PDA

View Full Version : (N.S.W) Can you pick the police car?

maloo97
14th January 2008, 07:31 PM
As found and read in the Daily Telegraph today, This is just another way of revenue raising, But at the same time Getting idiot's off the street doing the wrong thing. Full article and link here,

ANY car on the road could now be a cop car, thanks to a NSW Police initiative to combat hoons and law breakers.
Highway patrol officers have used unmarked police cars for years.
But the latest scheme sees a range of high performance sports vehicles including Ford Falcon Typhoons and Suburu Impreza WRXs patrolling the streets.
The vehicles are fitted with the latest accessories and are in a range of colours - some even sporting "P" plates - to fit in with vehicles commonly associated with car hoons.
Police Traffic Services Commander Chief Superintendent John Hartley said the scheme was part of a ploy to "blend in" with the hoons.
"What we're doing is using a combination of marked and unmarked police cars," Supt Hartley said.
"We're using covert style vehicles which are, in the main, high performance cars like the (Ford) Typhoons.
"They are a new strategy to get cars that blend in with the hoodlums.
"What we find is people don't pick them as police cars and it's easier to pick offences like speeding, using a mobile phone or not wearing a seatbelts.
"We've found that people usually slow down and modify their driving behaviour when they see a marked police car.
"What we're trying to do is get the message across that anywhere, anytime, any car could be a police car.
"You won't know whether the car beside you is a police car or not."
But the fleet designed to catch law-breakers on the roads does not stop at new or sports-modified models.
Police are also deploying older, well-worn cars as part of their covert traffic operations, Supt Hartley said.
It seems to be working, with speeding and drink driving offences well down over the Christmas period.
And although it has a very serious side to it, the new cars are providing police with one or two "lighter moments"
"The officers tell me that they have had a couple of people pull alongside with the intention of a drag race," Supt Hartley said. "They think the better of it when they look across and see a police uniform on the guy sitting behind the wheel."
Supt Hartley said a "classic" example of the success of the scheme was the recent case of a hire car driver who was pulled over for speeding while ferrying a bride and groom.
Police began deploying the undercover vehicles in March when the State Government announced funding for an additional 50 highway patrol cars.
They took delivery of the fleet shortly before the Christmas traffic campaign.
"I think it's having a big impact on the street racing and hoodlum activity (but) it's probably to early to tell about general driving behaviour," Supt Hartley said.

Link: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23046318-5001021,00.html)

Ishley
14th January 2008, 07:48 PM
They are getting cheeky. In ipswich (apart from the Falcon XR6/Turbo's/8's) they now have 380 VRX'x. A white Rodeo LT, with canopy. And a Hyundai Sonata!!!!!!!

To catch the unsuspecting idiots. :D

maloo97
14th January 2008, 07:53 PM
Just last night when i was filling up with fuel, I noticed 2 police in uniform filling up in a Vy ss commy with wheels and dropped and dark dark tint.
Like that dark u could not see in, but here i have seen marked vrx's too and undercover Falcon XR6 and XR8's with racing stripes. Mostly seen those on stoney creek road in sydney.

Shaun
14th January 2008, 08:07 PM
Ahh its about time the Police got one up on those who are trying to break the law.

sooty
14th January 2008, 08:28 PM
some even sporting "P" plates - to fit in with vehicles commonly associated with car hoons.

That's entrapment and breaking the law if the driver isn't technically a p-plater

MatsHolden
14th January 2008, 08:33 PM
That's entrapment and breaking the law if the driver isn't technically a p-plater

Nothing wrong with entrapment in Australia in a court of law. Only America.

maloo97
14th January 2008, 08:37 PM

I beleave a Person on there full licence can drive a car with p plates on.
And its not againts the law either.

sooty
14th January 2008, 08:56 PM

At least in sydney, yes it is, read the comments after the article where it states that someone got fined for having them up whilst on their full licence.
And some rules of entrapment still apply i.e. you can't just hide a speed camera anywhere. So i was unsure as to whether this still counts, maybe not by law, but morally, you have to admit...
Also, (not sure about NSW) but you'd hope that they were < 125kw/tonne or they'd better fine themselves for not obeying the p-plate rules, if you're gonna display them, don't set double standards..

tuzinski
14th January 2008, 09:07 PM
im going to move houses closer to the cop shop, so i know what they have....

