PDA

View Full Version : 19'' anyone

LITTLE SRI LOVER
9th January 2008, 02:42 PM
the sri '07 comes stock with 17 ince rims i want to get 19" on it can it be done both leagaly and not to cause to much scrubbing

Wraith
9th January 2008, 04:18 PM
19" wheels on an AH - yes no problems at all and no modifications required, as long as you stick to the correct offset and a rim width of no greater than 8" on this model...

Finish/type of rim is entirely up to you, I wouldn't be paying too much attention to other peoples thoughts, it's a personal thing, it mainly depends on the colour of the car and whatever you find aesthetically pleasing or practical and of course, what you prepared to pay ;)

SSS_Hoon
9th January 2008, 04:26 PM
it may not be legal though, also depends on the rolling diameter too.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
9th January 2008, 04:39 PM
it may not be legal though, also depends on the rolling diameter too.

SSS_Hoon

It is legal...

Most insurers allow 2 sizes up from stock - so 17" can go to 19" :)

You would have to check with your insurer though, as they do curtail what they let young or P plate drivers get away with ;)

As for O/A diameters, your ok with up to a + or - 4% difference form stock, that more than covers you if you select a low profile tyre.

A bumpier ride would be the only con...

PaulyJ
9th January 2008, 04:53 PM
Dont AH SRi's come with stock 18's?
VXR's come stock with 19's.
There are members here with 20's on the AH.

In regards to styles... thats completely up to you. There is no definate answer as to what best suits a coupe, as everyone will have a different opinion.

rusole21
9th January 2008, 05:19 PM

In regards to styles... thats completely up to you. There is no definate answer as to what best suits a coupe, as everyone will have a different opinion.
The turbo ones come with 18s

d.c.
9th January 2008, 05:30 PM
Just get what ever you like the best, after all its your car.

ps. I like the racing styles, get them! :D

LITTLE SRI LOVER
9th January 2008, 05:44 PM
kool thanks im thinkin the 19" are a goer that will look sweet i cant wait till i get them

06boost
9th January 2008, 06:07 PM
we have 19" rims on our astra it looks way betta

EL BURITO
9th January 2008, 10:32 PM

its a 2.2

AHSAM
9th January 2008, 10:50 PM
There are some nice 19s on the GTZ astras, SSW eclipse i think..

LITTLE SRI LOVER
9th January 2008, 11:07 PM
There are some nice 19s on the GTZ astras, SSW eclipse i think..

yer thare are mad i seen some good vidios on youtube of them they are the same as the hsv astra is that right :cool:

Wraith
10th January 2008, 12:41 PM
yer thare are mad i seen some good vidios on youtube of them they are the same as the hsv astra is that right :cool:

No, they're not...

They are from the SSW catalogue (Stamford wheels) same design as the 20's I'm currently running on my vert ;)

SSS_Hoon
10th January 2008, 01:43 PM
it seems they have changed the law again, as the 2" rule was a myth.

Minor changes to wheels

Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.

The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Rear wheels

The maximum permitted rear rim width for a particular vehicle is determined by its unladen weight (10 litres of fuel, no occupants or luggage) in accordance with the following tables:

Vehicles built to comply with ADR 24

(after 1/1/1973 for passenger cars)

Note: 25mm increase in wheel track limit also applies

Allowable rim width increase above the widest optional

wheel available for the axle assembly used Unladen weight
Up to 800kg 1"
801 - 1200kg 1.5"
1201kg & over 2"

Front wheels

Front wheels shall be:

No wider than the maximum permitted for rear wheels on your vehicle or 204mm (8 inches).

No narrower than 70% of that fitted to the rear wheels.

No narrower than a standard wheel fitted to the your vehicle as original equipment.

Front wheel drive vehicles

Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, front wheel widths shall be no more than 26mm greater than the widest optional wheel offered by the vehicle manufacturer. This requirement also applies to fourwheel drive vehicles with constant front wheel drive.

interseting hey.

LoL

SSS_Hoon

EL BURITO
10th January 2008, 01:52 PM
so 1 inch bigger than the largest spec factory wheels so you can have 20's and be legal as 19's are still a option from the dealer even if they are not on the web site

Wraith
10th January 2008, 08:57 PM
The 2" rule must have been born and put into place somewhere along the line, as I can remember going back with my Insurance policies over the years, I'd always bring up wheels with them, as this is a mod I've done to all my cars and the response always was you can go 2 sizes up on dia. max. maybe they arn't in touch with RTA laws ???

My Calibra has been 'sighted' (this was Feb. 2006) for better cover rate at the AAMI office in Nth Melb. and it is insured with 18's - stock size is 15" !!!! no one actually measured or asked for the o/a dia. which is slightly outside that limit quoted.

It still appears that way on my policy....maybe they pick n choose, mature age, blemish free record probably has something to do with it ???