PDA

View Full Version : GTI Golf with DSG torque steer.

Shaun
6th January 2008, 07:01 PM
and everyone bags the VXR out for it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-MAD19BFVw

Wraith
7th January 2008, 12:03 PM
All 'single wheeler' (non LSD) FWD cars whether auto or manual, have some amount of torque steer, my V6 Cali has very pronounced torque steer if gunned hard from take off and it's an auto...but I don't think it's a problem at all.

The more power a has car with the above set up, the more pronounced the torque steer, the more people will bring it up and winge about it.

SSS_Hoon
7th January 2008, 12:58 PM
Torque steer is fun makes you a better driver.

LoL

SSS_Hoon

Apex
7th January 2008, 03:03 PM
Looks about the same as my Astra :p
Tones of fun :)

SSS_Hoon
7th January 2008, 04:06 PM
the tiny amount of torque steer in this clip is nothing, i want to know where it was filmed as it does not look like a track so must be public roads 245KPH or there abouts OMG.....

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
7th January 2008, 07:36 PM
the tiny amount of torque steer in this clip is nothing, i want to know where it was filmed as it does not look like a track so must be public roads 245KPH or there abouts OMG.....

SSS_Hoon

Damian the point i was making was that ALL FWD turbo's will torque steer.

oneightoo
7th January 2008, 08:07 PM
my V6 Cali has very pronounced torque steer if gunned hard from take off and it's an auto...but I don't think it's a problem at all.

really??

my 16v doesnt have any at all.. and mine is punchier than troys v6.. strange..

btm
7th January 2008, 08:35 PM
really??

must be all in the driver :rolleyes: :D

blueraven
7th January 2008, 08:58 PM
really??

my calibra had a little....

the astra doesnt much if you are in a straight line...but if you are hammering round a corner in 2nd i t can catch you out :D.

LSD or not, if it has unequal length drive shafts (the more unequal the worse it will be) then it will have torque steer regardless. my old suzuki alto had terrible torque steer (1.0l 3cyl of FURY!!) and yet my 3.0v6 camry has vitually none.

cbrmale
7th January 2008, 10:28 PM
My two previous front-wheel-drives had torque steer, but not my Astra. It might be the traction control coupled with the wide sticky tyres, but I think it's more to do with the suspension. With the Astra, the harder I nail it before the apex, the more front grip I get. It took a while to get used to this. And the 2.2 direct motor is very torquey, so I've had lots of practice on Canberra's many roundabouts (apologies to anyone in conventional cars following me).

Wraith
7th January 2008, 11:28 PM
really??

Yes, it has quite alot ! if I don't hold the steering wheel and take off hard, it'll make a quick snap 1/4 to 1/3 left turn LOL :)

I'll try and make a vid of it to show you....my Calis V6 is very torquey. I found a U.K. 2.5ltr V6 Cali site ages ago that showed dynoed power/torque outputs of various years V6 Calis and they were all over the place, converted back to flywheel power, they ranged from the quoted 125kw/227nm for some V6's to over 150kw/270nm for others, (all stock standard) I've driven other V6 Calis including Troys, mine does seem to be a bit of freak engine by comparison.

It actually has more torque steer with any of the aftermarket wheels fitted, than with the stockies, due to better grip, the stockies would spin quite alot.

But as I've said, I don't find it to be a problem at all, what I do find annoying is its willingness to 'tram line' with every nook and cranny and groove on the road surface LOL, no other car I've ever had has done this as bad and its alignment (all 4 wheels) is spot on too.....it'll do this with any rim tyre combination I put on it...

MatsHolden
7th January 2008, 11:34 PM
what I do find annoying is its willingness to 'tram line' with every nook and cranny and groove on the road surface LOL, no other car I've ever had has done this as bad and its alignment (all 4 wheels) is spot on too.....it'll do this with any rim tyre combination I put on it...

How's your camber mate? Noticed since lowering mine it tramlines alot, due to the negative camber on the fronts as a result of lowering. It's really bad at times, to the point where I think i've got a flat tyre on the front!

Wraith
7th January 2008, 11:42 PM
How's your camber mate? Noticed since lowering mine it tramlines alot, due to the negative camber on the fronts as a result of lowering. It's really bad at times, to the point where I think i've got a flat tyre on the front!

That could be the case, but I remember it doing just as bad when I 1st purchased the car and ran it on the stock wheels and suspension for at least 6 months before modding....

But your right about how bad it can be, I'm always checking the pressures to make sure the wheels are even on either side and a recent 4 wheel alignment with a rear camber kit fitted also didn't fix the problem ?? :(

Forgot to mention my Vert is lowered more than my Cali and has no rear kit, but has never had any such problem...

NXA-16H
8th January 2008, 01:42 AM
and everyone bags the VXR out for it...
<snip>

Well, I don't know. The only person I've seen or heard bagging out a VXR-badged anything is that testicle of a man Jeremy Clarkson.