MatsHolden
14th January 2008, 09:14 PM
And some rules of entrapment still apply i.e. you can't just hide a speed camera anywhere...

But they do... lol Police hiding with their laser guns for instance. I suppose just don't do anything wrong and you'll be fine. Afterall if someone pulls up beside you and wants to drag, in the eyes of the law you should ignore them. If it happens to be a cop then bad luck. Morally, I guess entrapment, but if they are allowed to do it then good for them.

sooty
14th January 2008, 09:17 PM
But they do... lol Police hiding with their laser guns for instance. I suppose just don't do anything wrong and you'll be fine. Afterall if someone pulls up beside you and wants to drag, in the eyes of the law you should ignore them. If it happens to be a cop then bad luck. Morally, I guess entrapment, but if they are allowed to do it then good for them.

true, it will get a lot of bad drivers thinking twice, but still...just pulled at my strings of morallity.

maloo97
14th January 2008, 09:27 PM
Is it also true in Adelaide they park " Normal " Cars on the side of the road with speed camera's in them ?

MatsHolden
14th January 2008, 09:28 PM
Is it also true in Adelaide they park " Normal " Cars on the side of the road with speed camera's in them ?

They do that in Vic... Have done for years. I thought it was nationwide?

sooty
14th January 2008, 09:29 PM
In melb they have the ones where there's just a tiny camera on the dash and the radar is hidden in the grille so there's no way of knowing, that what you're talking about?

maloo97
14th January 2008, 09:35 PM
Yeh in nsw we now have a camera front and back that is in rec when u get pulled over etc, and or we have marked cars with radars.
and or new colour commys. Red, Purple etc.

sooty
14th January 2008, 09:42 PM
we have those too, but these are like hyundai sonata's, corollas, Nissan Navara utes etc that just look like they are parked on the side of the road. None of those stupid boxes sitting well out in front of the car that are easy to see. 2 new black SSV Commo's are now unmarked cop cars in the Knox region of Vic for those who live close. Got inside knowledge :D

Ishley
14th January 2008, 09:46 PM
Up here they have marked speed camera vans (Mercedes Vito's and Landcruiser's). They have also just introduced 3 fixed speed camera's.

I have also seen a new Subaru Liberty GT, Honda Accord Euro, Ford Focus XR5 and a BA Falcon XR6 with ford stickers on it, as well as guages. All unmarked police cars. They are there very best to fit in with the crowd in hopes of catching more people out.

CJB
14th January 2008, 09:48 PM
We also have a ute with mags that cruises the highways, and as you get beside him he will drop back and rev, as though he wants to race - once you race - bam you're gone!

It's a cop car.

ALSO, as Ash said, a Sonata. No joke the other night, on the way home we were at the lights and this VN was next to us, real Bogan driving. He took off from the lights pretty fast - as expected, and soon to follow was a Sonata - I jokingly said "Imagine if they were cops" - we get around the corner, and they are!!!

This is why I always look in my mirrors, and studied cars. If I see a new unmarked car around town, I always tell my friends in town via sms - car colour, car type, rego plate.

They are getting sneaky, but it's clever, especially when they are using 4 cylinders (Focus) even if Turbo, you just wouldnt expect them to be Cops.

tuzinski
14th January 2008, 09:54 PM
This is why I always look in my mirrors, and studied cars. If I see a new unmarked car around town, I always tell my friends in town via sms - car colour, car type, rego plate.
lol i do the same, my friends always say look at the road not mirrors, im like u look at the road ill look whats behind and around, when see a police model of a car parked on the side i always slow down...

this old dude (around 60) in a wrx told me that i got caught by cops that where going the other way.... idiot.

