13 PM
someone on opelaus has bored out the 2.2 engine, to 2.5 i think. and will be bolting on a turbo soon.

freaktown
28th June 2004, 03:00 PM
Sounds good, wont be able to rev out to much thought now he's bored it out! mabey he's going for low down tourque lol!

Im thinking of taking the car of the road and attempting to supercharge it myself!

Should be interesting! :screwy:

Nem
28th June 2004, 03:59 PM
I'd prefer my 2.2 over the 2.0 as long as I could spend some money on the 2.2. Got to love the turbo for its stock performance though but I just think that the 2.2 given the right beans would be a much better engine.

Turblue
28th June 2004, 04:24 PM
Having driven both, I gotta say the SRiT wins hands down. It has torque no matter what rev range.

I noticed the SRi2.2 has pull mainly in the higher rpm band. No argument there. But the SRiT has pull across the whole rpm range. By the time the SRi2.2 is going, the SRiT is gone.

There are of course other considerations. Bigger wheels and better brakes....

My 10cents worth.

OPL-20T
28th June 2004, 04:30 PM
Firstly Saabs are too over $$$ and not worth the $$$ you pay.
for 180+Kw on a Saab u can buy better cars out there.

SRI-T i would take over SRi.

when a SRi with an exhaust can Beat a SUBI just like i done so the other day with my SRi-T :), then i might consider to buy an SRi.

Till that day comes i'll keep my SRi-T thanx.

SplogSRiT
28th June 2004, 07:25 PM
Not this bloody topic again!

If we are talking cars and not just motors then the 7 or 8K difference is worth it if that's within the budget.

The z20let isn’t some ad hoc turbo conversion. The turbo system is just as well designed as any Japanese turbo motor.

The z20let can also get better fuel economy than the 2.2…. even though it’s turbo and produces more power.

As for smoothness there isn’t much in it.

2.2 has better pull below 2000rpm. And is marginally lighter..

Don’t get me wrong I love the 2.2. I love the Astra Sri. My dad owns one and I have driven it a lot (a lot more than a burn around the block with a car dealer). My only gripe is the slightly notchy gear shift. It could be a lovely hot hatch with some minor modifications.

I have said too much.

Roger

ultim8DTM5
28th June 2004, 07:32 PM
Exactly Roger!

I was reading "since when is the Z20LET an incarnation of the C20LET?"
:screwy:

DoomTrooper
28th June 2004, 07:41 PM
i personally choose the 1.8 due to its reliability and fuel economy for city driving and the nice feel it gives me, so go to hell all you fancy 2L cars, 1.8 all the way
(joke ppl just my jelous side)
anyone know if the 1.8 can be bored to a 2L?
i know it will prolly cost me an arm and a leg or 2 but is interesting to find out bout it

OPC
28th June 2004, 07:50 PM
yeah i had a 2.2 auto last year and did 17 secs down the quarter very slow and i also had a k & n with extractors and 2 1/2 all the way through

redwrx13
28th June 2004, 10:29 PM
get a awd 2.0......... you get more power that way and a bigger smile........ :mrgreen: :shock: :P

InsaneAsylum
28th June 2004, 10:31 PM
hehe an awd drivetrain would give a much larger power loss from the flywheel to the wheels, than a FWD drivetrain... the good thing about awd is that it doesn't suffer from the same traction issues as a FWD car does

rjastra
28th June 2004, 10:46 PM
2.2 has better pull below 2000rpm. And is marginally lighter..

Marginally??? SRiT is 50kg heavier than the normal SRi.
If the majority of the extra weught isn't in the engine then where is it??

I can tell you that the engine is at least 20-30kg heavier than the all alloy 2.2L.

InsaneAsylum
28th June 2004, 11:09 PM
sorry to say but this topic is going downhill :bang: :bang:

why don't we just say each car is different in many ways... or we could compare the RB26DETT with an Isuzu G161Z :roll:

someone spoke about weight... well my vectra weighs a little bit less than your astra sri's... maybe it's because i like to wind down my windows instead of pressing a button :mrgreen:

Anonymous
29th June 2004, 05:12 PM
Sounds good, wont be able to rev out to much thought now he's bored it out! mabey he's going for low down tourque lol!

Im thinking of taking the car of the road and attempting to supercharge it myself!