Let's face it. Any front-wheel-drive vehicle, irrespective of the power delivery, is going to suffer some degree of Torque Steer.

Hell, my frigging Zafira pulls to the left slightly if I take off quickly from a standing start.

Perhaps what's giving that golf a greater torque steer than others is an excessive power surge to the wheels, from a turbo perhaps.

I also noticed that it's pulling to the right, not to the left, as in the Zafira, or even my old Barina.

Curious that.

NXK-43Y

Wraith
8th January 2008, 12:56 PM
Left or Right side pull will depend on which of the front wheels is getting the engine power/torque delivered to it...

Most FWD cars have the power delivered to the left hand front wheel, most 'single wheeler' RWD cars will have the power delivered to the rear right side wheel.

Apex
8th January 2008, 02:52 PM
my calibra had a little....

the astra doesnt much if you are in a straight line...but if you are hammering round a corner in 2nd i t can catch you out :D.

LSD or not, if it has unequal length drive shafts (the more unequal the worse it will be) then it will have torque steer regardless. my old suzuki alto had terrible torque steer (1.0l 3cyl of FURY!!) and yet my 3.0v6 camry has vitually none.

Spot on! Listen to this man :)

Wraith
8th January 2008, 03:32 PM
My V6 auto Cali must have very unequal length drive shafts :D

SSS_Hoon
8th January 2008, 03:57 PM
Our GTI with the traction control off is like that but that aint that bad, with it on there is nowhere near as much there.

My SSS on the other hand is crazy bad but that is mostly due to the fact that most if not all the front suspension bushes are either gone or nearly gone hehe with a heap of movement everywhere oops.

SSS_Hoon

d.c.
10th January 2008, 09:48 PM
That doesn't look that bad, the more modern turbo cars do not seem to suffer as badly as older turbo cars.
A friend had an Cordia turbo with a little work done to it and that would swap lanes on take off and again on the change into second.

SSS_Hoon
11th January 2008, 06:27 AM
A friend had an Cordia turbo with a little work done to it and that would swap lanes on take off and again on the change into second.

His name wouldnt be Roger would it?

:D :D :D

SSS_Hoon

poita
11th January 2008, 08:48 PM

SSS_Hoon

hahahahahahahaha

dug74
12th January 2008, 01:00 PM
I wouldnt know what torque steer is <coughs>

The MPS 3 has LSD and you can still spin both wheels...and also change a few lanes on a quick takeoff.

Its all good...unless you have a tuckshop arms...TS isnt really an issue.

Happy Motoring
duglet

USC
13th January 2008, 03:37 PM
torque steer can be fun but can also be dangerous...

d.c.
13th January 2008, 06:11 PM

SSS_Hoon

hahaha no not that guy.

CORZZA
28th January 2008, 12:46 PM
the GTI's are so over rated!

CORZZA
28th January 2008, 12:47 PM
I wouldnt know what torque steer is <coughs>

The MPS 3 has LSD and you can still spin both wheels...and also change a few lanes on a quick takeoff.

Its all good...unless you have a tuckshop arms...TS isnt really an issue.

Happy Motoring
duglet

i know the feeling! Just keep the right arm staight and hold on tight and its all good!

Dave
29th January 2008, 01:30 AM
i like to let mine " Dance a little " kinda freaks the car beside you out.

It can be a pig sometimes, it all depends on the road surface ive found.

Theres this one set of lights where i live, that in the wet, if you slightly gun it, the fronts find the groove and try to steer ya into a light pole, great fun that is :cool:

CORZZA
29th January 2008, 05:11 PM
its scary when it suddenly digs in!

Wraith
1st February 2008, 12:42 PM
It can be a pig sometimes, it all depends on the road surface ive found.

Spot on ;)

OPC
2nd February 2008, 12:19 AM
the GTI's are so over rated!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

CORZZA
2nd February 2008, 02:01 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

hehehe ;)

Hey man!! Long time no speak! How things??

OPC
2nd February 2008, 04:12 PM
hehehe ;)

Hey man!! Long time no speak! How things??

yeah not bad... and you ?

i see you have a new car... sell the toyota did you?

been on the OOC lately ?

CORZZA
2nd February 2008, 04:14 PM
yeah not bad... and you ?

i see you have a new car... sell the toyota did you?

been on the OOC lately ?

well i traded in the toyota! Got a great price for her.

yeah im on there alot

dug74
3rd February 2008, 01:54 PM
OOC????

or OMC <ozmazdaclub.com> :dance: :dance:

Yep...nice new car...shame its True Red.

Happy Motoring
duglet

OPC
3rd February 2008, 02:30 PM
OOC????

Happy Motoring
duglet

nah dug OOC buddy ;) Opel Owners Club in south africa

CORZZA
3rd February 2008, 03:04 PM
OOC????

Happy Motoring
duglet

Nothing wrong with sticking out like a sore thumb!