MatsHolden
14th January 2008, 09:58 PM
this old dude (around 60) in a wrx told me that i got caught by cops that where going the other way.... idiot.

They can get you going the other way. If they do though they will pull you over... they are not like speed cameras.

tuzinski
14th January 2008, 10:02 PM
this was my post from the nsw forum:

cop cars with p plates, i guess ill have to buy myself a light bar and act like one.

few things that i know, is that normal uncover cars:
- dont have any frames around the number plate
- dont have dealer stickers on back windows
- have AA11AA style number plates
- have either 3 antennas on the rear window or one thick on on the rear pass anger side (on the boot sorta)
- dont ever use their fog lights
- if you are driving infront of it, you will see the light bar on the dash or infront of the rear vision mirror
- the cars have darker rear windows with the rear window

if you can get anymore info tell me/us

how i know this i went on a technology study with my lil cuzin for her school.... she done it for me [=

hahaha

CJB
14th January 2008, 10:08 PM
I have seen them driving with fog lights on - part of their way of blending in.

Dead give away is the aerials on the back window, and the slight glow from inside.

And I have been done with cops going the other way, they simply brake, put their lights on and turn around.

Ishley
14th January 2008, 10:10 PM
In QLD they use LED lights. You can see them in the front grill on the car when you get close.

Huhness
14th January 2008, 10:12 PM
this is stupid... Why do they even sit on highways? 99% of accidents are caused by dumb **** heads merging in and out of traffic and not looking in their blind spots! Not speeding.. They should concerntrate on driver education and road rules to create more sensible drivers!! Ive only lived on the coast for a few months and its a regular occurance seeing people nearly running others off the road ive almost been merged into several times!!

Hiding and fitting in with everyone else defeats the entire purpose of police presence! Sure any car could be a cop but when you come up behind a yaris do you slow down?? **** no but youll ****ing slow down if its a cop car..

Dont even get me started with them asking for tasers to become astandard tool for the police force...

CJB
14th January 2008, 10:15 PM
Then don't drive on the M1 from the Gold Coast to Brisbane ... because guaranteed every 5kms is a cop car pulling someone over.

I agree though, more driver education needs to be administered. However, speed still is a number 1 killer, or even best case scenario, causes bad accidents, especially when you have inexperienced drivers behind the wheel.

MatsHolden
14th January 2008, 10:15 PM
Hiding and fitting in with everyone else defeats the entire purpose of police presence! Sure any car could be a cop but when you come up behind a yaris do you slow down?? **** no but youll ****ing slow down if its a cop car..

That's what they're obviously trying to stop though. People see a cop car they slow down whilst it's around, it turns off, speed up again. Whereas if any car could be a cop car then they are hoping that people will drive keeping that in mind ALL the time, not just when they see one. But yeh driver education is a must.

maloo97
14th January 2008, 10:30 PM
That's what they're obviously trying to stop though. People see a cop car they slow down whilst it's around, it turns off, speed up again. Whereas if any car could be a cop car then they are hoping that people will drive keeping that in mind ALL the time, not just when they see one. But yeh driver education is a must.

Yep. Thats what it basicly says in the article.

Huhness
14th January 2008, 10:32 PM

ok yea I agree that does happen...

I think they heading in the right direction with driver education my sister has to do something like 100 hours daytime driving and 50 hours night driving! I thought 50 hours was alot.. But i think learners should have to attend a drivers ed class at the cop shop or local rta where they are told about how the consequences of driving.. I learnt the shit way and the first 2 years of my driving history was cause more havok in my life than anything else!! It took a year in court for me to finally relise what could have been taught in a few seminars or something.. What these inexperienced drivers dont know is driving is a massive responsibility.. **** up and it could cost you your life or someone innocent..

tuzinski
14th January 2008, 10:39 PM
on storys i was speeding on a local road and spun out onto the most hated chicks lawn from school, the cops didnt care, but they forced me to got a advanced driving session/day and i must say it was the best thing ever.

all new p platers or l platers going to get p's should have at least the basic one done, so if something does go wrong or they do something stupid they know how get out of it

and keep them hidden, as yea if people see the marked car they are calm and peaceful, but if cops assimilate withe cars then drivers do stupid shit and get caught.