Should be interesting! :screwy:

My New Project Engine is taken to just under 2.4l something like 2364cc.
It revs Harder than stock, Stock will take 7500rpm but Valves will kiss Pistons
Ask Degen_Astra, He's been in my 2.2(current Engine) with Limiters off and I take it to 7200ish all day every day.
The New Engine is Balanced and Blueprinted Bottom End. Every Piston weighs Identically the same, As do the Rods and Crank Throw.
Has New Ground Cams, Tad more lift with a Longer Duration.
Plus I only want Revs. So than If Heaven forbid I miss a Gear, I don't have $4500 Hand Grenade that just had the Pin Removed :oops:
If a VW Boxer can be worked to take 8500rpm, So can a Astra Z22SE :D

Anonymous
29th June 2004, 05:29 PM
And To Continue this "Debate"
Like Rjastra commented, The 2.2 isn't geared to be Quick off the Line.
Personally I was going to buy a SRi Turbo, But Main factors why I didn't.
The Price was Wrong, At the Time $45000 + ORC was Crap.
For that Price I could be like everyone else had a 200SX or WRX.
Extra $15k for Crap I ain't gunna use or take off any way.
I'll Leave it there, I get a Lil Tungsten Carbide hitting a Finger with this :D

Degen-Astra
29th June 2004, 05:55 PM
Ask Degen_Astra, He's been in my 2.2(current Engine) with Limiters off and I take it to 7200ish all day every day.

Thats why it was still chirping in 3rd... :twisted: Haa haa!

rjastra
29th June 2004, 06:56 PM

Tell me more... the most infuriating aspect of the SRi is that low low red line. What ahve you done to overcome this?

Anonymous
29th June 2004, 07:03 PM
I had my ECU Piss farted Around with by a Mate @ Mantello Holden(Melb.) plus I don't have a Aussie ECU, Its a OPC or whatever due too being one of the 1st in Oz.
And I have a Kent Camshaft Kit(Installed before I bought it) that pushes the Revs up as well.
It used to rev too 6800 then Cut out(Stock is 6500)but my Mate Chris said ya can Change it with there Computers @ Holden.
But also I think Unichip or APS have a P.i.g.g.y.(ya can't say it with .... Here) back that can be used on the 2.2 to overcome the Barely Turning Redline. :D

Degen-Astra
29th June 2004, 07:14 PM
http://www.steinmetz.de/produkte_e/specials/spezials.htm

Check out this link in regards to a 2.0 16v being bored to a 2.3.
167kw @ 7.250rpm
240Nm @ 5.750rpm

Jass
29th June 2004, 07:24 PM
umm 167kw sounds good. That's without touching the Ecu too??

A more strengthen engine means u can run more boost too. But what about TC?

shaohaok
29th June 2004, 09:36 PM
I had my ECU Piss farted Around with by a Mate @ Mantello Holden(Melb.) plus I don't have a Aussie ECU, Its a OPC or whatever due too being one of the 1st in Oz.
And I have a Kent Camshaft Kit(Installed before I bought it) that pushes the Revs up as well.
It used to rev too 6800 then Cut out(Stock is 6500)but my Mate Chris said ya can Change it with there Computers @ Holden.
But also I think Unichip or APS have a P.i.g.g.y.(ya can't say it with .... Here) back that can be used on the 2.2 to overcome the Barely Turning Redline. :D

could u show us a pic of it, pleaase? i'm curious...

extralarge
30th June 2004, 11:24 PM
Kid-SRI got sth going there...

btw heres some figures on performance 0-60mph though (shy of 0-100kmh)

2.2i 16V SRi 3d 7.9
2.0i 16V SRi Turbo 3d 7.0

for the 1.8 engine owners:
1.8i 16V CD 5d 8.5
1.8i 16V CD 5d Auto 10.0 <-- auto on the 1.8 is definitely slower

all figures sound spot on. remember 0-60mph=0-62kmh so add ~.2 seconds on

__Smudge__
1st July 2004, 05:51 AM
V6 :twisted: V6 :twisted: V6 :twisted:
8) 8) 8) 8)

Anonymous
1st July 2004, 06:48 AM
I think I jumped the gun a bit by saying i have a OPC ECU.
Its just a Earlier Model of the Delco Computer, Which was only in the Really Early 2.2

Seus
1st July 2004, 11:15 AM
the SRi 2.2 may not be as fast as the 2.0T,
but once i push the sports button, nothing can catch me :twisted:

i guess abit higher revs would be good, however, i don't find it has a great top end anyway
maybe i'm wrong, but i 'feel' the power coming on mid range, but don't trust my :screwy:

Vectracious
1st July 2004, 11:43 AM
Kid-SRI got sth going there...

btw heres some figures on performance 0-60mph though (shy of 0-100kmh)

2.2i 16V SRi 3d 7.9
2.0i 16V SRi Turbo 3d 7.0

for the 1.8 engine owners:
1.8i 16V CD 5d 8.5
1.8i 16V CD 5d Auto 10.0 <-- auto on the 1.8 is definitely slower

all figures sound spot on. remember 0-60mph=0-62kmh so add ~.2 seconds on

Hmm so that's why I can't keep up with my wife when she is driving the Astra (manual 1.8).

Plus 0-60mph is 0-100km/h not 60km/h.

Seus
1st July 2004, 12:05 PM
he obviously meant 0-62mph = 0-100 kmh

extralarge
1st July 2004, 10:06 PM
sorry

yes 0-62mph = 0-100kmh