PDA

View Full Version : To Fog light or Not to Fog Light

DirtyHarry
12th January 2008, 02:40 PM
hey guys,
i put fog /driving light bezels on my front bumper with some mesh behind it. It looks ok, but i thought i would ask your opinion if i should buy some fog lights for the bezels instead. The fog /driving lights arent cheap just over $400 for both.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7311/dsc02261fe6.th.jpg (http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02261fe6.jpg)

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1143/dsc02265hi0.th.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02265hi0.jpg)

or i could use the right hand bezel and route it the air intake, giving the engine an extra 50kw at the wheels

imay
12th January 2008, 03:45 PM
Go for the extra 50kw . . . or . . . do both sides and double your power!!!!

tuzinski
12th January 2008, 04:18 PM
its a process of elimination:
1, do you drive around at night
2, power or lighting
3, just get them

RobCDX
12th January 2008, 07:43 PM
the intake alone gives an extra 50kw at the wheels? is that serious? coz im gonna put one in if it does enhance performance like that

mr corsa
12th January 2008, 07:49 PM
also ask yourself how much driving do i do in the fog?

platypus
12th January 2008, 11:58 PM
can you fit plain squares behind the bezel?

jsantos
13th January 2008, 02:59 AM
bugger the fog lights mate, sure they look kinda cool, except the bastard cops will use the "no use lighting that may dazzle other drivers" law to fine you for using them unless there's a real reason for having them on, i.e fog.

So your better off not paying money for something you can rarely use

DirtyHarry
13th January 2008, 09:07 AM
are they really fog lights or driving lights?

USC
13th January 2008, 03:40 PM
if u can source an aftermarket one from europe, that would be much cheaper...or try wreckers (give bennet wreckers in dandenong a call..they might post them to sydney).

WLD-18L
13th January 2008, 06:13 PM
i like the mesh mate. and for an intake just use a veccy c pipe. it will have a shorter more direct route to the airbox then a feed from down there.

DirtyHarry
13th January 2008, 06:26 PM
yeah thanks. mesh doesnt look too bad. i might try bennet wreckers, but id doubt they'd have one as these fog lights are more scares than the turbo alloy wheels.

Snotty
13th January 2008, 07:57 PM
yeah thanks. mesh doesnt look too bad. i might try bennet wreckers, but id doubt they'd have one as these fog lights are more scares than the turbo alloy wheels.

i know what you mean, when I had my old car and then hbd bars started popping with fog lights i enquired with holden and they wanted $900 odd just for the lights, brackets and fascias to add to my existing hbd bar.

i say go the whole hog and get the lights, looks hot.

low astra
13th January 2008, 08:06 PM
get aftermarket lights then make brackets to fit them,

Wraith
14th January 2008, 10:16 AM
are they really fog lights or driving lights?

Good question !

I've always (except as of late) thought they were and referred to them as driving lights...

Foggies I thought were the auxillary lights fitted with yellow bulbs ??? like my Silvia...

As for copping fines ??? I always activate and drive with them on my cars (both before total darkness and on very dark roads) and have never been pulled up by the cops as a result, even when I pass by them or they're right next to me...

In terms of blinding other road users, how can this be ?? as they are mounted lower down and only light up the immediate area just in front of the car !!!

If they are causing dazzling, then they are probably angled/mounted/installed incorrectly ;)

If you look at some newer cars with fog lights/driving lights, they are actually equipped with HID's - this is because they are 'LESS' likely to dazzle oncoming traffic, compared with the higher mounted headlights !

As for the original question - it's up to you, if you really want them and can get a set that fits/works properly go for it :)

btm
14th January 2008, 10:26 AM
get 'em - they could come in handy some time

my 2c

RobCDX
14th January 2008, 04:52 PM
a couple of months ago i was at an RBT. i was told to turn off my driving/fog lights, however i was driving in the middle of nowhere to a small country town. now it was pretty dark out there and i used them for the extra lighting. i thought they would've done me for my HID kit over using the driving/fog lights....

btm
14th January 2008, 05:04 PM
i was pulled into an RBT on wednesday night and they didnt say anything about mine

immenotu
14th January 2008, 05:53 PM
I use mine everytime its overcast, raining, foggy, at night or on the freeway and ive never had a problem (apart from getting flashed by 'those' people who do nothing but complain about foggies!)

The extra low lighting they give is great for showing up potholes in the road at night too.

sooty
14th January 2008, 07:20 PM
The extra low lighting they give is great for showing up potholes in the road at night too.

Not to mention Possums and Cats...

DirtyHarry
19th January 2008, 12:19 PM
just a quick one, is there anyone on this forum that has this hbd bumper with the fog lights. went to holden and they cant find the part for it...they are saying you have to use the normal fog lights and cut a bigger hole. which is incorrect.

rjastra
21st January 2008, 10:23 AM
They are fog lights NOT driving lights. Proper driving lights are activated with high beam.

I am totally amused by people thinking that throwing an extra 70-100W of light 5-15m in front of the car actually improves night driving when travelling at 20m+/sec (80km/h+) ;) All it really does is increase eye stress and glare.

Switch the bloody things off and rely on your main & highbeams (as required).