PDA

View Full Version : Hoon Blitz in Qld

Dee
14th January 2008, 03:34 PM
Bold hoons dismay police
By Greg Stolz
January 13, 2008 02:00pm

HOONS did burnouts in front of shocked police who impounded seven cars during a weekend traffic blitz conducted at the Gold Coast.

During the crackdown almost a third of drivers pulled over were arrested or issued with traffic infringement notices.

The blitz, dubbed Operation Trap Door, targeted known hoon hotspot the Southport Broadwater car park and major roads including the M1.

Southport police station officer-in-charge Scott Bolitho said police were stunned and dismayed by some driver behaviour, especially during rain on last night and early this morning.

Some car enthusiasts leaving the Broadwater car park thumbed their noses at the large police presence by fishtailing their vehicles and doing burnouts.

``That's just remarkable,'' Acting Senior Sergeant Bolitho said. ``If they're doing that in front of police, then what are they doing when police aren't there? There's no doubt there's a band of younger drivers that just don't seem to heed road rules and regulations, even in front of police.''

One motorist was pulled over on the M1 at Helensvale travelling at 160km/h - a speed Sen-Sgt Bolitho described as 'death on wheels'.

Another motorist was stopped at Ashmore doing 113km/h in a 60km/h zone.

All up, police pulled over more than 370 drivers and issued 113 infringement notices. Five motorists caught in the blitz risk having their cars confiscated under new legislation.

The law allows vehicles to be seized from second-time offenders caught driving unlicensed or unregistered, with illegally modified or seriously defective vehicles or for high-range drink-driving.

Four people were charged with drink-driving - the worst with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.149 per cent.

I would just like to discuss this article that has been found here [http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23045832-3102,00.html] and input from people that have been to Broadwater Carpark on a Saturday night would also be appreciated.

I’m having an issue with the way that young enthusiasts are being portrayed, I am aware this discussion comes up a lot, but this article really annoyed me. I have spent many Saturday nights at Broadwater Carpark and luckily have never been part of the lockdown the police occasionally pull on the venue, but I have never seen the kind of behaviour that has been spoken of in this article. Do they realise that it’s possibly because of the police presence and the fact they are defecting and issuing tickets and ruining a usually quiet nice that the “hoons” are playing up.

Sure there are cars in there that need to be defected, and there are people out there that do stupid things. But the way they just shut down a whole carpark because it holds hundreds of younger people who have a passion for cars because they are “hoons” pisses me off. There is the odd dickhead speeding up the rows of the carpark and the odd hero that has to chirp their tyres on the way around a corner, etc. but not too often in reality.

As one of the comments below the article in the link says, there are plenty of other cars out there that need to be targeted to - the cars that go swerving between traffic without indicating, the larger 4x4’s that sit right up your ass and the older cars that are rusted and would crumple if someone sneezed on them. Not to mention the multitude of cars that have bald tyres, blown lights in headlights / brake lights, faded number plates, etc.

Once again the media has blown it up and made a story out of it I guess. But it’s annoying, I don’t want to be see as one of the “hoons” they portray.

Discuss.

MatsHolden
14th January 2008, 03:52 PM
It only takes one unfortunately...

btm
14th January 2008, 04:03 PM
this happens all the time along the grand pde @ brighton

they ended up putting gates at each end of the car parks and close them at night now

they tried playing barry manilow through speakers to deter 'hoons' - but this did not work

oneightoo
14th January 2008, 04:33 PM
i dont see what your problem is with this Dee??

if you're not doing anything wrong then wheres the problem??

you are obviously not the ones they are looking for and obviously not a "hoon"..

people doing burnouts and fishy'ing up the road in front of police are, and deserve to have fines issued..

i say good on the cops for doing this..

i guess the alternative is, the police can do nothing, and someone can get killed..

Dee
14th January 2008, 04:37 PM
This is true Maffew, I'm just sick of the media portraying everyone in that carpark was a hoon .... when clearly not everyone that goes there is a hoon.

So as Matt said, it only takes one.

oneightoo
14th January 2008, 04:39 PM
although i have been in the tivo with you......... :p

Dee
14th January 2008, 04:43 PM
Yes but I don't do burnouts in crowded carparks, or drive over the limit or have an unroadworthy car.

I may have an occasional silly moment, but I'm not a hoon constantly. I've settled a lot since I bought the SRi. I'm getting old I suppose.

What's the bet they target the Spit this weekend coming.

oneightoo
14th January 2008, 04:47 PM
thats why you arent a hoon and the police arent targeting you..

do people get a bit silly at the spit?

