PDA

View Full Version : Opinion On Exausts

LITTLE SRI LOVER
8th January 2008, 08:20 PM
witch is the best Xaust on the market im inclined to get a proper manufectured one insted of getting a custom one done
cause this is my thinking i dont want some kid who just started working at a place assuming that the line he thinks is good is the best for proformance
am i right in saying that or is that the better way to go

im confused plz help with advice

MatsHolden
8th January 2008, 08:22 PM
Custom is the only way to go mate with the Opels. Unless you want to import a system from Europe...

oneightoo
8th January 2008, 08:23 PM
if you ring around, you'll be get pretty much the same response in regards to size..

but what do you want from it?

do you want an overly loud rumble? do you want whisper quiet?

CNBLU
8th January 2008, 08:56 PM
i'd suggest you do some research on a x-force muffler, great little number which you can adjust the volume via remote control, so it wont be the same note all the time. ;)

aza28
8th January 2008, 09:16 PM
i don't think there are any pre-manufactured performance exhaust systems you can buy "off the shelf" in Aus for an Astra SRi H. Best to go custom anyway as it would probably work out cheaper - plus you'll be able to customise it to your own taste - i.e. what type of muffler you want - s/s or m/s etc etc etc.

Good luck with it.

MatsHolden
8th January 2008, 09:22 PM
The closest thing to a 'pre-manufactured' exhaust in Aus for the AH Turbo would be from Walkinshaw Performance.

blueraven
8th January 2008, 09:56 PM
www.websters-dictionary.com

but jokes aside, the xforce muffler is a nice piece of kit :)

LITTLE SRI LOVER
8th January 2008, 10:21 PM
sounds good i want to get a little louder on the Db side but not over the top so that you cant hear anything i will at the x-force it sound good i like the adjustment for volume it adds a certain bling factor

thanks

shoey85
8th January 2008, 10:28 PM
Remus would do 1 but big $$

http://www.bestmufflers.com/Remus_Exhaust_Systems/remus_Holden_Astra.htm#aht1

ROCCO
9th January 2008, 12:52 AM
I like them loud but not power robbing....hence got mine custom made...sounds almost like a rally exhaust hehe....basically mine is a straight through pipe to a muffler...bloody loud inside the car and outside but still has more power (only slighty) than the stock Astra with the crappy stock system....should have a little bit more power too once I get off my ass and install the new intake with enclosed POD...muhahaha

PaulyJ
9th January 2008, 01:16 AM
Haven't heard your rally exhaust in a while George...

The only way to go atm would be a custom exhaust. You will get the right note you want, and it'll work out cheaper for you aswell.

SKM_87
9th January 2008, 01:30 AM
mate, go to a shop, ask them to show you pics of previous systems they have built or are car they have in at the moment, you will tell who does a good job. bolt on systems are shit, never fit properly. custom is the way. a good shop will give you a guanretee on its work. got for a stainless steel system. spend the dosh for a longer lasting system.

i'd suggest for your sounds a 2 1/4 system with a 12x8x4 inch muffler and a 4inch round resi. magnaflow are good mufflers, lukey do good stainless ones too.

oh, and volume adjustable mufflers are a wank and should be melted in statues of turd. dont get one, it WILL die. waste of money.

CNBLU
9th January 2008, 02:08 AM
magnaflow are good mufflers,

ive had mine for over 2 years, had it on my old car and it sounds horn. very happy with my magnaflow muffler:D

LITTLE SRI LOVER
9th January 2008, 11:40 AM
the custom sounds the way to go i will go on a mission to the exaust place and see what they got

PaulyJ
9th January 2008, 12:53 PM
What area are you in?

GreenMachine
9th January 2008, 01:20 PM
Just make sure that whoever builds your exhaust builds it with mandrel bends rather than press bends... stainless is a wank, volume adjustable is a wank unless it's a 500 cube hotrod with lakes pipes. Magnaflow mufflers aren't bad, I'd stay away from Lukeys, I'm currently using Hooker Aerochambers which rock but are a bit pricey. Don't let them put the muffler (if there's only one) right up at the bumper end, unless you want to sound like the window-lickers who drone around in their cannon-exhausted Silvia's...

LITTLE SRI LOVER
9th January 2008, 01:34 PM
What area are you in?
at the moment im out near mornigton paninsila
im in the navy (hold the jokes) so i dont really know any places down that way

rusole21
9th January 2008, 02:28 PM
Just make sure that whoever builds your exhaust builds it with mandrel bends rather than press bends... stainless is a wank, volume adjustable is a wank unless it's a 500 cube hotrod with lakes pipes. Magnaflow mufflers aren't bad, I'd stay away from Lukeys, I'm currently using Hooker Aerochambers which rock but are a bit pricey. Don't let them put the muffler (if there's only one) right up at the bumper end, unless you want to sound like the window-lickers who drone around in their cannon-exhausted Silvia's...
What are you talking about mate? Why is it a wank to have an exhaust that flows great and is therefore loud when ya fangin it by yourself and the quiet for when your with your fam and want to have a conversation? :confused:

oneightoo
9th January 2008, 02:30 PM
stainless is a waste of money tho..