Shaun
14th January 2008, 11:32 PM
I think its one of the best things the NSW Police force could have done. How many cars do you see running up and down busy sydney roads having traffic light runs. Honestly all . I would love to put some of these " hoons" into a Hwy Patrol car for a week and let them attend a MVA where people are trapped and have had to be cut out of cars and other horrific sences. Its about time the Police were smart about this and started to catch the dumb asses who feel racing on public roads is a hero status. Guys and girls from Sydney. We have WSID. Melbourne you Have Calder. Why not use them.
$50.00 (not sure of the cost @ Calder though) is a lot cheaper then loosing your licence then having to attend court and the possiablity of loss of income because you cant get to work whilst your licence is suspended .

Shaun

OPC
14th January 2008, 11:55 PM
I think its one of the best things the NSW Police force could have done. How many cars do you see running up and down busy sydney roads having traffic light runs. Honestly all . I would love to put some of these " hoons" into a Hwy Patrol car for a week and let them attend a MVA where people are trapped and have had to be cut out of cars and other horrific sences. Its about time the Police were smart about this and started to catch the dumb asses who feel racing on public roads is a hero status. Guys and girls from Sydney. We have WSID. Melbourne you Have Calder. Why not use them.
$50.00 (not sure of the cost @ Calder though) is a lot cheaper then loosing your licence then having to attend court and the possiablity of loss of income because you cant get to work whilst your licence is suspended .

Shaun

does this mean you dont street race anymore shaun ?

Shaun
15th January 2008, 12:02 AM
does this mean you dont street race anymore shaun ?

When you know someone who has passed away from these silly acts on the road then you will understand why im being so vocal on the matter.

btm
15th January 2008, 09:20 AM
- dont ever use their fog lights

i have definitely seen cop cars with their foggies on in NSW

And I have been done with cops going the other way, they simply brake, put their lights on and turn around.

that's why i like it when the road has a big concrete divider and no gaps for many many km's :)

Wraith
15th January 2008, 09:40 AM

Totally agree :)

Lets be honest, as some have already mentioned, there are too many people committing very idiotic and dangerous behaviour on our roads, they are a nuisance and danger to other people as well as themselves :mad: if this helps put an end to it or at least reduce it - I say it's a good thing ;)

SSS_Hoon
15th January 2008, 01:08 PM
its a good thing i like it although they shouldnt wear uniform hehehe.

Was only the other day i was stopped at the lights in the left lane a silver XR6 Turbo with wheels tint and a kit, pulls up in the middle lane passenger looks at me looks at my car and then the driver begins to rev it and slowly creep, the passenger then looks at me and goes cmon, i smile and look away, then here another engine revving up was a skyrice on the other side of the ford they were both revving now and they take off both of them spinning the wheels and of and racing, only for me to catch up a few hundreds M down the road and the silver ford was a copper. Now that is entrapement and they should not be allowed to do that.

I have seen that twice now and had it happen to me a few times also(the part where they want to run not actually running them)

There is also a Yellow Monaro gettig round western sydney with custom personalised plates and fully kitted out and modified that is a undercover cop car, apparantly its a confiscated car that they are using.

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
15th January 2008, 01:09 PM
When you know someone who has passed away from these silly acts on the road then you will understand why im being so vocal on the matter.

x2

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
15th January 2008, 01:13 PM
Guys and girls from Sydney. We have WSID. Melbourne you Have Calder. Why not use them.

Shaun

Yeah that is all well and good i to think this is the way to go, although the coppers now are starting to ruin that also, as they go inside with marked cars in uniform(sometimes) and take down number plates of cars in there that they think are defectable or what not, and then they wait outside for them to leave and ping them outside that is not right.