Dee
14th January 2008, 04:50 PM
thats why you arent a hoon and the police arent targeting you..

do people get a bit silly at the spit?

i was never targetted as a hoon... just the places i liked to go

i'm not upset at the police doing their job really. just the media's portrayal of the story... and i know that is what they are payed to do... but seriously, get in there and be unbiased

about the same percentage of silly people as the carpark would have

btm
14th January 2008, 05:01 PM
but seriously, get in there and be unbiased

but then its not a story...

Ishley
14th January 2008, 05:28 PM
I saw the story on the news last night. Just as well you didnt get down tot he Spit earlier in the night Dee. As it was saturday night they did the blitz. You would have been stuck in the carpark until god knows what time.

Dee
14th January 2008, 05:31 PM
yeah after hearing about it, i was very glad we went through just before 2am. but we know everyone goes home at 11pm anyway... it's past their curfew then lol

Ishley
14th January 2008, 05:36 PM
I know its so stupid. They all leave the carpark at 10pm, then to tallai for something, then racing on the M1 - onto Springwood Macca's. Then to do skids somewhere. Its a long night. Bunch of bogans hahaha

oneightoo
14th January 2008, 05:46 PM
i was never targetted as a hoon... just the places i liked to go

i'm not upset at the police doing their job really. just the media's portrayal of the story... and i know that is what they are payed to do... but seriously, get in there and be unbiased

about the same percentage of silly people as the carpark would have

no one said you were a hoon..

they said it's where car hoons go - true, but they didnt say everyone who goes there is a hoon..

low astra
14th January 2008, 07:48 PM
however the opinion the police and media seem to have is that if your there your a hoon, its compleat bs,

i like to modify my cars, the worst i ever do is suspension mods, dont drive like a dickhead because its to uncomfortable when your low, and now its to unconfortable to drive fast cause im raised in a 4wd,

but when they start giving tickets like washer bottle level to low, you realise there just looking for extra money and trying to get the public to destroy the car culture

Dee
14th January 2008, 08:14 PM
no one said you were a hoon..

they said it's where car hoons go - true, but they didnt say everyone who goes there is a hoon..

that's the point.... noone actually said that "I" was a hoon.... but because i will be seen at the carpark or the spit where all the awesome and pretty cars are it is "assumed" that i am because of the crappy journalism :p

auzvectra
14th January 2008, 08:30 PM
i agree with dee and low definately.
although i have a very colourful youth, so i cant say too much about the young drivers, other then i had some common sense when doing things.
and i have been targeted for no reason other then driving a commodore with mags and a body kit before, i was pulled up for 2 1/2hrs for doing nothing other then the speed limit (and i was doing exactly the spped limit), after trying to defect me, then trying to say the car was stolen, they gave up and i went home.
i have been caught in many lock in's over the years, being locked in till 3-4 oclock inthe morning, for nothing other then a few tickets out of the hundreds of cars (back in the days of the spit at nite), or braodwater, to be locked in, only to be waved thru as my car was fine, but still having to wait for hrs for no reason then enjoying a passion, while meeting up with friends.
although it isnt all peachy, i have seen broady after a sat nite, the rubbish is disgusting, then have to sweep it with the trucks every sunday morning, mind you a few more bins wouldnt be a bad idea (there is prob less then 10 to 1000 car parks), although most wouldnt use them neway.
plenty more to say, but sick of typing for now ;).

auzvectra
14th January 2008, 08:32 PM
oh and my astra was filmed by a tv crew 1 nite (as a hoon!!!) because there was a car being defected within 50m of mine, and there wasnt many cars left.
we were there because a mates car was playing up, so we were 1 of the last to leave while we looked at it.

poita
14th January 2008, 10:38 PM
its the same as everything, one dickhead does it
so everyone is labeled.
when you do 115km/hr in a 60 zone wtf do u expect.
im with dee, and also the dude on teh news.
we are not hoons, wat is wrong with young ppl wanting to drive around in nice cars.
and meet up with other ppl who have the same passion.
i know its been heard before, but if they dont want shit like thsi to happen
y not provide more facilities for car enthusiasts to meet and gather in

/rant

Dave
15th January 2008, 04:52 AM
Yeah i agree, broady is normaly a pretty friendly meet, yeah theres the odd skid, but its mainly all about the cars, and the chicks, well i mean a good perve :p on cars that is.

Its normaly on the highway where the fun starts......... for some.