GreenMachine
9th January 2008, 02:59 PM
What are you talking about mate? Why is it a wank to have an exhaust that flows great and is therefore loud when ya fangin it by yourself and the quiet for when your with your fam and want to have a conversation? :confused:

Well, the ones I suspect you're talking about are just a throttle plate in the exhaust, so you can go from massive restriction (quiet setting) to jumbo jet... it's all about noise, rather than performance. Any exhaust builder with limited mental capacity can build a system that's not a great deal louder than stock, has a good note and is no longer a restriction.

The only way of doing a cutout-style exhaust is to have a side pipe branched from the main system before the mufflers that diverts your exhaust around the mufflers, the equivalent of running a zoomie-style open pipe,

http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_graphics/freshman_year/exhaust_cutout_explanation/prefab_exhaust_cutouts.jpg

which would sound like arse on a 4cyl, and I suspect that with modern engine management/efi would run like arse too.

It's just wank factor... Do you want power, or do you want 10 year olds on the bus looking at you? If the answer is (b), you should probably trade the Opel on one of these

http://y2u.co.uk/&002_Images/Photos_Pink_Cadilac/Pink_Cadillac_Escalade.jpg

rusole21
9th January 2008, 05:06 PM
See here
http://xforce.com.au.tmp.anchor.net.au/cars/view_car/29

No one in the whole world would use that sort off abortion on a 4 cyl road car! Yes technology has moved forward so by sayin its wank is an uneducated view point. As far as people sayin stainless is wank. Yes if the intention is to have it all polished up etc.. but for those that want their exhausts to last along time then no. MS exhausts die very quickly. Unless painted and upkept alot. My stainless exhaust is great! Sound mintox and will last!

LITTLE SRI LOVER
9th January 2008, 05:47 PM
as far as warenty goes does a exaust void the warrenty on the engine or just the exust line

SKM_87
9th January 2008, 08:05 PM
only if exhaust is the reason for the fault (unlikely).

ok, i make exhaust every day, its what i do and a rather decent job. stainless not a wank. only hi-polish stuff is. stainless will last ages, my shop does a 10year guarentee on our systems. for mild steel we do a 1 year. do you think theres a difference. mild steel at best will last 4-5 years. the usal is about 3 years. luket stainless mufflers are a good product, havnt been hit buy cost cutting like many other brands. ive used many a different brand in search for quality products and its one of the better one.

i havnt seen one of those mufflers before, i dont deal with xforce products though. still would do it myself though.

aza28
9th January 2008, 10:35 PM
oh, and volume adjustable mufflers are a wank and should be melted in statues of turd. dont get one, it WILL die. waste of money.

mate all i can say is i got one (X-force Varex muffler) - and would recommend it to anyone. Esp. if your cars a daily driver. Even the Zo6 corvette has a similar system - using butterfly valves - except its fully automated and works on revs. Def. not a waste of money IMHO - one of the better investments i've made infact.

PaulyJ
10th January 2008, 01:28 AM
at the moment im out near mornigton paninsila
im in the navy (hold the jokes) so i dont really know any places down that way

Speak with Mat (MatsHolden). He live in your area, and can recommend a good exhaust fitter in your area.

LITTLE SRI LOVER
10th January 2008, 02:15 PM
k will do that thanks

MatsHolden
11th January 2008, 02:38 AM
Just make sure that whoever builds your exhaust builds it with mandrel bends rather than press bends... stainless is a wank, volume adjustable is a wank

You won't notice a difference whether it's crush bent or mandrel bent on a road car with a cat-back exhaust. You might be lucky to get 0.0001kw increase with mandrel bends as opposed to crush. Unless you are pushing out some serious numbers and after every little bit then do it but otherwise don't worry about it, waste of money.

WLD-18L
13th January 2008, 06:17 PM
only if exhaust is the reason for the fault (unlikely).

mild steel at best will last 4-5 years. the usal is about 3 years.

correct me if im wrong but arnt stock exhaust made from mild steel ? they last alot longer than that.

SKM_87
13th January 2008, 06:25 PM
some are some arn't. ive seen systems rot away after 2 years

basicly you get condensation build up in your system. which rots mild steel. a system can last a long tiume if you do alot of long drive instead of short trips and short trips dont allow for enough heat build up to evaporate the condensation.

WLD-18L
13th January 2008, 06:29 PM
some are some arn't. ive seen systems rot away after 2 years

basicly you get condensation build up in your system. which rots mild steel. a system can last a long tiume if you do alot of long drive instead of short trips and short trips dont allow for enough heat build up to evaporate the condensation.

cool. thanks for the info

GreenMachine
14th January 2008, 10:31 AM
You won't notice a difference whether it's crush bent or mandrel bent on a road car with a cat-back exhaust. You might be lucky to get 0.0001kw increase with mandrel bends as opposed to crush. Unless you are pushing out some serious numbers and after every little bit then do it but otherwise don't worry about it, waste of money.

I picked up nearly 20hp at the wheels going from press bent to mandrel bent, same design, same mufflers. But I guess that's all relative - that could be an 80% increase for some of these cars.

Re: mild steel v stainless, SKM87 should probably stop building exhausts from tin cans - What sort of mild steel system rusts away in a year, unless it's parked at the bottom of the ocean?

SKM_87
14th January 2008, 08:37 PM
on what car though? you will notice f.a ina 2 sumfin litre 4 cyl.

depends on how it gets used, as i said

EL BURITO
14th January 2008, 09:28 PM
holden Warranty on your exhaust is only 1 year compeared to rest of car so is prob not ss