SSS_Hoon

NXA-16H
15th January 2008, 09:26 PM

I believe not. P-Plates are restricted to either 90 km/h or 100km/h.

And if you're busted travelling above that, well, you're busted. And no Gold-License will help you.

Believe me. My father was pulled over for wearing P-Plates, in Kirribilli mind you, whilst on a Gold-License. Highway Patrol said it was misleading.

Bullshit logic or not. It's not worth the risk,

NXK-43Y

cyclonic
15th January 2008, 09:41 PM
I have the scars to prove what stupid driving does. Being on the receiving end, that is.

This isn't a new thing, I remember in my teens seeing the local highway patrol up in northern NSW (Kempsey/Port Macquarie/Coffs Harbour region) driving Commo's with surboards on the roof and all stickered up. You wouldn't have picked it at all.

shoey85
15th January 2008, 10:34 PM
on new years eve i saw 2 uniformed cops pull ova a car in a NEW VE SS with alloys here in Perth.

MatsHolden
15th January 2008, 10:46 PM
on new years eve i saw 2 uniformed cops pull ova a car in a NEW VE SS with alloys here in Perth.

I got pulled over by one of the many VE SS's we have in Vic the other day. They love their unmarked VE SS's here. I see more of those than marked vehicles!

poita
15th January 2008, 10:59 PM

cant agree more with ya on that.
it changes the way you look at everything!

tuzinski
16th January 2008, 06:48 PM
saw a black rx8 undercover, with police only on the back.
it has blue personalised plates
COP159

and had a chrisco sign on the bonnet

Huhness
16th January 2008, 07:16 PM
saw a black rx8 undercover, with police only on the back.
it has blue personalised plates
COP159

and had a chrisco sign on the bonnet
hahaha your making that up!!

tuzinski
16th January 2008, 07:20 PM
hahaha your making that up!!
lol no DEAD set tryed to get a pic of it.
damn phone camera is to slow to load,

its from parra station as i saw it on parra rd.

CJB
16th January 2008, 08:51 PM
i have definitely seen cop cars with their foggies on in NSW

that's why i like it when the road has a big concrete divider and no gaps for many many km's :)

Yes, or when traffic suddenly doesnt permit them to turn, even though they slowed down. Yep, that happened to me.

I can say, after numerous speeding fines (not for OUTRAGEOUS speeding) and two court appearances, I take things slow. No rush. I don't speed, I don't exceed the speed limit by much more then 5kms these days, and half the time that's just because I am have been moving with the flow of traffic.

I just don't think it's worth it - the possibilities of crashing, killing someone, injuring myself just doesn't seem worth it.

I still keep on the lookout for them though, because I hate being pulled over. I always get an uneasy feeling when they are around, after all, I have seen a cop tell us to get f*cked and walk away when needing his help.

tuzinski
16th January 2008, 09:11 PM
I still keep on the lookout for them though, because I hate being pulled over. I always get an uneasy feeling when they are around, after all, I have seen a cop tell us to get f*cked and walk away when needing his help.

did you report it, i reported when i got pulled over for no apparent reason
when they asked if my plates where real and why i had opel badges...

CJB
16th January 2008, 09:15 PM
No I didnt mean they said that when they pulled me over, and they pull me over only when necessary - it's just I don't like being pulled over period, so I keep an eye out... and if need be ... I do turn off. Paranoia at its worst I guess.

If they wanted to, they could get you for anything little, like not correctly indicating at a round about, people don't realise that, it's not just speed, so that's why I keep my eye out.

platypus
17th January 2008, 12:15 AM
They are getting cheeky. In ipswich (apart from the Falcon XR6/Turbo's/8's) they now have 380 VRX'x. A white Rodeo LT, with canopy. And a Hyundai Sonata!!!!!!!

To catch the unsuspecting idiots. :Dor the TRD aurion, then there is the ford explorer which always catches me out

they've also ditched the standard Nissan patrol/ landcruiser for speed camera cars and replaced with Merc Vito vans!!