Cracked me up one night, a bike went absolutly blasting past us comeing out of southport closely followed by a cop on a bike, about 10 k up the M1 all we saw was a group of about 10 cops huddled around one of there speed camera's. I gues the bike got away with it.

And from being a friend with a cop, I can tell you, there are lots of people that get away from the cops, and some never get picked up, dodgy plates, no plates, stolen car, or they just cant get close enuff to read the plate.

I gues thats why i love it when they flaunt " Another hoon busted " on TV or in the news paper so much.

oneightoo
15th January 2008, 09:39 AM
that's the point.... noone actually said that "I" was a hoon.... but because i will be seen at the carpark or the spit where all the awesome and pretty cars are it is "assumed" that i am because of the crappy journalism :p

i never assumed you were.. i see where you're coming from tho, but i still think you're reading too much into it..

Ishley
15th January 2008, 10:11 AM
In the video footage of the news report. It shows a number of cars both leaving and being checked over by police. Now what i would not like is that they showed number plates of any car that crossed the camera.

The cars showed may have not had anything wrong with them. But when Joe and Jenny Smith recognise those cars on the road, they will think they are hoons. As they were shown in the news footage.

Giving my car and me a bad name, as i will automatically be thought of as a hoon

MatsHolden
15th January 2008, 11:49 AM
In the video footage of the news report. It shows a number of cars both leaving and being checked over by police. Now what i would not like is that they showed number plates of any car that crossed the camera.

The cars showed may have not had anything wrong with them. But when Joe and Jenny Smith recognise those cars on the road, they will think they are hoons. As they were shown in the news footage.

Giving my car and me a bad name, as i will automatically be thought of as a hoon

Joe and Jenny Smith must have bloody good memories!

Ishley
15th January 2008, 11:53 AM
Its not hard for people to remember personalised plates. And yes they did show them too. I can remember them, they were 61GLY on a white Starlet.

Dee
15th January 2008, 11:55 AM
and the plates are pink with white letters... i remember seeing it

Ishley
15th January 2008, 11:56 AM
And the girl was wearing a white top with VERY short camo skirt/pants. Shw also had blonde hair. See i can remember that and im queer. hahaha

Dee
15th January 2008, 11:57 AM
yep yep yep, that's the one

Ishley
15th January 2008, 11:59 AM
yep yep yep, that's the one
Skank!

Noooo, just kidding. She probably really is a lovely girl

MatsHolden
15th January 2008, 12:00 PM
It'll blow over, in a few weeks people aren't going to be thinking about the 'hoons' in the car park on the news. Unless they continue to bring it up. If you drive a car that has been 'done up' a bit then unfortunately you will be seen as a hoon by the people who aren't car minded. It's always been like that and probably always will be.

MatsHolden
15th January 2008, 12:01 PM
And the girl was wearing a white top with VERY short camo skirt/pants. Shw also had blonde hair. See i can remember that and im queer. hahaha

lol ok you Queenslanders have good memories.

oneightoo
15th January 2008, 12:22 PM

pics or ban :p

Ishley
15th January 2008, 12:27 PM
hahahaha..... i think i would get in trouble if i found any and posted them lol

Dee
15th January 2008, 12:32 PM
there are some on boostcruising ;)

Dee
15th January 2008, 07:16 PM
pics or ban :p

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5457/img1539un6.jpg

MatsHolden
15th January 2008, 07:23 PM
Nice... :p And Ishley your memory isn't as good as you think... that number plate is a bit different to what you thought. :D

Dee
15th January 2008, 07:31 PM
Nice... :p And Ishley your memory isn't as good as you think... that number plate is a bit different to what you thought. :D

close enough :p

Ishley
15th January 2008, 08:45 PM
Shit i saw that. But i almost remembered the girl perfectly. Isnt that funny hahahaha

poita
15th January 2008, 09:12 PM
hahaha was readin bout that car
tried to tell the cops that it was the alternator, not a supercharger lol

auzvectra
15th January 2008, 09:44 PM
maybe she thought it was ;).

Ishley
15th January 2008, 09:59 PM
Donna! She has Sportivo rims on her Starlet!!!! Blasfimy!!

Dee
15th January 2008, 10:10 PM
Donna! She has Sportivo rims on her Starlet!!!! Blasfimy!!
I know!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw that before... silly girly she is

poita
15th January 2008, 10:23 PM
well at least they are of the same breed!
my neighbour, with teh maroon mazda bravo ute
has merc hubcaps on it rofl

Dee
15th January 2008, 10:27 PM
theres a honda accord out there.. an older model with those same wheels on it.. the stivo ones lol