PDA

View Full Version : Oil for Astra SRi 2.2

McG
16th January 2004, 03:43 PM
Hey All,

30K service coming up and Im going to buy some Mobil 1 from Kmart and take it to Holden.

This may sound stupid but is all Mobil 1 the same or do I need a certain bottle for my car (2002 2.2 SRi) ?

Thanks,

McG

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 03:51 PM
Theres now 3 Different types of Mobil 1, Bare with me here.
0w-5, 15w-40(Original) and 10W-50(I Think).
As I've read from other Astra Owners, They don't like Mobil 1 too Much.
It causes Valve Train Chatter on Start up till Warm.
I'm using Castrol Synthetic R 15W-50) and I don't have no real problem except when cold its sluggish coz the Oil is Thick till Warm.

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 04:04 PM
ATM i have Castrol GTX3... has Magnatec b4. Both seen to be good oils to use.

SmellyTofu
16th January 2004, 04:58 PM
Never had a problem with the KMart variant (5W-50) nor the Shell Helix Ultra either (5W-40). Had all Mobil 1 (except 1 Shell oil) changes every 7.5k since 5k. I'm at 52k now. Going for another change this weekend.

NUTTTR
20th January 2004, 01:05 AM
only prob is the 2.2L with the stupid timing chain, when starting it makes enough of a chatter as it is..... i don't want it doing that any more than it does......
Mobil 1 will only make it worse AFAIK, but i want to know what oil to use too.... previously used penzoil semi synth in my last car, was the BEST oil i ever used, magnatec by far the worst in any car i've used, GTX2 was second worst!
Aaron

astrix
20th January 2004, 08:50 AM
Just like to know. Whats wrong with Magnatec?

imay
20th January 2004, 11:19 AM
Yea! I'm with Astrix. What is this boo hoo with Magnatec? I'm no oil guru, and I know oils aint oils, but Magnatec seems to have received a bit of a knocking on the other site also. My Holden service centre use it (probably cheap!), so I can't imagine they would put it in if it wasn't any good. If it was going to damage an engine, I'm sure it would do it within the 3 year warranty period, so they would cop the end bill if it was no good.
Please do tell, I'd love to know. Or is it personal preference only. Don't like the color/shape of the bottle it comes in? Brocky, Murphy or DJ don't endorse it? What is it?
Ian

SmellyTofu
20th January 2004, 11:53 AM
I think what is wrong with it is that it creates sludge in the oil galleries. This is what I remember someone here and other sites have said. I personally don't used Magnatec except once when I was still running in the engine but only for 3,500km.

And if you think that Holden would get the right stuff, you'd be kidding yourself as Castrol has a quite a heavy presence in the NSW market with their oils. GTX3 to last 15,000km... I highly doubt it. Longer service intervals is a selling point which is why they extended the intervals.

imay
20th January 2004, 01:37 PM
I'm from the old school and will probably never accept that oil in a car can endure 12 months/15k of stop-start driving on the one sump full. I'll always have my oil changed every 6 months/7.5k regardless. Up to now I've been happy with the Magnatec, but going on this (and other) discussion, may be it's time to reconsider and seek some accurate advice.
In the meantime, keep the opinions coming guys.
Ian.

Mofok
20th January 2004, 02:17 PM
I remember on the old casing for Magnatec it used to say that this oil is not a car enthusiast oil and it is not recommended for hard driving. It is just the regular crap oil with this charge particle rubbish. Like GTX2 and 3, it is recycled from used oils. With Mobil1 or Shell Ultra synthetic, they are thin enough to flow up your engine when cold pretty fast anyhow, plus they protect in hard driving long after magnatec has given up the ghost.

NUTTTR
20th January 2004, 05:49 PM
magnatec, in every car i've used it in, has "leaked" from the engine, all of a sudden, the engine leaks oil after about 2000k's of driving, put good oil in and it doesn't leak at all after 2000k's.... Magnatec does sludge a bit too, i'd liken it to GTX2 with a different label and more exxy
Aaron

sri48u
21st January 2004, 08:21 AM
I've just changed the oil in my SRi Turbo,and went for Mobil 1. It seems good,better than holden product. I also believe in changing oil more regularly,every 6mths or 5000km. Its a small price to pay for peace of mind,especially when the car gets driven hard regularly! :wink:

Dregger
21st January 2004, 08:52 AM
Well i just got my car serviced last week, got the whole deal doen, brake and cluth fluid. Fuel filter. spark plugs, general tune up. And i decided to use Motul 8300. ITs from france, and what i've been told is that the european standards of oil are much higher than here. For instance this is a 1005 synthetic, but they classify mobil 1 as semi sysnthetic, compared to their standards.

So far its running like a treat!

astrix
21st January 2004, 09:33 AM
I've been following this discussion on oil because I'm trying to decide what to use in the Astra. I'm going to change the oil every six months because the other half uses the car to get to work every day and that's a 10 min trip each way. At this stage I am tending to think a full synthetic is overkill on a no turbo car that doesn't get onto a race track.
I was considering using Magnatec but I'm not so sure now. I was suprised by the comments.
My other car is 20 years old with 200k on the clock. I've had it for 15 years and done 150k.
For the first 10 years I always changed to oil when the on board computer indicated it was time, worked out to 10 -12 months and about 12k.
The last 5 years the car's only been doing 4-5k a year and the oil has been changed yearly.
The engine doesn't use any oil at all and no oil leaks. The engine hasn't been touched apart from scheduled cam belt changes. The seat of the pants feeling is it still pulls as hard as it did when I bought it and the fuel consumption tends to back this up.
The oil used was Castrol GTX seventy percent of the time, mainly because it was always on special somewhere. I'm sure the results would have been similar if I'd used Mobil or Shell's mineral multi grade oil.
I don't think oils are as fragile as many people think. At work we have doubled the oil change interval of our stationary engines from two weeks to four. Four weeks running would be equivalent to about 60k.
Anyway I think Ive rambled on enough.
Has any one tris tried a synthetic oil branded "AC Delco" ? Sold at local Holden dealers for $39

rjastra
21st January 2004, 02:37 PM
A few questions?

Why put exxy synthetic oil in a car and then change it every 5000km? What a waste of oil and money. Synthetic oil should be able to easy handle 10000km oil change intervals.

The other point is this... how long are you guys going to keep your cars? I reckon it would be an effort for most of you to hang onto a car for more than 3 years :wink: Therefore why waste money (and time) unnecessarily changing oil if you aren't going to keep if for 100+K km? All you are doing is chucking your money at the NEXT owner of the car.

I get my oil changed as scheduled with the oil the Holden dealer supplies (Magnatec). Never noticed a significant oil usage between servicing either and no unwanted engine noises. The car doesn't get babied either!!

I have followed the routine serving in ALL my cars (some upto 100,000km) with no issues what so ever. So I ahve my doubts about the benefits of excessive oil changes.

NUTTTR
24th January 2004, 04:19 PM
Well i just got my car serviced last week, got the whole deal doen, brake and cluth fluid. Fuel filter. spark plugs, general tune up. And i decided to use Motul 8300. ITs from france, and what i've been told is that the european standards of oil are much higher than here. For instance this is a 1005 synthetic, but they classify mobil 1 as semi sysnthetic, compared to their standards.

So far its running like a treat!

Where do you get motul from?

Dregger
29th January 2004, 07:11 PM
RJASTRA :mainly cause its runs better now.....than it did on shitty catstrol gtx2 crap that holden put in.

NUTTR: from autobarn on doncaster road, opposite shoppo'mate'hey

about $55

great stuff!!