Lucky_Astra06
12th February 2008, 07:54 PM
surry hills cop shop got a new toy!! :eek:
no aerials or yellow numba plates like da norm...
sum p-plater got done on oxford street outside stonewall this arvo.

got pic from my new fone, so so sxc aint it?? lol :D

sooty
12th February 2008, 07:59 PM
ewwwww....ford in metallic pus colour...
*runs to throw up* :p

maloo97
12th February 2008, 07:59 PM
Ahh not to bad at all, Good spotting lucky.

jsantos
12th February 2008, 11:49 PM
if anyone round here lives in the hills area

There is a blue ford falcon with plates starting with BBJ and a Purpley Blue Holden SS with a HRT sticker on the back windscreen

Seen them a few times

tuzinski
13th February 2008, 12:07 AM
if anyone round here lives in the hills area

There is a blue ford falcon with plates starting with BBJ and a Purpley Blue Holden SS with a HRT sticker on the back windscreen

Seen them a few times
its a sv6/8, AQ46TP, hsv/hrt sticker and had one of those mesh things (for babies) on the pass rear side window

saw a F6 falcon at the drags same pus colour like that^^
AA99AA style plates tho

jsantos
13th February 2008, 04:28 PM
Ah yeah thats the one with the mesh, it was behind a car that broke down on gilbert turning onto showground on my way to work yesterday i think it was

Living in K.Ville what school did you go to mate? I'll have to keep an eye out for your astra, any distinguishing characteristics on it?

tuzinski
13th February 2008, 05:47 PM
Ah yeah thats the one with the mesh, it was behind a car that broke down on gilbert turning onto showground on my way to work yesterday i think it was

Living in K.Ville what school did you go to mate? I'll have to keep an eye out for your astra, any distinguishing characteristics on it?

i went to kville high, weekdays i drive past William Clark (new green rd)

18" rims, opel badging and farting.....

maloo97
13th February 2008, 05:51 PM
Admitting 'Speeding' on a PUBLIC FORUM. Very Smart Tuzz.
Watch out buddy, :p

sooty
13th February 2008, 06:05 PM
Maybe he meant the drug....
Wait...is that better? :D

EL BURITO
13th February 2008, 06:13 PM

18" rims, opel badging and ...................
ppl get in right trouble for that

KID_SRi
13th February 2008, 06:25 PM

18" rims, opel badging and farting.....

Nice Editting Job there Cobber

tim_
13th February 2008, 06:40 PM
surry hills cop shop got a new toy!! :eek:
no aerials or yellow numba plates like da norm...
sum p-plater got done on oxford street outside stonewall this arvo.

oh i love stonewall!!

Lucky_Astra06
13th February 2008, 08:01 PM
cant say ive eva gone der tim, but ill take ya word on it dude;)...
shuld have said havs instead dat place is heaps beta n da New York slice store
next door is da best drunken food eva mmmmm:D!!!

jlgu
14th February 2008, 03:13 AM
http://i32.tinypic.com/521elf.jpg

bit out of the topic

poita
14th February 2008, 09:47 AM
rofl
thats classic

tim_
14th February 2008, 06:34 PM
i think it's all a money making exercise. that's all trying to get people to race does.

ynmakr
17th February 2008, 01:02 PM
....when I lived in St Kilda, Vic many years ago there was a V8 commo ute and a station wagon (unmarked) that used to pull people up on the Westgate bridge entrance every Friday and Saturday night. That was a surprise, good in some ways, bad in others.
Up here in Coffs they mainly have 4wds but over long weekends we get the Hwy patrol cops from Sydney with bright orange pursuit cars and they really stand out. People up here still do the flash headlights thing to warn you if your heading towards the cop on the side of the road though, again, in some ways good in some ways bad :cool:

maloo97
17th February 2008, 03:41 PM
Last night in cronulla Saw a blue Mitsubishi 380. Unmarked.
Only noticed it was a cop as the lights were flashing from the front dash and no where else on the car.