PDA

View Full Version : Insure against losing your licence

btm
10th January 2008, 01:27 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/now-you-can-insure-against-losing-your-licence/2008/01/10/1199554792935.html

Now you can insure against losing your licence

We insure our household contents, our cars and our precious belongings, now there's a policy to cover the consequences of losing a driver's licence.

The Loss of Licence Assistance policy was developed by the National Underwriting Agency for Australia.

It is designed to provide up to $1000 to cover transport related costs a month for three months to drivers with suspended licences.

Similar policies have proved popular in Britain.

However, Geoff Corrigan, chairman of the NSW Staysafe committee, is worried it might encourage careless driving.

"Though I can see some benefits, the insurance company has to take care that it doesn't encourage people to take risks," he said.

"In 2007, NSW had the lowest accidents and deaths on the road for 20 years.

"The message has started to get through to people and I hate to think that people would take out this policy and think they can drive with impunity.

"If people think that they can drive unsafely because they pay a premium to have their transport costs covered, I wonder if they will be afraid of the repercussions."

Despite the fact that the policy eases the financial burden of a licence suspension, Noel Johns a representative for National Underwriting Agency, believes that drivers are still getting punished for their offences.

"People will still need to ring up a taxi every morning or get other transport so they are still being inconvenienced by their loss of licence," he said.

Mr Johns said there was a market for such a policy in Australia.

"The policy is being introduced because of a proliferation of speed cameras that catch the normal everyday motorists who usually do not speed and who were caught just over the limit and find themselves accumulating points and receiving infringement notices," he said.

The policy applies to speeding offences that are worth three demerit points or less, so offences such as drink driving and driving while on a mobile phone would not be covered.

blueraven
10th January 2008, 04:12 PM
read the fine print :)

i saw a lengthy discussion on this on another forum, and when poeple investigated it, not only is the insurer not registered to practice in australia, they are not obligated to pay these policies by law, and in order to get one of these policies you must have never recieved a fine with 3 points or more....

btm
10th January 2008, 04:39 PM
you must have never recieved a fine with 3 points or more....

but the minimum loss is 3 points... dodgy ****ers

Wraith
10th January 2008, 05:06 PM
Damn, when I read the thread title, I thought it was to insure against actually losing your licence... :(

Pity, I'd take the policy and always do at least 200km/h on open freeways :D

EL BURITO
10th January 2008, 08:04 PM
but the minimum loss is 3 points... dodgy ****ers

well that is ****ed up part of driving in NSW

guess that means both of us couldn't get a policy then any way

Wraith
10th January 2008, 08:10 PM
I've copped a fine with the full 6 point whack :o

My zero tolerance 12 month sentence is almost over - just 2 months to go....

SKM_87
10th January 2008, 10:51 PM

i got pinged in vic for no p plates and that was 3 points. ive had a 19k over speeding fine cost me less points and money in wa.

is this some dodgy mexican insurance company

btm
11th January 2008, 08:58 AM
I've copped a fine with the full 6 point whack :o

My zero tolerance 12 month sentence is almost over - just 2 months to go....

had both of those in my time too :D

did my 12 month probation thing a few years back. best thing is, after the 12 months is up you go back to a full zero demerit points - that's great cause it usually takes 3 years to get back any points you lose

Wraith
11th January 2008, 01:37 PM
had both of those in my time too :D

did my 12 month probation thing a few years back. best thing is, after the 12 months is up you go back to a full zero demerit points - that's great cause it usually takes 3 years to get back any points you lose

Yep true, after the end of March, that's where I'll be :)

Just have to continue being very mindful/careful until then, it's quite difficult to always be at or below the speed limit, here in Vic it's so easy to get snapped where ever you are at only 5k's over the limit, bloody speed traps everywhere and bang the points start dropping :(

btm
11th January 2008, 01:49 PM
then its a double whamy too. lost for 12 months?

Wraith
11th January 2008, 01:57 PM
then its a double whamy too. lost for 12 months?

Correct...

When your on zero tolerance any incident that would cause the loss of any points, will result in an instant 12 month licence suspension :(

That's why on the last meet n cruise I went on, I was being continually left behind, I had no choice but to NOT speed anywhere I go....in fact I always stay 5k's below...

btm
11th January 2008, 02:04 PM
better to be safe than sorry!

i was exactly the same when i was on my probation licence... constantly looking at the speedo!

Wraith
11th January 2008, 02:40 PM
better to be safe than sorry!

i was exactly the same when i was on my probation licence... constantly looking at the speedo!

Very true...and TBH that ain't such a bad thing, it's a good natural habbit to have these days :)

btm
11th January 2008, 03:04 PM
Very true...and TBH that ain't such a bad thing, it's a good natural habbit to have these days :)

gees ange... sounds like you're getting all old and responsible :p

Wraith
11th January 2008, 04:24 PM
gees ange... sounds like you're getting all old and responsible :p

LOL already old enough (over 40) so about time I got responsible :D

jsantos
14th January 2008, 03:02 AM
by the way guys i just thought i'd point out the comment made by "Geoff Corrigan, chairman of the NSW Staysafe committee" about this year being the lowest well it was a tragic 445 where as last year it was 449

sources

2007 : http://www.caradvice.com.au/9032/2007-australian-road-toll/
2006 : http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/accidentstats2006.pdf

don't want to hijack into another road safety thread. It's just something that really pisses me off how ridiculous our road safety measures are and how manipulated the number are.